Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 675 of 819
  1. #651
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    6,917
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I saw dont reinvent the wheel, but here I am reading about the skiing Qs and have trouble finding a 105-110 wide ski I like, and wondering if the skiing Q would be it. Heavy, carbon, flex 5, veneer, the works. I just don’t think it would be a good go between from the Kastle MX 98 and my pow skis, the super Freerides, Protests and Qs.
    Skinny RX? That ski looks awesome to me. Wish I could find a pair around me to try.

  2. #652
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,764
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Skinny RX? That ski looks awesome to me. Wish I could find a pair around me to try.
    I was thinking more of the skinny Q. The skinny RX would be too short for my liking.

  3. #653
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    6,917
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I was thinking more of the skinny Q. The skinny RX would be too short for my liking.
    Ah. 194 skinny Q, gotcha. You’re pretty big right?

  4. #654
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,107

    Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

    I shoulda went 194 on my skinny Q, but I have sold every asym ski I have ever owned..Couldnt quite click with them.

    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #655
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    679

    Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

    Anyone want my pair of 194cm, 4 flex, heavy core maple veneer? Probably have 15 days on them. Mounted with Jester Pros but can sell flat. I love the skis but am recovering from an injury so need something lighter for the season. Thinking $450 shipped w/out bindings but I haven’t researched much so let me know if that price is off. PM me if you’re interested


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  6. #656
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,623
    Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Still think a CCR RX would be dope


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'm sportin' wood over these 132uf CCR Protests(aka Hybrids, fukn thanks flyman) they're gonna be dope!:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181125_072544458_HDR.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	587.2 KB 
ID:	257233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181125_072417240.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	257237
    If they were 192, I think I'd be suffering priapism!

  7. #657
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I'm sportin' wood over these 132uf CCR Protests(aka Hybrids, fukn thanks flyman) they're gonna be dope!:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181125_072544458_HDR.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	587.2 KB 
ID:	257233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181125_072417240.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	257237
    If they were 192, I think I'd be suffering priapism!
    Those look so freaking cool

  8. #658
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Those look so freaking cool
    Why yes.
    Yes they do

  9. #659
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,102

    Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I'm sportin' wood over these 132uf CCR Protests(aka Hybrids, fukn thanks flyman) they're gonna be dope!:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181125_072544458_HDR.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	587.2 KB 
ID:	257233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181125_072417240.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	257237
    If they were 192, I think I'd be suffering priapism!
    Holeeeeyy SHEEEEIT! Those be SICK AF!!!
    I want some, RIGHT NOW!!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

  10. #660
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    whistler
    Posts
    965
    instantly wondering why i didn't try to get protests with ccr. thanks for that...

  11. #661
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,846
    If you want a CCR, just get the Powderboards

  12. #662
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    1,038
    Is CCR still an option on the Praxis site?

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

  13. #663
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    If you want a CCR, just get the Powderboards
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.,......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181126_165950210.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	526.6 KB 
ID:	257324
    K

  14. #664
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.,......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181126_165950210.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	526.6 KB 
ID:	257324
    K
    What flex and core are those?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #665
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    What flex and core are those?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Both pair from before that being an option

  16. #666
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    ahead
    Posts
    38
    Let us know how you like them Q's!

    Read the whole thread, but I'm still super curious to hear more comparisons between the Quixote, GPO, and Billy Goat.
    Priorities in order: float in untracked, afternoon chopped pow performance, day 2 leftovers and variable snow.

    Choosing between these three as the inbounds powder ski to complement my daily driver 105's.

  17. #667
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    ahead
    Posts
    38
    PS. I thought I'd share some info I got from Keith here so that he isn't forced to answer virtually the same questions individually by email:

    Comparing the GPO and RX:

    The GPO has more rocker and tip and tail taper, so its more slarvy, not the type of ski that rails a carve but instead its surfy and quick to pivot and smear. So pretty ideal for a powder ski, but not as versatile as something like the RX that can lay an edge an rail a carve on the groomer.

    The RX is a great powder ski but with a more conventional shape/design, longer sidecut run length and bigger turn radius. So the RX is more all mountain, something that you can rail turns at speed on the groomer or ski deep powder. The larger turn radius and fact that the tail is 16 mm narrower than the tip makes the ski float and perform well in powder, not as surfy as the GPO but a great powder ski.

    I like both of them, and have gone back and forth on what ones I like better. For a pure powder ski I lean towards the GPO for its surfy and easy to pivot nature. But for an all around ski I go for the RX, if I was traveling and could only take one pair I’d grab the RX and go. From what you said about wanting it to be stable and rail crud, and ski the groomer it sounds like the RX would be the choice.

