Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Shop buddy gave me some deets on the 191 free 110:

- Definitely a twintip like the BO118, not a sender
    - 141-111-134mm, 22M radius (He said they look a bit straighter than 22 in his opinion)
    - 189cm straight pull
    - Rec mount at -3.5 from tc, also a directional line for -2 from that.
    - 2360g +- 20g
    - Hand flex is even and quite stout, flex with more pop than the BO118 and Squad, similar to the old sickle he dared say.

These look pretty fucking awesome in my book. Smaller squad for those who want one in the 184 and a slightly more easy going squad in the big size for more playful skiing.

Now the question is where to mount hmm. -5cm from tc is the magic on the BO118 and sickle, could work out pretty good here aswell.
    Take

My

Money

In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Smaller squad for those who want one in the 184 and a slightly more easy going squad in the big size for more playful skiing
    yeah, these admittedly sound greater the more info is made avaliable. Perhaps I should have held on to my BO118 a bit longer.

bummed that straight tape pull is 2cm less. Makes sense though as thats how the BO 118 tapes. I was hoping for a mid 180s straight tape pull. 182 seems short and 189 probably too much for me. Sounds like a great ski though. Thanks for the deets Pretzel.

not sure I should post this by it self

182cm Black Ops 98/Holy Shred review

Skier

39 year Old
    5'9
    200lb
    Slowing down but formly chargy expert more technical and round than straight and slashly
    Stowe/Jay are home but travel around quebec and new england quite a bit

Mounted on the -3 directional line with P15s skiing on a franken Kr2 pro that probably flexes at 150-160 flex.

My goals with this ski was ski that could be skied in woods from pretty skied out to little bits of snow, or even lots of light snow but still shred groomers and be fun all around. I demoed this ski last spring during the ski essentials test and on that icey morning with some spring snow forming on low elevations I instantly feel in love with it.

RUBBER

So simple yet no idea why more ski makers do not use this wonderful stuff. This ski managed the be the dampest ski off the test, while still feeling like a light and lively all mountain twin. it held on icey groomers that day, and despite my best effort to ski into rocks my pair is still holding strong on most groomers. The ski like medium radius carves but on softer groomer can easily be coaxes into shorter carves in slush/wind buff or super soft groomer, and will easily do high angle as carved possible turns on groomer or mix condition. The sidecut does not really try to boss you around like say a Blade Optic can feel sometime. it is planted and stable and really is closer to say a M6 in how it skis a groomer than other twins on the market.

trees with light, varying amount of powder.

Really fun and easy to smear or make round turn. Smear better than expected for a ski with so little taper. In light powder its just sublime and while a bottom feeder is a smoother fun natural bottom feeder. In wet powder its get even better as the ski is stiff enough to resist over bending and sending across the hill, it reminds of a smaller ski version of another ski in my quiver in heavy powder which my 184cm OG Devastators.

Wind slab

the past weekend we had some really cold temps with high winds that shut lifts down for a couple days, after they open we had untracked wind buff and wind slab basically since saturday, and it works well in wind buff but the tail can feel grabby but doable in wind slab. Require more hopping that I would like, and I would prefer my Hoji, or Devastator in wind slab but neither of those skis are as grippy on packed/hardpack snow. I would even say the QST 98 is better in wind slab despite being softer simply due to its much more tapered shape.

Deep light Dry powder

I got caught with my pants down on recent quebec trip where I thought we would get like 6 inches of powder and ended up getting 16-20. This ski worked pretty well and if it wasnt the east with stumps, rocks and icey moguls lurking under the fresh snow I would have been entirely happy to bottom feed, but the ski will surf when up to speed it just can be hard to maintain that speed in eastern trees. I just prefer bigger more rockered ski because it means less hitting the undersnow and shit under the snow. but it was pretty fun.

Video of deep powder day

https://youtu.be/MHpPtGw-6FU?t=114

I felt undergunned but it was still worked as was fun. If I was out west I would be on a 192cm but the 182cm make way more sense in the east for my purposes.

Bumps - tails can feel slightly catchy in really troughed out tight bumps. in softer rounded bump they work great either skiing round, skiing zipper or doumbling. I still prefer a 88mm or narrow ski in most bumps.

True Ice - well they are not that good, but better than many other 100mm skis.

Durability - has been top notch. Bases are tough as all hell not get core shorts and my fat ass runs them over rocks. Edge have with stood little landing on to rocks and they are thick edge than on the more technical ski like an Enforcer, M6, Bonafide.

