Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

living the dream

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    So does anyone ski here or do u just drive to and from mammoth?
    Haven't you seen the SNL skit "The Californians"? Discussing driving is the only way we can socialize.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I took a few runs yesterday in the afternoon. Pow was gone at that point, but still plenty of soft snow. Top didn't open due to strong north winds that scoured what looked to be pretty much everything up there.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I just got nailed last week coming back to Tahoe on THE 395
    Fixed my own post accordingly. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Haven't you seen the SNL skit "The Californians"? Discussing driving is the only way we can socialize.

I probably spend as much time driving to Mammoth as I do on the slopes. It sucks, but if I want to ski 30-40 days a year and I don't want socal mountains this is what I have to do. I'm lucky in the way that my commute is about 5 minutes, so I spend very little time in the car during the week. If I have to drive an hour everyday it would be tough to rally for the weekend Mammoth drive. I can't complain. This is a life I chose and being able to surf during the summer and live in Orange County is pretty cool. I would rather be a skier in LA than one in Burlington. I would rather do a ton of driving but ski Mammoth 35 days a year than live close to Stowe and ski 50 days a year.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

^^^^^ Yep, living close to surfing is really nice and it is so damn nice to walk the dogs where it is dry rather than wet. As I get closer to my wife's retirement date where we can then live anywhere, I am having a harder time every year thinking of leaving San Diego. It is just so damn nice and surfing is fun. On one hand I should of bought that place in Mammoth 5 years ago for $125k. On the other I am thinking forget about living in the snow. But that 6 hour drive does blow as does leaving my wife and dogs behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I'm just happy to see that this year's Mammoth thread doesn't include Big Bear.

In 20 years of driving back and forth, have had only one ticket (knock wood), and it was just north of Red Rocks. I'm all about cruise control at 74, now.

I'm another live at the beach drive to the mountains type. I love the snow, just not living in it day in and day out. It would suck to have to get up an hour early just to dig your car out. I would rather run on the beach, or go for a bike ride in the Ventura county hills, and then drive to Mammoth.

I will be skiing tomorrow. Anybody know anything about the avi center fundraiser tonight? I can' find details.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I'm another live at the beach drive to the mountains type. I love the snow, just not living in it day in and day out. It would suck to have to get up an hour early just to dig your car out. I would rather run on the beach, or go for a bike ride in the Ventura county hills, and then drive to Mammoth.

I will be skiing tomorrow. .
    great see u still rippin it ,when u get there> fyi. we don't need dig out in salt lake much....dem canyons suck most the big snow up there....but u knowz tha;,pretty sure I remember u in ski camp/s here

shred long and prosper

U all Missing Pics from alot your journeys this Thread- get on it!
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Staying cold and overcast, so conditions are desent. Nasty patches of ice on more runs, so have to keep speed in check but lots of fun turns if you look for them. Still need two good storms

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Dave's had exceptional windbuff today, and the lower mountain groomers are perfect in the morning. Still need much more snow to open up more of the mountain, but there's plenty to have fun on right now.

Some good wind buff, but far from exceptional, but be wary of ice patches. There are some wicked ones on skiers left of Dave's (stay right), and at the top of Wipe Out Chutes. I hit on traversing into WO1 and nearly took a death slide. Conditions are fun, but lots of serious hazards present..."Be careful out there"

iscariot

Interesting--I didn't hit any ice patches on Dave's, must have gotten lucky. Wipe Outs definitely looked terrible.

What's up Gimpage? I'm living down here this season. Hit me up and let's make some turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Interesting--I didn't hit any ice patches on Dave's, must have gotten lucky. Wipe Outs definitely looked terrible.
    If you stay skiers right of the signs that say to stay right of the signs, you are fine. To me a sign that says stay right is all the more reason to go left. Some fun stuff left, but also some nasty shit. Stay right.

iscariot

Got it...I stayed right of those signs

Looks like multiple atmospheric rivers incoming!

Been 5 years since I spent an hour digging out a car... would be nice.

rough day...rain crust off trail, scratchy on (1pm start)
    Solitude & chair 4 were the only things taking edges, top closed.
    Will report in the am.
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Cut that shit up for me Waiting until the cold storms roll in. Might be a Merry Christmas after all.
    Brian,if you are in town come over for dinner next weekend

More rain so should be some soft snow today... that ice was brutal

Speaking as a former San Diegan who skied E Sierra BC / mammoth 4-8 days/month, I much prefer living in Tahoe and driving 5-30 mins. Digging out your car would suck, but luckily I heard about this cool invention called a two car garage. .

If they could just add lanes to that fucking 395 section N of Adelanto, the Mammoth commute would be much better.

Only had one day at Mammoth so far this year but it was damn good.

Top got plastered and opened around 11am (surprisingly). Snow above 9K was great...bit crusty below, but carvable. Like creamy carvable.
    Great day. New brewery in town, Black Doubt, is serving up some tasty options.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161211_090552.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	888.5 KB 
ID:	194880

Name:	20161211_093432.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	807.9 KB 
ID:	194881

Name:	20161211_103639.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	875.8 KB 
ID:	194882

Name:	20161210_154001.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1,007.8 KB 
ID:	194884
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161211_091104.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	194878  
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Hey BB! Where is the new brewery, that looks like someone's kitchen?
    Are you around this weekend? Chad and I are rolling in Saturday evening, meeting up to sample the new fermentation would not go amiss. Chad is in town Sunday and monday, I am hanging 'till Tuesday, but may go ice climbing Tuesday conditions permitting. We should meet for turns Sunday.

iscariot

Stoked for the storm