Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

I can not remember the last time the post on top was that buried in December. Isn't that post about 20 feet high?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Be safe out there and watch for tree wells boys
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

actually, fumaroles

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    This is looking like a good storm to ski two days after.
    I agree. I skied Tues through Friday and the best day was Wednesday wind buff on 23. Thursday I skied chair 8 at Canyon and had fun wet pow until I was so wet that I had to call it. Still fun. Friday I skied around Canyon and, like everyone else is saying, it was incredibly deep with a serious layer of windcrust on top. You just had to sit back to keep your tips up, and that is with 116 waist skis with rocker. It looked great but was not all that fun to ski. People were stuck everywhere. I was far less bummed to leave Friday afternoon and miss the top than I thought I would be. The great thing about this storm is that should be perfect base snow which should set things up for the rest of the year. To everyone up there have fun packing it down.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Off the top was ripple firm pow. Really a fun time.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Today is busy, but finding some little stashes deep in the trees. Tempted to hike Hemlock, there's a bootpack.

First tracks on Climax were great, otherwise the top was mostly wind board. The Tail was extremely deep (over 4 feet, my pole couldn't hit bottom) and not wind affected at all, although a little heavy.

These reports are making me wish I had stayed, despite how heavy it was yesterday. For the guys up there, how much of the top slid? If it didn't this storm should really set the mountain up base wise.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Looks like a decent crown on skiers right of Climax, but I don't know if that was new. That was all I saw that looked recent. I thought the top was soft, but set up pow. Really easy and fun to ski

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    . I thought the top was soft, but set up pow. Really easy and fun to ski
    Killing me. It was so thick down at Canyon on Friday that I told myself the top wouldn't be THAT great today. It looks like I was wrong. I'm glad to hear that not much slid.

P3 and P4 slid big

Upper dry slid along with w a few in the Noids, but nothing too major that will effect things long term.

Mrs. Comish was the first into the top via 14 on Saturday. In the gullies it was pretty sweet pow. Think real thick cream cheese. Not deep, but very smooth. Along anything approximating a ridge or open bowl it was windcrustastic. P1 was also quite fun on lap #2 before they got 23 spinning. The afternoon was spent lapping Wipe Out's with Mini Comish in some sweet windbuff.

Pretty stoked to be lapping 23 w/ the 8yr old Mini Comish. Feel like we have made it when you get to ski the same runs you would with your buddies, but with your 8yr old grom and you both get to the bottom totally stoked!
    https://www.facebook.com/dougmgriffi...4823646552498/

Ok, I'm a Jong, how do you make the video embedded so it doesn't need a clicky?

The hill is setup great for the winter now!
    Last edited by comish; 12-19-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    P3 and P4 slid big
    Did anyone get to hit up the noids?

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    P1 has been skiing good
    If you french fry when you pizza you're going to have a bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Nope, not in a few laps on P1.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Entrances to P2-P3/4 are sketchy. Doable, but plenty of exposed (an hidden) rocks. With care and bigger balls then I have you can ski them from the top. At least as of Sunday/Monday. Last night's precip. has likely changed that. The humps bumps between the 'noids where rocky, so beware of sharks teeth if hopping from one to the other. The main chute of each "noid was pretty full.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Light fluffy snow coming down all morning at Main Lodge today. Wind was fairly light as well.

So I had to go Saturday very impressed with terrain variety and number of lifts. I lapped 25 all day. At the upper areas there was an avalanche rope while they were screwing around with 9 all morning and I just poached that glorious thing like 6 times. The lower area was untracked tree powder all damn day nobody wanted a single speck of it. It was way fun crossing over the tree well bridges between the big ass trees. Went up 9 when it opened and it was strenuous to say the least and that was that. Saw that tickets are now $149 zowie.

Quote Originally Posted by smallies View Post
    So I had to go Saturday very impressed with terrain variety and number of lifts. I lapped 25 all day. At the upper areas there was an avalanche rope while they were screwing around with 9 all morning and I just poached that glorious thing like 6 times. The lower area was untracked tree powder all damn day nobody wanted a single speck of it. It was way fun crossing over the tree well bridges between the big ass trees. Went up 9 when it opened and it was strenuous to say the least and that was that. Saw that tickets are now $149 zowie.
    First time at Mammoth?

Not sure what you mean by Nine was strenuous?

Yeah, Mammoth has begun surge pricing and really screw families who can only ski on Holidays...and people wonder why the sport is slowly dyeing. Tickets are a little cheaper if you purchase a couple days in advance.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I mean it was unridable (for me) death face followed by traverse to steep sticky wind buff/avi debris snow. First time there indeed. I have to go check out that cliff band under the gondola next time it really has character. Hope those prices surge downward 75 would be a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yeah, Mammoth has begun surge pricing and really screw families who can only ski on Holidays...and people wonder why the sport is slowly dyeing. Tickets are a little cheaper if you purchase a couple days in advance.
    I think the term that Rusty quoted was "Dynamic Pricing". I've worked here for years and I can't tell you what a lift ticket costs from one day/one hour to the next. Here's what I do know, $147.50 for an adult lift ticket right now. Can we get a collective OUCH! What the F%#k are you going to do? Seems to be the nature of the beast. Here's the thing, in two weeks during January mid week madness, it will probably be less than $100, and the place will be empty. The rational is hotels and airlines have been doing it for years, so why not? At least that's MNGMNT's thinking. Sucks.
    On a positive note, West wind of 20-30 mph was kicking in by the afternoon. Daves was silky wind blown top to bottom. Lower half of drop out was the same. Temperature warmed up just enough that my feet weren't numb all day, unlike Sunday. Should be the same again tomorrow. Heard rumours that Vail was $175 this week. Can anyone confirm?

Disney started doing it, so Rusty followed suit. Sucks for families and students who are limited to weekends and holidays. But then, Rusty and the corporate overlords don't care unless they are rich enough to buy golf course ski homes, and those people can afford $147.50.

iscariot

Any truth to the rumor that there was a tree well fatality (possibly in the Dragon's Tail vicinity) on 12/17?

Mammoth 16/17

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Any truth to the rumor that there was a tree well fatality (possibly in the Dragon's Tail vicinity) on 12/17?
    I haven't heard that one. I'll ask at work tomorrow, but I think they would have mentioned that one at our last safety meeting. Will confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I think the term that Rusty quoted was "Dynamic Pricing". I've worked here for years and I can't tell you...
    Wait, you work at Mammoth and live in Galena? I hope you have a place in Mammoth.