Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    I went -1 on mine but have no time on them yet. Seems like there's lots of people who like them at -1, but I don't know if I know anyone who has said they've gotten til dive on the line with these

I dont think you'll find many folks who varied their relative mount location from their GPOs to their Qs, but it would be interesting to hear from them.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

6'4" and 205 lbs - 192 GPOs on the line (all time favorite do it all ski) and 194 Qs on the line and love both...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I dont think you'll find many folks who varied their relative mount location from their GPOs to their Qs, but it would be interesting to hear from them.

... Thom
    Yeah, the issue is I actually like the dimple mount of the GPO except for the tip dive in heavier/deeper snow .

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Yeah, the issue is I actually like the dimple mount of the GPO except for the tip dive in heavier/deeper snow .

Ski faster. Take chances.

... just did the same thing on my 196 Rens for that reason, went from -5 to -6. A ski that wide shouldn’t have that much tip dive IMO

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

I originally mounted my GPOs on the line and really liked them there, but like you in deep snow (especially heavy) I had tip dive which I didn't like. Moved them back to ~1.25, much preferred them there in pow and deep chop. No dive. I don't think their performance changed much, maybe slightly less "slashy" and more traditional turning, but didn't really affect the overall quickness of the ski. I preferred the line in harder snow and variable, but overall I would mount back -1 again, as they performed better there overall.

I suspect the Quixote is the same way in 3D snow. I'm not sure how hardpack is effected by the asym. I say go -.7 and call it good

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I originally mounted my GPOs on the line and really liked them there, but like you in deep snow (especially heavy) I had tip dive which I didn't like. Moved them back to ~1.25, much preferred them there in pow and deep chop. No dive. I don't think their performance changed much, maybe slightly less "slashy" and more traditional turning, but didn't really affect the overall quickness of the ski. I preferred the line in harder snow and variable, but overall I would mount back -1 again, as they performed better there overall.

I suspect the Quixote is the same way in 3D snow. I'm not sure how hardpack is effected by the asym. I say go -.7 and call it good
    Ha. -0.7. Nice. If I was the shop rat I ask to do that , I'd smack my anal self across the face with a true bar on general principal . But in all seriousness, maybe something divisible by Pi would really get the most out of these....

-1 on Quixote 188 was $$$ in japow (so bottomless AF) and that was with vipecs which aren’t known for their flat ramp angle. That fatter tip probably floats a little better on the line than that GPO Shark nose. But tip dive on a 118mm waisted ski is just an inexcusable flaw...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Qs float like a true designated powder ski...blissful

GPOs are fine in powder but not quite as floaty as the Q, IMHO.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

Are your’s mounted on the line?

All the damn bugs around here have me second guessing myself. I was about to mount Betelgreene’s old skinny Qs on the line.

Thumbs up

Finally got my Q's (custom order) mounted up and ready to ride. Looking forward to some BC cat-skiing in early March to try them out. Encouraging comments above!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qmounted.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	661.0 KB 
ID:	221562

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

Same question where did you mount?

If guys go back to post 417 you will see JimS review and where he ended up mounting...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    If guys go back to post 417 you will see JimS review and where he ended up mounting...

Yep. I just saw that . -1 to -1.5. I'll "search JONG" myself now

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Yep. I just saw that . -1 to -1.5. I'll "search JONG" myself now

"The search Jong" should only be used on the newbie dipshits that make a brief appearance and eventually make their way over to AlpineZone...

I absolutely love my 194 Qs and glad to see many more Mags making the Q plunge and digging them. I have yet to get back on mine again as my 115+ quiver is out of control and am locked on my recently purchased reissued 196 Arnie Backstrom Bodacious ski. Holy moly!

Def need to get back on my Qs.

I absolutely love my 194 Qs and glad to see many more Mags making the Q plunge and digging them. I have yet to get back on mine again as my 115+ quiver is out of control and am locked on my recently purchased reissued 196 Arnie Backstrom Bodacious ski. Holy moly!

I have serious quiver envy of you. Seems like every ski I research you have a review on...

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    I have serious quiver envy of you. Seems like every ski I research you have a review on...
    I know! He really needs to grace us with a full quiver pic

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I know! He really needs to grace us with a full quiver pic
    I know... I know... I am really hoping this will be the end... These 3 skis I will say will not be leaving the quiver any time soon...:

194 Qs
    193 Suopergoats
    196 Bodacious

I know... I know... I am really hoping this will be the end... These 3 skis I will say will not be leaving the quiver any time soon...:

194 Qs
    193 Suopergoats
    196 Bodacious

I’m waiting for that supergoat vs q review. I think the goat will be better all around. More nimble and just as stable, having ridden both...but curious what a bigger rider would say. I’ll PayPal you some $ for a couple beers so you can get to work on that SG mount.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Lol! TGR

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Well, the wonky inside ski behavior is a distant memory and I foresee lots of great turns on these skis. Never have I been so initially confused/depressed/pissed off with a ski, only to experience the polar opposite after a couple of days.

Ever since Powtron commented to center-weight the asym. BG's, everything clicked with the Q's and driving them is now second nature. Based on how natural they feel now, I have trouble believing how confused I was for the first 4-5 hours on them.

In the middle of the day today, I switched to my GPOs (touring binders) to step into some side country and the transition was easy. I don't see it taking more than 4-5 turns to adjust to the Q's after getting on other skis.

I still haven't gotten into anything deeper than 6" on them. Soon (I hope).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quick review TL;DR: These skis rock.

Long review- The Setup:
    188 Custom Q , Flex 4 , glass, Enduro core , Maple veneer top sheet , mounted on the dot. I wanted this ski to be an inbounds powder / crud / sodt snow ski with the potential to be a 1 Ski western big mtn inbounds travel ski for the few quickl hitter trips where I can only bring one pair. I am 6'1 208, but we just had baby #2 so I am in the worst shape of my life and with new baby / work crap / snow conditions, haven't skiied a single damn day this year until I got on these as sad as that is. So my current hot garbage technique and fitness may influence this review.

Actual Review:. First of all, I've owned a Protests and GPO in the past and though both tunes sucked. I was prepared to fix these right away , and had the shop check bevels w a true bar, but instead found perfect 1 deg base bevel with flat bases and a (gasp) solid detune ahead and behind contact points. YMMV but finally a Praxis ready to go out of the wrapper.

I had these out 3 days in mixed but mostly soft conditions , peaking at about 6 inches of fresh with some boot deep pockets here and there . Maybe it's the good tune, but these were stupid easy on softer hardpack, to the point I didn't even notice the assym. Railed well on edge for a rockered 118 and shockingly felt more stable than the GPO running bases flat on high speed cattracks , run-outs, etc. Probably due to less tip taper but they felt much less squirrelly there. Shallow powder was great, can easily slarve around and broke loose easier than expected given the hardpack stability, I guess this is where the assym helps. I didn't hit any real deep pow so far so jury still out on if mount is too farbforward, but no tip dive in shallow stuff.

Crud was pretty damn good, much better than the lightweight core GPO. Blasted through soft early bumps and piles of snow. With firm reef underneath on South facing dust in crust the ski floated over the junk well with some speed and was tolerable edging through the hard crap. Like most Praxis's I've tried, the combo of relatively light and stiff does make them pretty reactive wacking into submerged snow covered moguls , but not intolerable.

In chutes and tight trees they came around quick enough. Not as lightning quick as the on the line GPO was , but still pretty easy even w my awful early season flailing and fatigue keeping me more backseat than ideal at times. They definitely like the fall line but this is by no means an unmanageable charger. They are really easy to ski and will make all sorts of turn shapes. Can't wait to get these out on a deeper day and see how they compare to the much bigger Protest.

So far these are perfect for their intended task. I do think the aces tune helps a lot and wonder how many of you who had that wonky hardpack behavior had tune , especially base bevel issues. My GPO was super grabby and unmanagable at the tip at first due to very sharp edges with minimal to no bevel in the shark nose area.

I have a few days on Aevergeuses 188 -10 custom Qs #4 flex in a variety of conditions. I’m going to wait until my back begins cooperating fully to write a review, I’m skiing half mast right now, but feel free to PM if I can help.

What stands out so far is how well they grip firmer conditions, while remaining incredibly easy to turn. Like, so easy to turn it’s actually an adjustment for me. They might turn quicker than a 184 4frnt Devastator, I’ll AB those at some point.

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

Edit double post

I bet a 194 Quixote with heavy core and #4 or #5 flex, would be right up there with the Supergoats. Quixote probably better on hardpack, while Supergoats a bit more floaty.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums