Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    I did not think they would excel at riding switch, I was def wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Question for anyone who has ridden their Qs. Does the offset taper design of the ski benefit from a detune more than other shapes? And if so just the outside edge?
    I have never been a big de-tuner, but just curious if people have been playing around. I finally get to take em out this weekend.

I didn't detune mine. The outside edge was a little hooky, but nothing a little change in form couldn't take care of. To be safe, you could detune 4" fore and aft of the outside taper point in the tip.

I didn't de tune mine either, iirc it seemed to me like they had been slightly de tuned at the factory because I had fully intended to do so. I just put a fresh wax on em and they skied liked a dream. If you're concerned maybe just stick a gummy in your pckt, I doubt you'll need it.

Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Roger thanks

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

Finally have my 182 Heavy/Carbon/Veneer (ash) 4 flex Quixotes in. Did some quiz measurements: Front rocker: 48cm, Rear rocker: 36cm Tip-tip Pull: 181cm Weight: about 2250g/ski, or 9.9 lbs for the pair.

First thoughts: Rocker profile is a lot more flat than I thought. I also seem to have a little more rocker than the specs list (I think someone mentioned this before as well - Thom?), 5cm in the tail and tip. I'm happy about this honestly, after reading some of the comments on their affinity for the fall line and hardpack behavior. The weight for this layup seems to be about 1 lb heavier than the standard Enduro/Nylon topsheet. (Anyone have the weight of standard 182s?)

This layup seems much more equivalent to the stock ON3P layup - for comparison, the 179 Billygoats are ~2240g / ski, and the 184s are ~2330g / ski. Pretty much exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. Plan is to mount some FKS 180s on there at -1 for all around soft-snow resort crushing. Will be complimenting some 186 veneer jeffrey 114s for the same conditions, so I was looking for a playful charger that was more towards the charging side.

I chose the Wall graphic for the veneer topsheets. I asked Keith to make the Praxis logos royal purple. The purple came out way darker than expected, and blends in with the black and brown. Pretty disappointed in that - decided to cut out some extra carbon fiber vinyl I had leftover from some other skis to put over the logos. I think it looks pretty good now, especially in natural light. Subtle but still stands out. Not sure how much I'll actually get to ski these this season given the lack of snow and my back is still pretty messed up. :/ Still stoked about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Finally have my 182 Heavy/Carbon/Veneer (ash) 4 flex Quixotes in. Did some quiz measurements: Front rocker: 48cm, Rear rocker: 36cm Tip-tip Pull: 181cm Weight: about 2250g/ski, or 9.9 lbs for the pair.

First thoughts: Rocker profile is a lot more flat than I thought. I also seem to have a little more rocker than the specs list (I think someone mentioned this before as well - Thom?), 5cm in the tail and tip. I'm happy about this honestly, after reading some of the comments on their affinity for the fall line and hardpack behavior. The weight for this layup seems to be about 1 lb heavier than the standard Enduro/Nylon topsheet. (Anyone have the weight of standard 182s?)

This layup seems much more equivalent to the stock ON3P layup - for comparison, the 179 Billygoats are ~2240g / ski, and the 184s are ~2330g / ski. Pretty much exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. Plan is to mount some FKS 180s on there at -1 for all around soft-snow resort crushing. Will be complimenting some 186 veneer jeffrey 114s for the same conditions, so I was looking for a playful charger that was more towards the charging side.

I chose the Wall graphic for the veneer topsheets. I asked Keith to make the Praxis logos royal purple. The purple came out way darker than expected, and blends in with the black and brown. Pretty disappointed in that - decided to cut out some extra carbon fiber vinyl I had leftover from some other skis to put over the logos. I think it looks pretty good now, especially in natural light. Subtle but still stands out. Not sure how much I'll actually get to ski these this season given the lack of snow and my back is still pretty messed up. :/ Still stoked about them.
    The weight of my 182, #4, Enduro/Carbon/Maple Veneer Qs was surprising at: 3897g/pair (8.6 Lbs.). That's .3 Lbs. lighter than my 182 GPOs (same layup except for veneer).

I found my post on rocker (#304 in this thread): Placed base to base, the tip rocker starts at 42.5 and the tail at 32.5. The spec shows 43/31. Allowing for being off by a half or a full cm, mine are basically on spec.

A-ever-geuse (that's your handle, and I'm stickin' to it ) followed up with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I measured ten times, this afternoon and then again right now. I got 47cm on the dot for the tip rocker. 18.5in.. Whether its natural variance, or he gave me a little something special(highly doubt), I’ll take it!!
    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-18-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

That rocker profile looks pretty sweet.

And thanks for all the measurements, doods.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Have any of you skied a 4frnt ehp in 186? I am thinking about the Quixote, but wondering about 188 or 182. 185 would probably be ideal, I would not want the ehp any longer than 186.

So it seems like the heavy core adds about 1.3-1.4 lbs for skis this width~116. I can see where it'd push something like a protest up to 11 lbs or so

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    So it seems like the heavy core adds about 1.3-1.4 lbs for skis this width~116. I can see where it'd push something like a protest up to 11 lbs or so
    Yeah, a heavy core Protest would be quite the dreadnought.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Although if you did heavy carbon veneer it might keep it under 11. 191 Cease and Desist is 10.6 lbs

I had such a sweet day on these last weekend, it was only after going back to the couple trails I had been lapping the day before (a mix of creamy pow, styrofoam, and crust) on my Qs with my Piste Jibs did I really get a sense of how effortless and confidence inspiring the Qs are in challenging 3d snow. You feel like you're in a ski movie when everyone else is picking their way through it. I haven't figured them out completely on hard pack but I am actually really stoked to keep trying them there to. Very unique and fun design in catalog of unique and fun designs.

Went and pulled the black and orange FKS off my Concepts which I have decided to re-purpose as "touring" ski for next season. Gonna scour gear swap this spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_115145.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	219436

Shu, what are the issues you are having on hardpack? I grabbed a pair of these in the 188 4 flex Enduro core/ veneer ,becuase why the hell not. I was considering using these to replace my 187 GPO MAP core/ glass UL prototype as my soft snow ski in a travel quiver of 2, and as a One travel ski for when I need to consolidate gear . Obviously if these are weird on hardpack it may make it tough to replace the GPO like that

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Shu — that topsheet/veneer combo is instantly legendary.

Duff - I bought the 188 enduro Q to replace that exact ski (187 UL GPO). If I could do it again, I would get enduro GPO (maybe without carbon) for a travel ski. You can get the 187 under 9 lbs with a veneer and it will be a little more predictable and forgiving. The Q needs the fall line and an aggressive approach. And it skis longer. For me, it’s just not an out of bounds ski. I’d take predictable and boring over a no speed limit, loves the fall line ride. If the Billy goat didn’t exist, I would ride the Q in bounds for soft snow. The GPO CAN rage in the fall line, but it can also meadow skip, ski slow AF and act predictably in any snow. Value there for me.

I actually thought both were impressive on firm snow.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

In an email Keith told me the Q is a really unique 2 footed ski. Maybe on hard pack weighting your uphill leg more in the turn will help with the hard pack issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    In an email Keith told me the Q is a really unique 2 footed ski. Maybe on hard pack weighting your uphill leg more in the turn will help with the hard pack issues.
    Consistent with my brief experience to date - trying to figure out how to pressure the "little toe" edge (the inside ski of the turn).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Shu — that topsheet/veneer combo is instantly legendary.

Duff - I bought the 188 enduro Q to replace that exact ski (187 UL GPO). If I could do it again, I would get enduro GPO (maybe without carbon) for a travel ski. You can get the 187 under 9 lbs with a veneer and it will be a little more predictable and forgiving. The Q needs the fall line and an aggressive approach. And it skis longer. For me, it’s just not an out of bounds ski. I’d take predictable and boring over a no speed limit, loves the fall line ride. If the Billy goat didn’t exist, I would ride the Q in bounds for soft snow. The GPO CAN rage in the fall line, but it can also meadow skip, ski slow AF and act predictably in any snow. Value there for me.

I actually thought both were impressive on firm snow.
    Agree with the 187 GPO UL Glass being mostly good at everything, except I got sick of it getting kicked around in inbounds chop, crust and bumps, especially at speed. The combination of lightweight and flex ( mine ended up on the medium end of medium/stiff as per Keith, so I guess a #3.5 ) causes this I think. I was actually going to get a veneer #4 flex Enduro glass GPO during the presale, but decided to try something different and do the same layup Q. Sounds like you did nearly the same.

How do you think the Q would fare as an inbound only ski? Still to much of a fall line charger for farting around in tighter trees, bumps , etc on a mixed conditions day?

Duff-Chicken,

Yeah I have 187 GPO enduro with carbon, and its an amazing travel ski, because as Chicken said it will do fast, it will drift and slarve in pow, it will ski slow, it will do mellow carves on hard pack and it will all be fun. If it has a weakness it might be how hard it charges in variable 3d but if you built it up with the heavy core I bet it would truck pretty fkn hard. As it is you can ski it fast in chop and variable, you just need to be on your A-game and light on your feet.

The Qs are different, they are just dying to point down the fall line and slash and smear through and over anything. Its the fastest ski I've been on since I was riding the Moment Garbones as my every day. Duff my favorite Praxis for trees and bumps is the Concept, with its insta-pivot direction changes, but the Q can also change direction really fast, I have a feeling it will do well, but I can't say yet.

To be clear, I don't think the Q is bad or even meh on hardpack by any means, its just a unique experience that's not nearly as conventional as the GPO can feel. As Kopi and Thom mention, the two footed design is going to take some adjustment but its fun to try new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post

The Qs are different, they are just dying to point down the fall line and slash and smear through and over anything. Its the fastest ski I've been on since I was riding the Moment Garbones as my every day. Duff my favorite Praxis for trees and bumps is the Concept, with its insta-pivot direction changes, but the Q can also change direction really fast, I have a feeling it will do well, but I can't say yet.

To be clear, I don't think the Q is bad or even meh on hardpack by any means, its just a unique experience that's not nearly as conventional as the GPO can feel. As Kopi and Thom mention, the two footed design is going to take some adjustment but its fun to try new things.
    How much do you guys weigh? I’m trying to figure out why my Q’s aren’t charging for me. I went skinny, heavy core, #4, and they are the easiest, most forgiving ski I own besides K2 shreditors. For me, they don’t like the fall line, they are super quick and turny. They really excel in tight spots, and although I haven’t got them in any tight trees, I have no doubt they will excel there.

To me, they feel like a slightly more traditional On3p Steeple. I wonder if going skinny on these really changed their personality.

I agree with the hardpack experience. They aren’t “bad” on hardpack, not at all, just different. I have a feeling that if one skied the Q’s often, a few times a week or so, you get used to the hardpack feeling, and make it work better.

... To me, they feel like a slightly more traditional On3p Steeple. I wonder if going skinny on these really changed their personality.
    I'm going from memory (a 4 run demo of two years' ago Steeple) but from a "charge" perspective, I'd say that Steeple is about right (5'9", 165Lbs.). In that limited Steeple demo, I remarked to myself that the Steeples are more robust than many non-touring skis (I considered them for an alpine mount at my weight and aggression level).

Not enough time on the Q's to remark about more or less traditional. The knee looks is if it will be ready after the holidays, and maybe we'll even have enough skiable terrain open by them to continue with this.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    I had such a sweet day on these last weekend, it was only after going back to the couple trails I had been lapping the day before (a mix of creamy pow, styrofoam, and crust) on my Qs with my Piste Jibs did I really get a sense of how effortless and confidence inspiring the Qs are in challenging 3d snow. You feel like you're in a ski movie when everyone else is picking their way through it. I haven't figured them out completely on hard pack but I am actually really stoked to keep trying them there to. Very unique and fun design in catalog of unique and fun designs.

Went and pulled the black and orange FKS off my Concepts which I have decided to re-purpose as "touring" ski for next season. Gonna scour gear swap this spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_115145.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	219436
    Shu, I def had a diff experience on the groom than you, but I will say it again and that is your Q topsheet is by far the best I have ever seen... So good looking...!

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks for feedback all. So the consensus on groomed is.....? More curious specifically how it feels odd rather than whether it's capable at all or not

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

How much do you guys weigh? I’m trying to figure out why my Q’s aren’t charging for me. I went skinny, heavy core, #4, and they are the easiest, most forgiving ski I own besides K2 shreditors. For me, they don’t like the fall line, they are super quick and turny. They really excel in tight spots, and although I haven’t got them in any tight trees, I have no doubt they will excel there.

To me, they feel like a slightly more traditional On3p Steeple. I wonder if going skinny on these really changed their personality.

I agree with the hardpack experience. They aren’t “bad” on hardpack, not at all, just different. I have a feeling that if one skied the Q’s often, a few times a week or so, you get used to the hardpack feeling, and make it work better.

Haven't skied Qs but been following them closely and almost bought the last 182 pair in stock.

IMO the skinny Q is more likely to be affected by the width decrease than any other ski because of the asymmetrical design. Maybe that's why your pair feel quick and pivot but don't want to rage fall line? Just my $0.02.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Undertow, Chicken,

Its the very fact you both have had really different experiences on hardpack that makes me think it's more that I suck at skiing than there is anything inherently weird about the design of the Q for groomers. And thanks for the compliments on the topsheet, I am also beyond stoked with how they turned out.