Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Peak and Harmony skied great today. Didn't really find any soft snow, but lots of smooth chalky goodness on shale slope, the horseshoes, etc. Even Whistler bowl was smoothed out enough that you could carve GS turns straight down the middle. But maybe the skis made conditions feel more giving than they actually were?
    Ah I should have gone over there, haha probably but I was on a bodacious so I can’t really blame the skis.

Glad the -2cm mount worked for you! I think everyone should mount it there unless they are coming from a park ski.

+1 on going -2cm of the line. That’s where I have mine and wouldn’t change it.

They absolutely charge. Extremely damp and a great stomping platform.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

eating up all the stoke. these are moving up the mount list. jumped my woodsmanses.

Also have the 186s mounted a -2cm and they feel great. Continually impressed with how good of the ski the they are. No idea why rossi doesn't make a ~105 underfoot one...

I’m also looking for a Whistler pow ski to complement my enforcer 104’s.

I ski 40+ days a season here, love me some peak and spankys laps, spend as much time in the tight steep trees as I can.

I’m looking for a versatile, fun ski for pure resort. Loads of friends loving their animas, but not sure if the 118 might suit me better. I like a mix of maneuverability and predictability. I like something that I can ski lazily sometimes but push other times.

30 years old, 5’9”, 165 lbs.. what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    I’m also looking for a Whistler pow ski to complement my enforcer 104’s.

I ski 40+ days a season here, love me some peak and spankys laps, spend as much time in the tight steep trees as I can.

I’m looking for a versatile, fun ski for pure resort. Loads of friends loving their animas, but not sure if the 118 might suit me better. I like a mix of maneuverability and predictability. I like something that I can ski lazily sometimes but push other times.

30 years old, 5’9”, 165 lbs.. what should I do?
    You would like them. They are an awesome whistler ski for someone your size.
    They are heavy but you can still ski them pretty lazy.

Animas are also way too pricey for what they are.

Day 2 on the Black Ops. Whistler got a few cm overnight so I was able to get them in up to around half a foot of fresh and a bunch of chop. I continue to be amazed by how stable they are while also being so easy to ski. You barely have to adjust your technique between skiing a groomer vs. pow vs. a big bowl of chop. Just tilt them on edge, let them run, and throw them sideways to scrub speed if/when needed. It helps to stay a bit more centered on the ski and pointed down the fall line when skiing through chop, but it's incredible how they seem to smooth out rough snow. Landing drops feels also less jarring compared with other skis I've been on - you're in the air, and then suddenly you're skiing again without having noticed an impact.

I feel like I should include some caveats along with the stoke, so I'll note that it did take a run or two to adjust to the swing weight, having started the day on tired legs. They also need a little speed to really shine, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend them if you ski a lot of trees, bumps or mellow terrain (e.g. they might not be my first choice for Whistler on a day when the alpine wasn't expected to open). And I'm on the smaller side (5'8, 165) so they might not have the same magical blend of stability and intuitiveness for someone larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Day 2 on the Black Ops. Whistler got a few cm overnight so I was able to get them in up to around half a foot of fresh and a bunch of chop. I continue to be amazed by how stable they are while also being so easy to ski. You barely have to adjust your technique between skiing a groomer vs. pow vs. a big bowl of chop. Just tilt them on edge, let them run, and throw them sideways to scrub speed if/when needed. It helps to stay a bit more centered on the ski and pointed down the fall line when skiing through chop, but it's incredible how they seem to smooth out rough snow. Landing drops feels also less jarring compared with other skis I've been on - you're in the air, and then suddenly you're skiing again without having noticed an impact.

I feel like I should include some caveats along with the stoke, so I'll note that it did take a run or two to adjust to the swing weight, having started the day on tired legs. They also need a little speed to really shine, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend them if you ski a lot of trees, bumps or mellow terrain (e.g. they might not be my first choice for Whistler on a day when the alpine wasn't expected to open). And I'm on the smaller side (5'8, 165) so they might not have the same magical blend of stability and intuitiveness for someone larger.
    What’s your BSL? Beers for demos?

Rossignol Black Ops?

Bamski FWIW my resort quiver is primarily the Enforcer 104 (185cm) and Black Ops 118 (186cm). I think they are perfect combo and love them both.

Agree with others the black ops love speed. The faster you go the more fun they are. I don’t find the weight an issue in PNW trees. As long as you are a relatively physically strong skier, you’ll be fine.

Only have ~5 days on mine so far. Never thought I’d find a ski I liked more than the OG Bibbys (before they went and made them light) but the black ops might be it.

I’m 30, 6” 165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    What’s your BSL? Beers for demos?
    285. And sure, if we’re both up on the same day you’d be welcome to take them for a couple of laps. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post

Only have ~5 days on mine so far. Never thought I’d find a ski I liked more than the OG Bibbys (before they went and made them light) but the black ops might be it.
    This makes me happy. My trusty old bibby's are getting retired. Black ops are sitting on my bench waiting for me to get around to mounting them (motivation is low since it apparently doesn't fucking snow here anymore).

I see you're at -2 on the black ops. Where were you on the bibby?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    This makes me happy. My trusty old bibby's are getting retired. Black ops are sitting on my bench waiting for me to get around to mounting them (motivation is low since it apparently doesn't fucking snow here anymore).

I see you're at -2 on the black ops. Where were you on the bibby?
    I was on the recommended line for the Bibby’s and I thought that was spot on. If I remember correctly the Bibby’s are -6cm and Black Ops are -2.2 so even -2cm from there is still -4.2.

