Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Yeah, in the conversation I had with him, I commented that to a certain extent, I can adjust my stance but that I'd always have a preferred one.

I've wondered how much of this preference for a center/forward stance is an "old dog, new tricks" sort of thing vs. the "need" to spend half a season building my leg muscles up differently.

At the end of the day, I'll just stick with what works until proven that I'm missing out on something.

I'm leaving myself open here, 'coz you never know ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Yeah, in the conversation I had with him, I commented that to a certain extent, I can adjust my stance but that I'd always have a preferred one.

I've wondered how much of this preference for a center/forward stance is an "old dog, new tricks" sort of thing vs. the "need" to spend half a season building my leg muscles up differently.

At the end of the day, I'll just stick with what works until proven that I'm missing out on something.

I'm leaving myself open here, 'coz you never know ;-)

... Thom
    Sorry, not Q related, but a general Praxis mount point comment: I am/have been on 190 BCs, 187 Protests, 180 Powder Boards, 187 MVPs, and have always mounted on the dimple - and have never regretted it. I'm more old school racer than modern skier, but all my Praxis have felt perfectly balanced.
    Keith knows his shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Sorry, not Q related, but a general Praxis mount point comment: I am/have been on 190 BCs, 187 Protests, 180 Powder Boards, 187 MVPs, and have always mounted on the dimple - and have never regretted it. I'm more old school racer than modern skier, but all my Praxis have felt perfectly balanced.
    Keith knows his shit!
    Same here Island... I started racing on 207 Lange KR Slaloms and loved 194 Dynastar XXLs, 192 Legend Pros and my all time favorites 191 Katanas and have mounted all my Praxis on the line and loved them all... I know diff strokes, but to me if you have to change the mount point to make the ski perform the way you want it to look for another style ski...

Perfect example - Muggy hit Keith up to to make a 192 Protest as the 196 was to long, but now he is moving the mount point back on the 192... Sure some of Keiths skis you can drive and others you have to have a neutral stance, but there is a reason for it... Just like Blizzards Gunsmoke vs Bodacious...

Rant over and ready for the bullets...

My GPOs are on the line. They float OK when it's deep as long as I ski them with a centered stance. I really want to try -1 but I don't think it's worth putting another set of holes in them.

My Piste Jibs are at -1. They're pretty good there.

I had 192 Protests mounted at -1. I liked the skis a lot but I ended up selling them and bought some 196s to replace them. I haven't mounted the 196s yet so I'm debating whether or not to go on the line or -1.

^^^ THIS ^^^ (@Island Bay and @Undertow) is why I love this place. It makes me look in the mirror.

I have to laugh at myself as I'm the stereotypical OCD guy that I encounter in my day job. I run a small audio company, and my customers are always asking me about adjusting their gear outside the bounds of recommended spec (https://galibierdesign.com/hifi-skiing-01/).

Having said that, I'm coming to the conclusion that in my limited exposure to Praxis skis (a GPO and a Freeride), that they have a fairly wide sweet spot, which is why folks are reporting success at various points (check out the Hoji interview on the Blister podcast). I'll bet that a CCR ski is more touchy as far as sweet spot is concerned.

I can't help but look at Tabke ski the normal stuff (not the impossible stuff I can only dream about). I've moved my pressure point/stance backward a little, but I'll never stand as upright on my skis as he does. Old dog/new trick and all that. Yeah ... I go back to a race stock pair of 1971 Dynamic VR17's in 207 but I'm much more relaxed about things 45 years later ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-24-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    My GPOs are on the line. They float OK when it's deep as long as I ski them with a centered stance. I really want to try -1 but I don't think it's worth putting another set of holes in them.
    I think mine are -1, you're welcome to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I think mine are -1, you're welcome to try them.
    Cool. If there's anything in my quiver that you'd like to try you're welcome to take them for a spin.

It's OCD/angels on the head of a pin time. I got word that my Quixotes are shipping tomorrow. It's officially time to obsess over mount points. Having re-read this thread (and with all due respect to Island Bay and Undertow), I have two takeaways:

1. If you're mounting for floatation (no tip dive) and you're the sort of fellow who likes the GPOs in the -1 to -1.5 range, this is likely where you'd want the Q's mounted, 'coz it's a Tabke ski.
    2. If you're thinking more hard snow, then maybe mount anywhere from -.75 to on the dimple, because the Q has a longer effective edge than the GPO.

I guess I'll toss a coin: heads is -1, tails is -1.5, and if it lands on the edge, I'll go for -1.25, 'coz why would someone mount a 118mm waisted ski for harder snow?

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Where is the dimple on the Q? -8 or so?

I'll report back when they arrive.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I guess I'll toss a coin: heads is -1, tails is -1.5, and if it lands on the edge, I'll go for -1.25, 'coz why would someone mount a 118mm waisted ski for harder snow?

... Thom
    Thom, not sure about you but I ride all of my Praxis skis in inappropriate conditions.... 2 inches of man made snow on top of boiler...that's a legitimate pow day, better grab the GPOs just in case

I will tow Keith's line.

GNU,

I will add this - the GPO def has a more forward mount and skis like it compared to the Q... The Q may not exactly have a traditional mount, but it def skied more traditional then the GPO...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    GNU,

I will add this - the GPO def has a more forward mount and skis like it compared to the Q... The Q may not exactly have a traditional mount, but it def skied more traditional then the GPO...
    Well, this changes everything! The whole "blend of Rx & GPO" thing was in the back of my mind when I mentioned option #2, above. It looks like a couple sets of holes are going in, and one set will work. Then again, maybe I forget about all this, mount at -.75, and just ski.

Consistent with Shu Shu's comments, I find myself comfortable with my GPOs in low tide. What I was trying to say was that if I'm torn between two mount points, the one which floats with my slightly forward stance wins. I'm more comfortable adjusting my stance on a ski for harder snow than I am moving my weight rearward for soft snow.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

So almost a year after starting this thread... I just received notification of delivery of a package that contains my new custom order Q's... now to get home and check 'em out!

PS: bonus points for anyone that can source me a pair of Attack 13's to mount up - must be > 115mm brake!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    GNU,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TGR Forums mobile app
    So...194 Quixote vs 191 Billy Goat? Which is your preference and why?

Also, wrong thread. Why do so many mags like the attack bindings?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post

They work well across the board. I still prefer Pivots though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Do you not? If not, why?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Do you not? If not, why?
    Never tried them. My STH horde has left me in a position to not need to. But they are cheap and seem well liked. I wasn't sure why. If it's just that they work well, that's great.

Still wrong thread --

Attack 14 vs warden?

I like attacks better than STH2, never skied a warden..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

They just landed. The 182's straight pull length is 181. The dimple is at 83.5, so -7.

Looking at the tails, I'm wondering if the balance point for soft snow doesn't have to be as far back. I've never skied a pintail, so I have no reference point for this. I'm leaning more and more toward not going any further back than -.75, but I reserve the right to be influenced by those who have skied these.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-12-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    Galibier Design

Those are stunning, Thom. I love -1 on the 188. So -0.75 should be great. Touring ski yes? You don't want that nose diving.

I never gravitated to the Max design when I saw it on nylon, and then Keith sent an e-mail this Summer with it laid on top of veneer. I miss seeing more of the wood grain, but that's for next year. Before this change to Max, I was looking at all of the beautiful, line drawing based designs (Ibex, Tsunami, etc.), as well as the bare wood variants.

I'm going to start with Pivot-14's but I want to allow for the possibility of Vipecs/Evos/Tectons. This requires a bit of thinking at the toe.

If I go too far back with the Look (say, -1.5) and want to move forward with the Fritschis, say to -1.0) I'll have a problem. That's why I'm thinking -.75 to -1.0 with the Looks.

I think I've been looking at this backwards. If I view it from the perspective of a Fritschi (touring) mount, we know it will definitely be for soft snow and I'm extremely unlikely to want to go further forward than -1.0. This would give me the latitude to mount the Looks as far back as -1.0.

Here's what I mean (layout assumes identical BSL for both mounts - referenced by boot toe position):

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-02-2017 at 01:45 PM.
    Galibier Design

They just landed. The 182's straight pull length is 181. The dimple is at 83.5, so -7.

Looking at the tails, I'm wondering if the balance point for soft snow doesn't have to be as far back. I've never skied a pintail, so I have no reference point for this. I'm leaning more and more toward not going any further back than -.75, but I reserve the right to be influenced by those who have skied these.

... Thom
    duuuuuude good call on the Max. The wait is starting to get to me.

Nice Thom. Every new veneer option I want. Just looking at them makes me ski better, I'm sure.
    Wonder how their semi pin tail compares to your bg and how there boot center lines up. Just a thought. Can't wait to hear more Q on snow reports

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    duuuuuude good call on the Max. The wait is starting to get to me.
    I feel your pain. We've all fallen "victim" to Keith's evil genius marketing tactics and increased popularity. Last year's skis came in early August.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nice Thom. Every new veneer option I want. Just looking at them makes me ski better, I'm sure.
    Wonder how their semi pin tail compares to your bg and how there boot center lines up. Just a thought. Can't wait to hear more Q on snow reports
    The semi-pintail has me wondering if I can go slightly further forward (.25cm?) and still keep those tips up. It has to count for something.

Edit: I didn't think about comparing them to the BG's. When I stand the 184 BGs & the Q's on the floor, the Q's dot is about .2cm ahead of the BG's. If I center the two skis (so the BG overhangs the Q by 1cm at both tip and tail), then the Q's dot is about 1.2cm in front of the BG's mounting line.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-29-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    Galibier Design