Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 1021
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by frosted flakes View Post
    I'll be solo at Alta tomorrow if anyone wants to grab a few laps during the storm or beers after. PM me or say hi to the guy in a blue jacket/black pants/black helmet/solid white goggles. This is my first full winter here, hoping to meet some of you out there or on a skin track.
    Come to the bird Sunday. I'll be in red jacket and blue pants. All BD cause I'm tacky like that. I'll also be the only guy sporting the Hendrix Icelandic from a few years back. Wife is a dirty boarder so no Alta for her. Our first winter too.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Back on orig acct...
    Posts
    677
    It is showing nearly constant precipitation for northern Utah over the next 16 hours, and likely longer into early tomorrow morning.

    -WSF
    success has many fathers, failure is an orphan // we are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master -EH

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    1,905
    Insane traffuck in BCC right now

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    Come to the bird Sunday. I'll be in red jacket and blue pants. All BD cause I'm tacky like that. I'll also be the only guy sporting the Hendrix Icelandic from a few years back. Wife is a dirty boarder so no Alta for her. Our first winter too.
    I'm supposed to ski with family on Sunday, but definitely one of these weekends. Looks like the skiing should be good for awhile.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    13 miles from the Bird
    Posts
    387

    WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 16-17

    Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    Come to the bird Sunday. I'll be in red jacket and blue pants. All BD cause I'm tacky like that. I'll also be the only guy sporting the Hendrix Icelandic from a few years back. Wife is a dirty boarder so no Alta for her. Our first winter too.
    I'll be up there tomorrow as well. Black arcteryx jacket and olive pants on bodaciouses from a few years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Insane traffuck in BCC right now
    BCC looked f'ed this morning when I drove up at 10.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    1,905
    Skied well at Brighton today. Lot of storm slabs already even inbounds under the lifts. Snowing steady. Nice day with skiATL and my wife.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Behind the Zion Curtain
    Posts
    2,387
    Tomorrow at the Bird should be pretty nice. Today wasn't too bad either. The wind was howling at the top but there was plenty of fresh to be found. I'm still trying to get in season shape, jello legs by 2 today. The Cirque Traverse is fat, surprisingly so.

    First Tram!

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Lot of storm slabs already even inbounds under the lifts.
    for sure. summit lift opened for first time yesterday. shit was deep but later closed. props to the cops yesterday for not letting just anyone in anything up the canyon.

    storm skiing

    Name:  jackson.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  88.7 KB

    friday morning was great. 29, no wind and lots of pow

    Name:  mill-d.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  97.0 KB

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    503
    Soli was skiing great today. The first few laps off summit made my weekend.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Back on orig acct...
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Skied well at Brighton today. Lot of storm slabs already even inbounds under the lifts. Snowing steady. Nice day with skiATL and my wife.
    got one ticket for btown that expires soon, planning to use it next weekend if you wanna get runs in.

    Found Parvo's avatar today.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0377.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	194867

    Brighton trees

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0356 (3).jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	596.8 KB 
ID:	194868
    success has many fathers, failure is an orphan // we are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master -EH

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    cottonwood heights
    Posts
    909
    Sunday Driver on the Mountain takin pics at Solitude >Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1042.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1,010.9 KB 
ID:	194871here's a nice feel for the terrain shot.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1046.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	194872mmm fluffy vanilla icing ,smears w my 178 B3 bandit blades

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1048.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	958.9 KB 
ID:	194873derp why tgr not accept the vertical pictures sometimes?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1049.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	194874neat framing ;almost ,jaguar paw!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1052.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	194875fyi visitors-no groomers from the top ,on a powder day

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1057.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	194876almost got the sik sunglow in this pic-to busy skiing to sit there trying for long

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1045.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	978.8 KB 
ID:	194879snow felt as good as it looks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1050.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	194877  
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,146
    Bird was a shit show today. But still managed to get a lap or two in. Senderito time in the cirque
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AU7A5127.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	825.3 KB 
ID:	194892
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AU7A5152.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	725.8 KB 
ID:	194893
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    95
    The Utah Avalanche Center is selling a limited number of donated discount lift tickets - save a few bucks and do some skiing to benefit the folks who help you stay on top of the Greatest Snow on Earth. Discount lift tickets for Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Sundance, Snowbasin, Powder Mountain, and Beaver Mountain are now available, donated by the resorts to benefit the Utah Avalanche Center. Details and order information here.

    We also have one Vail Resorts Epic Season pass to sell, with bidding ending Dec 18. These are no longer for sale through Vail Resorts - this is your best choice if you still want one and want to support a great cause at the same time.

    For your Salt Lake City shopping pleasure: between now and Jan 15th, Whole Foods Market at Trolley Square, Sugarhouse & Cottonwood Heights will donate a dime per bag to Utah Avalanche Center when you shop there and donate your bag credit at check out.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the brew room
    Posts
    1,578
    kept it pretty mellow yesterday. w-sw facing. up high had some wind funk, down low started to get heavy and some sun crust. everything in the middle was $.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arthur willow.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	639.2 KB 
ID:	194929

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    457
    Is this a backcountry thread? I don't care. West Rustler was absolutely rippin today. Good gracious that was fun. Train tracks.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Jackson, WY
    Posts
    2,078
    Missed the latest bout of snow as I was out of town on work but found loads of edge able and wind buffed bird runs this am. The sides off Regulator were wind whipped $$$$.

