Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Gonna test my luck at the Bird tomorrow, anyone endure the zoo this weekend?
    Skied a couple runs midday yesterday and about 3 hours today. Liftline was long yesterday but only 5-10 minutes today. Was getting good and soft this afternoon, hopefully they can get a little more open in the next couple days.

Not sure I'll make it up tomorrow, but maybe tues am.

Last edited by byates1; 11-28-2016 at 12:42 AM. Reason: dangleberry got my attention for a sec

Another 20" since this video from yesterday

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EgGmXaI-H50

Quick question on Brighton's uphill policy.

Before hours (lets say 6AM) if the light is green, does that mean Brighton has completed its avalanche work for the day in that area? Is the only reason the light would be red because they are planning to do avalanche work/are actively doing avalanche work - or would the light be red when conditions are dangerous and they don't want an inbounds avalanche on their hands?

Just trying to predict when to plan on GW laps on storm days before lifts are running, etc.

Maybe some others can chime in with more info. Based on my experience last season, I think the light goes red when they are doing control work (or about to do control work), not as a preventative measure against accidents. I cannot recall any day after their closing when the light was red, even when avy danger was pronounced.

FWIW, the great western part of brighton was being groomed by about 8:30-8:45. Would have been powderier to have been about an hour earlier.

Looks like storm totals in the 40" range in LCC...

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    Quick question on Brighton's uphill policy.

Before hours (lets say 6AM) if the light is green, does that mean Brighton has completed its avalanche work for the day in that area? Is the only reason the light would be red because they are planning to do avalanche work/are actively doing avalanche work - or would the light be red when conditions are dangerous and they don't want an inbounds avalanche on their hands?

Just trying to predict when to plan on GW laps on storm days before lifts are running, etc.
    I don't see how it's possible for a ski area to have completed control work on a snow morning in the dark.

New procedures for backcountry restrictions during UDOT control work above the highway in Little Cottonwood this winter. Link here: https://utahavalanchecenter.org/blog/28265

Morning on Gadzoom, Lunch at the Tram Club, Afternoon in the hot tub on the roof of the Cliff. Shoulda been skiing, but I heard they closed early for avy danger anyways.

White Pine was nice today. Still a bit thin. CT5 at 50cm new snow/old snow interface. Q1. ECTN. 9200' ENE facing. 5 cms of damp basals, couldn't get much reliable data near the ground because the willows were growing into it and we couldn't really isolate the column to the ground. Everything was stacked upright with the exception of the basals. Hasty at 8600 W facing had a bit of a more dense layer mid snowpack. Alta gun crew said they didn't have much movement shooting Baldy other than a small wind pocket.

Had a fun couple laps off Gadzoom yesterday on the slowboard. Filling it nicely up there... hoping I can time the conference calls tomorrow to get up on the tram when it opens!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Got a few turns up milli today. Nice to get away from work for a few hours. Anyone hitting soli on Friday for opening day? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they open summit.

Less activity than I was expecting with in the storm snow. Only saw a few possible pockets pull out. Still would not go anywhere near a steep north aspect. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (13).jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	938.8 KB 
ID:	193860
    Last edited by tyfalk; 11-29-2016 at 08:10 PM.
    "Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

UDOT Avalanche Artillery Site In. Intermittent Closures BCC Highway SR190 Stairs Gulch area 11/30/2016 9-10am.UDOT Broads Fork and Stairs Gulch backcountry areas CLOSED 8pm 11/29/2016. Estimated open 10 am 11/30/2016. Please stay clear of area and stay safe out there. Wasatch Winter Has Arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Had a fun couple laps off Gadzoom yesterday on the slowboard. Filling it nicely up there... hoping I can time the conference calls tomorrow to get up on the tram when it opens!
    Holler if you see me in the tram line. Blue flylow jacket, dark green pants. Probably skiing on bodaciouses.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Holler if you see me in the tram line. Blue flylow jacket, dark green pants. Probably skiing on bodaciouses.
    You weren't the stay at home dad I met on Gadzoom monday, were you? I had the funky yellow snowboard. Anyways, my ride bailed so I'm high and dry in the valley til my wife gets back from JH. Likely clearly work off my plate so we can get out and enjoy Friday.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    You weren't the stay at home dad I met on Gadzoom monday, were you? I had the funky yellow snowboard. Anyways, my ride bailed so I'm high and dry in the valley til my wife gets back from JH. Likely clearly work off my plate so we can get out and enjoy Friday.
    Nope wasn't me. Depending on where in the valley you live I'm always up for a carpool in the future.

Not sure if this is news to you guys or not...

UDOT to close Little Cottonwood Canyon backcountry on powder days
    http://www.utahoutside.com/2016/11/u...n-powder-days/

“I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Haha nice.

A bit of a sun crust on W aspects this PM.

Anyone want to do a dawn patrol tomorrow? (beartrap, USA, etc) Usual people can't go and I'm itching to ski.

we're meeting in the GMD at 9 if that counts!

No compromise...bitches!!!