Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
Results 726 to 750 of 753

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

  1. #726
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Clausen you work at the bottom Gondola station? sweet vid by the way
    I work in the IT dept. Thanks!

  2. #727
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by clausen View Post
    Now that I think of it... I guess i do prefer lefts.
    Couldn't help but notice. I prefer right turns myself....

  3. #728
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    7,887
    That's funny... it occurred to me yesterday that I prefer right turns and will always do my big pow slash / slow-down turns that way when given a choice. Probably should work on the lefts a bit more to balance it out.

  4. #729
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mt Baldys shoes
    Posts
    2,528
    I prefer left pivots too.
    Curious now if everyone is right handed.
    Nice run under chair 12.
    Since you work for the hill...why did they rip out the side sundeck?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums mobile app

  5. #730
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I prefer left pivots too.
    Curious now if everyone is right handed.
    Nice run under chair 12.
    Since you work for the hill...why did they rip out the side sundeck?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Not sure what the reasoning for removing the "tunnel of Love" was. That was originally the unloading dock for the People-mover tram that went to Chair 2.

  6. #731
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mt Baldys shoes
    Posts
    2,528
    And they lost another entrance into the lodge.
    We were there on opening day and couldn't figure out what was being accomplished with that move.
    Glad they at least put a staircase back up.
    BTW....
    Thanks for the stoke !
    Always love seeing the hill

    Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums mobile app

  7. #732
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,032
    Quote Originally Posted by clausen View Post
    Now that I think of it... I guess i do prefer lefts.
    Would not that make sense for a person with a stronger right leg or am I missing something here?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  8. #733
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    here & there
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by clausen View Post
    I work in the IT dept. Thanks!
    ok right on, I thought you were someone else...always great vids from you solid work
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

  9. #734
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    1,938
    Quote Originally Posted by clausen View Post
    You really like turning left. Big NASCAR fan eh!
    Edit, sorry I see you already mentioned you like the left. Mickelson fan no doubt

  10. #735
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    You really like turning left. Big NASCAR fan eh!
    Edit, sorry I see you already mentioned you like the left. Mickelson fan no doubt
    That left had a nice drift twice as deep as everywhere else as well.

  11. #736
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    35
    Dave's Opened today. Some good wind buff.


  12. #737
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    35
    Some wind-buff and refills out there today.

  13. #738
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,260
    Great vids as always Clausen.

    I was up on the 20th and 21st. I skied mostly groomers on the 20th, first day and getting the legs back. The 21st I lapped drop out 1 and had a blast. It was firm, but slushy in some spots. I'm glad they got more. I will almost definitely be heading up this weekend.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."


    "You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

    "I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

  14. #739
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Reno, eNVy
    Posts
    257
    Can anyone speak for BC conditions around Mammoth right now, or anywhere on the eastside for that matter? What elevation does the snow really start to become skiable?

    Or maybe I have just failed in my search for an eastside conditions thread...

  15. #740
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    June Lake
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Can anyone speak for BC conditions around Mammoth right now, or anywhere on the eastside for that matter? What elevation does the snow really start to become skiable?

    Or maybe I have just failed in my search for an eastside conditions thread...
    Snow level is real high at the moment. The best options without a large approach are Mammoth Crest and Virginia Lakes.

  16. #741
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    1,549
    Is the road open to Virginia lakes?

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

  17. #742
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    327
    Got some kid free days coming at the end of the year... is Mammy worth considering or a complete holiday shit show? I recall seeing pics of Gondi lines that extended past Chair 3 last year, but I believe that was a bit on an anomaly.

  18. #743
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    June Lake
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Is the road open to Virginia lakes?

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yes

  19. #744
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Galena
    Posts
    253

    Mammoth 16/17

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Got some kid free days coming at the end of the year... is Mammy worth considering or a complete holiday shit show? I recall seeing pics of Gondi lines that extended past Chair 3 last year, but I believe that was a bit on an anomaly.
    Hey,
    Saw your post regarding skiing at Mammoth during the holidays and the Gondi lines past chair 3. As a long time Mammoth employee (part time these days), here's my .02 cents. Mammoth is a totally different beast during the holidays and mid winter weekends. If possible, and it can be tough with kids and school etc.., avoid it if at all possible. It's busy with crowds approaching 20,000+ skiers at times. Those photos of the gondi lines might have been mine. I'll re-post them for laughs.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G2 line MLK 2017.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	218262

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gondi 2 line MLK 2017.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	218263

    This was the "Perfect Storm" example. MLK weekend 2017. A day that will live in infamy. Mammoth had been under the gun and storming constantly for two weeks. Mega hype on CNN, La Times etc, brief 72 hr high pressure setting up for that weekend and this was the results. Kind of an anomaly but you get the (potential) picture.

