Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

Dear MMSA, screw you for closing Canyon so early. Parking junkshow today like a pow day. F lot full by 10 am. I guess that's what I get for timing the snow quality and not the crowds ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Don't they usually close Canyon by now? Although, we do have a lot of snow. It would be nice to run Canyon even if only in the morning for another place to access. Not sure which lot is F, but I've parked near the bottom of chair 4 before and accessed from there. Only problem is you need to have a ticket in hand.

How'd the hill ski? I never get there in winter so seeing 4,5,10 running seems like a bonus to me.

I'm visiting from Canada looking to do some ski touring in the sierras next weekend hit me up, down to climb anything!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Dear MMSA, screw you for closing Canyon so early. Parking junkshow today like a pow day. F lot full by 10 am. I guess that's what I get for timing the snow quality and not the crowds ...
    You can't expect to roll into a nice parking space at Mammoth at 10am, totally unrealistic expectation. You either need to get there early for parking, yes, the snow will be rock hard, OR, time the snow and take the bus. Runs every 20min or so throughout town.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    You can't expect to roll into a nice parking space at Mammoth at 10am, totally unrealistic expectation. You either need to get there early for parking, yes, the snow will be rock hard, OR, time the snow and take the bus. Runs every 20min or so throughout town.
    ^^^^^That and thank you MMSA for keeping half the mountain open when 90% of everyone else shuts down with tons of snow left
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

is california actually entirely out of a drouth now??

Haha no

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Not sure which lot is F, but I've parked near the bottom of chair 4 before and accessed from there. Only problem is you need to have a ticket in hand.

How'd the hill ski? I never get there in winter so seeing 4,5,10 running seems like a bonus to me.
    Back home now ...

On Saturday 4/29 people were parked past bottom of 4, past bottom of Tubing Center, almost all the way out to Scenic Loop Road. . Parking bus was running infrequently, and usually full. Pretty much a pow-day like junkshow, on a cold spring day with firm snow, all because Canyon was closed.

Not sure how this closure timing compares to closure schedule for previous years. I appreciate that resorts have a hard time predicting turnouts; perhaps investment in forecasting turnout of passholders in addition to day-ticket buyers (whether via surveys or check-in promotions for passholders, etc) would help not only optimize operational cost but also improve customer experience and therefore resort loyalty.

Once on the hill, of course it was big enough to fan everyone out and ski well enough, even with upper mountain being bulletproof due to cold north winds. They were spinning 4, 5 and 10, and also 13 and 14 (14 lift line run was a killer run sheltered from wind).

Oddly enough they had a ropeline set up at top of 10 preventing people from accessing Lincoln, but I never asked about it due to the cold wind and not wanting to hit that terrain. I'm guessing they would have been cool with hiking as long as you knew the risks, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    ^^^^^That and thank you MMSA for keeping half the mountain open when 90% of everyone else shuts down with tons of snow left
    Yeah, I know, lots of butthurt in my previous post and not appreciating Mammoth being open when other resorts are closed.

I'm also used to them being open this time of year, and used to them spinning despite low turnout (and therefore easy parking). I would have just taken the bus from town but I had fantasies of swapping boots/skis/clothes mid-day that quickly proved to be silly. I'm guessing the Saturday crowds this coming weekend will be half of the previous weekend, and so on for the rest of this month ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Canyon was open a week later than usual this year. Chair 4, 2 weeks.

In that case, good on them, and good for people to show up. Wish it lasted longer, and wasn't as much of a junkshow

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Pretty sure the rope at the top of 10 is soft. Meaning you can hike around it, but it is there to ward off the idiots.

Pretty cool they were turning the backside lifts. That allows for a bunch more terrrain, especially on days that the wind is coming across the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Pretty sure the rope at the top of 10 is soft. Meaning you can hike around it, but it is there to ward off the idiots.

Pretty cool they were turning the backside lifts. That allows for a bunch more terrrain, especially on days that the wind is coming across the front.
    The ropeline on 10 is because of the SuperPark build. Too many cats and winch cables.

Ah. That makes sense. I forgot they've done that before. There is plenty of snow to play with this year.

Chair 5 has great mid mountain spring conditions right now. Would be great if a bit more people were skiing there. Might encourage the mountain to keep it running a while longer.

Taking the family next weekend. Is 5 done for the season, or weekends only? Not showing on the schedule for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by clausen View Post
    Canyon was open a week later than usual this year. Chair 4, 2 weeks.

Not bad for a jibber.

Looks like chair 23 is going to be incredible foreva
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Sunny day tomorrow anyone want to ski something around twin lakes@ Bridgeport?

Anyone know the story on the Uber park next to chair 5, maybe Shaun White's private playground? My favorite feature is death by gap jump.
    Name:  Death by gap.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  82.8 KB

Upper mountain was rock hard this weekend thanks to the cold south wind, but Hemlock ridge was money. Thankfully the backside is still open.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hem ridge.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	812.0 KB 
ID:	206294

That was a super park built for an invitation only event last week. They moved massive amounts of snow to build features all over the Chair 10 and 4 areas. Closed off a lot of hike to terrain including Lincoln Mt, and patrol was pretty aggressive in keeping got closed due to all the winch cars working, not to mention what looked like a 10' bank cut at the run out of Avi chutes.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Mammoth free for kids 12 and under for the rest of the season. FKNA!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Woot!

Canyon will reopen this weekend with Chairs 17, 4 and 9.

So ridiculous how much snow the mountain is holding at this point. Pics from last Sunday

Varmints..really?

Name:	20170520_134943(0).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	749.2 KB 
ID:	206853

DO 2

Name:	20170520_115444.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	823.7 KB 
ID:	206854

Who's headed up this weekend??
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Will be at the resort with my kids (7 and 10) this weekend. Maybe a day trip to Death Valley. We'll be camping . . . somewhere. Anyhow, the boy and I will be on Praxis.

Barnballs...you going to be around MMD? Chad and I will be there. He gets there Friday night, my wife and I are rolling in on Saturday late afternoon, give me a shout.

Frank, let me know if you need a shower, or any beta on DV.

Very cool they are running 17 and 9, thanks for the heads up Clausen, saves me the hassle of going to Main.

If others are around, let's have a pre-mini mini.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot