Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33
    Finally got out on my Quixotes last Friday for a couple of hours. Conditions were firmish refrozen under a few inches of powder. I am fighting a back/sciatica issues with some numb toes. That combined with some windslab in places wasn't a great testing format. When I found fresh smooth powder in the trees these things were magical, so fun. But all the comments about mental seem right. I was overhooking a bit on firm stuff (no detune yet) and they certainly weren't intuitive for me right off the bat. I think with my nerve issues I had too many variables going on frankly. I certainly felt the wow factor at times and I think with a couple more days I will likely be very happy with them. I did have an oh shit moment where I hit several windslab rollers at a pretty high rate of speed one after another and I just tried to keep my legs pistoning as there was no way to stop. The Quixotes handled that situation with aplomb thank god. There were moments where they felt so damn fun, such as rapid firing turns through tight trees in powder. They definitely seemed to switch up faster than the Bibbys. I kind of get the comments about them being slarvy, but having to get them on edge, this was a very unique and awesome feel that I haven't really experienced before. I am going to have a lot of fun on these I can tell, but need to get in top form to appreciate I think.

Today I was out for a full on easy fun factor soft light pow day with a good base and chose to take my Bibbys until I get my sciatica issues straightened out since they are a little more predictable for me. The Bibbys are so intuitive and easy without much thought compared to the Q. But like I said, a lot of factors going on for me right now and I look forward to getting back out and giving the Qs another good round of testing soon. Damn I love to ski, and there are so many good options these days it's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Q 188 4 flex maple:

Left. 2,200g. 4 lb 13.6 oz.
    Right. 2,216g. 4 lb 14.2 oz.

9 3/4 lbs.
    Yes, Enduro. Ambrosia Maple veneer.

Iím still new here.

Well the 194 Qs are about as easy to ski as the 193 Shiros. I was really surprised actually. The Shiros are still easier to pivot, the Qs require you to carve and drive, where the Shiros you can just smoothly slarve around. I want to try a flat camber Q, seems like it would be a perfect replacement for the Shiros.

Any idea of Keith will do that still? Build flat camber skis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Well the 194 Qs are about as easy to ski as the 193 Shiros. I was really surprised actually. The Shiros are still easier to pivot, the Qs require you to carve and drive, where the Shiros you can just smoothly slarve around. I want to try a flat camber Q, seems like it would be a perfect replacement for the Shiros.

Any idea of Keith will do that still? Build flat camber skis

I asked him this year if he could make a CCR RX and he said he could do that with any ski
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    I asked him this year if he could make a CCR RX and he said he could do that with any ski
    Hum... guess I have two months to figure out if itís worth ordering a custom pair now.

Got out on my Quixotes today for only the second time and they were awesome. Tracked up powder with some undisturbed patches here and there, about 4" of new with chopped up firmish underneath but not icy bumps. Lots of soft chop and soft groomers. Bluebird day in the 20s, awesome to warm the bones after numerous sub-zero days.

The Qs destroyed everything and felt very intuitive this go round compared to my first day on them. Used a little more of a relaxed stance and laid off the tips a bit. Very quick turns in the trees and just laid the chop open as long as I pointed them and stayed on my edges. So smooth, so fun!!

Tele NTN mount with boot center on the line, felt perfect.

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

Been basically daily driving mine this year with all the snow weíve been getting and I just absolutely f n dig em. Really really love how a ski this good in pow is still sooooo good when things get tracked and will still rail on groomers. Got em in some really steep trees recently along with some pretty steep bumps (albeit soft) and beyond impressed, just such good all around sticks pretty much anywhere anytime. Never used em on anything boiler but I try to make better decisions than that.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

These are seriously the tale of two skis. In Steamboat they were awesome, I could ski anywhere, anything, just fly around without a care in that world.

I bring them back to Wyoming, the tails hang up on everything, they donít float in pow, and I canít ski them in steeps.

Also, the camber is almost gone. If I ski them too many days in a row, it disappears until I give them a few days rest. Weird?

Thatís super weird. Mine are OG first production run and have a lot of days but theyíre still like new.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Thatís super weird. Mine are OG first production run and have a lot of days but theyíre still like new.
    Iím not sure if itís the camber, itís probably just in my head, but I was really happy after 4 days in Steamboat and now Iím back to grabbing my Shiros over the Qs. Maybe itís because I have a choice, I didnít in Steamboat, only my Qs were with me.

Iíve seen two other pairs that have a ton of days that the camber is gone. I definitely like them more when they donít have any camber, they ski like a fixed Shiro (the stupidly large tip is trimmed down).

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

Mine still seem to have the same amount of camber as new. Iím a big dude too. Maybe Iím not skiing hard enough? Oh well Iím weird I like the camber. My go to skis this season have been some Adrien Coirier coreupts that have a ton of camber. Weíve had a low snow year and the Qs havenít been getting out as much as years past. Got 3 days on them this week and a couple last week though.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Thinking about q's as I need to retire 10 year old bibby's and some thrashed gpo's from daily use.

I've skied lots of days on 190 bibbys and 192 gpo's. I also own protests, so deepest of days is not my concern. Tour on 187 gpo ul for soft snow (which they were damper to be honest)

If I'm reading everything correctly - the q's in a 188 should be comparable to the 'length feel' of a 192 gpo, right?

The q's are gonna charge a bit harder than a gpo, not be as jibby as a bibby (though I've been skiing 2010-11's), track comparably if not better than a bibby in chop, and at -1 not sink in pow if I use them as a travel ski. Does that all sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post

The q's are gonna charge a bit harder than a gpo, not be as jibby as a bibby (though I've been skiing 2010-11's), track comparably if not better than a bibby in chop, and at -1 not sink in pow if I use them as a travel ski. Does that all sound right?
    All true (with the obvious custom build option caveats...)

Sounds right to me

I took my Qs to Steamboat as my one ski travel ski and had a blast. Inbounds and out, hard snow, bumps, trees, pow, all good. Not stunning at anything, but good at everything, which is all I want out of a travel ski.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I took my Qs to Steamboat as my one ski travel ski and had a blast. Inbounds and out, hard snow, bumps, trees, pow, all good. Not stunning at anything, but good at everything, which is all I want out of a travel ski.

skibrd is spot on... I have custom 194 Qs and 192 GPOs... They are my swiss army knives of skiing... I have a load of skis and many of them excel in certain areas/conditions but fall short in other areas... My GPOs and Qs do so many things extremely well and really have no weaknesses...

And yes the Q as a whole charge harder and float better and are def a better big mountain ski that are still not demanding... I still will never give up my GPOs...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Love both my 184 Bibby and 182 Quixote. They both charge hard but are pretty easy to ski. I would say the Quixote is more edgy and the Bibby a little more slarvy with the Quixote edging out the Bibby in chopped up crud as long as you work the edges, so I think your assumptions are good ones sruffian. Both very universal tools as stated by others and both an absolute hoot in powder. I would choose either ski again as a soft snow all-arounder without hesitation.

The Qs for me in deep light Steamboat pow, that storm late Feb/early March that caused the huge slides around Aspen area, were awesome. My Protests might of been better, but they are also 10mm wider and a bit longer. And for the 3 or 5% of pow performance I lost over the Protests, I definitely gained in performance everywhere else. I literally grabbed the Qs each morning and never thought twice about them, partially because I didnít have a choice and partially because I didnít want anything else.

The Qs also saved me in Jackson one day big time. I had my Armada ARV JJ 116s and was getting my ass kicked, it was 6-8in if heavier snow on smoothish ice/crust. I switched to the Qs and they just cut through the heavy stuff like butter.

They really are impressive skis if you just ski them and donít think about the crazy design.