Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Will be at the resort with my kids (7 and 10) this weekend. Maybe a day trip to Death Valley. We'll be camping . . . somewhere. Anyhow, the boy and I will be on Praxis.
    I'm curious about where you take your grubs in DV....

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I'm curious about where you take your grubs in DV....
    I have no idea. Badwater? Artist's Drive? What do you think Hutash? I've never been before, but every time I have a visitor from abroad, it's near the top of their list. So I figured we should check it out. The Ancient Bristlecone Forest is also tempting (and closer).

DV is a big fucking park. If you have the dog, I recommend the fringe areas.

I'm jealous of peeps lapping chair 23. I have many youthful memories of lapping that chair over this coming holiday weekend.

Easy entrance into baby hangmans last weeekend
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3328.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	568.7 KB 
ID:	206895

DV has lots of options. Weather is an issue. Late May can get really hot, but not August hot.

Bad water is kind of cool (hot?) with kids. 285 ft below sea level. There is a sign up on the hillside above the parking lot showing sea level. Campy but cool. The Devil's Golf Course I'd it is not too hot is interesting. Walk out onto weird salt formations and great views of the valley and surrounding peaks. Stovepipe Wells Dune fields are fun for kids if not too hot. It is a great way to burn off kid energy, just let them.loose to run around on the dunes. Kids love it and they can run and jump and tumble down the dunes to there hearts content. Just be prepared to deal with sand in the shoes, eyes and assholes. There is some interesting historical sites, but probably not too interesting to kids. It is a long, hot drive out to the Race Track Playa and need high clearance, but cool to see the moving rocks, but probably not that interesting to kids. Don't bother with Scotty's Castle. Probably still closed from the floods, but not that big a deal. Artist's Palette is subdued colors and can be seen from an air conditioned car.

Euro's love DV especially in summer. I think they just love the bragging rights of 120 plus degree temps.

Anyway, that's the Readers Digest version of of DV. Lots of other options...Ryolyte ghost town Titus (Titeass) Canyon, DV Junction/Opera House, various view points, remains of ghost towns/mines, etc.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I can go on and on about the White Mts and bristle cone forests. If you are interested I will be happy to give beta. I am going to be in Mammoth and would be happy to talk about it over a beer or on the chairlift. You can also call me or PM for more info. The Bristle cone forests are pretty cool and one of my favorite places in California.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

We enjoyed surprise canyon in panamint valley. We were mellow and the kids and dog played in the water the whole time. We didn't get too far up the canyon. We have friends that love eurka dunes with their kids. Im not sure about heat out there. Access to both areas currently doable with single axle drive and non-high clearance.

Mammy is so cool. The lift schedule for this weekend is insane. If we had more than a single day, I'd be bringing my son down there instead of Squaw, which looks like they closed Granite and Headwall despite copious snow.

Hope they keep spinning 5 into weekends of June. 12 would be cool too. Never rode that lift before.

Thanks, D. We'll be at the resort tomorrow morning. Shoot me a text in the a.m.

Dumb question: Where's the best place to park, buy tickets, and start the day? Main Lodge?

Thanks, D. We'll be at the resort tomorrow morning. Shoot me a text in the a.m.

Dumb question: Where's the best place to park, buy tickets, and start the day? Main Lodge?
    I prefer the Mill/chair 2 parking lot. The ticket both was open two weekends ago, so I assume it will be open MMD weekend. It is a good play to ask for change for a nickel. The Chair 4 parking lot will likely be open, but I don't like parking there. Since Chair 17 will be open, the ticket both at Canyon Lodge should be open, so lots of parking there, but I don't know for a fact it will be open. Parking at Canyon makes hiking Lincoln Mt an option if the kids are at that level. Parking at Main is a pain IMO since you are likely to have to walk a bit or take the parking shuttle.

All that said, chair 2 is where I normally park this time of year, but I am staying on Canyon Blvd, so will likely go to Canyon Lodge on the bus. I won't get into town until 6PMish. Plan on skiing the hill on Sunday and likely touring on Monday.

iscariot

Summer shredding - Mammoth will be open into August! With a current base depth of 120” at Main Lodge and 270” at the summit, Mammoth will be operating DAILY into August for one of our longest seasons in history. When will this endless winter end? We don’t have that answer yet, but we do know that the skiing and riding is all-time right now. Get out there and get your summer shred on with us.
    More information on lifts/terrain/operating hours here: mammothmountain.com/…/mountain-…/snow-conditions-and-weather
    Goddamn I love you Mammoth Mt!

(and yeah AKB, the Mill/Stump is where you wanna park. Just get there early - small lot.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Mammy is so cool. The lift schedule for this weekend is insane. If we had more than a single day, I'd be bringing my son down there instead of Squaw, which looks like they closed Granite and Headwall despite copious snow.

Hope they keep spinning 5 into weekends of June. 12 would be cool too. Never rode that lift before.
    Squaw closed Granite? That's weird, they usually leave that open until the end. When I lived there I used to hike Granite Peak all the time in May. Direct Chute is awesome in slush.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Mammoth 16/17

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I prefer the Mill/chair 2 parking lot. The ticket both was open two weekends ago, so I assume it will be open MMD weekend. It is a good play to ask for change for a nickel. The Chair 4 parking lot will likely be open, but I don't like parking there. Since Chair 17 will be open, the ticket both at Canyon Lodge should be open, so lots of parking there, but I don't know for a fact it will be open. Parking at Canyon makes hiking Lincoln Mt an option if the kids are at that level. Parking at Main is a pain IMO since you are likely to have to walk a bit or take the parking shuttle.

All that said, chair 2 is where I normally park this time of year, but I am staying on Canyon Blvd, so will likely go to Canyon Lodge on the bus. I won't get into town until 6PMish. Plan on skiing the hill on Sunday and likely touring on Monday.
    Mammy website says ticket office and lockers will be open at Canyon.

And, yeah, never seen Granite close before KT.

I hiked granite two weeks ago. It was my best run of the day by far. There's no reason to close it other than scaling down operations. Which... well, it's nearly June so it's hard to get too upset. And also demonstrates how awesome Mammoth is.

[Thread drift - as soon as Squaw closes down KT lift, they will open up headwall & granite. Unless there is a reason not to, like melted out creek in onload area]

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I hiked granite two weeks ago. It was my best run of the day by far. There's no reason to close it other than scaling down operations. Which... well, it's nearly June so it's hard to get too upset. And also demonstrates how awesome Mammoth is.
    When I lived there Squaw would go down to the big 5 in May. You would take the tram up, they had a couple of lifts around high camp, then Shirley and Granite. They would shut everything else down. It was still fun, I would hike Granite peak 4-5 times then ski Corkscrew when it softened. I don't blame them for scaling back operations, I'm just surprised they closed Granite. I guess if KT is still open I wouldn't complain.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

KT's last day tomorrow. Open until 7pm.
    Plus pond skim by onload.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Congrats, Mammoth regulars. You have a fun resort.

Couldn't find any spots in Rock Creek as planned, so we camped near Crowley Lake.

We skied on Saturday. The kids liked the park and the halfpipe.

If you ski Ritter, you can annoy your children by bragging about it and pointing it out at every opportunity.

We had fun snow the whole time.

Sunday, we went to Death Valley. The high was 116 degrees that day.

The kids weren't impressed that it's the hottest place on earth. Instead, they asked me why I would take them to the hottest place on earth.

It's pretty in an ugly kind of way?

If you get past the heat, it's a great place for frisbee.

"Go stand over there." "Why?" "Because I said so."

Whitney is the big name, but I pine for Lone Pine.

Stopped by Manzanar.

More skiing on Monday. The girl drops first.

Your turn, boy.

Ritter and Banner seemed to watch us the entire time.

There was a hulk near this run.

Ciao, Mammoth!
    Last edited by AKbruin; 05-30-2017 at 11:22 AM.

^ Sweet picts! Great weekend! Huge Props to Mammoth for running as many lifts as they did. I think there something like 16 lifts running this weekend including 9 with tons of snow. The whole mountain skied great.

Mini-Comish ticked off a new run off the top each day. Saturday was 2 laps down MJB's, Sunday was 2 laps on Hangers, and Monday was 2 laps in Huevos from the top. Each time he wanted to go back for the 2nd lap. Thankful that 8 year olds are like gumby. He did a total yard sale on World Cup after the 2nd run down Hangers where one of his skis shot 10 feet into the air and the other didn't release for a long time as I watched the knee torque. I would have been f*cked! He was limping till that night when hall soccer showed the knee who was boss and he magically became fine again.

Sooo stoked to have Mammoth as our home mountain. Mini Comish is fired up to have his birthday party on July 29th skiing! US Women's National Team has supposedly booked Mammoth for last week of July through Aug. 2nd which is likely one thing keeping them open "into August".

Hey Squaw, that is daily operations into August, not just Shirley for 2 hours on Saturday
    He who has the most fun wins!

FKNA Mammy rocks. Been contemplating getting out there on our way to San Diego from Santa Cruz. Slight detour. Skiing looks like it will be fine till June 17th. Hoping at least chair 2 is still spinning.

Been looking for lodging and holy shit Mammoth Lakes is expensive. Would love to copy AKBruin and camp after a day of skiing. That might work with my boy, but don't think the wife would be too stoked.

Hoping it does not heat wave over the next few weeks and burn things out.

So. Friggin'. Good.
    Chair 9, 'Noids, Sign Line, Avi's all perfect.
    Thanks Ops for running 17 & 9 ...huge bonus!!

Mattitude outta Head Chute

Name:	20170529_091707.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	701.0 KB 
ID:	207093

Noids

Name:	20170527_181656.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	888.9 KB 
ID:	207094

LBSkier surveying Wazoo? Waz good.

Name:	20170527_181813.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	872.4 KB 
ID:	207095

Dad, hit this now or later?

Name:	20170527_181925.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	896.0 KB 
ID:	207097

Avi 2 on Saturday - best run of the day.

Name:	20170527_181317.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	811.8 KB 
ID:	207098

Groomers on Sunday

Name:	20170528_132444.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	207099
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

"Go stand over there." "Why?" "Because I said so."
    you lug the fam all the way to DV and you don't even ski the dunes? for shame!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

[QUOTE=Barnballs;5030317]

Avi 2 on Saturday - best run of the day.

Name:	20170527_181317.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	811.8 KB 
ID:	207098

Your tracks were on Avi 2 and 2.5 were there Sunday morning in all their glory. No other track visible...nice job. It is amazing how a short hike will keep people away from one of the best spring lines in Mammoth. We hit it on Tuesday and it was the run of the day as well.

The mountain could use a few cold nights to corn up. Low on the top the other day as 49F Everything steep is skiing well, but as soon as the angle moderates just a little it becomes a nightmare of slush and sticky turns. The salted groomers are skiing well, especially after the ski camp runs open up.

AKbruin, and Comish, conrats on your kids hitting some big lines, must be fun having kids to rips with.

iscariot

This thread makes me long for more mammy! Met some of my Utah buds down there for a Saturday, Sunday cornfest. Spent Sunday lapping Avi chutes, only saw a couple of others all day. Fun Stuff...

The band

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	435.6 KB 
ID:	207167

The skiing

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	830.3 KB 
ID:	207168

Views:	89 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	207169

Views:	81 
Size:	403.1 KB 
ID:	207170

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	362.3 KB 
ID:	207171

Excellent shots guys. My ski lease ended on May 17 and I don't quite have it in me to hit up that drive again, so I'm probably done. Great year though. Keep those photos coming and maybe I'll get inspired to go up and get a hotel room in June. It still looks fun, but south swell season is here.