Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 752

Thread: Mammoth 16/17

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,259

    Mammoth 16/17

    It doesn't look like we have a thread yet for 16/17 so here it is.

    Snowman says they got 14-20 inches by this morning. Anyone up there? I'm at home sick so this weekend was a no go for me.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."


    "You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

    "I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,012
    Just need a bit more coverage before I make the 6 hour drive
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    108
    Amped for the season

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    7,761
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Just need a bit more coverage before I make the 6 hour drive
    Can't you get there faster this time of year? Or at least the drive is easier? Less snow on the road, fewer drivers. Seems like 20" would do pretty well over the current base.

    If I could get away for a weekend (and had a pass) I would give 'er the drive until KW opens off the top.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    LaLa Land
    Posts
    2,923
    Yeah, pretty darn fun weekend. Thursday was ripping Drop Out laps, Friday Dave's laps in stellar wind buff with my 8 yr old. His report was wind buff face shots and it was "awesome"! Saturday 7:30am opening was beautiful. Crowds not bad. Significantly better than last year so yeah, better stay away until we get more snow

    Snowed a proper 14" Saturday night. The top is pretty dang filled in. Just needed to cover a nasty ice layer that was in random spots, but coverage up top is pretty good for November. While I was laying flooring yesterday, Mini Comish apparently got first tracks on Drop Outs from the late top opening. Overall an awesome weekend.
    He who has the most fun wins!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Can't you get there faster this time of year?
    LA is the problem year round for those of us in SD.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Can't you get there faster this time of year? Or at least the drive is easier? Less snow on the road, fewer drivers. Seems like 20" would do pretty well over the current base.

    If I could get away for a weekend (and had a pass) I would give 'er the drive until KW opens off the top.
    The issue with getting to Mammoth is really not the weather. It is rare to hit snow until you pass through Bishop and go up the Sherwin grade, and even there it is usually not that bad. The problem coming from Orange County is getting through LA. I usually leave at 4 am on Saturday morning and it takes me about 5 hours and 40 minutes to get to the ski lease. If I can leave on Friday by 230 pm I do, but even then it takes about 7 hours because of LA. Sometimes I will leave at 7 pm on Friday if it looks like the traffic has cleared up.

    When I was in college coming from Santa Barbara it was about 6 hours but it was a consistent 6 because we did not have to deal with LA. People in the northern tip of LA can get there faster, they can also leave later on Friday, miss the traffic and not arrive too late. The hour south of northern LA that OC is makes a big difference.

    Comish,

    Stoked to hear you had fun. I will probably not make this weekend either, but maybe the weekend after that. I am always conflicted about the early season pow, obviously you want to ski it but I'm always worried about the sharks, I don't want to take a rock to my knee or crash into a scree field.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."


    "You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

    "I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    LaLa Land
    Posts
    2,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    The issue with getting to Mammoth is really not the weather. It is rare to hit snow until you pass through Bishop and go up the Sherwin grade, and even there it is usually not that bad. The problem coming from Orange County is getting through LA. I usually leave at 4 am on Saturday morning and it takes me about 5 hours and 40 minutes to get to the ski lease. If I can leave on Friday by 230 pm I do, but even then it takes about 7 hours because of LA. Sometimes I will leave at 7 pm on Friday if it looks like the traffic has cleared up.

    When I was in college coming from Santa Barbara it was about 6 hours but it was a consistent 6 because we did not have to deal with LA. People in the northern tip of LA can get there faster, they can also leave later on Friday, miss the traffic and not arrive too late. The hour south of northern LA that OC is makes a big difference.

    Comish,

    Stoked to hear you had fun. I will probably not make this weekend either, but maybe the weekend after that. I am always conflicted about the early season pow, obviously you want to ski it but I'm always worried about the sharks, I don't want to take a rock to my knee or crash into a scree field.
    Totally fair concern, but, the coverage up top is excellent in the gullies. Ridges not so much, but that is par for the course. About 1/2 way up 3 and lower is a whole different story as the Oct storms were all rain from there down so coverage is sketchy from there down. Luckily we need less snow on the lower mountain. Daves, The gullies of the Drop's, Wipe's, Cornice, Scotty's, those are all good to go. The only issue there was the weird ice layer on the top and on some of the ridge lines lower down. Hopefully that is now buried and Mini Comish said it was way better than on Thursday, but he is only 8 so take that report with a grain of salt.

    Yeah, that extra hour + is the main reason I couldn't live south of where we are. Just makes the weekend routine way too brutal. We are 4.5 hours home on Sundays every weekend without fail. Fridays is somewhere between 5 and 5:30 depending on getting out of LA. 6 or 7pm is better than 3pm usually. If we can leave by 2pm then it seems to make it worth it, but then I'm saddled with tons of stops for dinner, peeing, etc. whereas if we leave late everyone sleeps. Much more peaceful drive, but a tougher Saturday morning for sure.
    He who has the most fun wins!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,012
    Hopefully the $400 spent on the Escort Redline radar detector keeps me ticket-less this winter. My best time from San Diego is 5 hours 45 minutes door to door. Looking forward to a new personal best around the 15th of December
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Hopefully the $400 spent on the Escort Redline radar detector keeps me ticket-less this winter. My best time from San Diego is 5 hours 45 minutes door to door. Looking forward to a new personal best around the 15th of December
    You are definitely pushing it speed wise. I'm a wuss so I only drive around 70-75. If there is enough bait around and people are whizzing past me I bump it up a bit. I'm impressed at 5 hours 45 minutes though, that is my normal time from OC.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."


    "You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

    "I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,180
    Getting tagged on 203 (clocked me near the airport and took him a bit to catch up) at 12:40 am in December 2010 was my final impetus to snag a Passport 8500 x50. Bought on eBay first thing Monday morning when I got into work. The ticket prior to that one (January 2008) was at 12:40 am on 80 in Vacaville on the way to skiing as well.

    Haven't had a ticket since... knock on wood.

    The Waze app is helpful on that front too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    19,802
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Hopefully the $400 spent on the Escort Redline radar detector keeps me ticket-less this winter. My best time from San Diego is 5 hours 45 minutes door to door. Looking forward to a new personal best around the 15th of December
    Don't count on it. Lazer is tough to detect in time, and I am seeing more and more of it between LA and Mammoth.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,259
    The closest I came to getting a ticket going to Mammoth was between Olancha and Lone Pine. There is one bend with a pullout and they just sit there. I would say there is a cop there about half the time. You come around the bend and they can zap you before you see them. One morning around 8 am I cruised past going 81. The guy gave me a long look and I thought he would pull out but he didn't. I guess he figured there were bigger fish to fry.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."


    "You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

    "I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,180
    I was super pissed when I got mine because I was very careful going through towns. And it was only when I was clear of Bishop that I really opened it up on the deserted stretch. Remember, this was 12:40 a.m. Road was dry. Zero safety issues. Bah.

    Also, what Hutash said, LIDAR will still get you. I've been hit elsewhere (not speeding significantly), and my buddy's been hit with it on 203 coming down from town just before 395. And, damn, when you get lit up with LIDAR, the noise your Escort makes will wake the dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    621
    Jajajaaaaaaa

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I was super pissed when I got mine because I was very careful going through towns. And it was only when I was clear of Bishop that I really opened it up on the deserted stretch. Remember, this was 12:40 a.m. Road was dry. Zero safety issues. Bah.

    Also, what Hutash said, LIDAR will still get you. I've been hit elsewhere (not speeding significantly), and my buddy's been hit with it on 203 coming down from town just before 395. And, damn, when you get lit up with LIDAR, the noise your Escort makes will wake the dead.
    I sometimes do the late-night drive to avoid LA traffic, and for at least the last year, there have consistently been cops between Bishop and Mammoth, moreso than any of the other stretches between towns. Personally, I prefer cruising at 74 and not having the stress of a potential ticket.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    LaLa Land
    Posts
    2,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I sometimes do the late-night drive to avoid LA traffic, and for at least the last year, there have consistently been cops between Bishop and Mammoth, moreso than any of the other stretches between towns. Personally, I prefer cruising at 74 and not having the stress of a potential ticket.
    This has been our MO for a bunch of years as well. Doing that drive 2 to 3 times per month, the stress level goes way down when you just throw the cruise at 75. Been tempted to get a detector, but one of the only tickets I have ever gotten was with a detector.
    He who has the most fun wins!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    7,837
    Funny to click on this thread and see discussion of tickets. I just got nailed last week coming back to Tahoe on 395 where the limit drops to 55 (I was on cruise control at 74 mph). Was really glad I only had one beer at June Lake Brewing Company. If only I had made it another 2-3 miles into Nevada first. Ugh.

    The mountain was in fine shape even before this last wave of storms, it must be pretty nice now. Since there are no pics in this thread so far, this was on Nov 19th...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-11-17 08.54.28.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	193842
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-11-17 08.54.28-1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	193841  

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    19,802
    All detectors do now is tell you you are about to get a ticket. CHP are wise to them and have plenty of tricks to beat them if they so choose. Fortunately they can be lazy SOBs and there are plenty of easy tickets to right .

    The place I tend to see the most CHP is Tom's Place to Mammoth Airport. I just don't bother to try a speed anymore just cruise at 70-75 and not worry.

    Heading up Saturday PM and will be in town through Tuesday if peeps are around.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,012
    The reason for the particular model I purchased was because of the distance it picks up the use of radar/laser guns. If no one is in front of me for miles and miles, I may be screwed, but if someone is up front causing a gun to go on, I hope to be ok. I will cautiously try it on my first trip to see what I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,180
    FYI... for LIDAR, it's still going to be essentially useless. As I understand it, there's virtually no "scatter" (like there is with radar reflecting off things). Simply the nature of the technology. Stated differently, if you get a true LIDAR hit, you're being lit up and he's got you. Something to be aware of.

    As stated above, if you're concerned about this stuff, do yourself a favor and roadtrip with the Waze app on your phone on your dash. It's cool. And helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    7,837

    Mammoth 16/17

    ^^ Sounds like a lot of effort. ;-)

    Umm... so does the traffic school BS I'm gonna have to do soon, online at least.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 11-29-2016 at 10:03 PM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,259
    I always see cops at the bottom of the Sherwin Grade, getting people who are being completely reasonable but letting the car run a bit as it goes downhill.

    My dad got a ticket in Malibu about 7 years ago. We were going downhill near where the shopping center with the grocery store is. I was in front, at a bit less than 60, he was behind me a ways going right at 60. The cop got him going downhill and said 60 was basically what they will ticket for. My dad wrote a letter to the judge stating the he was driving safely and there were few cars on the road. He added that in a time of 4 dollar gas prices it would have been environmentally and economically irresponsible to hit the brakes hard to slow down when he was already driving safely. He has a PHD in economics and he signed his name Dr., something he never does. The judge let him off.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."


    "You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

    "I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,137
    Anybody up on the hill today? Thinking about waking early and making the drive tomorrow
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    2,385
    So does anyone ski here or do u just drive to and from mammoth?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •