Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

Grumpy‘s is shut.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Food in Mammoth sucks. To many Chefs with too many “ fusion foods”.

Yeah I only eat at brewery and Twomey’s. Or I cook
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

The Stove has good breakfast if you have lots of time to kill in the morning. Slocums before 6 isn't bad for happy hour grub.

The Stove is the best place in Mammoth IMO. I wish they would stay open for dinner.

I'm not your typical California Consumer though. I don't eat Sushi , I want a meal that fills me up after a day of skinning and burning 10000 calories. Fried Chicken Dinner or Steak is my go to meal and maybe a hamburger on the side.
    And I'm skinny. When I come down I'm HUNGRY I need food

Down South style cooking

I know it is early and I am not really awake yet, but I have dinner at the Stove most every time I go to Mammoth. I like Thai-ed Up and Roberto's also. When I stay at the ski clubs Quansa Hut, there is a good Mexican food place up the street, but I forget the name. It is on Main St.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I can never figure out their hours. Tried to eat at the stove two weeks ago and sign said open from6am or 7am to 2 pm. Last season I ate there a couple times after 5
    Love their food. And the Pie
    ummmmmmmmmmm

Thanks for all the recommendations. I had a great time in mammoth. It was my first time visiting and I thought the mountain was awesome. I didn't stand in any lines for my entire trip.

We ended up cooking most of our meals but checked out Lakanuku for happy hour. Nothing like ridiculous Hawaiian themes when you just came from Hawaii. Their happy hour was actually pretty good. I'm not usually a fan of ski villages but we wanted to play tourist since our trip was so short.

I have an extra e ticket from my Costco five pack if anyone wants it. I don't live anywhere close to mammoth and won't make it back this season. I'll let it go for the price of a 12er of coors light.

And props to the people who do that drive multiple times per winter. The 395 between ridgecrest and the 15 is a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    And props to the people who do that drive multiple times per winter. The 395 between ridgecrest and the 15 is a nightmare.
    I guess you were in an under powered car. For me, the nightmare is between Kramer Junction and Adalanto, once you can not pass anymore. Coming home and hitting that 30 mile road block always pisses me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post

Thirty years ago I was living in Los Angeles and would always start my drives up to the eastern Sierra or Whites, or Tahoe, or We$tern $tates at around 2:00 AM. Hitting those remote sections of desert highway in the dark was fucking tits. No LE, either, so hammering along at 85-90 MPH was not uncommon. Whenever I became bored, I'd turn off the lights, close my eyes and let go of the wheel for ten seconds or so while going "Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That shit was so much fucking fun!

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I guess you were in an under powered car. For me, the nightmare is between Kramer Junction and Adalanto, once you can not pass anymore. Coming home and hitting that 30 mile road block always pisses me off.
    Nah, I was in a brand new expedition rental. Plenty of power, but I've just witnessed way too many near misses of people passing that I essentially don't do it unless I can see clearly in the next lane for hundreds of yards. I used to do temecula to ridgecrest on a monthly basis and hate the entire drive. So many near catastrophic misses by people in a hurry. I much prefer driving the two lane stretch of the 395 past ridgecrest.

Adalanto south to I-15 is a nightmare, last year I started staying on I15 and taking air expy...but there is a bunch of construction on D st.

Right there with you. I go from Newport and take the 14 just to avoid that stretch. The only two lane stretch is now the area north of mojave and red roçk. It looks like they are widening that.

Have also had multiple close calls with twits passing in the blind roller coaster section of 395. Still beats driving through la

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Right there with you. I go from Newport and take the 14 just to avoid that stretch. The only two lane stretch is now the area north of mojave and red roçk. It looks like they are widening that.
    There are a few other short stretches before and after Olancha. Head on collision a few weeks ago just south of Olancha left a dad dead when he went for the pass and lost the head on battle with a semi. Woof.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Damn. Peeps need to chill on that drive. I've done that desert section at peak of the bloom, which was awesome!

The midnight/2am leave time is great. Sunrise on the east side from 395 is epic.

Where do you guys usually stop for gas? I like giggle springs in bishop for their beer cheese and Lee's frontier for the free coffee.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    ... Lee's frontier for the free coffee.
    I love Lee's. Been stopping there since he was a pre-deli independent gas station- late 80s or thereabouts. Last I spoke with him, he was selling the whole operation.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

LOL - guess this season wasn't worthy of its own thread for 17/18. Cursed from the start.

How's coverage in Mammoth? Hard to tell from looking at the cameras or the snow depth reports. Taking a nephew skiing and just looking for good coverage on a wide variety of groomers. Trying to decide between staying in Tahoe or making the drive to Mammoth.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

It is WAY better than Tahoe based on these two data points:
    Weekend of Feb 3rd at Sugar Bowl. Coverage is thin. Very thin. Was there for a U-10 race for Mini-Comish and they had to drill multiple times to get the gates into the snow because they kept hitting dirt.

Weekend of Jan 6th at Alpine. Grim. Maybe a 12" base at the bottom. Rained 2 to 3" nearly to the top. Mammoth got 12-18" out of that storm. I know they have gotten some snow since then, but not sure it was a ton.

There are some rocks out, but its the random variety, not whole runs or super thin coverage. The top of Drop Outs and Wipe outs are still thin as snow was struggling to stick to the summer glacier. You can easily get into all, but just be a bit careful on your entry. Once in, totally fine coverage.

Only place that is really thin is out ch9 way. Otherwise everything is fine.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    How's coverage in Mammoth? Hard to tell from looking at the cameras or the snow depth reports. Taking a nephew skiing and just looking for good coverage on a wide variety of groomers. Trying to decide between staying in Tahoe or making the drive to Mammoth.
    I've missed the last two weekends, but it has been pretty okay this year. It is a bit thin, but good turns can be had in the Paranoids, dropouts and Dave's. That is where I have spent most of my time. Climax is bony, but has some good sections, just watch for rocks. I've only been in Hangman's a couple of times this year, it is pretty tight but was doable the last time I was up. Overall I have enjoyed this year, the mountain is skiing pretty well despite a low snow year. People from Tahoe that I have ridden lifts with have said Mammoth is better.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Thanks for the info! Looks like Mammoth it is!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Shit guys...(Hi yoga)...
    How did you miss the part where he said "...a wide variety of groomers..."?
    Hangmans for fuck sake??
    [Gotta show how core you are, huh?]
    K12, take the drive if you like. Mammy can be awesome.
    *But* if it's just groomers, and you are in Tahoe already (?).
    I'd suggest:
    Heavenly.
    Rose.
    Northstar.

I went skiing today, btw, not a month ago.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Love it! Great answer to those guys, and to the original question of how coverage was on the groomers. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Shit guys...(Hi yoga)...
    How did you miss the part where he said "...a wide variety of groomers..."?
    Hangmans for fuck sake??
    [Gotta show how core you are, huh?]
    K12, take the drive if you like. Mammy can be awesome.
    *But* if it's just groomers, and you are in Tahoe already (?).
    I'd suggest:
    Heavenly.
    Rose.
    Northstar.

I went skiing today, btw, not a month ago.