Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    I went max on nylon. Love the brightness.

Veneer looks pretty awesome though....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I went max on nylon. Love the brightness.

Veneer looks pretty awesome though....

Definitely a fun pattern. My wife "made" me get it, and I'm glad she did.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I feel your pain. We've all fallen "victim" to Keith's evil genius marketing tactics and increased popularity. Last year's skis came in early August.

The semi-pintail has me wondering if I can go slightly further forward (.25cm?) and still keep those tips up. It has to count for something.

Edit: I didn't think about comparing them to the BG's. When I stand the 184 BGs & the Q's on the floor, the Q's dot is maybe .25cm ahead of the BG's. If I center the two skis (so the BG overhangs the Q by 1cm at both tip and tail), then the Q's dot is about 1.25cm in front of the BG's mounting line.

... Thom
    I'm not really up to date on the numbers on the Q or BG ATM other than I thought the bg had a semi pin tail leaning and knew you have them. That was my experience with the exp. different end of the ski spectrum but kind of a semi pin tail and my initial mount of -1 was a mistake . They're $ on the dimple. Maybe the only praxis I've been on the dimple(forgetting my yeti and bc mounts at this point)

The BG's tail shape more closely resembles that of the GPO. They're both less pintail-ish than the Q's tail.

Based on the the BG comparison (thanks for mentioning it) and all of the other comments, -1cm is making more and more sense. I'm getting real close to taking a drill to them, but will no doubt waffle around for a few more days. Gotta get 'em on the WROD - even if that's not their home terrain.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-29-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    Galibier Design

I wouldn't call those a pintail at all. And those look great!
    but, I'd like to point out that this has you now considering moves of .25cm .... (that's 1/4 of a centimeter ... over a 182cm ski)
    I'd say mount on the mark.

... Thom
    Very kewl!

I feel your pain. We've all fallen "victim" to Keith's evil genius marketing tactics and increased popularity. Last year's skis came in early August.

The semi-pintail has me wondering if I can go slightly further forward (.25cm?) and still keep those tips up. It has to count for something.

Edit: I didn't think about comparing them to the BG's. When I stand the 184 BGs & the Q's on the floor, the Q's dot is about .2cm ahead of the BG's. If I center the two skis (so the BG overhangs the Q by 1cm at both tip and tail), then the Q's dot is about 1.2cm in front of the BG's mounting line.

... Thom
    I'm on the 191 BG line, and -1 on the 188 Q. So that checks out.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

All this mounting behind the dimple talk. I mounted mine +1.5 cm.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I wouldn't call those a pintail at all. And those look great!
    but, I'd like to point out that this has you now considering moves of .25cm .... (that's 1/4 of a centimeter ... over a 182cm ski)
    I'd say mount on the mark.
    I aim to entertain ... at my own expense ;-)

I definitely meant pintail-"ish", and having no experience with true pintail designs, I have no clue as to how little the tail design will help the tips stay up. That's where the .25cm comes in and I confess to laughing as I keyed in that number. It's mainly an attempt to keep track of several sub-threshold changes in the event that they add up to something that's actually noticeable.

At the end of the day, my mounting preferences have lined up with those of SupreChicken, ShuShu and adrenalated (to name but three).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Good looking skis, gentlemen. Very good.

These photos have me reconsidering my plans for a -10 Protest for next year's sale. Playful charger - tick!

The Quixote kept me from buying the chickentest (-10mm protest).

You'all sure do got some purty skis

I think I've been looking at this backwards. If I view it from the perspective of a Fritschi (touring) mount, we know it will definitely be for soft snow and I'm extremely unlikely to want to go further forward than -1.0. This would give me the latitude to mount the Looks as far back as -1
    ^^^^this^^^^
    I have my 188's -1 and adore them there, would not go farther back though and def not for resort. If I was trying to fit 2 inserted mounts I probly move up my alpine mount so my touring mount wouldn't be more than -1.5, -2 at the most. My gpo's are @ -2 as my dedicated bc rig and they're great there but every time I'm on the resort when it's not uber soft I really wish I was A LOT closer to the dimple, thanks to my quiver whoreishness it's not something I have to deal with and they get to stay in the bc. Just saying my input for your thought process is that I think the q's would be great on the line and would veer closer to that than farther back from it, those sticks are seriously fuckin dialed
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Working it the other way (thinking about where the Vipecs would mount first), gave me a moment of clarity. I'm getting out the drill later today for Pivots at -1.

Basically I'm ok with drilling the Pivots at -1, accepting the possibility of moving them to 0 (doubtful as this might be). It allows for Vipec/Evo/Tectons as far forward as -1 which I'm confident is soft-snow friendly.

I was fighting a cold yesterday and since I felt completely non-productive, I amused myself by re-reading the massive GPO thread. It was interesting to watch the evolution of everyone's mount points - particularly refreshing my memory on how SupreChicken, ShuShu, and Dane1's thought process evolved (along with folks like adrenalated's approach).

I knew my stance on skis parallels theirs, but following their exploration of the GPO's mount points gave me even more confidence to relate SupreChicken's, Shu Shu's and eskido's observations about the Quixotes to my preferences.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-01-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    Galibier Design

I aim to entertain ... at my own expense ;-)
    It's mainly an attempt to keep track of several sub-threshold changes in the event that they add up to something that's actually noticeable.
    ... Thom
    Thom this is easily one of my favorite things ever written about a mounting point; it's definitely signature worthy

Watching all these sick Qs showing up is slowly killing my resolve not to be a dick and start emailing Keith...are they ready yet? are they ready yet? I mean people are legitimately skiing in North America now right and the WROD is only weeks away in the northeast. What would would an opening day be without a ridiculously fat ski on an ice carpet?

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Thom this is easily one of my favorite things ever written about a mounting point; it's definitely signature worthy

Watching all these sick Qs showing up is slowly killing my resolve not to be a dick and start emailing Keith...are they ready yet? are they ready yet? I mean people are legitimately skiing in North America now right and the WROD is only weeks away in the northeast. What would would an opening day be without a ridiculously fat ski on an ice carpet?
    Ya know, this is the first year I'm actually thinking about taking a new pair of skis out on the WROD. I really need to experience them on something other than a carpet ;-)

That was definitely an attempt at self-effacing humor, but I also wanted to point out that I think we can sometimes overlook the synergistic effect of multiple changes that individually might be trivial. Balancing this against OCD tendencies can surely be a challenge however.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Ever think about getting some Marker Schizos?? I know they have more moving parts to go wrong, but I'm sure they would be fine as long as your not beating the crap out of them.

I mean, then you would actually KNOW exactly where you like them. Instead of speculating.

Im going to mount mu skinny Qs right on the line, since theyre going to be daily drivers. -6.5 sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Ever think about getting some Marker Schizos?? I know they have more moving parts to go wrong, but I'm sure they would be fine as long as your not beating the crap out of them.

I mean, then you would actually KNOW exactly where you like them. Instead of speculating.

Im going to mount mu skinny Qs right on the line, since theyre going to be daily drivers. -6.5 sounds perfect.

This is another review I'm quite interested in.

In B4 someone says "they'll be too short"..

No, they wont be.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

Definitely thought about a WTR compatible demo binding (skiing on XT 130 Freetours & Maestrales, so I need WTR compatibility). The Tyrolia is in the mix as well.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Got the email from Keith that my skinny Qs are ready. Will be mounting with demo attacks and frequenting the PNW this winter if others wish to give em a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Joebornstein View Post
    Got the email from Keith that my skinny Qs are ready. Will be mounting with demo attacks and frequenting the PNW this winter if others wish to give em a go.
    I won't be up there this year but would LOVE to here your thoughts!!! My take is that I think they will be fuckin rad!

Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Joebornstein View Post
    Stoked!!

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 10-02-2017 at 08:51 PM.

I got the drill out and went for it: inserts for Pivot-14's at -1cm. While I was at it, I drilled for Vipecs as well (waiting on a refill of inserts from BF, but the WROD isn't opening for a few days).

After drilling, I heard back from Keith. He agrees with y'all - to mount the Quixotes where I love the GPO's (not that there was any doubt by this point).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

my humble contribution - from the 2017 custom sale. Veneer does not show through quite as well on the "Stained Glass Trees" as I thought it might, but I still love them. Quality and finish is amazing. Now to mount and wait for snow!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom Quixote.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	518.3 KB 
ID:	213288

That’s a good locking top sheet.