Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

[Skied at Rose, btw.
    All the resorts are making snow today, and it snowed an inch or two, too.]

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Normally I'm down with the other reports but yep, more focused on groomers as will have my nephew in tow and I'm still under orders from PT to keep it nice and easy so groomers it is.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Mammoth 16/17

^^^ what was ur injury. I did groomers with my son coming off an ankle break.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Shit guys...(Hi yoga)...
    How did you miss the part where he said "...a wide variety of groomers..."?
    Hangmans for fuck sake??
    [Gotta show how core you are, huh?]
    K12, take the drive if you like. Mammy can be awesome.
    *But* if it's just groomers, and you are in Tahoe already (?).
    I'd suggest:
    Heavenly.
    Rose.
    Northstar.

I went skiing today, btw, not a month ago.
    Hey Turx, u coming to KW this season?

Compared to taking your kid around groomers at Mammoth...

Rose is short, N* is flat and burned out, and had highs in the mid 50s a week ago), and Heave is pretty limited.

If I lived near Tahoe, I’d be taking the drive to more vert, more snow and way better conditions in a minute. The low elevation of Tahoe is really hurting this season.

Regardless of how many Rad Points you have, groomer conditions matter. GCM. KW groomers were fun enough for me (I have 7 Rad Points)Sunday, but for someone with lesser grace than I, they were just slick and fast. I’d bet that Mammy even has some chalky groomers still kicking around.

Hell, I might drive there next week. After I drink a boutique beer. Maybe with a wedge of orange.

^^^@Ottotime - Recovering from arthroscopic hip surgery to fix torn labrum and some bad cartilage. PT wants me to ski but to avoid unpredictable terrain so hence the groomers.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    Nah, I was in a brand new expedition rental. Plenty of power, but I've just witnessed way too many near misses of people passing that I essentially don't do it unless I can see clearly in the next lane for hundreds of yards. I used to do temecula to ridgecrest on a monthly basis and hate the entire drive. So many near catastrophic misses by people in a hurry. I much prefer driving the two lane stretch of the 395 past ridgecrest.
    The near misses up there are something else. I was on a ski bus years ago, it was night time and a car was headed straight for the bus. I said to the driver, "you going to move over to give him some room"? Response; "nope" as the car went wide to miss the bus and ended up out in the dirt. And we didn't stop to see if they were ok. Fucking nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Shit guys...(Hi yoga)...
    How did you miss the part where he said "...a wide variety of groomers..."?
    Hangmans for fuck sake??
    [Gotta show how core you are, huh?]
    K12, take the drive if you like. Mammy can be awesome.
    *But* if it's just groomers, and you are in Tahoe already (?).
    I'd suggest:
    Heavenly.
    Rose.
    Northstar.

I went skiing today, btw, not a month ago.
    I skimmed his message, missed the part about groomers. Congratulations on skiing today, you are totally core.

I tried to give him as much info as I could. That is the polite thing to do. It has nothing to do with showing how core I am. If I was going to Tahoe I would appreciate a thorough report. Get over it.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Kinda agree here w/ LDD,

My report was from 1 week ago from the groomers of Sugar Bowl and compared to this past Sunday at Mammoth. Likely fairly comparable as I don't think it dumped multiple feet in Tahoe last week Sugar Bowl's groomers were very thin, melting and freezing at night, and not great. Very firm in the morning till things softened up, then fun on rock skis.

In contrast, mammoth's have full coverage and are fine. packed powder from Main lodge up, likely more spring like down by Canyon/15, but didn't go there on Sunday.

We have had at least 3 storms that have been full snow above Main Lodge at Mammoth this year that were nearly 100% rain at most Tahoe resorts. Rose and KW likely exceptions to that which is why I said my comparisons were for Alpine and Sugar Bowl.

His call, but that is a fair comparison. More info is better, he can make the call if its worth it.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Yeah, if he's up for the drive, and has lift tix & lodging covered, go for it.
    ...and hope there are no shutdown by the wind events.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I will heading up Friday, coming back on Tuesday. Snowman says they got 5-7 inches. It all helps. Snowman's weather guy is saying 2-6 inches on Monday, anything helps at this point. Let's pray for a miracle March. You never know, my next to last year living in Tahoe was 02/03, which started out great. Then January and February sucked. Then March sucked. From April 1 to May 10 Squaw got something like 140 inches of snow. It was probably the best 40 days of my skiing life. But Mammoth is still skiing pretty well, despite a bad year.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Yes, it can go that way sometimes.
    Winter of . . '82 for me? Similar dry times early, some storms, etc. not bad, actually, but, March hit, and on the calendar in our office(I worked for the Inn, doing very jobs, including snow shoveling- a lot of it), on that calendar I wrote on it every day that it snowed, such as "Snow! Snow again. More Snow," etc. At the end of the month, we counted out that it had snowed something like 22, 23, or 24 (I could've just said 24!), days out of the 31. A very busy month of work, and a very good month of skiing!

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I will heading up Friday, coming back on Tuesday. Snowman says they got 5-7 inches. It all helps. Snowman's weather guy is saying 2-6 inches on Monday, anything helps at this point. Let's pray for a miracle March. You never know, my next to last year living in Tahoe was 02/03, which started out great. Then January and February sucked. Then March sucked. From April 1 to May 10 Squaw got something like 140 inches of snow. It was probably the best 40 days of my skiing life. But Mammoth is still skiing pretty well, despite a bad year.

Saturday afternoon the wind machine kicked in out of the West and moved what little "loose" snow there is up top and made the skiing decent. Definitely hit or miss though. Very firm snow up top in places. Saw some epic sliders on Daves and Cornice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	939.4 KB 
ID:	224784
    Lower Wipeouts and Scottys has enough wind blown snow to make for some good turns.