Unless you spin a lot or ride switch I don’t see why you would want them at the line.

The review blister did on the ski is pretty spot on imho and they discuss mount point.

Right on, thanks. I'm mostly just back and forth on mounting at -2 (which plenty of people in here seem to like) and -3 (which is discussed a bit on the blister thread, and would be a bit closer to the bibby mount point).

I should probably stop over thinking this. -2.5 is the likely outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Right on, thanks. I'm mostly just back and forth on mounting at -2 (which plenty of people in here seem to like) and -3 (which is discussed a bit on the blister thread, and would be a bit closer to the bibby mount point).

I should probably stop over thinking this. -2.5 is the likely outcome.
    Measure out -5cm from true center and drill

There you go with your "logic" and "rational solutions."

Fuck that. I'm gonna spend another week fretting about a couple millimeters.

Ah makes sense on the -2 vs -3.

If you really drive your skis (racing background) I could see -3 making more sense.

But if you guess wrong you’ll probably hate skiing for the rest of your life.

Just spent five days on the Sender Squads skiing a range of variable conditions at Mammoth. Bomber sweet spot under foot, loving them. Easy to carve, smear or feather. Grippy on hard snow. All the weight feels consolidated under the middle two thirds of the ski. They weigh about the same maybe a touch lighter (~2430g) as the 192 Cochise 106s and 191 Katana 108s. Freakishly light swing weight feel but the tips are damp and hold up. At first it almost feels like they're not there but you get used to the feel. Tails strong and supportive but weren't punishing and easy to stay on top of. Grabbed them over the Katana 108s most mornings, was really digging on the different feel.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Just spent five days on the Sender Squads skiing a range of variable conditions at Mammoth. Bomber sweet spot under foot, loving them. Easy to carve, smear or feather. Grippy on hard snow. All the weight feels consolidated under the middle two thirds of the ski. They weigh about the same maybe a touch lighter (~2430g) as the 192 Cochise 106s and 191 Katana 108s. Freakishly light swing weight feel but the tips are damp and hold up. At first it almost feels like they're not there but you get used to the feel. Tails strong and supportive but weren't punishing and easy to stay on top of. Grabbed them over the Katana 108s most mornings, was really digging on the different feel.

They sound sick, you mount on the line or -2?

-2 line...Emailed w Rossi and they said the zero line is 88.9 cm from tail (about -8), so that put me at about -10.

That and the air tech shit in the tips/tails makes them feel relatively quick and responsive and they tracked really well for me, never really got knocked around. They don't ski long by any means.

looking at the sender TI as a 1 quiver Alta ski. Worried they'd be too narrow. how do they compare to the sender squad?

Currently on the 2020 super 7 HD in a 180 and loving the playfulness of those in basically all snow conditions, but they're pretty beat up after 1.5 seasons.

5 8, 140-145, my current super 7 is the shortest ski i've skied in several years

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    -2 line...Emailed w Rossi and they said the zero line is 88.9 cm from tail (about -8), so that put me at about -10.

That and the air tech shit in the tips/tails makes them feel relatively quick and responsive and they tracked really well for me, never really got knocked around. They don't ski long by any means.

Cool, the dimples on my pair are 90.5 from tail, you mind measuring yours too?
    I’ll probably start on the zero line and go back if I don’t like it. The low swingweight sounds fun for tricks

90.5!

I love my Wildcat 108s, but after skiing them back to back with the Black Ops over a couple of days, they might now be redundant. The Black Ops are more fun to carve (at any speed, but especially high speeds), way more stable, and just as loose/pivoty. The WC108s are lighter in the air and easier to throw around, but that's about the only attribute where they have the edge. This is sacrilegious, but I can imagine paring down the inbounds quiver to just the Black Ops, or Black Ops + a narrower ski that only comes out in very firm conditions.

Going against the grain here, well kind of. I caveat the following by stating I am no doubt a worse skier than most here.

I've skied the BO 118 for 4 days this year, and while I do like them, I don't love them... at least not yet. I still prefer my QST 106 for the majority of days at Whistler so far. I find I can drive the QST more through the shovels and get a bit lower, which in turn gives me confidence to ski harder (I mounted the Black Ops - 5.5). I can also make quick adjustments on the QST much easier as it is obviously lighter and quicker edge to edge. As a result I find moguls and troughts and other tight stuff easier on the qst too. I can also carve the qst better. Also for when I have to turn a lot on steeps or on rough snow with bad vis (Whistler bowl whiteout at 2pmish today) the qst is easier for me, again adjustments. The Black Ops is better for bulldozing through 3d snow, and for skiing switch.

I haven't got the Black Ops out in real pow yet, so maybe that will change things for me. However I'm not enjoying it enough to be an almost one ski quiver like Luke at Blister and many others.

Most of the above is probably just skier ability and possibly preference, and I may just need more time with it for it to click.

Quote Originally Posted by AintEZbeingSteezy View Post
    I've skied the BO 118 for 4 days this year, and while I do like them, I don't love them... at least not yet.
    I’ve skied the QST 106 a fair bit (at least the 19/20 version) and I agree with everything you said. I think it just comes down to the way you prefer to ski. Drive the shovels, carve more and make more turns = QST 106. Ski more centered, jump off stuff and make big turns through variable snow = Black Ops. They’re both great in pow, so I don’t know if that will end up swinging you more towards the Black Ops.