Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Fidel Castro pops off.

Well, my thoughts about Castro seem to waver two directions at once, hence my somewhat irreverent thread title and lack of RIP.

I respect him for having the cajones (and gall) to fight against capitalism for 50 plus years. And keeping a revolutionary mindset. And damn, to not falter under such a ridiculous economic blockade, took guts and craftiness.

But I despise his endorsement of Marxist/Leninism. Marxist/Leninism was a failed experiment. Failed everywhere it was applied. Failed in so many ways, large and small.

The thing that sucks about communism is that it seems to put despots in power, while essentially outright shitting on individual freedom.

I think in short, he was much more of a dictator and a despot than a savior.
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 11-26-2016 at 12:29 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1480141121.709220.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	193533

That's my HS buddy Pete Turnley on the left. He and Castro were pretty tight.

They probably taxed him to death.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I hate to cheer the death of anyone but today is a great day for millions of Cubans.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

I heard him speak in Santo domingo...it was cool.

RIP

He tried, did well, made mistakes and lived a good life. Fighting against the machine is an important lesson for all humans. The contrast being the USA in the 80s and until Trump.....we have really lowered the bar worldwide for stupidity and selfishness. Ignoring our contributions, Cuba may have begun many small revolutions for the mind in the Future. Utopia is what we NEED.....striving for this ideal is OK.

In Africa, many places have more churches than hospitals. Maybe the soul is healed with more force as to not need the "healing" the corporate West provides........
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I hate to cheer the death of anyone but today is a great day for millions of Cubans.
    Well, his brother is in power still. Don't expect any huge changes right off the bat. However, his brother isn't much younger and once he pops off as well, expect HYUGE change in Cuba. Prolly will be tRump Resorts and tRump Towers all over the island. In that case, I guess, it IS a sad day for Cuba.

He was a totalitarian dictator who caused incalculable unnecessary suffering.
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Well, his brother is in power still. Don't expect any huge changes right off the bat. However, his brother isn't much younger and once he pops off as well, expect HYUGE change in Cuba. Prolly will be tRump Resorts and tRump Towers all over the island. In that case, I guess, it IS a sad day for Cuba.
    Everyone knows Raul stalled Progress mostly for fidels sake. This is he beginning of the beginning for Cuba.

Idk. He generally cared for his country and people. When I think of despots I think Kim Jong, Putin, Assad , mogabe. Power and personal enrichment was their only motivation. Fidel gave the poor health care, education a decent quality of life. The average American might have a better quality of life but a large segment has a much worse quality. Is it better that we have a chance to over enrich ourselves while a lot of people suffer or take care of everyone to a decent standard. Fidel didn't get crazier and more brutal over the years. He believed what he believed and had integrity. Definitely no angel, people died, but he was no psycho a la Kim Jong or Putin

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    idel gave the poor health care, education a decent quality of life. The average American might have a better quality of life but a large segment has a much worse quality.
    Bull fucking shit.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    I heard him speak in Santo domingo...it was cool.

RIP

He tried, did well, made mistakes and lived a good life. Fighting against the machine is an important lesson for all humans. The contrast being the USA in the 80s and until Trump.....we have really lowered the bar worldwide for stupidity and selfishness. Ignoring our contributions, Cuba may have begun many small revolutions for the mind in the Future. Utopia is what we NEED.....striving for this ideal is OK.

In Africa, many places have more churches than hospitals. Maybe the soul is healed with more force as to not need the "healing" the corporate West provides........
    But how do you "fight against the machine" without BECOMING the machine? Fidel seems to exemplify that you can't...at least not in the way he was leading.

I despise American-style capitalism and think it is as despotic as any other form of dictatorship, however, fighting it by so vastly quashing individual freedom of expression as he did, is the height of Orwellian Double-Speak.

If "Utopia" requires the quashing of freedom of expression how can that be different than any other brainwashing-style of oppression, including American corporatism and consumerism?

Unemployment will skyrocket as soon as they go free market. There will be no need for marginal labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Bull fucking shit.
    I know. Shocking eh. We have a dirty little secret too. A lot of indigenous people live in squalor here on reserves and in many cases worse off the res

Will be a shame when Cuba gets over run with Prius's.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Idk. He generally cared for his country and people. When I think of despots I think Kim Jong, Putin, Assad , mogabe. Power and personal enrichment was their only motivation. Fidel gave the poor health care, education a decent quality of life. The average American might have a better quality of life but a large segment has a much worse quality. Is it better that we have a chance to over enrich ourselves while a lot of people suffer or take care of everyone to a decent standard. Fidel didn't get crazier and more brutal over the years. He believed what he believed and had integrity. Definitely no angel, people died, but he was no psycho a la Kim Jong or Putin
    Everything you said there, I agree with, and is why I'm torn two separate ways concerning Fidel. He certainly did seem to have an inner strength to him. And I agree that he DID try to help the poor in his country, and did so with great success.

But damn, he ruled, apparently, with an iron fist, and I don't believe that is ever right.

Fidel Castro pops off.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Everything you said there, I agree with, and is why I'm torn two separate ways concerning Fidel. He certainly did seem to have an inner strength to him. And I agree that he DID try to help the poor in his country, and did so with great success.

But damn, he ruled, apparently, with an iron fist, and I don't believe that is ever right.
    Ya also torn. Torture and imprisonment and human rights abuses are the other side of the coin. Lots of unfair bs in a democratic society as well. History will decide I guess

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ife_expectancy

Cuba and USA are and have been neck and neck for a number of years, right now USA is ahead
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Everyone is educated and literate on that island (well, almost everyone), and we just elected a President who doesn't read, and some think can't read.

I really want to go To Cuba before it turns into The Keys II.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    I really want to go To Cuba before it turns into The Keys II.
    My friends from Canada have been going for years say it's not all that great really. I too want to go as I grew up with a close friend who's family was from Cuba his grandfather was treasurer of Cuba pre castro. Castro kicked them out. I can't imagine it's much different than any of the other surrounding islands aside from language and food. The rums good, the cigars? Meh I'd usually take an Arturo Fuentes over a cohiba any day.

I would think you could go on a hell of a trip for not much money. Ill take an Opus X or a Anejo over most Cohibas.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    I would think you could go on a hell of a trip for not much money. Ill take an Opus X or a Anejo over most Cohibas.
    Opus are divine aren't they? I was lucky enough to work for J&R tobacco.
    Yeah I agree cheap cheap. I'm partial to Jamaica myself. Been there about 15 times, love the rum and cheap herbs.

Stuck in the Live Music Capital of the World
    I'll have a coke...

I luv me a cuban sammy.

I thought he died years ago, weekend at Fidels?
    watch out for snakes

So maybe Raul runs the same show for 5 years, then he dies, then it will be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.