Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I saw one comment about how they ski at -5. Anyone else ski them at/around that and have input?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Any info on how these are at 98? feel like I don't need another 116 range ski

Quote Originally Posted by sheel44 View Post
    Any info on how these are at 98? feel like I don't need another 116 range ski
    The Black Ops 98 is a heavily cambered symmetrical all mountain park ski. Very different than just a scaled down 116, which is really too bad.

Damn, I was thinking if the 98s were skinnier versions they'd be perfect for me. Thanks for the info

Skis

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJR View Post
    I have a set at 176 cm i'd part with. just out of the package and skied 2 runs/ not my style. mounted for look pivots at 315 bsl on the dot. $300 for local pick up in the Denver area.
    Do you happen to still have these? I'm in Denver and looking for a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny86 View Post
    Do you happen to still have these? I'm in Denver and looking for a pair.
    I've seen 2 pair of these in JH this summer. On sale for 40% off. Call Hoback sports or Teton Village sports or the Bridger Center to pinpoint them. Can't be sure of length.

I'm outta town or I'd go look for ya.

I'm looking for a stable PNW pow ski that can ski hard, blast chop, be driven forward stance when needed, while also being good skiing switch and landings.

While the Black Ops 118 seems to tick all of those boxes, I also don't want a ski that's very demanding in tight terrain, especially as this is an area where my technique defs has room to improve.

I am just wondering how people who have skied it have found it, specifically the weight and if/ how severely that affects maneuverability in trees, tight terrain etc?

Any info appreciated

I think all in all its still a pretty easy ski in tight stuff. There are certainly quicker and easier options out there but for all the stuff your looking for in your first sentence the black ops is great. It's only a 186 and skis shorter due to rocker profile. Tails arent super stiff or flat so you can get backseat if needed and not get punished. I'm 5'9 135lb and have no issues throwing it around in the pine/spruce forest (ie tight trees) and techy alpine here in the Canadian Purcells.

Awesome, thanks for the info dude, that's great to hear. Really wasn't sure about the weight as I haven't skied anything that heavy, but I'm 5 "10 175lbs so should be all good in that case.

Very easy to ski in tight spots even with the weight. Ive got a few different pow skis but keep coming back to these. Very stable in the chop and float well. I've got mine mounted at rec but if you want to drive them consider going -1.

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    Very easy to ski in tight spots even with the weight. Ive got a few different pow skis but keep coming back to these. Very stable in the chop and float well. I've got mine mounted at rec but if you want to drive them consider going -1.
    Agree with all that. They are the most fun ski I have for chop. I mounted back of rec and they still ski switch pow great.

I went to check these out in store today (now called the BlackOps "Gamer"; Rossignol's naming convention for the BlackOps series is incredibly lame, but I digress) and they were 25% off, which I interpreted as a clear sign and bought them immediately.

2530g/ski in the 186cm length according to the kitchen scale. On paper these look like the perfect Whistler chop destroyers. I'm planning to mount at -2.5cm since I'm a mostly directional skier who still likes jumping off of stuff and occasionally trying to spin.

Any mount point feedback/general stoke from others who have tried these?

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    I went to check these out in store today (now called the BlackOps "Gamer"; Rossignol's naming convention for the BlackOps series is incredibly lame, but I digress) and they were 25% off, which I interpreted as a clear sign and bought them immediately.

2530g/ski in the 186cm length according to the kitchen scale. On paper these look like the perfect Whistler chop destroyers. I'm planning to mount at -2.5cm since I'm a mostly directional skier who still likes jumping off of stuff and occasionally trying to spin.

Any mount point feedback/general stoke from others who have tried these?
    Go -2cm from recommended. This skis is awesome for Whis if it is long enough for you.

I so wish they made a 191...

you probably already know this, but Blister has a fair amount of commentary on mount point. I'm going to mount mine with a demo binding so i can play with mp, fwiw.

What's the word on the sender squad ti?

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    What's the word on the sender squad ti?
    Skibrd has a pair and doesn't seem to be a fan and bry has a pair, but I don't think he has skied it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Go -2cm from recommended. This skis is awesome for Whis if it is long enough for you.

I so wish they made a 191...
    Thanks. I’m about 5’8”, 165 lbs so it should be long enough. Most of my other skis are in the 180-185 range, but it sounds like the Black Ops is pretty loose and maneuverable for its size.

Skibrd has a pair and doesn't seem to be a fan and bry has a pair, but I don't think he has skied it yet.
    They are alright, off to Levenworth they will go.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    They are alright, off to Levenworth they will go.

Maybe, but would to hear some comparisons or what not about them before I commit to another 11x underfoot directional charger.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Maybe, but would to hear some comparisons or what not about them before I commit to another 11x underfoot directional charger.
    The few times I’ve grabbed them I wished I had grabbed a different pair of skis, either something narrower like my MX 98s, or fatter like my BMX 115, JJs, Shiros, or Chipotle Bananas.

They are a good ski, I have always preferred skis under 100mm or over 115mm.

I've been going back and forth between a Jeffery 116 and Billy Goat for a while. Don't want to give up the playfulness of the Jeffery but want the crud busting ability of the Billy Goat. Maybe this is the answer? Has anyone skis the J116 or BG and the Back Ops and has a comparison? My current skis are 190+ but I like the idea of a super beefy ski that can be skied shorter for tight trees yet still smash crud.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I've been going back and forth between a Jeffery 116 and Billy Goat for a while. Don't want to give up the playfulness of the Jeffery but want the crud busting ability of the Billy Goat. Maybe this is the answer? Has anyone skis the J116 or BG and the Back Ops and has a comparison? My current skis are 190+ but I like the idea of a super beefy ski that can be skied shorter for tight trees yet still smash crud.
    Can't speak to the black ops, but it kinda sounds like you want an M-free 118.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Mounted my 186 Black Ops at -2cm and took them for a spin at Whistler today. Conditions were firm but edgeable with some nice grippy chalk in the alpine. I hate to draw any conclusions based on a single day but these skis are fucking incredible. So damp and stable. They seem to smooth out inconsistencies in the snow, so you don't realize how fast you're going - this caught me off guard a couple of times when I forgot to scrub speed before takeoffs and got more air than expected. (Fortunately they are also a super solid platform for landings.) Stand on the middle of them and you can easily pivot through bumps with some input, but lay them over on edge with a bit of speed and they carve far better than a 118 should. So damn fun. I hit 103 km/hr (according to my watch, so grain of salt) and didn't feel like I even sniffed their speed limit. They're like the ski version of Bowser on Super Mario Kart.

Granted, the forgiving snow conditions were probably a factor today, but very stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Mounted my 186 Black Ops at -2cm and took them for a spin at Whistler today. Conditions were firm but edgeable with some nice grippy chalk in the alpine. I hate to draw any conclusions based on a single day but these skis are fucking incredible. So damp and stable. They seem to smooth out inconsistencies in the snow, so you don't realize how fast you're going - this caught me off guard a couple of times when I forgot to scrub speed before takeoffs and got more air than expected. (Fortunately they are also a super solid platform for landings.) Stand on the middle of them and you can easily pivot through bumps with some input, but lay them over on edge with a bit of speed and they carve far better than a 118 should. So damn fun. I hit 103 km/hr (according to my watch, so grain of salt) and didn't feel like I even sniffed their speed limit. They're like the ski version of Bowser on Super Mario Kart.

Granted, the forgiving snow conditions were probably a factor today, but very stoked.
    Where the heck did you find this forgiving snow. Spanky’s was facked

Where the heck did you find this forgiving snow. Spanky’s was facked
    Peak and Harmony skied great today. Didn't really find any soft snow, but lots of smooth chalky goodness on shale slope, the horseshoes, etc. Even Whistler bowl was smoothed out enough that you could carve GS turns straight down the middle. But maybe the skis made conditions feel more giving than they actually were?