    Here's Mammoth in a different light at it's best. Mid week & non holiday. Empty, no awaiting with more skiing that your legs can take. Took these last Thursday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	888.3 KB 
ID:	218265
    Daves with the wind machine in effect. Note, no one on it. Below, Face of Five, more creamy wind buff. Rode more chairs alone than I did with other riders. Saw your a Reno resident. Me too, I'm here in Galena and this was a quick down and back day session this past Thursday. With big west winds predicted, recent snowfall and mid week conditions everything was lining up for a score. Left Reno at 6:15 a.m.. Was in the Ch 2 parking lot by 9:00 a.m. Skied til last Gondi and was back in Reno by 7:00 p.m. Great day.

    If you do come during the holidays or mid winter weekends, just go into it with realistic expectations of what the crowds can be like. If it's uncrowded, score. If not, well it's about like you thought it would be. When I talk to guests that come only during the week after Christmas, MLK weekend, and Presidents week they only see Mammoth at its busiest (worst) times and they have a skewered vision that it's like that all the time, and it's not. I can sum this up in one sentence. Mid week & non holiday. Good luck bro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	218266  
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 12-07-2017 at 11:30 PM.

  20. #745
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    7,773
    ^^^during those holiday weeks mid winter, when it is crowded, are their parts of the mountain to escape to to avoid crowds? Chair 9 or 22 or 14? Or is everything mid mountain and above crowded?

  21. #746
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    496

    Mammoth 16/17

    Unless itís a powder morning, 22 is consistently quiet and your best bet for quality skiing without crowds. Chair 9 can get lines at times, especially because no one knows how to put 6 people on a chair. 14 can also get a little bit busy due to the low uphill capacity. Outside of pow days, the Chair 23 line usually isnít bad either as that lift moves fast and a decent chunk of Mammothís visitors are scared away by the wind exposure and lack of safety bar.
    Last edited by Skeeze; 12-07-2017 at 09:37 PM.

  22. #747
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Hey,
    Saw your post regarding skiing at Mammoth during the holidays and the Gondi lines past chair 3. As a long time Mammoth employee
    (part time these days), here's my .02 cents. Mammoth is a totally different beast during the holidays and mid winter weekends. If possible, and it can be tough with kids and school etc.., avoid it if at all possible. It's busy with crowds approaching 20,000+ skiers at times. Those photos of the gondi lines might have been mine. I'll re-post them for laughs.

    Good luck bro
    Yep, that's the pic I was thinking of! Unfortunately, kids school breaks are over the holidays and we have just a 5 day window. Normally, we don't head down that way until later in the season, always non-holiday. I think we'll hold off and stay local, the lodging is ridiculous priced anyway, was gonna stay in LV. June might be ok but not on MC pass.

  23. #748
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Unless it’s a powder morning, 22 is consistently quiet and your best bet for quality skiing without crowds. Chair 9 can get lines at times, especially because no one knows how to put 6 people on a chair. 14 can also get a little bit busy due to the low uphill capacity. Outside of pow days, the Chair 23 line usually isn’t bad either as that lift moves fast and a decent chunk of Mammoth’s visitors are scared away by the wind exposure and lack of safety bar.
    This is my experience from 10+ years ago when I lived in Mammoth. During the holidays, it's relatively easy to escape the crowds if it's not a powder day and the mountain has full ops. Try to stay away from the bottom chairs where the build-up is most significant. And never wait for damn gondy line! Chair 25 is also a quiet chair that has good terrain - no steeps, but lots of fun glades and groomers.

    Actually, some of my best days ever at Mammy were Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day on storm days. None of the locals were there (due to blackouts and work...or tourist/alcohol hangovers), and none of the tourists wanted to ski. Christmas Day 2003 I rode Chair 22 what seemed like 22 times in a row - nobody there and all day wind buff refills. Ah memories...

  24. #749
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    327
    Yep, Lincoln is money, especially when the wind is buffing out skiers left side. 22/23 all day. Gotta get the Gondi a few times too for Dave's and the Dragon's ridge.

  25. #750
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    LaLa Land
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Yep, that's the pic I was thinking of! Unfortunately, kids school breaks are over the holidays and we have just a 5 day window. Normally, we don't head down that way until later in the season, always non-holiday. I think we'll hold off and stay local, the lodging is ridiculous priced anyway, was gonna stay in LV. June might be ok but not on MC pass.
    That has to have been the worst / most crowded day in the past 15 years of skiing Mammoth. Perfect storm = ginormous cluster. If I remember right, that Sunday or Monday was considerably better. For some reason the last day of the weekend or 3 day weekend is usually empty by noon as everyone heads back to SoCal.

    Reality is about as has been explained. Non-pow days, 22, 25, and 23 aren't bad at all crowd wise and with good terrain and vertical. Alta on a pow day in Feb. is about as bad as a "normal" pow day with Collins way out the maze. Just avoid ch2 and 16 between 10 and noon and then 1:00 till 3.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •