Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Yep. The wonders of modern ski shapes! What an age

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    I guess what I'm getting at is that the Q works best when you you take that approach across literally all snow conditions (to the extent possible). I think Thom has mentioned a few times, and I totally agree, with the Q you can surf pow, blast crud, and ride hardpack all within a few turns, and the transitions are super smooth and don't require much of a stance weight adjustment.
    That's exactly it. Where I still have an occasional hiccup is on hardpack because of old habits.

That sense of similar balance point (both fore/aft and left/right) can end up being a game changer for me in the transitional conditions I mentioned (turn to turn and most significantly, within the SAME turn).

Your comment about quick turns on hard snow brought me back to my 3rd or 4th day on them. It was really strange, as I found myself adopting a lower and wider stance to fire them off. It was an unsustainable approach, and now, im trying to recall exactly how I addressed it. I believe I just stood up and centered myself, but I'll have to get back on snow to remember/describe it.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Yep. The wonders of modern ski shapes! What an age
    Have you skied any asym skis? If so, how did you feel about them?

Galibier, I have a fair amount of experience switching back and forth between different shapes, from traditional to RES or full rocker, or dramatic taper, or traditional to a ski like the ARG. Never had an issue. More than 90% work right away, and I could figure them out within a few runs.

Spent a few days each on multiple asym skis and they were much harder for me to me adapt too than even an ARG or Hoji. I figured I just personally didnt gel with them, and left it at that. I wouldnt have the confidence now to blow through my wallet on a pair of asym skis again, but I’d like to give it another shot somehow.

I also went too short with my skinny Qs, should have went 193cm. I feel like a 195 fat Q would be epic for charging deeper snow.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Yup, the Q was/is the longest adjustment period I've spent with a ski. Like yourself, it usually takes a few runs - a day at most, for me to figure out a ski.

The fact that they did some things really well is what encouraged me to keep at it.

[edit] So my physical therapist says that the patella pain I've been experiencing the past couple of years is mostly due to weak glutes (amongst other muscle groups, along with the compensating by overusing my quads) - that I should stand more upright when I'm skiing ;-) A month of doing her prescribed exercises could result in a revelation.

(https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Leg-(Quad)-Man). Stay tuned ...

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-27-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Qs killed it on the WROD today. Conditions were pure shit fuck with 3x the safe number of skiers...aka pure opening day bliss, and I loved every second on them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181027_110523.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	754.9 KB 
ID:	252794

Those things look sick! Pretty center mounted?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Yeah If I remember correctly the recommended mount is -6 or -7?, which is where I am.

Curious if anyone has had any time on both a #5 flex GPO and a Quixote, and could elaborate on how different the two ski? I’ve emailed Keith, but wouldn’t mind hearing a bit from others.

Cheers!

I’ve ridden a 4 flex of each, so take that for what it’s worth.

Q skis its full length. GPO skis its running length.

Q needs the fall line and some speed to come alive. It was work for me to throw them sideways in tight spaces. I find it much easier to shut GPOs down. And billy goats for that matter.

Both ride firm snow incredibly well for their size.

Untracked open area or Plowing through variable snow - I’d take the Q. Tight spaces, trees, day after a storm, touring into unknown conditions - I’d take the GPO.

I mounted both at -1. Which I think is -8. GPO sank on the dimple. Didn’t try the dimple on the Q. Maybe would have made it more nimble? Fatter nose might reduce the risk of sinking in soft snow.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Keith describes the Q as a cross between a GPO and an RX so that should give you an idea.

SuperC is spot on... I have both skis in med/stiff and there is nothing I would add to what SC stated above other than the GPO is by far one of the most versatile fatties I have been on... I love both skis, but the GPO is jus truly an all around great ski...

To me it just boils down to what your style is, terrain you are skiing and snow conditions/qualities...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Similar to Chicken i'm on 4 flexes of both.

Chicken's summary is spot on. I think the Q has the bigger learning curve, but it really rewards the time you put into figuring it out (whereas the GPO is pretty much instantly intuitive). I prefer the Q as a resort ski, especially in tracked, snow. While the GPO may feel a little quicker due how much shorter it skis, I feel the Q can be equally quick once you get your approach nailed, but as chicken noted speed is the key, which depending on your approach might make trees a bit more challenging.

The Q needs speed to come alive, it craves the fall line and a two footed steering approach. The GPO not nearly as much. I find the skiing experience more unique and rewarding on the Q, but the GPO is the safer and more conventional bet, while still bringing huge smiles.

I think I am in the minority here but I'll throw it out there. I think the Q is intuitive to ski straight out of the wrapper. I think it helps to be old school-ish as if you can look past the asymmetry, which I don't even notice, it skis fairly traditionally. For me, it is a perfect one ski quiver at 6'0 165 in the 188.

I have never skied the GPO, doesn't it have a much more forward mount and a more 5-pt ish shape?

Just making me antsy to get on my Qs. Just sat in the basement all last season, back injuries suck.

I think their fall line approach style, combined with the shorter 182 length will work really well as a Colorado resort ski. I definitely have a two footed approach so I'm hoping they click pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I think I am in the minority here but I'll throw it out there. I think the Q is intuitive to ski straight out of the wrapper. I think it helps to be old school-ish as if you can look past the asymmetry, which I don't even notice, it skis fairly traditionally. For me, it is a perfect one ski quiver at 6'0 165 in the 188.

I have never skied the GPO, doesn't it have a much more forward mount and a more 5-pt ish shape?
    More of a shark nose, longer taper, I think.
    Just to be clear I do not want this to devolve into another billy goat thread, but...

Have you skied a Billy Goat?

I wonder if the RES tip has ruined my impression of what skis intuitively.

We are the same size and I parted with my 188s. I was using them as my touring setup with Vipecs. Replaced with a steeple 116 184 which weighs exactly the same as my Qs did, but is more of what I'm used to now, I suppose. Given the weights moment is posting, I think I may move them for something lighter at some point.

I agree. First day on them felt like I’d been skiing them for years. Bibbys have been the ski for me that everything gets compared to. The have been every bit as intuitive and confidence inspiring in all conditions as the bibbys. The only complaint I’ve had is float on very deep and relatively low angle pow. They dive. Mounted on the line. Wonder if -1 would help, but but bought protests do I guess it’s not an issue now... I owned gpos when they first came out. Mine had carbon which I think led to me dumping them.

I needed new skis. Praxis has taken care of me in the past so I got the Qs. I don't demo skis. I purchase them, beat them into submission, then throw them in the corner of the garage. The exception would be Super 7s which I thought were goofy.

Mine are mounted -1.5 because thats is what my Freerides are mounted at and Keith suggested.

I needed new skis. Praxis has taken care of me in the past so I got the Qs. I don't demo skis. I purchase them, beat them into submission, then throw them in the corner of the garage. The exception would be Super 7s which I thought were goofy.

Mine are mounted -1.5 because thats is what my Freerides are mounted at and Keith suggested.
    So...never skied a Billy goat?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    So...never skied a Billy goat?
    True

I certainly haven't but I'd love to try 2019 with the asym given how much I love my Qs. Shape looks incredible.

Open invite if you come to the PNW and have a bsl between 295 and 318

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Open invite if you come to the PNW and have a bsl between 295 and 318
    Thanks Chicken I'm 297! , This year its back to the interior, but just another reason to plan a trip to the PNW. Hiked for 8" of wet pow on top of grass this past weekend on the Qs, so fun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early Season Pows.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	748.7 KB 
ID:	255502

Ok, after reading all 624 posts on the Q, I want a pair. Anyone thinking of selling their 194s? Regular or skinny, either works with me. Prefer 4 flex, carbon, veneer, enduro core, but if it’s not quite that, let me know.

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

You can get a new pair straight from Praxis this weekend for $585. Use the code TGR at checkout to get 10% off the already discounted price. No veneer or carbon though

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    You can get a new pair straight from Praxis this weekend for $585. Use the code TGR at checkout to get 10% off the already discounted price. No veneer or carbon though
    I saw and with my points I can get it down even more. I’m wondering if it’s worth pulling the trigger for now with them being non-veneer, non-carbon, or if waiting until the spring pre-order is the call.