Overall its pretty good choice for eastern powder/soft snow days and works in pretty wide variety of snow.

Another clip on the BLOPS 98.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cnz3Ffhrri4/

I liked the 182 98s on edge but found they felt a bit unbalanced in soft or variable snow. Too much tail resulted in tails being hard to release but, at the same time, I had to back off the tips to get them to pivot. I mounted at -1 from recommended. Going back another 2 cm may have helped. They have a fairly traditional shape with a relatively small amount of rocker and taper, and the recommended mount point is definitely inspired by park skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post

Skier

39 year Old
    5'9
    200lb
    Slowing down but formly chargy expert more technical and round than straight and slashly

Mounted on the -3 directional line with P15s skiing on a franken Kr2 pro that probably flexes at 150-160 flex.

My goals with this ski was ski that could be skied in woods from pretty skied out to little bits of snow, or even lots of light snow but still shred groomers and be fun all around. I demoed this ski last spring during the ski essentials test and on that icey morning with some spring snow forming on low elevations I instantly feel in love with it.

RUBBER

So simple yet no idea why more ski makers do not use this wonderful stuff. This ski managed the be the dampest ski off the test, while still feeling like a light and lively all mountain twin. it held on icey groomers that day, and despite my best effort to ski into rocks my pair is still holding strong on most groomers. The ski like medium radius carves but on softer groomer can easily be coaxes into shorter carves in slush/wind buff or super soft groomer, and will easily do high angle as carved possible turns on groomer or mix condition. The sidecut does not really try to boss you around like say a Blade Optic can feel sometime. it is planted and stable and really is closer to say a M6 in how it skis a groomer than other twins on the market.

Really fun and easy to smear or make round turn. Smear better than expected for a ski with so little taper. In light powder its just sublime and while a bottom feeder is a smoother fun natural bottom feeder. In wet powder its get even better as the ski is stiff enough to resist over bending and sending across the hill, it reminds of a smaller ski version of another ski in my quiver in heavy powder which my 184cm OG Devastators.

Wind slab

the past weekend we had some really cold temps with high winds that shut lifts down for a couple days, after they open we had untracked wind buff and wind slab basically since saturday, and it works well in wind buff but the tail can feel grabby but doable in wind slab. Require more hopping that I would like, and I would prefer my Hoji, or Devastator in wind slab but neither of those skis are as grippy on packed/hardpack snow. I would even say the QST 98 is better in wind slab despite being softer simply due to its much more tapered shape.

Deep light Dry powder

I got caught with my pants down on recent quebec trip where I thought we would get like 6 inches of powder and ended up getting 16-20. This ski worked pretty well and if it wasnt the east with stumps, rocks and icey moguls lurking under the fresh snow I would have been entirely happy to bottom feed, but the ski will surf when up to speed it just can be hard to maintain that speed in eastern trees. I just prefer bigger more rockered ski because it means less hitting the undersnow and shit under the snow. but it was pretty fun.

Video of deep powder day

I felt undergunned but it was still worked as was fun. If I was out west I would be on a 192cm but the 182cm make way more sense in the east for my purposes.

Bumps - tails can feel slightly catchy in really troughed out tight bumps. in softer rounded bump they work great either skiing round, skiing zipper or doumbling. I still prefer a 88mm or narrow ski in most bumps.

Durability - has been top notch. Bases are tough as all hell not get core shorts and my fat ass runs them over rocks. Edge have with stood little landing on to rocks and they are thick edge than on the more technical ski like an Enforcer, M6, Bonafide.

Overall its pretty good choice for eastern powder/soft snow days and works in pretty wide variety of snow.

Looooooloooloool. Oh man i thought it was you. So bushwacka is atomicman is bushwackerinpa is josh. When you clowned me in the base bevel thread i suspected it was, but i deep dived and confirmed. We skied together the never ending winter at snowbird 2008. I saw you on the tram and more or less change for a nickled you. You posted photos of us on facebook. You're in blue and i'm in red. Well i must say you were better than me then as well haha. Hope you're well and nice review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	071FD09E-A57C-4724-8A28-3C5AB5BF3F43.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	446615

Name:	CDB2D3CF-4FA6-4745-9B3A-B487EFAB4743.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	446617

Name:	97C4AA73-46C4-4187-9B8B-D60E8DA13AD1.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	446618

Anyone on the black ops alpineer 96? Nice weight and price. Rocker profile and dims look versatile. I wonder if theyre construction has been beefed up similar to dynastar?

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by chewski View Post
    Looooooloooloool. Oh man i thought it was you. So bushwacka is atomicman is bushwackerinpa is josh. When you clowned me in the base bevel thread i suspected it was, but i deep dived and confirmed. We skied together the never ending winter at snowbird 2008. I saw you on the tram and more or less change for a nickled you. You posted photos of us on facebook. You're in blue and i'm in red. Well i must say you were better than me then as well haha. Hope you're well and nice review

Name:	071FD09E-A57C-4724-8A28-3C5AB5BF3F43.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	446615

Name:	CDB2D3CF-4FA6-4745-9B3A-B487EFAB4743.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	446617

Name:	97C4AA73-46C4-4187-9B8B-D60E8DA13AD1.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	446618
    Ha

Yeah Atomicman used to someone who posted bad takes on pugski/epic/TGR. So I used his alias to post stupidshit here but I got locked out on my main account so I just changed my name here I kept the metrons B5 because they are fucking funny. Your Kevin right?

You still rip, and can throw backies.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I liked the 182 98s on edge but found they felt a bit unbalanced in soft or variable snow. Too much tail resulted in tails being hard to release but, at the same time, I had to back off the tips to get them to pivot. I mounted at -1 from recommended. Going back another 2 cm may have helped. They have a fairly traditional shape with a relatively small amount of rocker and taper, and the recommended mount point is definitely inspired by park skis.
    yeah if anything I would maybe even try back -1 or 2 from that -1 line.

I dont really pivot much and I try to ski a round slow line fast, but I find them hard to pivot in some snow and pretty freaking easier in other snow. I do wonder if detuning would help when I do the edge on them for the first time.

Ha

Yeah Atomicman used to someone who posted bad takes on pugski/epic/TGR. So I used his alias to post stupidshit here but I got locked out on my main account so I just changed my name here I kept the metrons B5 because they are fucking funny. Your Kevin right?

You still rip, and can throw backies.
    Yup! Been a few years since i hit the park but dusted off some mute grabs last weekend

Yeah Atomicman used to someone who posted bad takes on pugski/epic/TGR. So I used his alias to post stupidshit here…
    Cool cool

Skier

39 year Old
    5'9
    200lb

RUBBER

Wind slab

Deep light Dry powder

Video of deep powder day

I had the Black Ops 98 192cm that I used it as a Jay Peak ski as well. Mine were mounted -1.5 from rec. These were gifted to me as the wife had shop connections and got them very cheap. Not a ski I would ever seek out. You're right though about the rubber layering in the tips and tails. Not sure why more companies don't follow suit. Made the skis as quiet as a Stockli. They were pretty fun for awhile. Very versatile. Always heard Rossi's are disposable, especially the made in Spain ones. Mine felt like they lost it after a few seasons. The yellow tooth leopard graphic was pretty nasty!

Rossignol Black Ops?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Take

My

Money

Hmm new Senders frick…just made a complete mid season overhaul on my quiv … went a season without BO118’s in the quiv last season trying other stuff. Fixed that.
    Actually loved skiing my 23’s on the recco today. Need to climb on a pair mounted back a few. My fourth pair since their inception. Heavy buggers. Older I get the heavier they feel. Fun to ski pain in the butt to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Crystal Skier; 02-09-2023 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Finally heard from some people on Newschoolers with their hands on the Sender Free 110 and they said the weight was 2200gr on the 184cm and 2350gr on the 191cm which is around where I was guessing.

Out on my new to me 186cm Blackops 118 mounted -2.5cm behind rec(-5cm total) today in some heavy 6” of fresh that tracked out quickly. Felt instantly comfortable on them and have a very similar, carvy feel to all my 21 CT skis. Didn’t find they skied heavy at all. Not enough coverage in the East yet to try glades out but skied some soft bumps and felt good there. Seem very versatile and anxious to get on them again.
    late comer to the conversation and am interested at some point trying -5 total.
    Picked up another pair finally. Fairly certain that if anybody is tuning /wondering that edge bevels are 1 base and 2 side. Read another dudes came base high a bit. Mine as well but they still skied fine. I’m old and persnickety enuf to flatten them though first opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Skier View Post
    late comer to the conversation and am interested at some point trying -5 total.
    Picked up another pair finally. Fairly certain that if anybody is tuning /wondering that edge bevels are 1 base and 2 side. Read another dudes came base high a bit. Mine as well but they still skied fine. I’m old and persnickety enuf to flatten them though first opportunity.

Had my pair of BO 118 again along with my 184cm and 190cm 21 CT 3.0 and 21 190cm Wildcats for comparison.

