Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

Today was amazing... skied Phillippe's for my first time and all was well until right before the runout. Whereupon all was not well. But it sure was fun up until then.

Kiwi looks much narrower, rockier, and more challenging. Hats off to you for firing it in style

Kiwi looking buttery. Nicely done!
    I see Blue; He looks glorious.

Sweet, that is one hell of a one run. Props to whoever did it sans poles...sick.

I am ice climbing in Lee Vining tomorrow (Sunday), but skiing Monday and Tuesday if anybody is around.

Would love to hit Phillippe ' s , it is still on my tick list. Doubt I will ever do Kiwis.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

crap I wish I'd brought my ice tools and points now. Lee Vining is still in?

That's the word, I'll know in a couple of hours. Still fat, but a bit beat up.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

No pics, but ice is still in and the climbing is great. Bard- Harrington is thin, but a little dry tooling and it still goes, but not for long. Main wall is fat as in Chouinard. Beware of the far left of Chouinard, not sure the route name. We just finished and move when a pretty big wet slide flowed right through it for about a minute. Five minutes earlier and we would still have been on it

iscariot

damn never seen kiwis that fat...

Anyone have a BAF they could spare? I'm thinking of hitting the hill one day next week, depending on how the weather plays out.

chadpaeglow AT gmail

Thanks -

And anyone skiing mid next week?

No BAF's here but can head up this weekend for a tour if u change plans and head up few days earlier

I'll send you a PM. I might be able to get down that way by Sunday morning. Where are you thinking good touring?

Mammonth in late June

So I know it is impossible to predict, but how do the mammoth locals expect the skiing to be in late June? Obviously spring conditions, but in terms of terrain, do you think there will be more than usual summer terrain given the record snowfall this winter? I am coming to the bay area for work reasons the last week of june. Trying to decide if I should come early and bring my skis, rent a car and drive out. I have a mountain collective pass so the skiing would be free. Just trying to decide if it is worth the extra time, hassle, money etc. I am leaning yes just due to the novelty of skiing in late June anyway but if people think there may actually be a pretty good bit of terrain open at that time that might help seal the deal in my mental calculus. Thanks.

Yeh do it.
    If UR lucky Stump Alley/The Beach will still be in effect.
    Maybe ski/bike/fish/golf days.
    Or maybe only Gondi.
    Get to see E Sierra & drive through Yosemite (bring park pass if you have one).

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Hard to say, but late June is pretty late for chair 2 or 10. That said, there is so much snow they could still be running, and we might get 5 on the weekends as well. 1, 3 lower going for sure, 23 and upper tend to alternate what is running due to maintenance. It will be worth the effort if things continue as is.
    Last edited by hutash; 03-29-2017 at 03:29 PM.

iscariot

Was 1 gone in 10/11? I ask, as there was snow to the road at KW that year in mid June. That is 7800', which I believe is way below Main. Just curious if anyone knows. But that ear is snowed through early June, so, a bit different.

Ummm, if you're an expert then every run you would want to ski will be open, and due to what you call "spring conditions" those runs will be WFO.

Dana Plateau will probably be in regardless (in June) so if you plan to travel from the Bay Area you might not even need to bother going all the way to Mammoth. You could also drive up to Shasta, it's not much further coming from SF. All depends on whether you want to ski at a resort or want the best skiing available regardless of how it's accessed.

I skied Shasta in June 2015 (among other years, but 2015 was a major drought year), and even then the Hotlum-Wintun was in great shape down to 9500'. Obviously it's a bit more effort than taking a lift, mind you.

On the other hand, I got moderately intoxicated and skied Climax, Cornice, etc. with some guy in a Viking helmet and a purple feathered cape for the 4th of July in Mammoth in July 2011. That was also fun.

Can't go too far wrong skiing in California in June. One way or another, _something_ will still be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Was 1 gone in 10/11? I ask, as there was snow to the road at KW that year in mid June. That is 7800', which I believe is way below Main. Just curious if anyone knows. But that ear is snowed through early June, so, a bit different.
    Gone was a typo, 1,3 lower gondi, upper or 23, etc. will be going until close. Other chairs snow level dependent.

Do you still need a BAF card? I have plenty.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by m10a88 View Post
    Just trying to decide if it is worth the extra time, hassle, money etc.
    Honestly, the drive to Mammoth would be worth the time and hassle, unless you're unimpressed by Yosemite.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Honestly, the drive to Mammoth would be worth the time and hassle, unless you're unimpressed by Yosemite.
    For sure. I will mostly drive out to Yosemite even if not skiing, just trying to decide whether to bring my gear to ski. But thanks for all the responses, I heard what I needed and wanted to hear!

Sonora Pass. Monitor pass. Tioga Pass. All three will be great if you want to hike or skin a bit And way bigger bragging rights when you get back home

Mammoth 16/17

[imagine here incorrectly quoted Hutash]

I may. Still working out if I'll be getting down there next week. I'll send ya a PM if it gets a green light. Thanks.

The above makes sense. I've always been impressed with how much the snow sticks around Main. I only get out to Mammoth in May or June. Once in April. And many times I could ski right to the Gondi. I was shocked in a low season spring to find out there is a road and parking lot down there.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Sonora Pass. Monitor pass. Tioga Pass. All three will be great if you want to hike or skin a bit And way bigger bragging rights when you get back home
    Dear Diary-

I've never "earned my turns" before. Apparently that's what all the cool kids do. I got 400 feet of vertical and it was kinda lonely.

On the plus side, I tutored myself on self-extraction from three-and-a-half foot deep suncups, which I intend to brag about to my dentist.

Tomorrow, the Mendel Couloir...

I'm planning on being out there Friday 4/28 or Sat 4/29 ... if anyone is gonna be up there and has two BAFs I would be stoked!

Hopefully some of you old buddies are around for a lap/beer or three. I will be there with my soon-to-be wife (getting married on the 23rd and driving to Death Valley then Mammoth) ... After all this time she still hasn't figured out what low-brow degenerates I run with on the weekends, surely a couple of runs at Mammoth and my cover will be blown!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

^^^^So, did you hook up with us that day because I was rolling with my son: "See, honey, a nice family man." Then I showed up skiing in jeans. Cover blown.

Has a Mini been called? Not scrolling through 17 pages.