Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

dweebs says, "get ready for the big dump."
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Decided to drive down from Galena early this morning when Mt.Rose announced Tuesday eve that due to predicted winds, they would not open today. Rolled into the best day I've had this season. Wind machine was cranking all day, with both sides of 23 offering silky wind buff.

Better than anything in Tahoe for sure, where the snow ranges from ok to total suckage. I think Alpine came out of the last storm cycle with a total of -1" of snow. I could easily go for another day like today, but I am stoked for this storm. Plan is ski Thurs & Fri then flee as weekend/night of lights crowd arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    ^^^^^ Yep, living close to surfing is really nice and it is so damn nice to walk the dogs where it is dry rather than wet. As I get closer to my wife's retirement date where we can then live anywhere, I am having a harder time every year thinking of leaving San Diego. It is just so damn nice and surfing is fun. On one hand I should of bought that place in Mammoth 5 years ago for $125k. On the other I am thinking forget about living in the snow. But that 6 hour drive does blow as does leaving my wife and dogs behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I'm another live at the beach drive to the mountains type. I love the snow, just not living in it day in and day out. It would suck to have to get up an hour early just to dig your car out. I would rather run on the beach, or go for a bike ride in the Ventura county hills, and then drive to Mammoth.

I will be skiing tomorrow. Anybody know anything about the avi center fundraiser tonight? I can' find details.
    Hey BB! Where is the new brewery, that looks like someone's kitchen?
    Are you around this weekend? Chad and I are rolling in Saturday evening, meeting up to sample the new fermentation would not go amiss. Chad is in town Sunday and monday, I am hanging 'till Tuesday, but may go ice climbing Tuesday conditions permitting. We should meet for turns Sunday.
    It is in the shopping center where Shogun used to be. So across Old Mammoth Road from Vons and Carl's Jr.

Speaking of Mammoth Vons... There is a Facebook page where people post about how ridiculously busy it gets in there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/985571108196058/

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    ^^^^^ Yep, living close to surfing is really nice and it is so damn nice to walk the dogs where it is dry rather than wet. As I get closer to my wife's retirement date where we can then live anywhere, I am having a harder time every year thinking of leaving San Diego. It is just so damn nice and surfing is fun. On one hand I should of bought that place in Mammoth 5 years ago for $125k. On the other I am thinking forget about living in the snow. But that 6 hour drive does blow as does leaving my wife and dogs behind.
    I'm another live at the beach drive to the mountains type. I love the snow, just not living in it day in and day out. It would suck to have to get up an hour early just to dig your car out. I would rather run on the beach, or go for a bike ride in the Ventura county hills, and then drive to Mammoth.

I will be skiing tomorrow. Anybody know anything about the avi center fundraiser tonight? I can' find details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Decided to drive down from Galena early this morning when Mt.Rose announced Tuesday eve that due to predicted winds, they would not open today. Rolled into the best day I've had this season. Wind machine was cranking all day, with both sides of 23 offering silky wind buff.

Better than anything in Tahoe for sure, where the snow ranges from ok to total suckage. I think Alpine came out of the last storm cycle with a total of -1" of snow. I could easily go for another day like today, but I am stoked for this storm. Plan is ski Thurs & Fri then flee as weekend/night of lights crowd arrives.
    I was on the lower mountain all day and it looked great off of 23.

Howard and the Dewbs are calling up to 4 feet overnight at the top. I am thinking the upper mountain will be closed Friday and open Saturday, so yep, I will be skiing with all of L.A. this weekend. If you see a brightly dressed jong on 193 Auto's ask for change for a nickle
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Welp, that time of the year to log back on to TGR and see WTF is going on. Oh yea, Mammoth about to get stuffed!!!!! Friends went up last night and say it's pouring in the village/base but a bit of sleet getting mixed in. Upper/middle mountain is dumping hard though, on the wetter side but super nice base material for this time of year. If it wasn't for kiddy birthday parties I'd be there too...

Stuck in Tijuana Norte 'til about 5:00PM. Ought to make it to Mammy by around midnight. Was told there'll be up to 20" overnight.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Looking at the chairs at Main a moment ago, it definitely looked like snow was blowing around, where as at Canyon, it looked wet. So pretty possible down low isn't what I want to see. Hopefully it starts to snow all the way down to the village tonight.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

I'll be rolling early evening Saturday and skiing Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Today was a bit of a soggy let down after yesterday's wind buff session off 23. Rain in town all day, wet snow at main. When I left CL an hour ago it had switched to snow and now it's down to about old Whiskey Creek. Hopefully tomorrow will have some decent storm riding first thing in the morning.

I'm staying near Whiskey Creek. Light snow, currently. Heavy, wet snow fall just after exiting THE 395 and all the way to Old Mammy Road.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Mammoth 16/17

Sunday didn't suck once the gondi finally opened to the top!

Mammoth's marketing department has gone full retard. They are claiming 4 feet of new snow. What a bunch of bullshit. No doubt somewhere on the mountain you can fine a four foot pocket, but the official site shows 19". Not bad, but that's 29" short of there claim.

Sounds like it all came in right side up, so that should add to a nice thick and safe base. Now we need a good cold storm.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Mammoth's marketing department has gone full retard. They are claiming 4 feet of new snow. What a bunch of bullshit. No doubt somewhere on the mountain you can fine a four foot pocket, but the official site shows 19". Not bad, but that's 29" short of there claim.

Sounds like it all came in right side up, so that should add to a nice thick and safe base. Now we need a good cold storm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top sign.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	195324

How tall is the top Gondi sign? Just saw this.

Measurements vary but I think the average is 18`6" to the top of the sign from grade. Saturday should be fun
    The top this morning. https://www.facebook.com/vincent.val...2257727466153/
    Last edited by TWINS; 12-16-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Patrol's automated website was showing 17.8" base as of 10am yesterday and now is showing 50". The new snow column was showing 12" + 22" although it looks a bit wonky. Who knows where it settles out, but sure looks like they got about 3' at main which is where the patrol measures from.

Vince's video from the top is showing a sh*t ton of snow. Only a couple feet of the sign showing. Obviously mostly wind drifted, but clearly there was a bunch of snow that fell above the freezing level.
    He who has the most fun wins!

At McCoy now, they definitely got three feet down to Mill. Groomers are great and the trees look fantastic and would be great pow, except it's capped with a 2" layer of f-ing breakable crust. Few lifts are running due to wind / snow. Hoping the crust doesn't extend above McCoy and it'll be sweet when the top pops. 3 isn't even running.

Come on 23 and 14...doubt they'll open today though. Tomorrow is going to be nuts.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-16-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    At McCoy now, they definitely got three feet down to Mill. Groomers are great and the trees look fantastic and would be great pow, except it's capped with a 2" layer of f-ing frozen wet snow. Few lifts are running due to wind / snow. Hoping the crust doesn't extend above McCoy and it'll be sweet when the top pops. 3 isn't even running.

Come on 23 and 14...doubt they'll open today though. Tomorrow is going to be nuts.
    Thanks for making me feel just the slightest bit better about be stuck inside my condo working all day. Did the crust extend all the way to the top of chairs 2 and 10?

By the way, I'm all for calling out marketing snow totals, but the patrol website officially lists 39" at the snow study plot, and I have no doubt they got at least 56" up top.

When I checked the automated site this morning it only showed the 18", but later as per Comish's post it went wonky. Web camps from Main and Canyon looked like about a foot, especially Canyon where the snowblower was cutting a nice flat section. Either way, glad we are getting something, but disappointed to hear about the crust.

iscariot

127 waist ski sunk below knee deep in one of the few places with no crust. This was halfway down Wall St, on the run.

Never seen so many people fighting to climb out of their fox hole in the crust. Tough day for snowboarders, they were stuck everywhere that wasn't groomed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161216_133924.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	891.1 KB 
ID:	195373  

I definitely fell in 4+ feet of snow today being the powder ripper I am.
    That stuff was like cement. Great base snow, but by tomorrow the wind will have it set up solid.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    127 waist ski sunk below knee deep in one of the few places with no crust. This was halfway down Wall St, on the run.

Never seen so many people fighting to climb out of their fox hole in the crust. Tough day for snowboarders, they were stuck everywhere that wasn't groomed.
    I have never seen such a large number of people down at the same time on a run. I think it was a combination of snow and visibility.

I'm in a sit ski and sunk up to my bucket just above patrolman's on my first run.

Solitude today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mammoth 011616 - Solitude.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	195378

The top keeps getting deeper

This is looking like a good storm to ski two days after.

iscariot