Again the BO 118 feels like a heavier, slightly wider and more damp version of the 184cm CT 3.0 with softer tips/tails that suck up variable better. Hard to believe they are that much heavier (2200gr Vs 2480gr) as their swing weight is low with the lighter tips/tails and a bit more forward mount even at -2.5cm(-5cm from Center Vs -6.5cm).

Still like the -2.5cm mount and could see going -3cm for a bit more float and stability. Pivot and initiate turns easily even at the current mount. Very good edge grip and great carvers.
    Don’t think I’d go closer than -2cm unless you’re upsizing on the 186cm or ski switch a lot.

Tune is perfect now but mine definitely would have been awful to ski from the factory. Mine were very base high and bevels all over the place. Emailed both the Canadian and Main Rossignol sites to complain about how bad they were(which I’ve never done before on any ski) and didn’t hear back from either.
    Rossignol Hero race skis are .5/3, rentals are 1/1, the rest are 1/2 bevels from the factory.
    I’ve got mine at 1/3 for more bite but they pivot easily and only grip when I want now after the grind and retune.

Think even more now that the Sender Free 110 will have a very similar feel to those 21 CT 3.0 so it will be an easy switch when those get worn out.

Posted this in the 23/24 thread too-Sender Free 110 starting to show up in stores now.

https://www.powder7.com/Rossignol-Se...-Skis/for-sale

Been Seeing Sender Free 110 marketing pop up all over. After reading up on the tech in the ski, it really looks like the love-child of the Sender Squad and Soul 7. Change my mind.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

If the sender free 110 intrigues you, check out the Heritage Lab FR110.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    If the sender free 110 intrigues you, check out the Heritage Lab FR110.

I'm very interested in the Sender but 0% interested in the FR110. I don't really like zero camber skis and the Sickle is not something I'm looking for. Now the FR105, that's speaking my love language.

As for the Sender, reading their ad copy for it makes me want to puke. How many "technologies" can you pack into a ski? The early reviews are what make me want to try it even if the Rossi speak turns me off.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I'm very interested in the Sender but 0% interested in the FR110. I don't really like zero camber skis and the Sickle is not something I'm looking for. Now the FR105, that's speaking my love language.

As for the Sender, reading their ad copy for it makes me want to puke. How many "technologies" can you pack into a ski? The early reviews are what make me want to try it even if the Rossi speak turns me off.
    Understandable. Their market speak os pretty hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Understandable. Their market speak os pretty hilarious.

I guess I shouldn't say 0% because I love what Marshall is doing and want to support him. Will definitely be watching the reviews on it, just like I am on the R99 (thanks for your input!) and the FR/C113.

Skied the new 191 SF110 today mounted -1.5 from rec (Everyone except jib kids should go -2 btw)
    I dont want to rain on it too much since it’s a good ski, but damn another fucking ski ruined by carbon, fuck. I was so excited for this one too.

It’s damp, it holds and edge really well, but that amazing rubber ball feel of the sender squad and the BO118 is gone. It’s shaped like the blackops, but skis much more like a sender ti. The tail is no joke too. I should’ve known after Luke wasnt raving about it in the blister first look.

If you’re looking at the 191, just get the squad while they still make it, heard it’s gone next year. The 184 might be cool as a shorter squad’ish ski.

Skied the new 191 SF110 today mounted -1.5 from rec (Everyone except jib kids should go -2 btw)
    I dont want to rain on it too much since it’s a good ski, but damn another fucking ski ruined by carbon, fuck. I was so excited for this one too.

It’s damp, it holds and edge really well, but that amazing rubber ball feel of the sender squad and the BO118 is gone. It’s shaped like the blackops, but skis much more like a sender ti. The tail is no joke too. I should’ve known after Luke wasnt raving about it in the blister first look.

If you’re looking at the 191, just get the squad while they still make it, heard it’s gone next year. The 184 might be cool as a shorter squad’ish ski.
    I know a guy who can hook you up with squads

Have 3 pairs of 184cm SF110's in my shop if any mags are interested at a 10% discount!

Doesn’t surprise me at all. Rossi is great at killing good skis. They have the tech to build a really good ski but seem obsessed with carbon and air tip bs. Doesn’t surprise me that sender squad is being discontinued. Can’t imagine they sold many. If they would’ve made a 187 it would’ve been more popular. Who ever runs their department that names skis and comes up with the copy content bs is the worst. At least Marshal is building a good “Rossi” ski with his new 110 as Rossi seems incapable