Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    book 4 nights at the Enchantment 5th is free. Hard to pass that up.
    off your knees Louie

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    book 4 nights at the Enchantment 5th is free. Hard to pass that up.
    That's where we stayed in 2014. Place is dank.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    That's where we stayed in 2014. Place is dank.
    And expensive.

Sedona has great riding if you like up and down, techy XC riding. It doesn't have big descents or elevation changes.

The town is weird, for sure but that's in a way what makes it unique and interesting from than say, Moab or Bellingham. I'm not a woo woo either but I'm ok with em being there. It can make for some good people watching no doubt.

The place is a zoo right now being their peak spring break month. Be ready for traffic. I live 35 minutes from Sedona and I won't go near that place right now!
    Last edited by raisingarizona13; 04-05-2021 at 01:46 PM.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Just got back and can confirm on the traffic and shitshow right now. Took us an hour to go about 5 miles heading north into town on Saturday afternoon after a ride. Easter weekend and Spring Break was a terrible idea.

We stayed in Oak Creek last week and a normally 15 min drive to Sedona TH's was 45 min mid week. Tons of hikers near TH's but surprisingly few bikes and few people once you get away from the TH's. Still always managed to find a parking spot and trails are super fun if you like desert techy riding.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Hmmm. I know I am riding Thurs and Friday in Moab. Maybe make more sense to head over to St. George after instead? Would make the drive back to MT easier too.

Hmmm. I know I am riding Thurs and Friday in Moab. Maybe make more sense to head over to St. George after instead? Would make the drive back to MT easier too.
    This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but if you've already been to Moab I'd skip it and head straight to St. George. The whole Saint George/Hurricane/Virgin/Brianhead/Cedar City area has way better riding overall than Moab imho. There's a bit of everything in that region.

Brianhead is my most favorite place to ride these days but it's going to still be under snow for now.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but if you've already been to Moab I'd skip it and head straight to St. George. The whole Saint George/Hurricane/Virgin/Brianhead/Cedar City area has way better riding overall than Moab imho. There's a bit of everything in that region.

Brianhead is my most favorite place to ride these days but it's going to still be under snow for now.
    Meeting a buddy down there and shuttling Mag 7 and Porc. Trying to get some vert in and start to get my head in the game for a race first week of May. Can't really do much riding around here right now.

I will probably spend 3 days in St. George area after Moab. Reccos on rides there? Looks like the whole Gooseberry area, specifically Secret Trail is must do. What else?

I haven't actually ridden around St. George but the Zen Trail has good reviews and has caught my eye, I hear the Scout Trails are pretty fun too. Gooseberry is the obvious first choice for the three or four mesa's around there but Grafton and Guac are both supposed to be really cool as well. If you want a rowdy descent then don't miss Flying Monkey and Paradise DH. Talk to some shop guys for directions to Paradise DH, it's not on trailforks.

Up at Cedar City you can do a big shuttle ride that should be mostly dry right now. C Trail > Highlands > Green Hollow > Boulder Dash > Lava Flow > Turnpike > Elevate > Black Ops > Turnpike to the parking area. I think you can get around 3k of descending on that link up with a little bit of climbing. The shuttle road is around 2k of vert.

Blow Hard is just up the hill from Cedar City towards Brianhead and it's one of my most favorite trails anywhere. It's something around 3700 vertical feet of drop in like 6 miles. It's rowdy but most likely still under snow, maybe ask around. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and I'm wrong about the snow.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I haven't actually ridden around St. George but the Zen Trail has good reviews and has caught my eye, I hear the Scout Trails are pretty fun too. Gooseberry is the obvious first choice for the three or four mesa's around there but Grafton and Guac are both supposed to be really cool as well. If you want a rowdy descent then don't miss Flying Monkey and Paradise DH. Talk to some shop guys for directions to Paradise DH, it's not on trailforks.

Up at Cedar City you can do a big shuttle ride that should be mostly dry right now. C Trail > Highlands > Green Hollow > Boulder Dash > Lava Flow > Turnpike > Elevate > Black Ops > Turnpike to the parking area. I think you can get around 3k of descending on that link up with a little bit of climbing. The shuttle road is around 2k of vert.

Blow Hard is just up the hill from Cedar City towards Brianhead and it's one of my most favorite trails anywhere. It's something around 3700 vertical feet of drop in like 6 miles. It's rowdy but most likely still under snow, maybe ask around. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and I'm wrong about the snow.
    Sick thanks.

Talk to some shop guys for directions to Paradise DH, it's not on trailforks.
    Assuming we're talking about Paradise Rim, it's definitely on TF (https://www.trailforks.com/trails/paradise-rim/). Short, but a super fun trail. Up Turtle/down Paradise is about as good as it gets for a 2-mile loop. Just lap it a few times. I thought the Scout Trails sucked. Grafton DH is great, easy to loop it via the road. No list of StG of trail recs is complete without Barrel (which is different than Barrel Roll). Barrel's my favorite trail in the area. AMA is another good one; unsanctioned and not on TF, but easy to figure out the location on the interwebz.

UDOT road cams show lots of snow up on the Brianhead plateau. Blowhard will be a while still.

eta: Barrel and AMA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Yr88BArlM
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-06-2021 at 02:07 PM.

I’d say just go to GJ from Moab. Lunch Loops have decent vert and lots of chunky goods.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I’d say just go to GJ from Moab. Lunch Loops have decent vert and lots of chunky goods.
    GJ is not on the way back to MT, but certainly far less out of the way than Sedona or StG. Another good "on the way back to MT from Moab" locale would be Richfield. Seriously. I haven't been myself yet but I've heard it's really good and you could definitely put in some solid vert: https://www.trailforks.com/region/pa...-system-37072/

@whiteroom:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...orge-questions

Hurricane Rim Imba epic is a nice day on the bike. Guacamole is fun, a big day could also include gooseberry/wire together as one ride, or if you wanted to do something dumb, park around the grafton DH finish, ride up the gross steep fire road, ride a wire loop, then pedal over to grafton DH to the car. I would also recommend leaving to head back N early in the AM, stop in Cedar for a quick spin on Lichen It/Lava Flow, and take a detour to Richfield to ride the Pahvant Trails. Both are short loops, but good riding. (Dan beat me to this, can also hit on the way back from STG.)

Tacos at Rio Sonora in Orem, or Los Panchos in Fillmore, or any of the SLC haunts in the SLC food thread on your way home.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Go check out the Pahvant network in Richfield, UT after Moab. It is awesome, and easy access to I-15 afterwards to head home.

If the Pahvant network was in Moab, it would be one of the most popular zones there.

Meeting a buddy down there and shuttling Mag 7 and Porc. Trying to get some vert in and start to get my head in the game for a race first week of May. Can't really do much riding around here right now.

I will probably spend 3 days in St. George area after Moab. Reccos on rides there? Looks like the whole Gooseberry area, specifically Secret Trail is must do. What else?
    I'll second the lunch loops etc around junction. great way to get tech in, then go ride the road up to ribbon if it's good and it'll be just like race day... lol. Just know where you're going on that first huge slab.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    go ride the road up to ribbon

Gonna jump in here since I'm heading to sedona next week. Never been. Guessing we'll be part of the shitshow, or might midweek be not so bad? Probably gonna ride that hiline ride suggested earlier in the thread and probably some mellow stuff with the lady and the kid, any other suggestions for a 3ish hour must ride or something in flagstaff? Could also use suggestions for hikes (particularly for the fam while I'm riding) and other stuff to do. Any swimming that's not freezing? Do the previously mentioned camping spots work for tents, or is there somewhere better? Free is best, but would consider paying if it's worth it for location or nice showers. Lastly, anyone done any of the canyoneering tours in the area? Seems like it could be a fun family adventure, but doing just a quick search it looks pretty pricey. Open to any recommendations between sedona and moab.
    Oh, and yay or nay on vermillion cliffs on the way to moab. Done zion area, any other must stops in between?

Left StG this morning and currently at Horsethief in Moab. While in StG we rode Zen and Barrel a few times, Church Rocks, and spent a day on Gooseberry Mesa. Zen/Green Hills has more variety, Church Rocks is faster and flowy, and Gooseberry had short techy up and down. Ride N and S rims and a buddy went over the edge on Secret Trail (landed on a ledge below) which was enough to remind all of us of our mortality.

Feel free to pm me if you want any more details on any of those rides.

Rode Nav rocks today. Looking at slick rock tomorrow, current plan for us is porc rim on Thursday and Cap Ahab for Friday before (also) heading back to Montana.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Gonna jump in here since I'm heading to sedona next week. Never been. Guessing we'll be part of the shitshow, or might midweek be not so bad? Probably gonna ride that hiline ride suggested earlier in the thread and probably some mellow stuff with the lady and the kid, any other suggestions for a 3ish hour must ride or something in flagstaff? Could also use suggestions for hikes (particularly for the fam while I'm riding) and other stuff to do. Any swimming that's not freezing? Do the previously mentioned camping spots work for tents, or is there somewhere better? Free is best, but would consider paying if it's worth it for location or nice showers. Lastly, anyone done any of the canyoneering tours in the area? Seems like it could be a fun family adventure, but doing just a quick search it looks pretty pricey. Open to any recommendations between sedona and moab.
    Oh, and yay or nay on vermillion cliffs on the way to moab. Done zion area, any other must stops in between?
    Was in Sedona with the family last spring and absolutely loved it. Some of my favorite rides included Mezcal, Slim Shady (mellow riding and hiking for kids across the road near bell rock), stuff around and including Ground Control... Feel free to pm if you have any further questions. Lots to do. Very cool town and outdoor options.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

there is a lifetime of stuff between Sedona and Moab would help if you said how much time you have and what route you plan to drive.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    there is a lifetime of stuff between Sedona and Moab would help if you said how much time you have and what route you plan to drive.
    Yeah, I'm sure I could easily spend a few weeks out there, but this trip is maxing out at 10 days, including driving to/from Tahoe. A day at Grand Canyon, 2-3 days Sedona/Flagstaff, 2-3 days Moab. We aren't big planners, just trying to figure out the best stuff while making best use of our time - would rather several quick hits over a couple long adventures, and minimal detours unless it's totally worth it.

Yeah, I'm sure I could easily spend a few weeks out there, but this trip is maxing out at 10 days, including driving to/from Tahoe. A day at Grand Canyon, 2-3 days Sedona/Flagstaff, 2-3 days Moab. We aren't big planners, just trying to figure out the best stuff while making best use of our time - would rather several quick hits over a couple long adventures, and minimal detours unless it's totally worth it.
    ok you were talking zion which would add an extra day at least. Since 160 to 191 is the fastest I would go that way. Recommendation would be head slightly west out of Bluff to Butler Wash. Take this north along Comb Ridge. There are a bunch of short hikes to Indian ruins that you can do off that road. Drive that road north till you hit 95 than head over to Blanding. If you have had enough driving there is plenty of dispersed camping along Butler Wash road. The road when dry is no problem with 2 wheel drive with some clearance. If you want to push on to Moab grab dinner in Monticello than stay at Windwhistle campground it is about 45 minutes south of Moab. I have never seen it full but that is off season. Will save you getting to Moab trying to find camping at night. If Wind whistle is full you can camp off that road. Than if you want to drive more go out to Needles Overlook or Hatch Point (Anticline Overlook) these views really help tie the place together.
    off your knees Louie

Mag7 and Porc are probably the best two bang-for-buck rides in Moab. The other must do if you have an extra day is Ahab and then another climb up Hymasa to Rockstacker and Jacksons.

Lots of other stuff there, you wouldn't do bad to stick around or head to Fruita/GJ.

For St George/Hurricane Gooseberry, Little Creek and the JEM system were always the 3 go-to's. We used to do two of those each trip and explore something else the 3rd day. JEM system used to be mainly a loop JEM-Hurricane Rim-Gould's but it has been built out a ton so now there are endless loop options. It's still fun but if I had 3 days and couldn't get back there any time soon I'd do Gooseberry, Little Creek and split a day between Guacamole and Grafton. Goose is the classic mesa, and flows best IMO. Little Creek is rougher, harder to follow and seems less ridden and more techy. Guac is flows more similar to Gooseberry but is just different and fun.

Since you mentioned Secret trail, I'd caution on that one esp. if you aren't in prime riding shape. I'd do the other sections first, CCW from the main lot - Practice, Bowls & Ledges, N Rim, Yellow, the Point, South Rim, and then take Hidden or continue on South Rim. I love Secret, but it's a long trail with minimal bailout option and it can be a bit of a beat down if you're already tired or are not in shape. It doesn't flow as well as the other trails and sees less traffic so it has more of a raw feel to it. A lot of people I've taken on it have not enjoyed it by the time we've ridden the rest of that loop. If you want to ride Secret, breaking Gooseberry into two rides isn't a bad idea especially since it's hard to fit Hidden, all of South Rim and Secret into one loop along with the other stuff. Regardless I'd ride the outer loop first. Hidden is fun either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Mag7 and Porc are probably the best two bang-for-buck rides in Moab. The other must do if you have an extra day is Ahab and then another climb up Hymasa to Rockstacker and Jacksons.

Lots of other stuff there, you wouldn't do bad to stick around or head to Fruita/GJ.

For St George/Hurricane Gooseberry, Little Creek and the JEM system were always the 3 go-to's. We used to do two of those each trip and explore something else the 3rd day. JEM system used to be mainly a loop JEM-Hurricane Rim-Gould's but it has been built out a ton so now there are endless loop options. It's still fun but if I had 3 days and couldn't get back there any time soon I'd do Gooseberry, Little Creek and split a day between Guacamole and Grafton. Goose is the classic mesa, and flows best IMO. Little Creek is rougher, harder to follow and seems less ridden and more techy. Guac is flows more similar to Gooseberry but is just different and fun.

Since you mentioned Secret trail, I'd caution on that one esp. if you aren't in prime riding shape. I'd do the other sections first, CCW from the main lot - Practice, Bowls & Ledges, N Rim, Yellow, the Point, South Rim, and then take Hidden or continue on South Rim. I love Secret, but it's a long trail with minimal bailout option and it can be a bit of a beat down if you're already tired or are not in shape. It doesn't flow as well as the other trails and sees less traffic so it has more of a raw feel to it. A lot of people I've taken on it have not enjoyed it by the time we've ridden the rest of that loop. If you want to ride Secret, breaking Gooseberry into two rides isn't a bad idea especially since it's hard to fit Hidden, all of South Rim and Secret into one loop along with the other stuff. Regardless I'd ride the outer loop first. Hidden is fun either direction.
    Good info thanks. Did ahab hymasa Jackson's last fall. Jackson's is fucking gnar.

Today will be my first time doing portal and then second porc ride tomorrow with a buddy. Then jetting over to St.George and hoping to find a decent camp spot in the dark on a Friday night.

N. Klon pretty much totally full last night but I found one of the last spots.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk