Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I was thinking more of the skinny Q. The skinny RX would be too short for my liking.
    Ah. 194 skinny Q, gotcha. You’re pretty big right?

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

I shoulda went 194 on my skinny Q, but I have sold every asym ski I have ever owned..Couldnt quite click with them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyone want my pair of 194cm, 4 flex, heavy core maple veneer? Probably have 15 days on them. Mounted with Jester Pros but can sell flat. I love the skis but am recovering from an injury so need something lighter for the season. Thinking $450 shipped w/out bindings but I haven’t researched much so let me know if that price is off. PM me if you’re interested

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Still think a CCR RX would be dope

I'm sportin' wood over these 132uf CCR Protests(aka Hybrids, fukn thanks flyman) they're gonna be dope!:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181125_072544458_HDR.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	587.2 KB 
ID:	257233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181125_072417240.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	257237
    If they were 192, I think I'd be suffering priapism!

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I'm sportin' wood over these 132uf CCR Protests(aka Hybrids, fukn thanks flyman) they're gonna be dope!:Click image for larger version. 

Those look so freaking cool

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Those look so freaking cool
    Why yes.
    Yes they do

Holeeeeyy SHEEEEIT! Those be SICK AF!!!
    I want some, RIGHT NOW!!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

instantly wondering why i didn't try to get protests with ccr. thanks for that...

If you want a CCR, just get the Powderboards

Is CCR still an option on the Praxis site?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    If you want a CCR, just get the Powderboards
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.,......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181126_165950210.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	526.6 KB 
ID:	257324
    K

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.,......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181126_165950210.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	526.6 KB 
ID:	257324
    K
    What flex and core are those?

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    What flex and core are those?

Both pair from before that being an option

Let us know how you like them Q's!

Read the whole thread, but I'm still super curious to hear more comparisons between the Quixote, GPO, and Billy Goat.
    Priorities in order: float in untracked, afternoon chopped pow performance, day 2 leftovers and variable snow.

Choosing between these three as the inbounds powder ski to complement my daily driver 105's.

PS. I thought I'd share some info I got from Keith here so that he isn't forced to answer virtually the same questions individually by email:

Comparing the GPO and RX:

The GPO has more rocker and tip and tail taper, so its more slarvy, not the type of ski that rails a carve but instead its surfy and quick to pivot and smear. So pretty ideal for a powder ski, but not as versatile as something like the RX that can lay an edge an rail a carve on the groomer.

The RX is a great powder ski but with a more conventional shape/design, longer sidecut run length and bigger turn radius. So the RX is more all mountain, something that you can rail turns at speed on the groomer or ski deep powder. The larger turn radius and fact that the tail is 16 mm narrower than the tip makes the ski float and perform well in powder, not as surfy as the GPO but a great powder ski.

I like both of them, and have gone back and forth on what ones I like better. For a pure powder ski I lean towards the GPO for its surfy and easy to pivot nature. But for an all around ski I go for the RX, if I was traveling and could only take one pair I’d grab the RX and go. From what you said about wanting it to be stable and rail crud, and ski the groomer it sounds like the RX would be the choice.

Where the Quixote sits in the evolution:

I often refer to the Quixote as the hybrid of the two, being that it has a longer inside sidecut length and taper on the outside edges it combines the skiing styles of the RX and GPO. The Quixote has pretty big turn on the inside edges carving but when skied in a two foot platform in the powder it really starts to loosen up and slarve.

I think the GPO really has the most float of the bunch, the tips fat point is brought in and elongated over a bigger area, so that gives it more float than the RX and Quixote.

The most traditional mount point is the RX, and the design allows it to be mounted back more. The Quixote would probably be next and then the GPO is more forward on the mount and stance feel.

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post

Read the whole thread, but I'm still super curious to hear more comparisons between the Quixote, GPO, and Billy Goat.
    Priorities in order: float in untracked, afternoon chopped pow performance, day 2 leftovers and variable snow.

Choosing between these three as the inbounds powder ski to complement my daily driver 105's.
    Never owned or skied the “Q” but have owned two pairs of GPO’s and several Billy Goats. I just read what you shared from Keith about the GPO and I have to admit. That was not my experience on the ski. Do they float? Yes. Are they loose in deep snow? A little. They carve deep snow more than slarve. I felt like the tip shape facilitates that but that the forward mount and very flat tail work against getting the float I wanted in deep snow. I always thought “I wish I had more tail rocker on the GPO. Then it would be a better powder ski.”

However...the design a just described is closer to the Billy Goat. RES up from helps with float and keeps it loose and the rocker profile and pin tail amplify that feeling/capability. For the PNW and deep and dense coastal snow we get, I have yet to find a better powder ski than the BG. That being said, I can see someone liking the GPO better in a locale where (1) the snow is lighter and (2) there is more time between storms and all-mtn ability is a stronger consideration.

Finally, before I get accused of being an ON3P fanboy, I want to go on record saying that I hated the first Gen Billy Goat. It is one of the WORST skis I have ever tried. The guys refined the ski over a few iterations (a big part of that being less camber and adding RES) and now they make my favorite skis. Go figure.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Never owned or skied the “Q” but have owned two pairs of GPO’s and several Billy Goats. I just read what you shared from Keith about the GPO and I have to admit. That was not my experience on the ski. Do they float? Yes. Are they loose in deep snow? A little. They carve deep snow more than slarve. I felt like the tip shape facilitates that but that the forward mount and very flat tail work against getting the float I wanted in deep snow. I always thought “I wish I had more tail rocker on the GPO. Then it would be a better powder ski.”

However...the design a just described is closer to the Billy Goat. RES up from helps with float and keeps it loose and the rocker profile and pin tail amplify that feeling/capability. For the PNW and deep and dense coastal snow we get, I have yet to find a better powder ski than the BG. That being said, I can see someone liking the GPO better in a locale where (1) the snow is lighter and (2) there is more time between storms and all-mtn ability is a stronger consideration.

Finally, before I get accused of being an ON3P fanboy, I want to go on record saying that I hated the first Gen Billy Goat. It is one of the WORST skis I have ever tried. The guys refined the ski over a few iterations (a big part of that being less camber and adding RES) and now they make my favorite skis. Go figure.
    You try those BroTests yet?

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post

I may have stated something similar earlier in this thread, but my take...

Float in untracked:
    BG > Quixote = GPO. I don’t think the Q or GPO float any differently. Note - I mounted at -1. The RES tip and near pintail on the BG makes them float better than you would expect for their waist size.

Afternoon Chop.
    BG > Q > GPO. None of them suck. My Q and GPO were MAP cores, not the heavy hitter, so take that into account. But, IMO, there is not a ski that can equal the BG in chop.

Day 2/variable snow.

Well...how do you ski variable snow?

Are you full Candide? Billy goat.

Are you picking your way through it carefully, scrubbing speed, and skiing it like a mogul field? GPO is the easiest of the bunch to ski slowly. I also think it’s the most nimble of the bunch.

Do you do some of both? Q.

I have owned all 3. I currently own 2 Billy goats, 1 steeple 116, and 1 cease and a desist.

I no longer own a Q or a GPO. Though I definitely would if then need or quiver spot opened.

So I guess I’m living my own opinions.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

^ I agree with pretty much everything Chicken said, but I personally prefer my Qs for the way I ski. I was on 187 Enduro GPOs for two seasons, Have skied goats about 4 days in a variety of conditions, and now have 4 days on my Qs. So take my opinions for what you will

I have skied my brothers 2015 186 BG sparingly. I like my 182 Heavy/Carbon/Veneer/4 Flex Qs better than the Goats or my old 187 Enduro GPOs for the way I ski.

Few things to note. The goats weigh a lot more than the GPOs or Quixote’s would in an equivalent size. 1+ lb compared to enduro core, probably ~.4 lbs comparing to heavy/carbon core. I felt the 186 goats could be a bit unwieldy at times to whip around quickly simply because of their weight. Many will disagree with me on the unwieldy comment, but their swing weight is higher. They definitely require you to be more on your game with good athletic stance and form, or they’ll kick your ass a bit if you’re backseat. GPOs and Qs a little more forgiving in that regard. The goats are very quick to, well, billy goat around. The Qs like the fall line more and a more surfy linked turn style. For me the shorter length Q helps me ‘Billygoat’ them anyways though. The 188 Q (essentially same length as the 186 BG) would surely be more of a handful. I’m shorter (5’9) so in general I have less leverage over the tips, so the swing weight might be less of an issue for taller guys.

I’d be interested to compare my 182 Qs to the 2019 179 BGs, which would be a better comparison.

Older goats are not fun on hardpack imo. New ones fixed this to a degree it seems. GPOs were the best of the 3 IMO. Easy to make any turn shape on hard snow. Quixote’s have a larger inner radius and like a little speed to carve, but do well. If you engage the underfoot in a sort slashy two-footed style (vs leaning forward carve) they can pivot and make short radius turns to shut down speed. This is how I ski most of the time so I like this.

I also prefer the Qs over GPOs and BGs in moguls. None of them excel there and aren’t design too, but I really enjoy soft bumps that have a little space on the Qs.

Goats definitely float better. Float is the one disappointment of the GPO and Quixote for skis this size. I think the Quixote’s float a little better personally than the GPOs, but I haven’t had much time on them in deep. Big lines in deep snow I’d choose BG for sure.

The goats still ‘win’ in chop and heavy cut up snow for the most stability and least deflection, but I really, really like the heavy Praxis layup with carbon and veneer (better than ON3P layup honestly). Little more lively, still cuts through chop excellently. Best balance between weight, pop, and dampness.

Enduro gets thrown around with some chatter for sure. Was not much of a fan in heavy cut up snow or refrozen. Really good layup for soft 3D snow and spring slush though

Interesting notes about the Q’s float. I thought my -10 188s floated awesome for their size and width. But my pow skis are almost all Hoji designs which ain’t the greatest floataz

Page 27 delivers big time! Quality posts guys - answered a few questions I've had ever since I first stated considering buying some Qs

Qs have been on my feet more than anything else the last 2.5 seasons. 188. 190 bibbys have been my go to ski but these are getting way more days than my bibbys now. I don’t have to think at all when I ski them and that is probably the biggest thing in that I look for in a ski. That’s why I have enjoyed bibbys for so long. They never do anything weird and are very predictable. More loose in the trees than anything else I own (haven’t skied protests yet), can carve like the bibby, and can stand on them through crud. Only time I’ve had trouble is on the deepest days in low angle terrain. That pushed me to pick up protests. Mounted on the line. -1 may have helped mean the deep/flat but they are perfect everywhere else on the line. I’m surprised they aren’t more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Qs have been on my feet more than anything else the last 2.5 seasons. 188. 190 bibbys have been my go to ski but these are getting way more days than my bibbys now. I don’t have to think at all when I ski them and that is probably the biggest thing in that I look for in a ski. That’s why I have enjoyed bibbys for so long. They never do anything weird and are very predictable. More loose in the trees than anything else I own (haven’t skied protests yet), can carve like the bibby, and can stand on them through crud. Only time I’ve had trouble is on the deepest days in low angle terrain. That pushed me to pick up protests. Mounted on the line. -1 may have helped mean the deep/flat but they are perfect everywhere else on the line. I’m surprised they aren’t more popular.
    I feel the exact same way about mine. Super easy to do just about anything although haven't had them in really deep yet

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Four days on mine now.

Really glad that I used Schizo’s. That was satisfying to do my own mount. Thank you all 🤠

Centered on the mark felt like too much toe on firm snow. So far like them 10 mm forward. Great grip, new un-stoneground edges are fun.

Still in recovery from the 4th of July, and am having serious head games on any decent pitch. Really looking forward to pointing them down a field of pow.

Weird I’m at -1.5 and they’re perfect. Big sweet spot I guess.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer