Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

Found some freshies out there today!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is there a thread somewhere yet for a Mammoth 2017 spring mini? Fires + camping at Fort FKNA, sunbathing at the beach....
    Haven't seen one, but it should be in mid-June if it goes down. Maybe 108/120 are open by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is there a thread somewhere yet for a Mammoth 2017 spring mini? Fires + camping at Fort FKNA, sunbathing at the beach....
    A bit early to start planning. Ft FKNA is buried under ten feet of snow, so it will be awhile before we can predict when it will be melted out. 120 will probably open around MMD with the amount of snow we have had, so a June Mammoth Mini is probably going to be best.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    With how good baldy ski area was yesterday, and based on the forecast should be for the weekend, I'm not sure why anyone from LA or SD would drive to mammoth this weekend. Spend more time skiing than driving.
    More mountain, more variety, more vert, more options?

Turning into a slush fest out there.

Stay higher up, works for me this weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Firm up top today and soft down low facing the sun.

I skied Friday and Saturday and had a blast lapping Climax. I hit Hanger's on Friday and expected it to have the same quality snow as Climax, but it didn't. It was firm. Edgable, but firm. The guy in front of me lost an edge when he pushed over the cornice and slid all the way down over the rocks. He was okay, but it was quite a fall. It was still fun, but the snow was much better in Climax. I didn't make it anywhere else, my wife and I were having a blast in Climax and we decided to stay there. I heard good things about chair 23 but we were happy where we were. I was really glad the guy who slid down hangman's ahead of me had gone before me and not after me, it would not have been fun if he had slid into me and taken me out.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I skied Friday and Saturday and had a blast lapping Climax. I hit Hanger's on Friday and expected it to have the same quality snow as Climax, but it didn't. It was firm. Edgable, but firm. The guy in front of me lost an edge when he pushed over the cornice and slid all the way down over the rocks. He was okay, but it was quite a fall. It was still fun, but the snow was much better in Climax. I didn't make it anywhere else, my wife and I were having a blast in Climax and we decided to stay there. I heard good things about chair 23 but we were happy where we were. I was really glad the guy who slid down hangman's ahead of me had gone before me and not after me, it would not have been fun if he had slid into me and taken me out.
    Got out around 9:00 a.m. and skied til closing with a few breaks in between. Snow on the top was ok in places and firm and chattery in others. Felt like today was a bit cooler with the slight NE wind componet that resulted in some places that melted yesterday not softening today. Better runs off the top included Cornice and Scottys, the Hump/Wipe 3 in the afternoon, and sections of upper Paranoid 1. Just a reminder that with the smooth polished snow conditions up high, depending where you are, a slide could have serious conseqences.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 03-20-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Fun weekend but Def the most variable conditions in a while.

What a difference a day can make and all it took was a change in wind direction. The wind graphs on the ski patroll sight show the wind changing from East to Southwest just before 7:00 a.m. this morning and by noon winds were SW 35-40 mph. Not enough loose snow to buff out the top, but enough to make sections of it pretty fun. Standouts were under Hangers, skiers left cornice, Face of CH 5++, and the Hump area down to Scotties. See pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 52 copy.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	202436
    Witnessed a couple of epic, long distance sliders including a lady that fell just below the cutout enterance to Scotties and stopped sliding just above St. Anton's. With the winter we've had, I had barely tuned my skis, just waxed. After yesterday I took mine into FL. Money well spent. I would highly reccomend it. The snow in Hangmans above the throat is polished, and with the jacked up goat trails getting into it, I dropped in so far to the skiers right at the top that my first turn was well to the right of the throat. Felt much more confident doing it with tuned ski's. As of right now (12:15 a.m.) the wind graphs on the patrol sight are showing winds of 39 mph, with a slight shift in direction out of the WNW. As long as it doesn't turn North or NE tomorrow should be a repeat of today. Oh yeah, it was classic mid week/non holiday Mammoth today. Place was f@#king empty. Enjoying the quiet for now as business starts to ramp back up next week as the 1st wave of spring break/Easter vacation begins.

Some Z chute action and Wind buff on 9 from Monday.

The WSW winds continued to blow on Tuesday, moving around what loose snow there is over parts of the top. It's good in sections, and not in others.

Name:	IMG_2224.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	202566
    Lapped Hangers in the afternoon as the swirling winds made for some decent turns after the choke.
    Saw a scary slider as I was riding CH 16 in the afternoon. Snowboarder coming down out of Avi 1 at high speed, head first, some how missed the tree's at the bottom and came to a stop under the chair. Shaken but unhurt. Lower mountain groomed is skiing great, just follow the sun across the mountain. Today looks to be a repeat of the last two days with higher winds over the top.

After some big winds on Wednesday that limited upper Mtn ops, yesterday was hot and glassy. No wind and warmest temps of the week so far. Even section of the top had a bit of slush factor. Skiing was great with climax sign line be the run of the day. After the top closed me and my kid headed over to 22 where skiers right of avi 1 gets late afternoon sun. Good snow in it, just don't fall. Today (Friday) is noticeably more crowed at the CL parking lot. Kids are in lessons so I'm taking my time and headed out here at the crack of 11:30 a.m. Will update later with some pics for anyone coming up this weekend. Cheers.

^Appreciate the report, thinking of doing last minute solo mission

Another quality day on the hill as the Mtn continues to ski well overall. Interesting and very eclectic crowd out on the slopes with the combination of Saint Patty's day revelers in costume and the Elevation Week participants. After yesterdays warm temps and no wind softened the snow all the way to the top, the winds picked up today out of the SW 25-30 mph over the top. This kept temps just a bit cooler, enough so that some places had a bit of a crust on it through out the day.

Name:	FullSizeRender 81.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	202738
    The view looking down sign line. A standout on Thursday as it softened all the way up, today had a bit of crunch to it with the cooler temps. Still great coverage.

Name:	FullSizeRender 80 copy.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	202739
    Best snow today off the top was everything to the lookers right of of the chair line with the stand outs being Wipeout 3, the hump, and the pocket just to the lookers left of the cut out into Scotties. All those runs skied really well in the afternoon with the sun higher in the sky providing great back lighting as you skied down.

Name:	FullSizeRender 52 copy 2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	202740
    View down Wipe 2 area. Not the best picture, but gives an idea of where good snow could be found.
    After sking Sunday through Friday, I'm back in Galena and headed up to Mt Rose tomorrow. Got to get the boy to the last day of the Falcons program. Hope to get back down soon.

mammoth mags: does anyone have any discount tix they would wanna trade for discount squawlpine or vail tix? Also have some new armada and oakley gear Im willing to trade,
    trying to get down there sometime in the next month and not trying to pay full price... let me know!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

Name:	FullSizeRender 81.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	202738
    The view looking down sign-line...
    Good skiin'! Although it has been a few years.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1490164038019.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	203018
    Wonder how Mammy did from todays storm?

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by tahoearmada View Post
    mammoth mags: does anyone have any discount tix they would wanna trade for discount squawlpine or vail tix? Also have some new armada and oakley gear Im willing to trade,
    trying to get down there sometime in the next month and not trying to pay full price... let me know!
    Thanks!
    Hey,
    P.M. me when you get a chance. Might be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Hey, P.M. me when you get a chance. Might be able to help you out.
    I can help you out also. PM me if you need a buddy pass
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Mammoth does not have many good options for discounts of significance, but the buddy passes that we get with our passes help. I assume that is what is being offered above. You have to give your name and email to one of us who forwards it to Mammoth and they then email you an invitation to buy discounted tickets. It all has to be done in advance, so it is a bit of a hassle.

I have buddy passes as well...don't forget then mini will be coming up in a couple of months.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

awesome!
    thanks everyone... my name is Sam Hundley and my email is Tahoearmada@gmail.com
    hope alls well with you and yours!
    if anyone needs any deals at vail resorts or squawlpine I got you!

Quote Originally Posted by tahoearmada View Post
    awesome!
    thanks everyone... my name is Sam Hundley and my email is Tahoearmada@gmail.com
    hope alls well with you and yours!
    if anyone needs any deals at vail resorts or squawlpine I got you!
    Will you be at winter wondergrass i most likely will be there

mtbcat: not likely, thats not my cup o tea... is that next weekend?

Amazing up there today. Only had time for one run, so I made it count.