Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Tahoe<Mammoth<Snowbird<AK
    A Region<A Ski Area<A Ski Area<A State -- huh??

In other news, the pass-which-shall-not-be-named means I'll get to ride the lifts at Mammy again! AND June!! Whoop whoop!!! Guess I'll go hit that other ski area in utah too... and that ski area in Wyoming, and that group of four ski areas in Colorado....
    sproing!

Mammoth 16/17

Thanks for that, but it was such a weird comment I think we all just let it go...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

This past week was one of the windiest and coldest weeks I've spent in Mammoth in sometime. Cold temps made for some of the lighter pow days that we ever get here, this past Friday being one of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	225890
    Driving over Deadmans last Thursday night after visiting a buddy in Lee Vining. That section of 395 from the June Lake junction to Crest View is a weather magnet.

Name:	IMG_1225.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	920.9 KB 
ID:	225891
    Driving back to Reno on Saturday night I took the back roads thru Smith Valley. This was the temp when I pulled over at Sweet Water summit. Froze my ass off all last week. Don't know how those guys in Big Sky do it.

Name:	San Gorgonio .jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	225892
    Flew down to SD from Reno on Sunday to see my Dad and the lack of snow pack in the Sierras is really apparent from the air. The is San Gorgonio as we were flying over So Cal with almost zero snow on it Hopefully that changes this week. I'm driving up on Wednesday from SD hoping to time the storm cycle right.

Thinking about heading up Friday night (possibly stay in Bishop, cheaper lodging) and come back to LA late Sunday, anybody else heading up?

I'll be heading up Friday night from LA probably from 8-1am. looks like we'll get to the incline right in the thick of it. What are the chances they start closing roads? I have awd and chains

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

We are heading up Friday night. Looking like its going to be a bit of a brutal slog...
    He who has the most fun wins!

Me too. Have a family trip planed. My wife , Daughter and two grandkids are supposed to fly up mid day Friday. They already got an email about a cancellation or rescheduling of the flight
    I don’t think the flight will leave San Diego
    We have a house rented so Me and my son in law will be driving up.
    Should be adventurous. Don’t think I will be able to get out in the backcountry but bringing the gear anyway
    If it’s open I will be at the resort Saturday
    If it settles out Sunday I may skin

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    I'll be heading up Friday night from LA probably from 8-1am. looks like we'll get to the incline right in the thick of it. What are the chances they start closing roads? I have awd and chains

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Pretty good if it comes as fast and furious as Howard is calling for coupled with the official "blizzard warning" from the NWS. It's also gonna be cold af which means the roads will hold a lot of the snow quick...

Even if you have the right ride don't discount the yahoo factor....90% of the people I see in ditches are SUVs most of which probably have summer tires/drivers who never really have driven on the reg in snow. Stay frosty...

On my way! Left Point Loma just after 1:00 pm and beat the traffic. Made it thru Adelanto with no problem and am taking a break at 4 corners. Hoping my timing is spot on and that tomorrow brings some epic storm riding. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by clausen View Post
    Nice edit. The ski chucking and butt slide was amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Should be adventurous. Don’t think I will be able to get out in the backcountry but bringing the gear anyway
    If it’s open I will be at the resort Saturday. If it settles out Sunday I may skin
    Dkla52 took Avi-1 last weekend and the class found some layers that probably won't like the additional loading this week.

Name:	Screenshot_20180228-130437.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	226186

Its getting deep out there!

Epic day of storm riding. Heavy snow starting around mid morning and still dumping. Over a foot and deeper in the trees. Last check it was 19 deg out , making for cold blower pow. Lots of face shots to be had. Ch 22 was still chugging away as if a few minutes ago but winds are building.

Name:	85785570-0E30-49FD-9989-DCE1DC737E4B.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	226227
    Looks like the top of 22 just had a wind gust of 80+ mph. Won’t be long til it shuts down. Going to try to get one more run in.

Nice! I hit the bear a couple times today. Hope my legs hold out for another three days.

The latest from the NWS for those thinking about driving up tonight.....

Including the cities of Bridgeport and Mammoth Lakes 945 PM PST Thu Mar 1 2018

BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM PST FRIDAY...
    ...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST
    SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Moderate to heavy snow occurring, with periods of blizzard conditions through midday Friday.
    Strong winds and heavy snowfall rates will cause areas of whiteout conditions.
    Additional snow accumulations of 2 to 4 feet in the Sierra, with up to a foot along and east of Highway 395.

* WHERE...Mono County

Avoid travel if possible, you could be stuck in your vehicle for many hours. If you must travel, prepare for long delays and carry
    an emergency kit with extra food, water and clothing. This is a life threatening situation. Do not attempt to travel!
    Road crews and first responders may not be able to rescue you. Stay indoors until the snow and wind subside.
    Even a short walk could be deadly if you become disoriented.

Best to wait until at least Saturday, possibly Sunday. Nothing but wind slab crusty mank out there today.

Got woken up a few minutes ago by a huge wind gust. Went outside to take a look. Near white out conditions at times.

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	226464
    We had the driveway blown and the trucks cleared of snow at 9:00 p.m. Snowed quite a bit since then.
    Looks like 395 is currently closed from Mammoth to Bridgeport due to zero visibility.

Name:	IMG_1243.PNG 
Views:	85 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	226467
    A quick look at the ski patrol sight shows the wind gusting to 134 MPH over the top. Don't think any gondi runs are in the near future.
    This storm delivered the goods. Can't wait to get out there this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	226465  

I was planning to leave San Diego at 1pm to head up. Doesn't look like a fun ride out there. Will keep people posted on here if there are closures or it gets super hairy.

Quote Originally Posted by trex_9 View Post
    I was planning to leave San Diego at 1pm to head up. Doesn't look like a fun ride out there. Will keep people posted on here if there are closures or it gets super hairy.
    I left my Dads house in Point Loma on Wednesday and was able to get thru the IE, the 15-215 merge, and then Adelanto with no problems. But, your always just one accident away from total gridlock. You didn’t miss that much here today. I got in a few good runs first thing this morning, but winds shut down a lot of chairs today and wind slabbed the snow in places. Also crowds are double from yesterday, when it just got deeper thru out the day and refills were plentiful.

Name:	CDB1C5B5-EA48-40CE-BBB9-1A1DEE50602F.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	226537
    The view of ch 1 (not running) from Tusks bar, where I am currently posted up.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 03-02-2018 at 05:08 PM.

I will be leaving about 330 am tomorrow morning. I'm figuring it will be slow going, maybe two hours from Bishop to Mammoth if I'm lucky, so if I get a noon to 4 day tomorrow I will be happy.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by clausen View Post
    Its getting deep out there!

Nice!!
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

No chain control all the way to Mammoth. Town chain control in effect. 395 is dry to the 203
    203isclear to Minaret Road. Snowed off and on I got here around 3pm today. Snowed hard around 5pm. Windy

Town roads are snow covered

Driving back to Reno right now. Got stopped at a chain control half mile North of 203/395 exit in my 2017 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 with MS tires. Barely was able to talk my way past it saying I don’t carry chains because if it’s ever R3 conditions, I’m not driving in it. Also helped that I had food, water and sleeping bag.

From Bridgeport North it has been nuking snow. Saw a wreck in Walker Canyon due to zero vis. Be careful out there.