Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Wait, you work at Mammoth and live in Galena? I hope you have a place in Mammoth.
    Just down here part time these days, holiday periods etc. Squaw/Alpine pass is blacked out and it's to busy to free ski anyways. So it's an opportunity to make a few bucks, and ski for cheap (free) here the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I haven't heard that one. I'll ask at work tomorrow, but I think they would have mentioned that one at our last safety meeting. Will confirm.
    This is true, very curious that there haven't been any stories about it. I was out in the Tail that day--classic tree well conditions with over 5 feet of unconsolidated yet heavy snow. Plus almost no one skiing it due to the roughness of the traverse and Chair 9 being closed for a while.

Christmas Weekend - Wow

What a friggin weekend...no crowds, couple feet new, cold temps.
    22 was off-the-hook Saturday, best blower in years...CH9 for low angle trees, backside Sunday in Hemlock and CH14 trees.

Grizzly Ridge!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161224_103738.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	195983

Name:	20161224_103154.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	195984

CH25

Name:	20161224_113250.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	195985

Name:	20161224_093423.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	841.0 KB 
ID:	195986

Backside

Name:	20161225_102518.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	195987
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Nice BB, I guess there are advantages to $150 lift tickets when you have a pass.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I haven't heard that one. I'll ask at work tomorrow, but I think they would have mentioned that one at our last safety meeting. Will confirm.
    I think "safety meetings" are often snowboarders end up in tree wells

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Is that a cat track out Hemlock? I don't recall seeing that the few times I've skied that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Is that a cat track out Hemlock? I don't recall seeing that the few times I've skied that area.
    Yep, brand new. They're building a terrain park in the Hemlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Yep, brand new. They're building a terrain park in the Hemlocks.
    Ugh.....as if there isn't enough park area already, they gotta ruin Hemlock? Hope the project is short-lived.

Didn't even notice that, WTF? Agree, that is not the place to build a park, or even improve access. That and Dragon's ridge line should stay "earn your turns" status.

iscariot

Wow. That's super lame. Always thought that was fun hike-to stuff that stayed less-tracked a bit longer. Booo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Tall-t park rats and bc-minded folks couldn't be much more different. Wonder how many tall-t's will end up in Reds meadow after they hike Hemlock lured by park features.

Is anyone interested in going touring this weekend? I'm from Tahoe but am trippin down to southern california and would love to hike something, the bigger n steeper the better! Got my AT set up, 'pons and a trad rack, there's gotta be good options down there!
    Last edited by bennerlur; 12-28-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Well if you mean hike and not skin I can keep you company.

Ah, I did mean skin

Got a little more info on the submersion fatality on the tail last week. It was the day after the storm cycle ended when it went from rain to snow. Went in head first and "drowned". Heard it was super thick heavy pow. Buddy told me he could barely move on his 120mm waist skis. Nobodys talking about it which is the odd part. Also heard a rumour that someone got lost off the back of Hemlocks the same day, but they found that person. Quick update on todays conditions.

Name:	IMG_1882.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	196020
    The traverse out to Dave's this afternoon. No wind, beautiful up high.

Name:	IMG_1883.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	196021
    Looking over the edge of Daves late in the day. Still good snow to be found, but definitely had traffic on it as you can see by the bumps thru the choke. Best line was to veer left about where the 2nd skier is. Lower dropouts were skiing well and wipeout 2 was good after picking your way in. Did see the first long distance sliders off the top today. One in Wipe out and another in Drop out that went from two turns in to past where the chutes come together and narrowly missed rocks that are still exposed at the bottom of Drop out.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 12-28-2016 at 10:28 PM.

What's up guys?

Here's the dilly on the Hemlocks "natural" terrain park. In short, modeled after T-Rice's Baldface comp venue.

https://www.outsideonline.com/214204...d-terrain-park
    sproing!

"Dec 17 missing person reported. At 3:50 28 year old snowboarder found unresponsive in treewell on Dragonback by MMSA patrol during sweep. He was sent to Mammoth Hospital and later to Renown Hospital and expired on Sunday morning."

So sad...RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by bennerlur View Post
    Ah, I did mean skin
    You'll have to go high if you want more than a foot of snow; Mt San Antonio, San Jacinto, or San Gorgonio.

Could be a foot more coming in this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SponsoredByDuctTape View Post
    What's up guys?
    Hiya, Duct Tape!

Dude!
    U @?

Quote Originally Posted by SponsoredByDuctTape View Post
    What's up guys?
    This belongs in the "whatever happened to ?" thread....
    Hope the leg is good mang.

Twins - food/beer next weekend: 1/6?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnballs View Post
    Twins - food/beer next weekend: 1/6?
    Sounds good

Forecast next week looks....promising....