Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 819
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    4,159
    ^when you say ASH, do you maple-ash core or just Ash?

    also, you may have mentioned in the other thread but I'll pose the question here as well, what flex do you have the PJs in?

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    193
    [QUOTE=Muggydude;4978731]Thinking #4 Flex, ash veneer. Either stock horse topsheet, or Jamaican lion or Mountain Sunrise with the veneer.

    /QUOTE]

    I want to see the mountain sunrise on a veneer! I think it would be money! Almost did it for my backcountry build.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Other Side
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    ^when you say ASH, do you maple-ash core… or just Ash?

    also, you may have mentioned in the other thread but I'll pose the question here as well, what flex do you have the PJs in?
    I mean Maple Ash

    PJs and Concepts are a 3. GPOs and Protest 3+.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    703
    Bump for the custom sale. Any more thoughts on the Q in comparison to the GPO now that people have some more days on these? Relative strengths / weakness and difference between the two?

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    2,535
    The Q is not as effortless. You have to be more engaged.

    Hardpack - both are good. Slight edge to Q. You can feel the asymmetry on hardpack, but it still rides intuitively.

    Pow - both are good at - 1. They are different. GPO surfs a little more. The Q charges a little more. Both tips plane well. Neither leaves me feeling like I'm in the backseat at -1.

    Variable - Both are good shapes for variable or weird snow. Q tracks a little better at speed.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    9,077
    Interesting. Good comparison

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    The Q is not as effortless. You have to be more engaged.

    Hardpack - both are good. Slight edge to Q. You can feel the asymmetry on hardpack, but it still rides intuitively.

    Pow - both are good at - 1. They are different. GPO surfs a little more. The Q charges a little more. Both tips plane well. Neither leaves me feeling like I'm in the backseat at -1.

    Variable - Both are good shapes for variable or weird snow. Q tracks a little better at speed.
    This is great information, and all of the comments to date are reason enough for me to wait until Keith sees a commercial reason to release a length in the low 180's.

    Also, was it you or ShuShu who said that the GPO pivots more quickly, but the Q makes a quicker edge change?

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    2,535
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    This is great information, and all of the comments to date are reason enough for me to wait until Keith sees a commercial reason to release a length in the low 180's.

    Also, was it you or ShuShu who said that the GPO pivots more quickly, but the Q makes a quicker edge change?

    ... Thom
    Shu said that - far more eloquent than I would have.

    I agree with him.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    This is great information, and all of the comments to date are reason enough for me to wait until Keith sees a commercial reason to release a length in the low 180's.

    Also, was it you or ShuShu who said that the GPO pivots more quickly, but the Q makes a quicker edge change?

    ... Thom
    182 length is now up on the website...

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    182 length is now up on the website...
    An emotional rollercoaster ;-)

    Edit:

    I just shot Keith some questions. I'll report back with his comments. These are the questions, in case they're relevant to anyone else ...

    Hi Keith,

    A couple of data points to base my questions on:



    • My Maple/Ash/Veneer Freerides (184, flex #4) were too much ski for me and I sold them. On days I’d pull out the Freerides (Front Range Colorado), the snow is a bit harder, and I find myself in bumps perhaps 25% of the time. I was hanging up the tails and it was rattling my old bones.
    • I’m loving my 182 MAP/Carbon GPOs (flex #4) on everything from hardpack to 12” fresh, and I’m considering shifting them to touring/sidecountry duty if a pair of Quixotes can fill this slot.
    • I picked up a used pair of used ON3P Billy Goats (184) last Spring, and they’re about the limit of a ski I’d want to push around. I only take them out when there’s more than 8” of fresh. I think these skis led me toward specifying too much ski for the Freeride’s construction.

    The TGR consensus is that the Quixotes are a bit quicker from edge to edge, but that the GPO pivots a bit quicker, and overall, the Quixote has you paying just a bit more attention. I’m ok with “a bit”. Just checking if you agree.

    • Does swapping a pair of Quixotes into the daily driver slot currently dedicated to my GPOs make sense? I can see repurposing the GPOs as a good Winter powder touring ski.
    • For a daily driver (from hardpack to 8” of fresh), does a Quixote in 182 (flex #4) make sense? I’m assuming a 188 would be too long for me based on positive experience with a 182 GPO (MAP/Carbon flex #4).
    • Would Enduro/Carbon be the way to go (this works on my GPO’s)? Colorado Front Range – bumps on hard snow days, tight trees when inbounds powder hunting.
    • Should I stay away from the heavy core (Maple/Ash)? I realize that the difficulty I had with the Freerides doesn’t bear much relation to the Quixotes, but I thought I’d ask.

    Edit:

    Keith replied that my troubles with the Freerides definitely had to do with the long effective edge and minimal to no rocker. He's no fan of the ski in tight bumps either. He thinks my choice of a Q in 182 / #4 / Enduro Carbon / Veneer is a good match for me.

    BTW, I remounted the GPOs with Vipecs for a trial run in late Spring snow (the Vipecs were mounted at about -1.8 due to hole conflict with the Warden heels). If anything, I love them even more at -1.8 than at -1 ... no down side ... they're just as quick and a bit more stable.


    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-23-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    9,077

    Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

    Hahaa. Awesome but I have to laugh



    .....Sean

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    An emotional rollercoaster ;-)

    Edit:

    I just shot Keith some questions. When I hear back from him (I'll ring the phone off the hook tomorrow), I'll report back with his comments. These are the questions, in case they're relevant to anyone else ...

    A couple of data points to base my questions on:

    • My Maple/Ash/Veneer Freerides (184, flex #4) were too much ski for me and I sold them. On days Id pull out the Freerides (Front Range Colorado), the snow is a bit harder, and I find myself in bumps perhaps 25% of the time. I was hanging up the tails and it was rattling my old bones.
    • Im loving my 182 MAP/Carbon GPOs (flex #4) on everything from hardpack to 12 fresh, and Im considering shifting them to touring/sidecountry duty if a pair of Quixotes can fill this slot.
    • I picked up a used pair of used ON3P Billy Goats (184) last Spring, and theyre about the limit of a ski Id want to push around. I only take them out when theres more than 8 of fresh. I think these skis led me toward specifying too much ski for the Freerides construction.

    The TGR consensus is that the Quixotes are a bit quicker from edge to edge, but that the GPO pivots a bit quicker, and overall, the Quixote has you paying just a bit more attention. Im ok with a bit. Just checking if you agree.

    • Does swapping a pair of Quixotes into the daily driver slot currently dedicated to my GPOs make sense? I can see repurposing the GPOs as a good Winter powder touring ski.
    • For a daily driver (from hardpack to 8 of fresh), does a Quixote in 182 (flex #4) make sense? Im assuming a 188 would be too long for me based on positive experience with a 182 GPO (MAP/Carbon flex #4).
    • Would Enduro/Carbon be the way to go (this works on my GPOs)? Colorado Front Range bumps on hard snow days, tight trees when inbounds powder hunting.
    • Should I stay away from the heavy core (Maple/Ash)? I realize that the difficulty I had with the Freerides doesnt bear much relation to the Quixotes, but I thought Id ask.


    ... Thom
    You're over thinking this and are suffering paralysis by analysis. If you want to buy Quixote's just do it. Buy some #3.5 flex 182's in an Enduro/carbon core with cherry veneer. They will look sweet and should ski awesome.

    As for your issue's with the Freeride's, I doubt it had to do with the Heavy core. Keith once told me the 184 Freeride's ski bigger than a 190 Backcountry. So the Freeride definitely skis bigger than the 182 GPO that you're used to. More traditional skis like the Freeride have a lot more effective edge and as a result they take a lot more input to ski and they punish bad habits/behavior. So I think your issue's were probably a combination of the effective edge and the medium/stiff flex not the hardwood core. A softer flex or smaller size probably would have helped elevate your issue's.

    I have a Piste Jib with a Heavy/carbon core and Ash veneer. That combination makes for a nice damp, smooth and poppy ride. It is by far my favorite layup that Praxis offers. If I were to give into temptation and buy some Quixote's that is definitely the layup I'd buy.
    Last edited by Kopi_Red; 03-30-2017 at 11:07 PM.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,995
    Thanks! I think you're right about overthinking, as well as the effective edge (and camber contact) of the Freeride. I edited my post above - with Keith's confirmation of that.

    Keith verified that 182 / #4 / Enduro Carbon / Veneer is the way to go based on my love of the similarly configured GPOs (minus the veneer).

    .. Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-23-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,104
    ^^^this^^^
    ....or for the condensed version I was going to send *yes *yes *no *no (but a pure Enduro Veneer MIGHT make sense for YOU, but that'd be your call)
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    You're over thinking this and are suffering paralysis by analysis. If you want to buy Quixote's just do it. Buy some #3.5 flex 182's in an Enduro/carbon core with cherry veneer. They will look sweet and should ski awesome.

    As for your issue's with the Freeride's, I doubt it had to do with the Heavy core. Keith once told me the 184 Freeride's ski bigger than a 190 Backcountry. So the Freeride definitely skis bigger than the 182 GPO that you're used to. More traditional skis like the Freeride have a lot more effective edge and as a result they take a lot more input to ski and they punish bad habits/behavior. So I think your issue's were probably a combination of the effective edge and the medium/stiff flex not the hardwood core. A softer flex or smaller size probably would have help elevate your issue's.

    I have a Piste Jib with a Heavy/carbon core and Ash veneer. That combination makes for a nice damp, smooth and poppy ride. It is by far my favorite layup that Praxis offers. If I were to give into temptation and buy some Quixote's that is definitely the layup I'd buy.
    Completely agree... I am on vaca, but got on my 194 Qs for the first time in 7+ inches and absolutely fell in love... So intuitive and easy to ski and killed it today... I will post a full review as tomorrow starts off cold so still untouched in the AM, but sun full on and in the low 40s by lunch so will hit some junked up shit and mank... I am looking.forward to see how it will handle that stuff...

    The only thing I want to see if it still happens tomorrow is when I was on run outs and the ski was flat my left ski would wander... The snow in the afternoon was grabby and when I put the Qs on edge no problem... But when flat the ski would wander...

    However, I after skiing the Qs today no doubt I am a fan of the skis Tabke and Keith put out...

    And as always this board was right... I ordered the bamboo veneer, but F me one day of skiing I have more topsheet scratches than I would have thought... Doing the ambrosia next...

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Other Side
    Posts
    715
    looking forward to the full review have a great day

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,995
    Back on track ...
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NWCT
    Posts
    1,914

    Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

    Whoops, wrong thread

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    So I read some information

    ....
    Legit science or marketing psycho-babble ? Discuss.
    I guess I'm convinced:

    Quixote Custom
    (Length (CM): 194, Ski Flex: # 3, How Fat? Standard Width, Topsheet Graphic Art: Stained Glass Trees, Base Graphic Options: Pure Black, Wood Veneer - Karelian Birch (+$200), Core Options: Enduro w/Carbon (+$100), Skier Ability Level: Expert (Level 3), Height/Weight: 6'4" - 175 pounds, Where do you ski at? Let us know about the resorts, destinations and locations that you ski? western canada - Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Fernie, K3 catski, etc..., Skiing Style and Preferences: powder, open alpine bowls, trees, drops... you know, skiing!, Payment Plan? No)


    Can't wait to see it in the Fall!!

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    703
    What is the standard flex (non custom) on the Q.

    Also anyone thinking of a -1 Q . 108 underfoot looks good for a daily driver, or is this shape stupid to do in that width?

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    9,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    What is the standard flex (non custom) on the Q.

    Also anyone thinking of a -1 Q . 108 underfoot looks good for a daily driver, or is this shape stupid to do in that width?
    I'd be down with a skinny q. I think they're 4 flex. I heard the assym has less effect the skinnier the ski but I still like the numbers and rocker profile. Be awesome in the spring stretch out on some groomers in the am then smashing some slush in the aft

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    I guess I'm convinced:

    Quixote Custom
    (Length (CM): 194, Ski Flex: # 3, How Fat? Standard Width, Topsheet Graphic Art: Stained Glass Trees, Base Graphic Options: Pure Black, Wood Veneer - Karelian Birch (+$200), Core Options: Enduro w/Carbon (+$100), Skier Ability Level: Expert (Level 3), Height/Weight: 6'4" - 175 pounds, Where do you ski at? Let us know about the resorts, destinations and locations that you ski? western canada - Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Fernie, K3 catski, etc..., Skiing Style and Preferences: powder, open alpine bowls, trees, drops... you know, skiing!, Payment Plan? No)


    Can't wait to see it in the Fall!!
    I'd really like to see what that birch looks like, did you find a pic anywhere before you ordered?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,853

    Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

    Am I crazy to be thinking about the 182 Q? About me 5'9 170 lbs. consider myself advanced-expert skier (Grew up skiing in CO, past 3-4 seasons had about 35 days or so). Ski A basin, Vail, Breck, Keystone the most.

    I had 187 MAP GPOs before this, right length in most situations, occasionally length felt a little long in bumps and very tight trees when their wasn't much snow.

    These will be complimenting 180 Brahmas, 186 Jeffrey 114s and 192 Protests.

    Sometimes I just feel like I may be able to ski a little better on a shorter ski and not beat myself up occasionally. Really be completely in control of the ski and everything it's doing, even if I'm not 100% on my game.

    Might just be crazy. I've skied and really liked my 187 GPOs, 186 Lhasa Pow Fats, and 186 Billygoats (goats felt a little heavy at times).

    I also really like my 180 Brahmas in hardpack, had them out in deeper chop and felt I didn't have enough ski at all. Also still in some 176 ON3P Jeronimos, which were a really fun ski and so park duty now mostly. Didn't usually feel like I overpowered those even though they were definitely too short.


    I'm still leaning towards 188 just because it probably fills a spot in my quiver between Jeffrey's and Protests better, Jeffrey's will come out in anything up to 6-8 inches most likely. Maybe go 3 or 3.5 flex over stock 4?

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    I'd really like to see what that birch looks like, did you find a pic anywhere before you ordered?
    I've requested a picture of their actual veneer before confirming, but based on what Google tells me, I like it:


  25. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    girdwood
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    What is the standard flex (non custom) on the Q.

    Also anyone thinking of a -1 Q . 108 underfoot looks good for a daily driver, or is this shape stupid to do in that width?
    I pulled the trigger on a -1 Q. Heavy layup w/ambrosia veneer. #4 flex.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •