Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Thom, what do/did you do for a living?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I used to be in IT, but now I design turntables and vacuum tube amplifiers.

I've never been able to accurately find the center with the origami method. Always close, but no cigar.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    genius, was fighting that last week.
    My thoughts as well, sometimes this place (Thom) makes me feel full blown stoopid...
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

If I were smart, I would have engineered a situation where I spend more time on skis ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I really enjoyed sharing/comparing mounting techniques with you last Spring.
    Same here. Twas neat to exchange ideas. One of the more anal-retentive mounts, but we got those race bindings down to sub-mm precision. Pretty sure you'd need a CNC machine to do better.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by pembyguy View Post

Decisions... sth or fks.
    Quixote 182 heavy carbon red gum black bases.

Unfuqnreal!

Very good looking skis - wow

Received my ticket to the Q club today in 194. Stock edition, the ash veneer is noticeably darker/richer than some of the images I've seen going around - in a good way. Either that or they just look better in person.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Either that or they just look better in person.
    They always do. Bet they'll ski better than they look too. Good one mang

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I used to be in IT, but now I design turntables and vacuum tube amplifiers.

I've never been able to accurately find the center with the origami method. Always close, but no cigar.

... Thom
    Yeah. Origami is close enough for a rough centerline. Then I get very nitpicky with a caliper to center punch.

Which is how I mounted my Qs. They seem spot on.

Good to know that my symmetric ski mount methods work for asym skis. Especially since that's how billy goats are made now.

Struggling with FOMO in the super goat thread.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Struggling with FOMO in the super goat thread.
    Tell me about it...! It is taking everything I have not to order a pair of those bad boys... If I did not have 194 Qs I would be all over those SGs, but no way can I justify it... Well maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Tell me about it...! It is taking everything I have not to order a pair of those bad boys... If I did not have 194 Qs I would be all over those SGs, but no way can I justify it... Well maybe...
    Dude. I can justify anything. I was truly impressed with myself getting my quiver down to 3 pairs last year. Doubt it'll last long. I want some C and D's for the La Niña December.

194's weigh 2250g avg each
    [Adding weight to help others after receiving mine]

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Combed thread. Any in person weigh-in's on the 194? Stock issue prefered

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

Wow they are barely heavier than my 187 skinny Qs.

bumper cars!

page 5! Are Quixotes not even cool anymore? I haven't even mounted mine.

My Freerides are -1.5cm which I like. I'll ask Keith up any reason to anything different?

My Freerides have minor top sheet chipping which I didn't expect, anyone try rounding out the sidewall/topsheet with an orbital sander? I've done this on other skis with success.

Skins on Qs - I haven't cut my Scalas yet. It looks like the tail clip may want to slide of the tail do to the aysm design. Anyone notch the tails or cut the skins aysm so the tail clips sits square?

Which topsheet?

On my pre2016 praxis I would use a dremel stone grinding bit to round the topsheet edges

Which topsheet?
    Regular? Not veneer is I think what you are asking. I believe the ski nerds would call it nylon.

Then yes definitely take a dremel to it and round the edges. Super easy

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    bumper cars!

page 5! Are Quixotes not even cool anymore? I haven't even mounted mine.

My Freerides are -1.5cm which I like. I'll ask Keith up any reason to anything different?

My Freerides have minor top sheet chipping which I didn't expect, anyone try rounding out the sidewall/topsheet with an orbital sander? I've done this on other skis with success.

Skins on Qs - I haven't cut my Scalas yet. It looks like the tail clip may want to slide of the tail do to the aysm design. Anyone notch the tails or cut the skins aysm so the tail clips sits square?
    Late season start for me, but just cleared for takeoff by my surgeon, and I'm really psyched to try my Q's. They're still cool to me ;-)

Keith said to mount my Q's the way I like my GPOs which was both at -1 (Wardens) and later at -1.75 (Vipecs).

He agreed that my departed Freerides are more of a traditional mount and that I did right (for me) by mounting them on the line.

I have inserts installed in my Q's for both Pivots and Vipecs, although the latter are as a fall back (for travel quiver). I'm thinking that I'd need either the G3 twin tip tail piece, or to file/grind a tail clip notch. I haven't asked Keith about this yet (is it all synthetic material at the rear 1" of tail as I suspect).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I am taking out my skinny Q’s right meow!

Not the best day for them, but worth it for trying out there “all mtn” potential

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 11-21-2017 at 06:13 PM.

I’ve skinned about 7k total over 3-4 days on my q. The skin doesn’t sit squarely on the tail, but the sts tail clip only came off once in that time. don’t think it’s worth worrying about.

2 runs in, Wow! These are phenomenal skis. I am skiing slush, and they rock.

Definitely a little center mounted, I can feel the tail a little bit more than I like, but only by like 10%. Probably should have gone -1cm from recommended, but it’s not worth worrying about at this point.

Light, stable, playful, and chargey.. I might like these better than my old Viciks as a do-it-all type ski.

Will take a little time to get used to asym, the outside edge is definitely “turny”, but I can see the benefit in this type of design.

2 runs in, Wow! These are phenomenal skis. I am skiing slush, and they rock.

Definitely a little center mounted, I can feel the tail a little bit more than I like, but only by like 10%. Probably should have gone -1cm from recommended, but it’s not worth worrying about at this point.

Light, stable, playful, and chargey.. I might like these better than my old Viciks as a do-it-all type ski.

Will take a little time to get used to asym, the outside edge is definitely “turny”, but I can see the benefit in this type of design.

What layup and flex did you get? I'm sure is somewhere in this thread but to lazy to look. Thinking of skinny Q's as a everyday ski. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Started to figure out the shape and mount point after 4th and 5th laps, and the skis feel great. Definitely keepers.

The most surprising thing is their ease of initiation in funky, crusty snow. Almost as easy as On3ps RES in those types of conditions. Not quite as loose, but then on the other side of things, they have much better edge grip on firm.

After getting used to it, I actually like the slightly forward mount position. I normally like either centered, or traditional (-9cm or more behind center), and rarely feel comfortable in between. However I feel very comfortable on these. Took me a few runs though..

They are pretty damp for only 2200g/ski, the maple and ash core in #4 flex is nice and stable, yet not too burly to mess around on. They feel great in the air and the landing platform is very inspiring.

This feels like a ski you dont just get onto and figure out..I could tell instantly that I was going to enjoy it, but it took me half a day to start to really understand it. I believe this ski needs two or three days to really show it’s true potential under your feet. It’s a little “different”, but it works really well.

I like it so much, that I am interested in it’s big brother 118mm regular Quixotes. Definitely want to stick with Maple/Ash though, and maybe go #5 flex instead of #4.

All in all, I am very happy with this design. Could end up being daily drivers! Now I gotta try my new Rx’s!

Quote Originally Posted by johnykim View Post
    What layup and flex did you get? I'm sure is somewhere in this thread but to lazy to look. Thinking of skinny Q's as a everyday ski. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I went 187cm, heavy layup, #4 flex. I am 6’3” 205lbs nekkid.

I definitely need more time on them

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 12-16-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Trees and directional jibbing included..
    TGR Forums
    Kinda thought this was going to be the case as well but in reality they are stoopid easy to ski and land backwards, these sticks just flat out deliver
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Kinda thought this was going to be the case as well but in reality they are stoopid easy to ski and land backwards, these sticks just flat out deliver
    You thought what was going to be the case?? I just had a few beers and can’t connect the dots. You thought they couldnt ski switch, or you thought to go shorter than normal?

They definitely deliver! I just want to ski them everyday now, but I have other skis I have to try! Rx’s will be tried tomorrow..