    Also buy those Utah avi center tix people!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey

    Associate Editor, TGR

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    9,382
    aint no damn rules
    hooray for positive base building utahoe holiday storm cycles

    are volie ski tips still cool?

    angry whelks on db's always will b

    soli friday and sunday didnt suck and delivered
    Saturday was pretty brutal weather wise

    and some healthy lemons out there
    found one crossing a wind loaded slope headed up the silly fork

    was close to self arrest but got dumped at the end
    put me down for another statistic in the catch n carry column
    i had an inklin but not a big enough one to zip up the leg zips
    stopped in to check on a dwelling

    and skied the og cabin run with no obvious additinal instabilites noted

    solisunday always good to ski with og mags
    tri u

    toph

    and a bum gittin er done

    git ya sum dawgs
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    38
    I'm pretty new to the wasatch. Anybody have any beta on touring from LCC to Park City and back?

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brokane / Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    2,612
    Quote Originally Posted by P.A.B.C. View Post
    I'm pretty new to the wasatch. Anybody have any beta on touring from LCC to Park City and back?
    Look at a map, its not that hard to figure out I've done it from PC to LCC and back, but not the other way around. Probably a little harder these days with resort expansion on the wasatch back and a different uphill policy at brighton than when I did it.

    from LCC, you won't want to go any lower in BCC than silver fork. Mill F will get you into PCMR proper, Bear Trap will get you into Canyons with a little ridge walking to the west.

    From PC, we went up from iron mountain TH and then traversed iron mountain (called pioneer ridge on PCMR trail maps) till we could drop into BCC. went up brighton to twin lakes pass.

    little known fact: back in the day, people would tour up thaynes canyon to get up to brighton to go skiing, staying at FS cabins that were vacant during the winters.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    1,905

    WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 16-17

    Could do Silver > up Willow to USA bowl to that ridge and drop Jupiter. Idk. I asked this question last year and was successfully convinced that there were cooler inter-canyon tours to do.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Look at a map, its not that hard to figure out I've done it from PC to LCC and back, but not the other way around. Probably a little harder these days with resort expansion on the wasatch back and a different uphill policy at brighton than when I did it.

    from LCC, you won't want to go any lower in BCC than silver fork. Mill F will get you into PCMR proper, Bear Trap will get you into Canyons with a little ridge walking to the west.

    From PC, we went up from iron mountain TH and then traversed iron mountain (called pioneer ridge on PCMR trail maps) till we could drop into BCC. went up brighton to twin lakes pass.

    little known fact: back in the day, people would tour up thaynes canyon to get up to brighton to go skiing, staying at FS cabins that were vacant during the winters.
    Thanks. I have looked at maps, but it is kinda hard to tell if there is an efficient way to go while avoiding the resorts. The Iron Mountain trail seems like the way to go, as long as PC and Brighton make going uphill easy.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brokane / Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    2,612
    Quote Originally Posted by P.A.B.C. View Post
    Thanks. I have looked at maps, but it is kinda hard to tell if there is an efficient way to go while avoiding the resorts. The Iron Mountain trail seems like the way to go, as long as PC and Brighton make going uphill easy.
    we went early to avoid any PCMR conflicts, but there wasn't a gondola over that mountain back then. once on pioneer ridge, no one will bother you. we also went uphill through brighton during operating hours which I think is a no-no now, but I think you can scoot the boundaries by going up from silver lake and using the sol-bright trail for a brief, not highly visible moment.

    when we did it we were trying to ski all the central wasatch resorts (minus deer valley and snowbird) by human power only as a two person protest to ski link. We ended up bailing on skiing all the way down to Alta and then bailed on exiting through the canyons for logistics when we got back to the pc ridgeline.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Could do Silver > up Willow to USA bowl to that ridge and drop Jupiter. Idk. I asked this question last year and was successfully convinced that there were cooler inter-canyon tours to do.
    I think its a pretty cool tour at the time. Its got a nice old school feel since thaynes canyon from pc was the way people got up to brighton in the winter back in the day. Are there better inter-canyon tours for skiing? you bet. would I do it again? eh.... maybe? But skiing from PC to LCC and back in a day is pretty cool. People pay to do that tour one way all winter long with lifts.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Out to sea
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    Is this a backcountry thread? I don't care. West Rustler was absolutely rippin today. Good gracious that was fun. Train tracks.
    that was insanely fuckin fun

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,530
    ^^^ For real. Call it sacrilege but I thought that was so much better than my first and second runs of the day despite the un-tracked pow day phenomenon. The bonus on top was the fact that the normal traverse wasnt that bad so you didn't really have to slow down for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    ^^^ For real. Call it sacrilege but I thought that was so much better than my first and second runs of the day despite the un-tracked pow day phenomenon. The bonus on top was the fact that the normal traverse wasnt that bad so you didn't really have to slow down for it.
    Still skiing great this morning. Some of the chutes in Eagle's Nest looked unskied in the past few days and were $$$ too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •