Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skibass View Post
    Decided to wait until the shorter summer run. After emailing Kieth he said that they tend to ski a little long. At least I already know what my mid width ski in my quiver will look like next year!
    That's funny. I think they ski pretty short. They've got quite a bit of tip and tail rocker with a pretty short cambered section. Had them in 3D snow and hard groomers with a little blue ice and they never felt like a long ski to me really at all.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Breomonkey View Post
    OK, there's got to be a few more people on here who bought the ski. Let's see some more reviews, and if possible comparisons to the GPO or concepts.

-is this really a blend of the The best aspects of the GPO concept and protest?
    !
    Yeah let's here it, I really want to know. My buddy picked up the 188s on my recommendation, his first pair of Praxis. His first impressions are off the charts, he has some Rossi Sickles as a pow ski , and line influence 100 for hardpack...but not for much longer . Quixote will easily replace both he says. This was after a night of skiing ice at our local mole hill, sent me a text selfie with a giant shit eating grin on his face.

Skiing my 188s today. I don't think they ski long at all. Super easy to ski I can't imagine going any shorter. In fact, my first day on them I was thinking that I'd be fine on the 194s. Although not necessary for me, they'd make me look more core in the lift line. They are really loose and surfy in fresh and transition back perfectly to packed snow getting back to the lift. So smoothe in the chop. So much fun to ski. Definitely my new favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Skiing my 188s today. I don't think they ski long at all. Super easy to ski I can't imagine going any shorter. In fact, my first day on them I was thinking that I'd be fine on the 194s. Although not necessary for me, they'd make me look more core in the lift line. They are really loose and surfy in fresh and transition back perfectly to packed snow getting back to the lift. So smoothe in the chop. So much fun to ski. Definitely my new favorite.
    wwwllw what are your dimensions out of curiosity. I might be fine on 188s but will have to wait anyways since that pair is gone. Gonna get some time in on BGs and hopefully next season can compare the two directly. This is definitely my next ski.

skibass I'm 5' 10" 170.

Decided to wait until the shorter summer run. After emailing Kieth he said that they tend to ski a little long. At least I already know what my mid width ski in my quiver will look like next year!
    What length are they coming out with?
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I'd love to see a 184/185 but that's a small jump downward. Gut says he goes 183, just a hair longer than the GPO. This will help fill the gap in the Concept lineup. I know this is a thread for the Q, but I really hope he doesn't get down into the 170's without a step in between.

I'd love to see a 184/185 but that's a small jump downward. Gut says he goes 183, just a hair longer than the GPO. This will help fill the gap in the Concept lineup. I know this is a thread for the Q, but I really hope he doesn't get down into the 170's without a step in between.
    No way... I can see Keith adding a 182ish and than a 170ish later if the ski takes off...

That is what I would like to ski. I ski the 4frnt EHP in a 186 and that is just about perfect. If they ski long 188 would probably be a bit long for me. I am very curious about these, would love to demo them.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I have been asking Keith about 182 concept for a long time. Its going to be hard not to jump on board a 183 if it comes out, loving my 184 PJ

They honestly don´t ski long at all. The 188 is stupid easy to ski and more nimble than the 187 GPO. 5´8 140 lbs for reference. Can´t really see too many people needing shorter than the 188.

Good to know, I never had any issues with my 187 GPOs, just digging the feel of a little shorter skis these days.

Snej how about a compare and contrast with GPO sounds like you have both?

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

Always thought I wouldn't mind a longer gpo(187 as opposed to my 182), mostly for the longer radius. Thought a 183Q would fit the bill(partially because of the longer radius). Also thought a 178 ul for touring as an alternative option to a 177 skinny protest. Also curious to hear more comparison gpo vs Quixote

Anyone have any comparisons to a BG? I'm down to these two as my middle ski between my Protests and Black Crows Camox. I might want to snag the last pair of 188s. At 5'11" 185 I assume these would be the right length.
    I don't think this has been specifically addressed.

BG 13/14 191 vs. GPO 192 MAPC vs. GPO 187 UL Veneer vs. Quixote 188 Map-C veneer.

These are all GREAT skis. Like absurdly great. Predictable, stable, fun, versatile, all viable quiver of one options. I think they would all suit most TGR skiers well, but of course, we are all particular about fairly dumb shit, so YMMV. Some need to rage harder than these skis allow, some feel like skiing pow isn't worthwhile without at least 138mm underfoot. You do you. This is my attempt to recap my own experience with the above skis for the sake of comparison such that the collective will benefit from the info and perhaps help more than one mag move beyond the paradox of choice.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being dope and 1 being a rousing "fuck, no."

191 BG -
    Pow: 10
    Chop: 10
    Drops: 10
    Firm: 6
    Variable: 10
    Park: 4
    Bumps: 4

is still the best ride in Pow and the best landing platform. Mount on the line, forget about it. Loose surfiness in a class all its own in 3D snow. Best landing platfrom, IMO. As good as the other skis are, I would never reach for them as readily as I reach for the BG in soft snow. My complaint about them on firm has apparently been addressed with the newer generation. When my 13/14 kick the bucket, I'll likely buy a pair of new 189. Not sure I really need the asymmetry, but whatevs. If the On3P guys like it and think it deserves the name "Billy Goat", I'm sure I'll be on that cool-aid sooner or later. You can totally take them through bumps or into the park, but it's definitely not the home environment. Noticeably worse on firm snow than the others.

188 Quixote @ -1
    Pow: 9
    Chop: 9
    Drops: 8
    Firm: 8
    Variable: 8
    Park: 5
    Bumps: 7

I really like the layup and weight Keith chose for the first Q run. Bamboo veneer has a great feel to it. I have mine mounted with vipecs, and I'm likely going to remount with Wardens. I'd like some inbounds laps with alpine clamps. Plus that tail blows for a skin clip. I really wanted to like these as much as the billy goat in pow, but I just don't. They are good. If I didn't know about the RES greatness, I'd probably think this is the best pow ride. They are surfy, but not as loose in 3D snow. Easy to ski, but they don't pivot like an R/R ski like the goat does. Good on the landings, but not as stompable. Great in variable snow - really close to the BG. WAY better on firm snow. It's a slightly different feel than the others due to the asymmetry, but I really like the way they behave on edge. I can definitely see why they serve as a good comp ski. Perfect, predictable tracking and great in any condition. Viable option for a west side quiver of one with a bias toward freeriding. The deep snow/long tour I got with them was one of the best runs I've ever had and I didn't miss my billy goats at the time - they did great. They don't really even need speed to come alive. Easier to manage in bumps and in the park, but again - why is this a park ski - it's more of a sidecountry lap that spits you into the park on your way back to the lift.

192 Map C GPO @ dimple and 187 UL GPO @ -1.

Pow: 6 Pow: 9
    Chop: 8 Chop: 5
    Drops: 8 Drops: 9 in pow, 5 in variable.
    Firm: 9 Firm: 8
    Variable: 9 Variable: 4
    Park: 5 Park: 3
    Bumps: 9 Bumps: 4

Versatile ski. I don't like the recommended mount. Wish I had gone -1. The 187 at -1 is great - way better in pow than the 192 on the dimple. I had to ride backseat in pow. SOOO good on firm snow, MAPC 192 is great in variable snow, slice and dice all you want. They track like a train and really do deserve the praise they get for their versatility. I don't think I'll ever go UL again. If there is entirely consistent snow, it's fine - easy to ski, absurdly responsive etc. If there is any variability to the snow at all, the UL layup gets bounced around like the mountain is a giant cat and I'm the food it's playing with, but hasn't eaten yet. It SUCKS in variable snow. Since I have been using it with kingpins as an intended travel quiver of one, I have been both somewhat happy and super disappointed. If you know you'll get consistent snow, UL is fine, but if you sometimes tour into conditions you're unsure of (not regarding safety, just regarding consistency), I would at least get the middleweight layup. I was similarly frustrated with the demo day I had of the steeple 112. The lighter layups just do not track like their heavier counter parts and for me, it's worth the extra weight, even in a tech binding setup.

Enough from me. Props if you read all that. PM or respond to the thread with questions.
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 03-01-2017 at 01:13 AM.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

suprechicken, which ski's shorter 187 gpo or 188 Q?

Thanks for the comparo.

GPO slightly. Longer rockered sections in the GPO make that happen I think. If you want to avoid a ski that rides short, I'd go RX. Q is a nice blend of characteristics between RX and GPO
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Actually I'd be looking for the opposite. Debating if I'm man enough for this/gpo/concept in a 187+ length.

I see the potential in my 182 gpo, but am hesitant if it's length, design, wrong side or what. Probably a conversation for the praxis thread, but this design has my interest.

Useful comparisons, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Q is a nice blend of characteristics between RX and GPO
    ^^^This^^^
    I haven't skied the RX but have a good idea of the design, Q don't ski like a Concept. Always wanted a RX, don't think I do anymore, maybe just a stiffer (maybe longer) Q, maybe I don't want either? Q's pretty fuckin badass.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I wasn't sure about the stiffness until I skiied it. Handflexed softer than anticipated but skis perfectly. I'm in love.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

SC, what's your height/weight for reference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Thanks Chicken. That was a super helpful comparo

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Always wanted a RX, don't think I do anymore,
    The Rx remains one of the most predictable skis I've ever been on. In the MAP-C core, it's a great winter touring ski and perfectly at home in bounds. Simple and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    The Rx remains one of the most predictable skis I've ever been on. In the MAP-C core, it's a great winter touring ski and perfectly at home in bounds. Simple and beautiful.
    Then you'd probly dig the Q
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

chicken- great comparison. Greatly appreciated.