Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
    More intel. Incredible chop skis so maneuverable come round nicely and also stable in fall line, just keep an edge and make sure both edge angles are equal. had that tabke moment when one ski submarined. So has that tendency. More pressure on the heels required in deep pow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Wow. Had my mind blown today on 189 Flex 4 Qs. My buddy bought them last year I think, but he doesn't charge super hard and has like 10 pairs of skis. He said I could try them today and buy if I liked them. I liked them. ALOT.

I think what helped was that my expectations were way off. I am only 5'7" 140ish#. I have skied bigger skis in the past, but assumed these would manhandle me. I brought my other skis thinking I would get my ass handed to me after two runs and be skiing back to the lot to switch skis. WRONG. Within the first few seconds I was amazed at how easy they turn when you want them to, but can also rail on firm stuff and chop.

Due to crazy wind we skied anywhere from styrofoam windboard to 18" of blower today. They did it all. I am soooo glad I took a chance on these.

Most surprising was how they handled tight trees and bumps. I didn't hike to Headwaters today because of the crazy wind and honestly that terrain is why I wanted a burlier ski. I haven't given them a real big mountain test yet, but I have a feeling they are gonna be the shit.

Ok. Looking hard at these. Love pow boards but looking to reduce the quiver to a 100 and 120 ski. What is the oh shit moment people refer to?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Ok. Looking hard at these. Love pow boards but looking to reduce the quiver to a 100 and 120 ski. What is the oh shit moment people refer to?
    Tip diving when at the worst possible moment?

Watch Tabke’s FWT runs when he crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Tip diving when at the worst possible moment?

Watch Tabke’s FWT runs when he crashes.

Tabke said on Instagram that he landed on a shark. And judging by this photo of his ski he hammered it.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Tabke said on Instagram that he landed on a shark. And judging by this photo of his ski he hammered it.
    He was on fat MVPs in Japan, not Qs.

Watch the runs when he crash’s and is skiing Qs. They are great but once in a while they do something weird and crazy. I can’t really explain it but it happened to me a few times too. I’d relax for a split second and be on my face, or if be in a a really technical spot and a tip would dive. They are great skis 95% of the time, just once in a while I’d screw up and something crazy would happen.

Watch the runs when he crash’s and is skiing Qs. They are great but once in a while they do something weird and crazy. I can’t really explain it but it happened to me a few times too. I’d relax for a split second and be on my face, or if be in a a really technical spot and a tip would dive. They are great skis 95% of the time, just once in a while I’d screw up and something crazy would happen.

Ah sorry I missed that you were talking about multiple runs.

I thought it was just the transition on to a flat cattrack that thru him off. Happens to us mere mortals all the time. Him its surprising. Probably in thought reliving the radness of that run. Snooze ya lose or loose as it were

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I thought it was just the transition on to a flat cattrack that thru him off. Happens to us mere mortals all the time. Him its surprising. Probably in thought reliving the radness of that run. Snooze ya lose or loose as it were

I think I'd 100% love that ski without asym (as opposed to having 95% love for it).

Here's the fall (last rider 2018 Valinord Arcalis): https://www.freerideworldtour.com/ev...ra-2018/replay

That @#$% transition from soft to hard snow. It got me on dust over crust in whiteouts.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Damn. Such a good run. That had it all

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I think I'd 100% love that ski without asym (as opposed to having 95% love for it).

Here's the fall (last rider 2018 Valinord Arcalis): https://www.freerideworldtour.com/ev...ra-2018/replay

That @#$% transition from soft to hard snow. It got me on dust over crust in whiteouts.

... Thom
    I watched that too.

I think I’d love them 100% of the time if they were full rocker and no camber, but I’m sworn off custom skis, they just haven’t worked for me

I watched that too.

I think I’d love them 100% of the time if they were full rocker and no camber, but I’m sworn off custom skis, they just haven’t worked for me

I love mine and haven't noticed them being any weirder than other skis w heavily tapered tips or reverse sidecut sections, but I'm a hack who has random tip dive from time to time on all skis due to pilot error ,so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I went -1 and have skied them about 20 days in all kinds of conditions. The only oh shit moment i've had is flat spinning and hooking outside edges. No problemo after de-tune. FWIW I had 192 gpo's at -1 that would dive in deep soft snow, the q's have not done that to me.

If you're skiing them in the sierra, they're the perfect do-anything 120mm ski. So good in chop and crud. I sold my mid-fat 108 ski because I hadn't used it since I bought the q's. Charge HARD and are surprisingly approachable in tight spaces, bumps, trees as mentioned above. Love me my q's

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I went -1 and have skied them about 20 days in all kinds of conditions. The only oh shit moment i've had is flat spinning and hooking outside edges. No problemo after de-tune. FWIW I had 192 gpo's at -1 that would dive in deep soft snow, the q's have not done that to me.

If you're skiing them in the sierra, they're the perfect do-anything 120mm ski. So good in chop and crud. I sold my mid-fat 108 ski because I hadn't used it since I bought the q's. Charge HARD and are surprisingly approachable in tight spaces, bumps, trees as mentioned above. Love me my q's
    I think we like similar skis. What size are you and what size are your skis? Thinking I'd like to try a 194.
    sproing!

Read through as many of the billy goat vs Q comparisons I could find on this thread and online. Anyone care to compare where the BG shines vs where the Q shines? Particularly which one feels more loose vs locked in and thrives in open terrain or tighter trees. Any general comparisons also appreciated.

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

I don’t have too much direct comparison experience but I’d say one of the bigger differences will be the goats will float a decent amount more and accept more tip pressure. The goats are also a decent amount more damp than the enduro layup, but also a lot heavier so less easy to physically whip around. Qs better on hardpack and carving, probably likes the fall line a bit more but are easier to break loose? The Q is weird/awesome that way. I find my 182cm Q Is considerably easier to ski, pivot, and turn quickly compared to my brothers slightly older 186cm goats - but they’re 5cm shorter.

That being said, I actually think an awesome 3 ski quiver would be:

~100mm ski for hardpack days.
    ~Qs for up to 6 inches fresh, and in days after storm. Sized down potentially, they ski long
    ~New Gen Cease and Desists as pow day skis

I have this quiver (plus other skis though because I’m a hoarder) and love it. Not a ton of overlap between a short (182cm Q with heavy/carbon/veneer layup) and 189cm 2019 C&D

Honestly my only criticism of the Q as a pow ski is I find it tip dives in deep/wet snow if I’m too forward, but that’s at least partially because I sized down. Driving with Ball of foot pressure and it’s golden.

meter-man - I'm on the 188. I was considering the 194 but got a good deal on a used 188. I don't think I've skied faster through chop on anything before - the 188 trucks. Considerably more damp than a 190 bibby or 192 standard gpo.

I'm keeping my protests, but you know how the year has been here in tahoe...

Pivots at 317 if you are ever around the wood or rose

Love these skis more and more every day. Finally got them in some decent depth powder , was a 17in storm but caught a couple rope drops day after so settled down a bit less that that. Im on 188 flex 4 Enduro / veneer mounted on the line. Zero tip dive to speak of. Likes fall line but super easy to throw sideways in tighter spaces. The best thing about these as a resort pow ski is they are absolutely fantastic in soft chop and crud. And the longer inside edge makes them a decent groomer ski for it's width. If you needed a wide travel ski, these fit the bill. Obv not as flexible as something 108-110 ish but still great

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I don’t have too much direct comparison experience but I’d say one of the bigger differences will be the goats will float a decent amount more and accept more tip pressure. The goats are also a decent amount more damp than the enduro layup, but also a lot heavier so less easy to physically whip around. Qs better on hardpack and carving, probably likes the fall line a bit more but are easier to break loose? The Q is weird/awesome that way. I find my 182cm Q Is considerably easier to ski, pivot, and turn quickly compared to my brothers slightly older 186cm goats - but they’re 5cm shorter.

That being said, I actually think an awesome 3 ski quiver would be:

~100mm ski for hardpack days.
    ~Qs for up to 6 inches fresh, and in days after storm. Sized down potentially, they ski long
    ~New Gen Cease and Desists as pow day skis

I have this quiver (plus other skis though because I’m a hoarder) and love it. Not a ton of overlap between a short (182cm Q with heavy/carbon/veneer layup) and 189cm 2019 C&D

Honestly my only criticism of the Q as a pow ski is I find it tip dives in deep/wet snow if I’m too forward, but that’s at least partially because I sized down. Driving with Ball of foot pressure and it’s golden.
    It doesn’t help that the mount dot is super far forward. I can’t remember exactly but I think I’m at -3 and don’t have that problem.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Read through as many of the billy goat vs Q comparisons I could find on this thread and online. Anyone care to compare where the BG shines vs where the Q shines? Particularly which one feels more loose vs locked in and thrives in open terrain or tighter trees. Any general comparisons also appreciated.
    For reference:
    BG - 2011/2012 191 (first year with res, but bigger and I think heavier than current by a little bit, also just less polished). Mounted on the line because I'm not a complete asshole.
    Quixote - stock 188 flex 4 nylon. Mounted ... either on the line or -1, nothing dramatic.
    Me - 6'2", 230#, total fucking hack.

BG floats more in deep. I don't notice, or care, in less than deep snow. After a few days of snow, I'd take the BGs. after any moderate amount of fresh, I don't really mind. Taken both cat skiing, and I was perfectly content with the BG, not really with the Q. Q wasn't bad, just didn't float as much as I would hope for its dimensions.

In soft chop, and not-super deep snow, or any post-storm-day stuff that isn't too heavy, I prefer the Quixote. It floats well enough, and it's a little livelier. I find it a bit more maneuverable, while giving up basically nothing, if the snow is mid-deep and soft.

In heavy chop (tahoe storms where the snow was all around freezing, or there's some refreezing going on) the BG shines. It doesn't care. It will still float, cruise, pivot, all that good stuff. The Quixotes can get knocked around a bit. Not terribly, they're reasonably stable, but enough that the BG is meaningfully better.

In totally shitfucked snow, the BGs are just better. way better. Came out onto some completely refrozen 3d snow way too hot on them once or twice, freaked out, but it was fine.

Qs are a lot better on groomers, and hard snow where you want an edge. Basically, they edge better.

IDK, I'm taking the Qs on a trip, but paired with Protests. If I took the BGs, I would bring a narrower ski as the second ski.

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    For reference:
    BG - 2011/2012 191 (first year with res, but bigger and I think heavier than current by a little bit, also just less polished). Mounted on the line because I'm not a complete asshole.
    Quixote - stock 188 flex 4 nylon. Mounted ... either on the line or -1, nothing dramatic.
    Me - 6'2", 230#, total fucking hack.

BG floats more in deep. I don't notice, or care, in less than deep snow. After a few days of snow, I'd take the BGs. after any moderate amount of fresh, I don't really mind. Taken both cat skiing, and I was perfectly content with the BG, not really with the Q. Q wasn't bad, just didn't float as much as I would hope for its dimensions.

In soft chop, and not-super deep snow, or any post-storm-day stuff that isn't too heavy, I prefer the Quixote. It floats well enough, and it's a little livelier. I find it a bit more maneuverable, while giving up basically nothing, if the snow is mid-deep and soft.

In heavy chop (tahoe storms where the snow was all around freezing, or there's some refreezing going on) the BG shines. It doesn't care. It will still float, cruise, pivot, all that good stuff. The Quixotes can get knocked around a bit. Not terribly, they're reasonably stable, but enough that the BG is meaningfully better.

In totally shitfucked snow, the BGs are just better. way better. Came out onto some completely refrozen 3d snow way too hot on them once or twice, freaked out, but it was fine.

Qs are a lot better on groomers, and hard snow where you want an edge. Basically, they edge better.

IDK, I'm taking the Qs on a trip, but paired with Protests. If I took the BGs, I would bring a narrower ski as the second ski.
    Thanks for the comparison. Seems like the Q does much better all-mountain/one ski quiver vs the BG that is more a pow oriented. From what I'm reading, the BG floats better than its underfoot would suggest and the Protest does better on bumps/groomers than its width would suggest. So maybe the better comparison to the BG would be the Protest?

For me (I think there's plenty of variation of opinion, and my weight plays a role in my view, changing up float and how easy a ski feels).

BG is really good at heavy chop/variable snow. Like, too good.

Quixote will go further into hard snow. Quixote is still a wide ski, I'd never choose it if snow is mostly hard, I'd ride a narrower ski.

It's about the kind of snow, and how I'm feeling. For the days after a maritime storm, I'm probably leaning BG. For the days after a lighter snow storm (or the two storms we had in tahoe this year), I'm leaning Quixote. for a pure powder ski, I'd take the protest (though lots of people prefer the C&D). If I want to ski quite hard, I prefer the BG. Quixote is no noodle, but I find it more playful.

They're not night-and-day different skis, they're in the same category, and most of the differences are kinda subtle.

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    It doesn’t help that the mount dot is super far forward. I can’t remember exactly but I think I’m at -3 and don’t have that problem.
    I only mounted -.75 behind the line, I’d probably go back to -1.5 or -2 if I could.

Brundo, I would not compare BG to Protest. While the Protests are more versatile than their waist width suggests, and the BG’s float better than their waist width suggests, they are pretty different skis and have very different strengths.

BG ~ = Quixote

C&D ~ = Protest

Those are the comparisons I’d make. I do not personally think the Protests do very well on groomers or bumps. They’re a pow and variable/chopped up pow ski, and great soft snow tree ski. Anything hardpack (bumps, groomers) and I’m not much of a fan. Older BG’s are also bad on hardpack, but newer gen is a lot better. Q still wins by a decent amount there

Even as far back as they’re mounted I don’t feel like I’m giving up anything in terms of maneuverability.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I consider my Qs as my all mountain driver. It just behaves like a much narrower ski; charges and floats a bit. I don’t feel like there’s 118 under my feet when I’m throwing it around; it does lock into larger arcs but easy to release. Takes the place of a 100-110 daily ski. Best carving 118 ski? Large sweet spot.