Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1548293869.001658.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	266104

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Well shit, was ready to jump on the 182 Quixote after some additional input. $600 yesterday but now back up to $750. Asked if they would honor yesterday's price, hopefully....

I guess I don't understand "two foot skiing", but then I'm a tele luddite so there's that. I try to weight skis equally, wonder how the design affects a tele approach though. Not that it matters if Keith will honor the $600, I'm all in regardless if that's the case.

I'm the outlier as far as float. 182 Qs float much better than my limited experience with my 187 Protests. I had to tail gun my Protests mounted at -1.

Qs float just fine - similarly to my dearly departed BGs.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-23-2019 at 08:50 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Keith honored the sale price, 182 ordered. Thanks all for input, woot!

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I searched the thread but didn't find a direct comparison for the 184 bibby pro to a 182 Q. One left in stock in that size and Keith says the Q would probably ski a bit longer than the bibby. I like the bibby at that length and am not a fan of real long skis. That being said I'm 6' 170ish lbs (closer to 165 right now), anyone skied both in the lengths of interest? Keith prefers the Q in the 182 but I don't know how much he weighs. Probably follow up with him on that but thought I would get some input here first. Am I really missing out by not having an extra 6cm (seems pretty miniscule). I also tour on a 175 BD Route 105 and have no problems with the shorter length. I do tend to prefer steep trees on a powder day when I can get em.
    I had the Blister Bibby Pro a few years ago. I strongly preferred my Praxis skis to it and sold it fast. Damp but not as quick or playful as the Praxis skis being discussed in this thread. YMMV.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

I’m 5’9 185lbs and I am glad I sized down to 182 Q. Good choice

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I’m 5’9 185lbs and I am glad I sized down to 182 Q. Good choice
    I'm liking the reassurances on size, thanks.

I'm liking the reassurances on size, thanks.
    5,11 170. 182. Never felt short to me, and feels more substantial than my 187 GPO or 187 Protest

Thanks Thom,
    I think my main concern would be if I was really limiting the ability to float in powder (understanding of course that they aren't a true powder ski). I certainly don't mind edged turns but don't want to be sinking a tip beyond reasonable (whatever that is, ha).
    Yeah, also remember that this is TGR, where everyone except Cody Townsend thinks they need DIN-16 and 195cm skis ;-) My Qs (with me at 5'9" / 165#) floated very similarly to my 184 BGs and (sacrilege) TONs better than my 187 Protests. Shu Shu has it right.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Yeah, also remember that this is TGR, where everyone except Cody Townsend thinks they need DIN-16 and 195cm skis ;-) My Qs (with me at 5'9" / 165#) floated very similarly to my 184 BGs and (sacrilege) TONs better than my 187 Protests. Shu Shu has it right.

... Thom
    So true, and much of clothing in the swap seems to be XL, so a lot of bigger skiers. I can definitely see sizing up for big open terrain, but I like trees and features to ski through and around before ripping back to the lift. Plus I've learned that sizing down a bit for tele isn't a bad thing (for me at least).

Shipping confirmation says next Tuesday. Hoping so bad to be able to ski these the weekend after I get them, but I'm fighting a pinched nerve in my lower back which has been debilitating as hell.

Hoping to mount them up at least soon after receipt and the nice thing about my bindings is that they are plate mounted and I have 1.5 cm each direction from center to try various locations. I'm thinking I will put the front option at recommended which would allow me 3cm back from there for experimentation. I'm guessing 1.5cm back will be about perfect based on reading, but will see and report back to add a tele data point.

Shipping confirmation says next Tuesday. Hoping so bad to be able to ski these the weekend after I get them, but I'm fighting a pinched nerve in my lower back which has been debilitating as hell.

Hoping to mount them up at least soon after receipt and the nice thing about my bindings is that they are plate mounted and I have 1.5 cm each direction from center to try various locations. I'm thinking I will put the front option at recommended which would allow me 3cm back from there for experimentation. I'm guessing 1.5cm back will be about perfect based on reading, but will see and report back to add a tele data point.

I thought I posted my Quixote mount point and review in this thread last year? I mostly ski the World Cup version of the Crispi Evo with the NTN freerides. That tele setup skis pretty similarly to an all mtn alpine boot. I’ll check the location I ended up preferring.

The Quixote is not a full on charger like my metal lam heads and Völkls but it is super maneuverable in tight terrain and light enough for skinning sidecountry.

3pingrin, I just checked and my usual location is -0.5 on my 194 Quixotes. I sometimes slide them back to -2 cm on deeper days for less tip dive when teleturning. As you probably know, the basic idea of offset side cut was a tele ski thing way back in the 90s and Yeah it works here too in terms of making that rear ski carve in a natural feeling kinda way.

The Quixote’s most outstanding characteristic for me is how well it billygoats on steeps. When I ride at -2 it loses some of that playful feel and becomes like a normal ski. Not bad, just meh.

The shark nose cuts thru chop but if shit’s a bit chunky my 197 Katanas (for example) are definitely more stable.

What is confusing me are the several times I am almost doing a tip cross.
    Making me wonder if my canting angle changed after this summers crash. I may not be standing flat?

^ assume you’ve tried dulling edge more in the front rocker zone?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    3pingrin, I just checked and my usual location is -0.5 on my 194 Quixotes. I sometimes slide them back to -2 cm on deeper days for less tip dive when teleturning. As you probably know, the basic idea of offset side cut was a tele ski thing way back in the 90s and Yeah it works here too in terms of making that rear ski carve in a natural feeling kinda way.

The Quixote’s most outstanding characteristic for me is how well it billygoats on steeps. When I ride at -2 it loses some of that playful feel and becomes like a normal ski. Not bad, just meh.

The shark nose cuts thru chop but if shit’s a bit chunky my 197 Katanas (for example) are definitely more stable.
    Excellent intel, thanks frorider. Yeah was thinking about Scotty Bobs and later when G3 tickets/rapid transits came along they were a popular tele option. Albeit the design approach was different.

More laps more liking my Qs. Huge sweet spot and v forgiving. I focus in standing on top of them n steer with feet; might sound obvious but for these skis that’s on my mind when I’m on them. I still pressure the cuff, everything else comes naturally. only had a few days on them and already favourite ski. I’ve bibbys, proTest, line sn108.

I really want to try out a Q. I'm curious if a skinny Q would exhibit most of the characteristics of the stock width.

Anyone going to be at BBI with a pair?
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Still fighting a pinched nerve in my back and a couple of numb toes but I think I am going to mount these up tomorrow and take them for a spin Sunday dependent upon how I feel that morning. I wasn't enamored with the stock graphics on the website but I think they look great in person.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quixote.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	601.3 KB 
ID:	267709

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    ^ assume you’ve tried dulling edge more in the front rocker zone?
    It will be done before heading up Tuesday.
    Thanks. Had my blinders on.

First day on Qs today. So much fun in soft chop, fresh snow with chunks underneath, and 6-12" of fresh snow both light and heavy. Couldn't wipe a grin off my face all day. Today at AM was also one of those days where you're going to have a good time though. Eager to keep "testing" on other days.

Squirrely and slightly prone to splits on groomers. Can I detune the front without messing with the performance off of groomers? Totally willing to put up with the groomer performance if not.

Oh, 188 Qs, flex 4, enduro. Curious about heavy+veneer, same flex, same length.

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    First day on Qs today. So much fun in soft chop, fresh snow with chunks underneath, and 6-12" of fresh snow both light and heavy. Couldn't wipe a grin off my face all day. Today at AM was also one of those days where you're going to have a good time though. Eager to keep "testing" on other days.

Squirrely and slightly prone to splits on groomers. Can I detune the front without messing with the performance off of groomers? Totally willing to put up with the groomer performance if not.

I have same layup w veneer, no issues w squirrelly or splits on groomers at all. but my GPO did that a bit at first and were grabby adls shit in windfucked snow. . It's likely the tune, the GPOs were underbeveled up front in additional to the usual ginsu sharp praxis edges.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I generally prefer my Praxis with a good diamond stone dulling from about 3” inwards from contact points out towards the tip. No squirrels issues with my Qs

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post

I never needed to detune my Qs, seems like the last couple pair of Praxis I’ve had were great out the box (older Praxis I’ve had to detune the fuck out of... GPO/Protest). Absolutely dig my Qs and wouldn’t change anything but the front end does lead to me having to stop an unintentional tip cross from time to time, I’d guess this is what you’re feeling as well?? Along with what most folks say here about the two footed approach is what I think is the answer more than the tune. I’m not saying they’re not intuitive or have much of a learning curve by any means but I do feel like I have to pay a bit more attention from time to time. They don’t ask much, and if you answer they deliver, they’re just so damn quick that you need to be on your toes a tad more than other sticks IME. If you’re headed down the fall line in the softies though, no thought involved, just trust the awesomeness and let em go.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!