    Where the Quixote sits in the evolution:

    I often refer to the Quixote as the hybrid of the two, being that it has a longer inside sidecut length and taper on the outside edges it combines the skiing styles of the RX and GPO. The Quixote has pretty big turn on the inside edges carving but when skied in a two foot platform in the powder it really starts to loosen up and slarve.

    I think the GPO really has the most float of the bunch, the tips fat point is brought in and elongated over a bigger area, so that gives it more float than the RX and Quixote.

    The most traditional mount point is the RX, and the design allows it to be mounted back more. The Quixote would probably be next and then the GPO is more forward on the mount and stance feel.

  18. #668
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    Let us know how you like them Q's!

    Read the whole thread, but I'm still super curious to hear more comparisons between the Quixote, GPO, and Billy Goat.
    Priorities in order: float in untracked, afternoon chopped pow performance, day 2 leftovers and variable snow.

    Choosing between these three as the inbounds powder ski to complement my daily driver 105's.
    Never owned or skied the “Q” but have owned two pairs of GPO’s and several Billy Goats. I just read what you shared from Keith about the GPO and I have to admit. That was not my experience on the ski. Do they float? Yes. Are they loose in deep snow? A little. They carve deep snow more than slarve. I felt like the tip shape facilitates that but that the forward mount and very flat tail work against getting the float I wanted in deep snow. I always thought “I wish I had more tail rocker on the GPO. Then it would be a better powder ski.”

    However...the design a just described is closer to the Billy Goat. RES up from helps with float and keeps it loose and the rocker profile and pin tail amplify that feeling/capability. For the PNW and deep and dense coastal snow we get, I have yet to find a better powder ski than the BG. That being said, I can see someone liking the GPO better in a locale where (1) the snow is lighter and (2) there is more time between storms and all-mtn ability is a stronger consideration.

    Finally, before I get accused of being an ON3P fanboy, I want to go on record saying that I hated the first Gen Billy Goat. It is one of the WORST skis I have ever tried. The guys refined the ski over a few iterations (a big part of that being less camber and adding RES) and now they make my favorite skis. Go figure.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  19. #669
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Never owned or skied the “Q” but have owned two pairs of GPO’s and several Billy Goats. I just read what you shared from Keith about the GPO and I have to admit. That was not my experience on the ski. Do they float? Yes. Are they loose in deep snow? A little. They carve deep snow more than slarve. I felt like the tip shape facilitates that but that the forward mount and very flat tail work against getting the float I wanted in deep snow. I always thought “I wish I had more tail rocker on the GPO. Then it would be a better powder ski.”

    However...the design a just described is closer to the Billy Goat. RES up from helps with float and keeps it loose and the rocker profile and pin tail amplify that feeling/capability. For the PNW and deep and dense coastal snow we get, I have yet to find a better powder ski than the BG. That being said, I can see someone liking the GPO better in a locale where (1) the snow is lighter and (2) there is more time between storms and all-mtn ability is a stronger consideration.

    Finally, before I get accused of being an ON3P fanboy, I want to go on record saying that I hated the first Gen Billy Goat. It is one of the WORST skis I have ever tried. The guys refined the ski over a few iterations (a big part of that being less camber and adding RES) and now they make my favorite skis. Go figure.
    You try those BroTests yet?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  20. #670
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    2,534

    Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

    Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    Let us know how you like them Q's!

    Read the whole thread, but I'm still super curious to hear more comparisons between the Quixote, GPO, and Billy Goat.
    Priorities in order: float in untracked, afternoon chopped pow performance, day 2 leftovers and variable snow.

    Choosing between these three as the inbounds powder ski to complement my daily driver 105's.
    I may have stated something similar earlier in this thread, but my take...

    Float in untracked:
    BG > Quixote = GPO. I don’t think the Q or GPO float any differently. Note - I mounted at -1. The RES tip and near pintail on the BG makes them float better than you would expect for their waist size.

    Afternoon Chop.
    BG > Q > GPO. None of them suck. My Q and GPO were MAP cores, not the heavy hitter, so take that into account. But, IMO, there is not a ski that can equal the BG in chop.

    Day 2/variable snow.

    Well...how do you ski variable snow?

    Are you full Candide? Billy goat.

    Are you picking your way through it carefully, scrubbing speed, and skiing it like a mogul field? GPO is the easiest of the bunch to ski slowly. I also think it’s the most nimble of the bunch.

    Do you do some of both? Q.

    I have owned all 3. I currently own 2 Billy goats, 1 steeple 116, and 1 cease and a desist.

