Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

Mammoth 16/17

All I can say is:

One child

One child to rule them all
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Word. Packing DEET. Are they heavy all over in all the good camping spots too?
    There is standing water EVERYWHERE. It's gonna be a bad season for bugs.

I'm there this weekend. Probably spend lots of time at the McCoy bar once it turns to Mush!

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I'm there this weekend. Probably spend lots of time at the McCoy bar once it turns to Mush!
    Gunna start drinken at 9, huh? NTTIAWWT

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Scoping out Red Slate yesterday evening. The bugs were vicious after you stopped moving for a minute.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redslate-1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	208257

Fun day at Mammy today. My son was stoked on the stinky gas, dry creek, left turn atop 3, tunnel top on 23 and the kinetic sand in the interpretive center. Fun getting him off the top a few times. We were headed for road runner late day and decided to hit Scottys instead. A bit sticky but not as sticky as a flat cat track. We might try to hit it tomorrow morning just for the views and enjoy the wrap around.

If he can hang on Scott's walk out the short distance to P2. It is a bit steeper on top,but the it makes for easy turns and it was fun to ski. Just have you lid traverse in and it's a cakewalk. No bumps. Dave's is fun for kids as well, just go out to the skiers right ski of it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    If he can hang on Scott's walk out the short distance to P2. It is a bit steeper on top,but the it makes for easy turns and it was fun to ski. Just have you lid traverse in and it's a cakewalk. No bumps. Dave's is fun for kids as well, just go out to the skiers right ski of it.
    I thought of going to Dave's but figured the walk over would be long with him in these temps. He was pretty wiped out on day 2. We took a few morning laps on 2 &3, took a 8:15 lap down road runner for the views, then hit cornice and scotts again, afternoon lap on Andy's and then down to the Mill.

I did ski dad solo style from 9:30-11 and 1-2. Good times lapping the Gondi and 23. You guys have a really fun mountain. And my kid loves your kinetic sandbox enough to spend an hour making volcanos yesterday. I love seeing him so wiped out. And this morning he asked if we could ski at least one more day. I think I'm raising him right.

Taking Owen to Mammoth for his 11th birthday on Wednesday.

So much fun this weekend!

Monument/Noids were so good first thing in the morning and were still good albeit a bit stickier all day. Climax was great but got super mushy. Skiers right sides of Wipeouts were awesome all day due to the aspect. Surprise ran into 3 Rose friends (including Nevada29er). Tried to hook with Ottime but it wasn't meant to be other than a quick hello as he was rushing back to find his family (and we were just heading out for an avy chute excursion).

We'll probably be back once more in the next couple of weeks.

Another note, or non pass holders. Ifyou have a choice between BAF and using your ski pass from another resort, you can only buy single day tickets with your pass ($45.xx), but if you plan on multi day, the BAF will be cheaper (2 day for $81). You only save a few bucks, but you don't have to go to the ticket window twice. OTOH, stoked I know the mountain well enough to get to and park at the Mill early. We were steps from the snow both days, making lugging the families gear to and from that much easier. And my family would chill at the Mill at the end of the day while I got in a few extra laps.

Oh, and twin lakes and the falls are going off right now.

Thanks Chad. Get there early and park at the Mill.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Taking Owen to Mammoth for his 11th birthday on Wednesday.
    Sweet! Mini Comish is asking if he can have his 9th birthday there on July 29th! Sounds like it might actually happen. Up for the 4th. Looking forward to it!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Pretty sure my wife and I will be there for the 4th without kid.

Pretty fun, if mushy day out there today. One more day for me on Tuesday, then back home. Hooked up with Oregon Dead and showed him around. Finished the day on Avi 1 and gorilla skied to Canyon. Had to walk a couple of times.

If anybody is out tomorrow give me a shout.

Glad all you out of towners are enjoying our little hill.

iscariot

Looks like I'll be back for at least part of the fourth.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Pretty fun, if mushy day out there today. One more day for me on Tuesday, then back home. Hooked up with Oregon Dead and showed him around. Finished the day on Avi 1 and gorilla skied to Canyon. Had to walk a couple of times.

If anybody is out tomorrow give me a shout.

Glad all you out of towners are enjoying our little hill.
    Thanks for showing me around. It's a rad mountain. Stoked to be here!

Is mammoth open all week until August?

Yes, it is open 7 days a week. whether we make August depends on snow melt. Still tons of snow, but it was 90F in town yesterday and things are melting fast. Local streams are all out of thir banks.

We were still able to ski P 2 and 3 from the too , but that will only last a day or two more before a down climb is needed. Road out to Dave's is burnt, but it worth the walk. They might push snow for the weekend? Dirt starting to show on Stump, so the end of chair 2 is in sight, but still may go a week or two if the farm snow.

Enjoy the first turns of summer today.

iscariot

Today was great!

Birthday Boy

Krystal's brother joined us

MoMart with his new lid

Skied till one today had a blast

Hell, still enjoying my last run from Sunday. Got
    Last cabin at mid station at 2:07. Thought of different lines but settled on sign line of climax as it was skiing so consistently. Waited a moment for a crew to hit it, and then was able to come off the top with plenty of speed and when I touched down that first turn was complete butter and just kept it fall line until st motors which was just salty soft, but enough to fly off the cat track full throttle, wrapping around 3 gs turns all the way down stump alley eventually passing groups of people standing atop the final rollover, just focused on big sweeping driving turns, and then I had to stop about the second or third tower as I noticed four cats moving at once along two different routes realizing what everyone must have been waiting for. When the cats cleared I just straightened to my family chilling at the mill and when I was about to snow them my son yelled that mom said snow was not allowed on the deck. Didn't matter as it was not quite enough speed. It was a very fun run. My last of spring. But now I want to ski lifts on my birthday in July. Never done that before.

Might try for Saturday

Any idea why the Mammoth RD webpage is saying the "Scenic Loop" is closed? Typo?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/...telprdb5403315

It was open last weekend. No signs for construction or pending closure that I saw.

iscariot