Arrow My 500"+ Prediction Last Season Was Bold...

...for the Wasatch, considering the previous season was only 300-something inches! And the 3 seasons prior to that were only in the 400's.
    The good news was that my call for the 2015-16 season ended up being TEN FEET higher than the previous 2014-15 season. But, I missed the "over 500" part by a couple feet. Not so for this upcoming year. As will be seen, the season will handily surpass 500" this time.
    I hope to see many of you old timers out and about this year.

As always....."change for a nickel?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheDruggist View Post
    As will be seen, the season will handily surpass 500" this time. (My 11/23/16 prediction started this thread.)
    Surpassing 500" by at least 50" certainly qualifies as "handily."
    Just a reminder.....when the bird closes in two months, you saw this season's total predicted here.

Lol Brighton says they have 603" already. Must be a deep hole they measure from

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Lol Brighton says they have 603" already. Must be a deep hole they measure from
    seriously, they have become great offenders in the counting snow game. I can easily believe that BCC gets more snow on occasion than Alta (collins snow stake), but 100"+ that shit is ridiculous.

I get it. most ski areas/resorts have become pretty creative in their measuring techniques. (multiple stakes, taking the highest one....) but brighton has seemed to really surpassed most especially given the number of ski resorts that are literally right next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDruggist View Post
    Surpassing 500" by at least 50" certainly qualifies as "handily."
    Just a reminder.....when the bird closes in two months, you saw this season's total predicted here.
    wow, pretty bold prediction predicting the seasonal snowfall average....

but yea you nailed it and i'm glad you were right because it was a good season in the wasatch. shootin' 50% so far (your own admission) by predicting the average snowfall, bravo . and the bird's extended season is bonus so doesn't count since the ski season ends for most wasatch resorts in mid april.
    Last edited by BRUTAH; 04-02-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    seriously, they have become great offenders in the counting snow game. I can easily believe that BCC gets more snow on occasion than Alta (collins snow stake), but 100"+ that shit is ridiculous.

I get it. most ski areas/resorts have become pretty creative in their measuring techniques. (multiple stakes, taking the highest one....) but brighton has seemed to really surpassed most especially given the number of ski resorts that are literally right next to it.

wow, pretty bold prediction predicting the seasonal snowfall average....

but yea you nailed it and i'm glad you were right because it was a good season in the wasatch. shootin' 50% so far (your own admission) by predicting the average snowfall, bravo . and the bird's extended season is bonus so doesn't count since the ski season ends for most wasatch resorts in mid april.
    I actually believe them. Many of our storms this year were southerly flow, and Brighton/DV outperformed expectations. I work at silver Lake and can verify how much more they were picking up during those storms
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I actually believe them. Many of our storms this year were southerly flow, and Brighton/DV outperformed expectations. I work at silver Lake and can verify how much more they were picking up during those storms
    no way....
    PC resorts are sitting around 400", solitude is around 490", alta is 494", snowbird is 486", there is not a chance that brighton got over 110" more than ski areas within a mile of them. And this isn't an isolated event, they have seen a drastic "increase" in comparison to their neighbors over the past 5ish years.

the measuring stick of the wasatch is the collins snow stake at Alta.

They have been measuring snow at that exact location for probably longer than any other spot in the United States. it is monitored by an automated computer snow stake and by people. And all the data, every year/month/storm, from that snow stake is available for free on Alta's website.

They have been measuring snow at that exact location for probably longer than any other spot in the United States. it is monitored by an automated computer snow stake and by people. And all the data, every year/month/storm, from that snow stake is available for free on Alta's website.
    Fun fact my professor has done research on avalanche prediction, and the wasatch is one of the best places for avalanche forecasting because it has the best records of any prominent avalanche zone.

This is why Brighton's numbers are shit. Sure maybe a bit more than LCC due to some more sw flow this season but 100" more is just bull. Like mentioned they measure wherever it's deepest to their advantage. We all know Alta can have varied amounts all across the MTN. Friday was a good example I noted anywhere from 5" to 10" depending on where I was. Picking one spot to measure is more accurate overall. Alta could kill all snow totals each year if they measured like Brighton does. Marketing shills.

Wasatchsnowforecast also believes Brighton's numbers are overblow. A good friend of mine runs bestsnow.net and has been keeping official snotel records for eons. He too doesn't buy Brighton's totals, but will be getting snotel totals once Brighton has them all computerized (not done yet). I suspect he will find the same, that their numbers are BS. I'd venture to say that Brighton has never beaten altas totals in history. Maybe though.