    I no longer own a Q or a GPO. Though I definitely would if then need or quiver spot opened.

    So I guess I’m living my own opinions.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

  21. #671
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,846

    Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

    ^ I agree with pretty much everything Chicken said, but I personally prefer my Qs for the way I ski. I was on 187 Enduro GPOs for two seasons, Have skied goats about 4 days in a variety of conditions, and now have 4 days on my Qs. So take my opinions for what you will

    I have skied my brothers 2015 186 BG sparingly. I like my 182 Heavy/Carbon/Veneer/4 Flex Qs better than the Goats or my old 187 Enduro GPOs for the way I ski.

    Few things to note. The goats weigh a lot more than the GPOs or Quixote’s would in an equivalent size. 1+ lb compared to enduro core, probably ~.4 lbs comparing to heavy/carbon core. I felt the 186 goats could be a bit unwieldy at times to whip around quickly simply because of their weight. Many will disagree with me on the unwieldy comment, but their swing weight is higher. They definitely require you to be more on your game with good athletic stance and form, or they’ll kick your ass a bit if you’re backseat. GPOs and Qs a little more forgiving in that regard. The goats are very quick to, well, billy goat around. The Qs like the fall line more and a more surfy linked turn style. For me the shorter length Q helps me ‘Billygoat’ them anyways though. The 188 Q (essentially same length as the 186 BG) would surely be more of a handful. I’m shorter (5’9) so in general I have less leverage over the tips, so the swing weight might be less of an issue for taller guys.

    I’d be interested to compare my 182 Qs to the 2019 179 BGs, which would be a better comparison.

    Older goats are not fun on hardpack imo. New ones fixed this to a degree it seems. GPOs were the best of the 3 IMO. Easy to make any turn shape on hard snow. Quixote’s have a larger inner radius and like a little speed to carve, but do well. If you engage the underfoot in a sort slashy two-footed style (vs leaning forward carve) they can pivot and make short radius turns to shut down speed. This is how I ski most of the time so I like this.

    I also prefer the Qs over GPOs and BGs in moguls. None of them excel there and aren’t design too, but I really enjoy soft bumps that have a little space on the Qs.

    Goats definitely float better. Float is the one disappointment of the GPO and Quixote for skis this size. I think the Quixote’s float a little better personally than the GPOs, but I haven’t had much time on them in deep. Big lines in deep snow I’d choose BG for sure.

    The goats still ‘win’ in chop and heavy cut up snow for the most stability and least deflection, but I really, really like the heavy Praxis layup with carbon and veneer (better than ON3P layup honestly). Little more lively, still cuts through chop excellently. Best balance between weight, pop, and dampness.

    Enduro gets thrown around with some chatter for sure. Was not much of a fan in heavy cut up snow or refrozen. Really good layup for soft 3D snow and spring slush though

  22. #672
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,809
    Interesting notes about the Q’s float. I thought my -10 188s floated awesome for their size and width. But my pow skis are almost all Hoji designs which ain’t the greatest floataz

  23. #673
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    602
    Page 27 delivers big time! Quality posts guys - answered a few questions I've had ever since I first stated considering buying some Qs

  24. #674
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    407
    Qs have been on my feet more than anything else the last 2.5 seasons. 188. 190 bibbys have been my go to ski but these are getting way more days than my bibbys now. I don’t have to think at all when I ski them and that is probably the biggest thing in that I look for in a ski. That’s why I have enjoyed bibbys for so long. They never do anything weird and are very predictable. More loose in the trees than anything else I own (haven’t skied protests yet), can carve like the bibby, and can stand on them through crud. Only time I’ve had trouble is on the deepest days in low angle terrain. That pushed me to pick up protests. Mounted on the line. -1 may have helped mean the deep/flat but they are perfect everywhere else on the line. I’m surprised they aren’t more popular.

  25. #675
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Qs have been on my feet more than anything else the last 2.5 seasons. 188. 190 bibbys have been my go to ski but these are getting way more days than my bibbys now. I don’t have to think at all when I ski them and that is probably the biggest thing in that I look for in a ski. That’s why I have enjoyed bibbys for so long. They never do anything weird and are very predictable. More loose in the trees than anything else I own (haven’t skied protests yet), can carve like the bibby, and can stand on them through crud. Only time I’ve had trouble is on the deepest days in low angle terrain. That pushed me to pick up protests. Mounted on the line. -1 may have helped mean the deep/flat but they are perfect everywhere else on the line. I’m surprised they aren’t more popular.
    I feel the exact same way about mine. Super easy to do just about anything although haven't had them in really deep yet

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •