Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    but seriously, wtf? I was there, I could have stayed, I was looking at the forecasts every 10 minutes, they said it was over, blue sky was breaking through, and so I flew home. And less than 24 hours later there's 30 more inches of new snow. I demand to speak to whoever's in charge, this is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    holy crap today was all time! I know folks have had too many snorkel days to count. But for this east coast transplant, this was exactly why I moved here. The Bird offered everything and saved Mineral Basin till nearly noon. Low vis kept the majority of folks out of there so it was get it while it's hot for about two hours. I'm smoked. Never even snapped a picture...
    My first run off the tram was as good as it gets. Holy fuck. Had me whooping as I unstrapped at the bottom, hugging friends, and making snow angels. This is a pretty good picture and doesn't begin to do justice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeR.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	826.4 KB 
ID:	196397

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    My first run off the tram was as good as it gets. Holy fuck. Had me whooping as I unstrapped at the bottom, hugging friends, and making snow angels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeR.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	826.4 KB 
ID:	196397
    Right on!!
    Best lines i heard all day were in front of mineral between two equally stoked dudes. "Theres nobody here..."
    "Yeah. Who cares!"
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    Mr Davis
    For a Jong like me does the access to Bc mean LCc road closure?

Driving down from idahooo
    Thanks for your help

In case he doesn't see your post, no they're not the same thing. Road condtions and cloures : http://511.commuterlink.utah.gov/tats.web.report/#G2

Soli was off the charts good today. No great photos but this was taken at about 1:00. Still plenty fresh.

Thanks iceman

wow today was all time.
    white room top to bottom.
    that's how the wasatch storm engine rolls
    skied one of the forks across from alta.
    no instabilities noted, but looks like that is about to change
    biggest hazard observed: the poor soul that wore sunglasses.

We are no better than trolls... sucking the stoke out this thread.

I had a sickness today keeping me away from the office that was miraculously diagnosed by that Evan fellow (heretofore to be referred too as "The Ullr Whisperer") before I showed the first signs of any sickness. Thats some weird shit. Since I was on the couch all day I can only relay from a trusted operative that a previously called out resort was alltime today and fucking empty-all hail Ullr! That operative had a serious blond moment and forgot his bc gear (and my fucking goggles dur-thanks random stranger who enjoys beer!) and missed what was most definately double alltime over the titties laps on the other side of some ropelines. He pretty much hates himself right now and has taken to the devil liquor at the moment to get past the pain.

As redemption he might be up there tomorrow or Thursday with his bc kit on some big fishy skis in gray helmet, blackish rastaish gogs, black jacket and orange pantalones. Might have knuckledragger in tow. Holla about change or one armed men
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    but seriously, wtf? I was there, I could have stayed, I was looking at the forecasts every 10 minutes, they said it was over, blue sky was breaking through, and so I flew home. And less than 24 hours later there's 30 more inches of new snow. I demand to speak to whoever's in charge, this is unacceptable.
    Iceman is rueful in jeans
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Yeah, in my experience of 24 years (wtf? when did that happen?) in the Wasatch, the best storms are always the unpredicted sleepers. Conversely, the "MONSTER STORM OF THE CENTURY" storms often fizzle.

What forecasts were you looking at? Everything I saw said we were going to have a least a foot by Monday and possibly more.

Iceman, sorry for your loss. But this storm was a bit of a surprise for sure. I'm not sure how Solitude got 30 inches though, I was very close to the boundaries today and it seems suspect.

Either way, it was goood. Doesn't matter how much, it felt fine to me.

Yeah Bob they said as much as a foot but there was a good 8 inches Monday morning, I went out in that for a bit in the AM and I figured that was about it. We left at noon and they're reporting it snowed another 30 inches in the next 20 hours or whatever. It was clearing as we came down the canyon or so it seemed at least. Oh well.

So uh, conditions at the Bird today were pretty good.

Also, moving to Sandy instead of wasting any more of my life on the east coast wasn't a bad idea.

That ought to lock up the understatements of the year. Oh yeah, I was supposed to introduce myself but that's all I got right now (long day). Sup all?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Iceman, sorry for your loss. But this storm was a bit of a surprise for sure. I'm not sure how Solitude got 30 inches though, I was very close to the boundaries today and it seems suspect.

Either way, it was goood. Doesn't matter how much, it felt fine to me.
    i'll see your doubtful drival and raise it to the +2' of cold smoke blower ski ya in the white room stoke level

skied like 28 on top of 10 in my professional snow reporter opinion and that of the ussual cast of soli suspects including the ice grom
    ya know ice forecast is another word for guess
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    biggest hazard observed: the poor soul that wore sunglasses.
    This made me laugh.

Buddy you seem like an adult among children here and have very noble concerns that are bigger than you. You also seem to have an ear of those same people called out above. I have some ideas on what I think could kinda placate both sides in this "dispute" that you probably dont want to here but if you are that tolerant theres a wobbly pop or randonee race rocket fuel beverage of you choice in it for you.[/QUOTE]

I do indeed know some of the players involved, and I/they would welcome ideas as to how to best address this. Most resorts in CO allow UH traffic, but it seems that the old school ski resort management In UT has a tougher time embracing evolution. But perhaps not impossible: I used to have kickers I built torn down by patrollers; now resorts spend million$ to create megapipes that keep on-site paramedics and helivacs in business. So the more ideas that we can come up with to make UH travel palatable to the resorts (and indeed, help them fulfill their obligation to "provide reasonable public access" as per their USFS leases) the better.

Personally I would pay some nominal $ amount for an uphill season pass ($10? $20? no idea really) that included some sort of agreement or waiver along the lines of "I won't ski in closed areas, I won't interfere with mountain ops," etc.

More just to give the resort some money-where-your-mouth is than because I'd really use it all that often (might have skied uphill at Brighton twice all last year? and I think both times they were closed for the season). Might not legally make a difference but I think some "this matters to people and we are willing to pay some amount of money, go through the proper channels, etc" might make an impression.

Just a thought anyway.

LCC Backcountry Closure, Full North Side LCC, from 10 pm tonight to 0800 tomorrow 01/04/17.
    That's Lisa Falls Through Grizzly Gulch.
    Touring access will remain open to areas south of Whitepine Trailhead.
    BCC backcountry access will be a safe bet too.

The road will close at 0600 tomorrow if the forecast is correct, otherwise we will close it when we need to (can't imagine that would be earlier than the cold front arival at midnight.)

Thanks (Jong),

Bradly

Skied Snowbasin this afternoon. Windy and no visibility. Snow picked up as day went on. Tomorrow should be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by recoveringflatlander View Post
    Skied Snowbasin this afternoon. Windy and no visibility. Snow picked up as day went on. Tomorrow should be perfect.
    It was good! I left around 1pm, but the storm skiing was getting better and better.

Save some for Sunday when I arrive. Sounds like things have been reasonably good

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Save some for Sunday when I arrive. Sounds like things have been reasonably good
    Do your best snow dance. It sounds like you're coming in to town with a warm, wet storm, assuming the current forecast is correct.

Snow sure isn't blower pow, but it felt like 8-12" in Short Swing this morning with more coming down.