Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Miles Per Year?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Heh back in my road racing days another guy and I proposed a handicapping system instead of the usual Cat 1/2/3/4. You got a 5 sec time bonus per kid, and another five for each one under five. You also got a five sec bonus per day you had to travel overnight for business the week prior to racing. There was another time bonus if your spouse worked full time and/or traveled, but don't remember amounts

We didn't get very far.
    thats pretty funny

the only problem I see is some guys with kids, good job, wife etc are pretty on point and absolute hammers, I don't know the reasoning but they are

while some guy with no kids, not much at all for that fact, are pretty big slouches and maybe have motivational issues but have free time

Love the handicap concept. We call it the working man's winner, highest place among the elite/open class who has a fulltime job and wife/kids.

I am much faster now than I was before kids, significant part is working from home a few days a week with several road and MTB lunch loop options. Coupled with the fact that my training time w/ kids becomes much more focused, minimal junk miles and rest happens naturally with family duties.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    yes
    Me too. The group must be set up to only track bike activities? It would be nice if strava distinguished between road and mountain bike, I noticed they have resort and alpine ski categories.

Some strong dick waving in this thread. Man I need more time to ride.
    I'm not very fast but I can do it all day long...(or night)
    The complete opposite of my sex life.
    Envious of some of you. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Tour sedan are you training for AK?

I have 0 road mIles and closing in on 1000 mtb to work miles (most not on strava). Not sure how to tell mtb for fun miles.

Do you guys use strava for tracking skiing?
    Training?!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA.... Fuck Racing. I just like to ride bikes... and drink whiskey.... typically simultaneously. I did turn it down a bit this year. I busted a bunch of ribs at the beginning of the season, and the old bag and I had another kid a couple of months ago. Lucky for me, we both realize that I'm a better person if I take some time to spin out the hate.... and booze.

Miles Per Year?

About 7100 miles, 560,000 vert here split pretty equally amongst road, mtb, single speeds, and cross. (Strava stats)

Last year I hit 8000 miles so I am down a little this year

I live at the edge of the Sierra foothills so ride regularly year round in fair weather even during winter ski season (ie rode 2 hrs on the road bike today cruising at 45 degrees in afternoon. Tomorrow I get first ski day in at Kirkwood)

Married no kids. 40 year old Full time white collar "business development" job. Work out of home office, boss is 2000 miles away. Work strange international hours some times due to working for international based company. Travel a bunch for work too but often take a bike with me on overnights and use Strava to plan and find new routes

Pro/Cat 1 MTB/Cross racer so I log lots of miles to train for races and events. HS MTB racing yooooge near me and I coach and ride with the kids....they are freaking fast (one kid just got on U23 National team and is newest member to the Giant Factory Off-road team with Craig, Decker, etc)and keep me motivated.

I"lol join the Strava group haha
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Jeez Ron, don't be such a slacker.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Big injury this year so I'm at a measly 750 miles/120K vert.

Last healthy year: ~2K miles/330K vert.

All dirt.

Can't wait to get back on the horse. Your Mom Just Called is my hero.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I went up some things.

Then I went down them.

+/- a few things, still calibrating.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

6,737 miles with 550,259 ft of gain for the season as of right now;

About 600 miles of this is singletrack, maybe 100 miles on an indoor trainer, rest is about 50/50 pavement/gravel.

My best season yet, took a lot of cold early morning starts (with lights) to make it happen. I work full time and I'm married with 2 small kids.
    Last edited by scharny; 12-20-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Big injury this year so I'm at a measly 750 miles/120K vert.

Last healthy year: ~2K miles/330K vert.

All dirt.

Can't wait to get back on the horse. Your Mom Just Called is my drunk hero.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    It must be nice to not have young kids
    Ha, that's what I was thinking. Full-time desk driver, plus twin 4 year olds...

1000 miles, 170,000 vert on MTB
    ~800 miles road (daily commute primarily)

EDIT: holy fack Scharny

I think work has more of an impact than kids by a long shot. I've got three kids 8 and under and can still get out plenty because I'm able to take 2-3 hour lunch rides due to having a super flexible gig.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    277 riding days in a calendar year is indeed impressive.

^^^ We're not worthy!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Hey that's nice of veloviewer to do that without a paid account. Have been meaning to sign up anyway, they give you some neat comparison stuff and more details than just strava

Last edited by jamal; 01-02-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Bumping an old thread. Watcha got this year?

Miles Per Year?

Just spent some time stalking mags on Strava.

Who is Touring Sedan? That dude kills it.

The rest of y'all are soft.

(I'm just shy of 1500 miles and 200,000'. All MTB except maybe 60 miles. which is about HALF of the sedan)

I don't Strava my work commute. 3-4 days/week and 6.5miles/day
    Last edited by Tech Tonics; 10-23-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Update:
    I stand corrected. There are some maggot-hammers. Some dude from VT averages 265 miles/week!!!

Miles Per Year?

Don’t get too caught up in total numbers... Partly due to injuries but I’ve ridden way less this year than the previous few but it’s been extremely high quality bang for my buck type of riding. I’ve done plenty of 10 mile / 2k rides that are way better (and harder) than a lot of 20 mile / 3k rides. MTB vs road bike is a huge difference too.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Miles Per Year?

Well sure. I understand that road miles (or rolling MTB miles) are a lot different than steep trail riding (an average after-work ride on my local trails is ~10miles and 2000' of climbing.)

But still, 265 miles a week is a fkn ton. And the sedan is a beast too as his miles seem to be all singletrack.

Last year I started in January, this year mid-March. Crrently at 4227mi which I guess makes sense given the later start, plus wildfire smoke was pretty bad and that kept me inside for a few weeks.

had surgery at the end of January which screwed up the first few months of the year for me. Just broke 4000 miles a few weeks ago. All on a road bike, although a few of them were on dirt. I finally get to filter the Strava leaderboards for age 55-64 now, which is nice.

Somedays I feel like I ride a lot, then I look at Strava and realize I don't. So far in 2017 I have about 1000 miles of 100% mountain biking. I hope to hit 1200 by years end.

Strava should differentiate between road and off road bike miles. Roadies can gobble up miles at a staggering rate compared to mtbing.