Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

Quote Originally Posted by yogachik View Post
    Just crazy to watch this, especially the photos being posted on Snowman's page. I don't remember the 395 being closed for this long, ever, and I've been in some gnarly MM storms.
    It is crazy. The CHP dispatch page has been full of all sorts of incidents. I think the CHP and Caltrans end up saying that there are simply too many crashes, flipped or stuck vehicles to leave the road open.

There was a car going down the Sherwin grade this evening on the wrong side of the highway because they did not have proper chains and could not make it up the grade.

Some side roads are now being closed or not being plowed because of the avalanche danger.

Still snowing here...oh and 30+ mph gusting & sustained winds now in town. My ton ton just froze and I'm about to crawl inside it for warmth...tomorrow looks highly unlikely in the ski department...

Has anyone tried this?

http://mammothexpressbus.com/

It's a bit pricey, but if you are going to roll up solo it actually makes some sense. If you figure you are getting 25 miles per gallon, which is probably a bit generous, it takes 14 gallons to get there and 14 to get back from OC. That comes out to 90-100 in gas. I get sick of the drive and it might be worth it to just relax the whole way up and back. The only issue I see is the times they list. Getting from Fullerton to Redondo in 30 minutes on a Friday afternoon leaving Fullerton at 430? Or getting from Redondo to Van Nuys leaving at 5? They are being incredibly optimistic.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Didn't look at the link, but I use to do the bus with a ski club from San Diego years ago. In my mind, the bus sucks. Final straw was when the driver put chains on for 1 inch of snow on the 395 and drove about 30mph for about 200 miles. Never again for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Headed back up tonight, can give a ride from OC/LA

Jinx worked. Today was pretty awesome if only really lapping 8/16 most of the day. Deep as fuck in the trees and not super thick either. Crowds were pretty mellow but tomorrow should pick up. The upper sections are going to be glorious when open...

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Didn't look at the link, but I use to do the bus with a ski club from San Diego years ago. In my mind, the bus sucks. Final straw was when the driver put chains on for 1 inch of snow on the 395 and drove about 30mph for about 200 miles. Never again for me.
    Where was that on the 395? I have rarely seen it snow that low.

I will probably try it some weekend when my wife does not want to go up. It would be really nice to just relax and watch a movie or read a book and not have to drive.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

WOW! If you weren't out there this morning then you missed out on some of the deepest, lightest pow Mammoth has seen in a long time. It was nuking down this morning with zero wind. Crazy deep in the trees. Lunch and then back out.

Amen. Caught 25 opening before lunch and lapped it for 2 hours till my legs were mush. Balls deep blower is an understatement.

Snow was fantastic today. Probably the best I have experienced at Mammoth.

Mammoth 16/17

It was definitely a decent crowd for a Thursday on the hill today. But at its biggest, the line on chair 22 never approached this.

Squaw Valley and the KT-22 line in effect. No thanks.

Today was not the normal Sierra powder day. I've never had over-the-head faceshots on the avalanche chutes before. Not once, not twice, but all morning. Still buzzing.

That video from Mammoth Snowman blew my mind. It is sooooo deep up there now, I could not believe how small the trees looked coming down 25. Glad I get to come up next week for 5 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Going on furlough starting next week. w00t
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Way to go Snowman!

Got my ass handed to me today. smallies-1 Mammoth-1.

Glad you guys are getting some! Yesterday looked all-time.

Preaching to the choir, but for all that is Holy, buy your groceries somewhere else. The Vonn's lot is buried and only has room for a few cars. If you do have to go, leave your 8 kids at home
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD_2505 View Post
    Preaching to the choir, but for all that is Holy, buy your groceries somewhere else. The Vonn's lot is buried and only has room for a few cars. If you do have to go, leave your 8 kids at home
    Amen! Went to Vons last night to stock up on essentials before the crushing wave of humanity hits. The parking lot looks like a f&*king war
    zone. Buried/abandoned cars, huge piles and berms of snow. WTF! But that pretty much how all of town is. I've never seen them so far behind the curve in regards to snow removal. Main street/203 is for the most part two lanes, one in each direction. This morning the traffic backed up from the Whiskey Creek traffic light down to the post office! Bumper to bumper. Unless they pull off a miracle tonight, driving will be a complete nightmare. Example.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 62 9.34.58 PM.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	197220
    This is just past A-Frame liquor heading downhill. There's another lane buried under that thing, and I don't think it will be clear by tomorrow. Mammoth has been booked out for days and I heard Bishop is now as well. Get ready for an insane weekend. Can anyone say "June Mtn"

1/12 was the deepest I have ever skied mammoth. Chair 22 was all time

So how is MLK weekend shitshow going?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    So how is MLK weekend shitshow going?
    I've never seen it this busy. You knew it was going to be insane when ML was booked out 10 days ago. By Friday Bishop was completely booked. Friday night the traffic exiting 395 North to 203 was backed up to near the airport. On Saturday the parking for Main Lodge went down past the scenic loop, ending in estentially Town. Heard it took 2hrs to get down from Main to the traffic light last night. As for the MTN, the most epic llift lines ever??? Example, Chair 14 was not running due to ice on the cables, but backside was open from Gondola with Chair 13 running. Line at 13 was GIGANTIC, estimated line time was over an hour. People were giving up and hiking up and out towards Chair 12. But if a picture is worth a 1000 words, this sums up Saturday.

Name:	FullSizeRender 63.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	197349
    Gondola line at Mid. Had to get pictures, otherwise no one would believe it.

Name:	FullSizeRender 62.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	197350
    The line went so far out that it started to block the run. The line got re-routed behind Mid Chalet on the side by the snow making pond and at one point stretched back to near Rogers Ridge! Bottom Gondi line went past the slopeside/race department building and up into Seasame Street. And the top wasn't even that good, nothing like 22 on Thursday. Wind slabby and thick.

One for the record books.

^Fuuuuuuuuck that!

Holee' shit. I've only been to Mammy in the spring when you roll right into every lift that is open. That is insane.