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	900.9 KB 
ID:	224785
    The gulley under 23 was another spot that collected some wind blown snow. Daves and lower Dropouts were also decent.

But if you were up on the Mtn today (Sunday) it was a bit of a different story. Winds were over 100 mph at the top and clouds were socking in the upper Mtn. Nothing was open up high, other than Ch 3 briefly. Canyon Express was stop and go all morning as the winds continued to build. Then around 11:00 a.m. everything started to shut down. Main lodge had ch 11 only, so that pushed everyone onto the lower Mtn and Canyon Lodge area eventually. Runs were very crowded, snow was bullet proof with sheets of glare ice, and huge downhill wind got people hauling ass. Scary. At noon chairs 16, 15 and 8 all went down due to the wind. No village gondola also. That meant that everyone was trapped at the Canyon Lodge. What a shit show that was. You could literally not walk thru the lodge due to the sheer number of people in it. The shuttle bus lines were enormous, as that was the only way out of there. Wind chill for Monday is forecasted to be below Zero to negative 15 on the upper Mtn. Aren't you glad you didn't pay $165 for a ticket today.

...as I was saying...

I got back last night and will agree with what Eastern Sierra Skier said. Saturday Dave's had fun windbuff, and the line for the upper gondola was not bad, maybe 5 minute waits, which is great for a holiday weekend. Sunday everything was pretty much shut down. Monday was a blast, with maybe 8-10 inches at the top. Tuesday was fun, cutup pow, but plenty of firm spots. Despite being a bit bony, the top has skied well this year. People are talking about how bad the season is but I have had plenty of fun. Obviously compared to last year it is down, but it can't be epic every year. Considering how little snow there has been the top is skiing very well. I was going to do a Squaw trip this year, but I think my Tahoe buddies might come down to Mammoth instead if things don't change. I will probably be back up this coming weekend, they are supposed to get a bit more.

I do feel for people who bought lift tickets on Sunday. Wind is always a risk at Mammoth.

...as I was saying...
    Yeah, good thing you weren't there on Monday.

Mini Comish and I started the morning playing on 22. It was 4" of dust on mostly crust, so fun, but not amazing. That said, there was no one there!?!? Mini Comish and I put in 4 sets of tracks into the little shot lookers right of the diving board rock that is right under the chair before anyone else thought to check it out!?!? Then as his little legs, on skis that are too short (damn his ski tech sucks for not mounting his next bigger pair), started to fry we headed over to Mid.

Wandered in an inquired how long till the top? Less than 30 minutes came the reply and we looked at each other and I quickly paid way too much for a couple of twix bars for lunch and waited. We were #2 and #3 in line. After maybe 20ish minutes they were loading and loaded us before the black pass dudes!?!? Schwing!

Name:	20180219_111618.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	225149

Riding in the 1st car on Pow day to the top with your 9yr old = Priceless!

Name:	20180219_113726.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	921.6 KB 
ID:	225151

Gotta say, 1st tracks down climax were amazing! We didn't feel bottom and felt like 10 to 12", which based on the nuking wind on Sunday is totally possible given the 4" at Main. Keep in mind it was 4 degrees Monday morning so the snow was rather light for Sierra standards. Really pretty awesome to pop Climax with your kid!

He insisted I take a pict of our tracks even though you can barely see them.

Name:	20180219_114349.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	723.9 KB 
ID:	225152

Went back for one more Climax lap before a lap in P2 which was also really good and surprisingly deep! Never did any laps around 23. Dave's wasn't that great.

Monday combined with one of the Comish twin's getting 2nd place in the Saturday Mighty Might race, and her 1st podium ever, made it a memorable weekend for the Comish team even though we all came down with a cold. The ride down the grade with everyone was screaming bloody murder about their clogged ears wasn't soo fun.

She isn't smiling at all (girl in Pink hat)

Name:	20180217_151646.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	225155

So yeah, nothing to see in Mammoth.

Sunday was a windy shit show, but with this crazy sport that is rather weather dependent, you take the good with the bad. We also had a MntLion and Skibee sighting. Good to meet him enjoy the Skibee yummy lasagna, watch a bunch of Olympics, and finish bathroom renovations.

I'll be flying down on the 4th of March, I'm getting more and more stoked about this trip by the day!

Tahoe<Mammoth<Snowbird<AK

Decent storm this week but next weekend setting up to be a pretty decent pow day. Let's keep the vibes up

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    I'll be flying down on the 4th of March, I'm getting more and more stoked about this trip by the day!
    I will be there until the 6th if you want a beer and some local knowledge.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

All - For those that gave me a conditions report on Mammoth last week - thanks! Ended up staying local (in Tahoe) and nephew had a great time! Skill level of my nephew matched the available skiable terrain so good times were had and the snow actually ended up being pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Sunday was a windy shit show, but with this crazy sport that is rather weather dependent, you take the good with the bad. We also had a MntLion and Skibee sighting. Good to meet him enjoy the Skibee yummy lasagna, watch a bunch of Olympics, and finish bathroom renovations.
    Thanks again for all the help with the trip, and the guiding around etc. Good to meet the family. Let us know when you make it north as well.

12" at 7 degrees today. Woot woot!

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Yesterday was awesome, don't go to Mammoth a ton but it was some of the best pow I've skied there, especially in lee trees.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I will be there until the 6th if you want a beer and some local knowledge.
    I'll be skiing in patrol uniform (It's an exchange, they are sending a couple guys north), I would love to run into you at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    I'll be skiing in patrol uniform (It's an exchange, they are sending a couple guys north), I would love to run into you at some point.
    Cool, I'll PM a phone number. Also you will likely run into Rob who patrols from the top gondi station most days, just tell him you are looking for Dave a Topher.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot