Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Not to mention avi danger could actually increase with out skier activity and compaction.
    Mmm, not really a measurable benefit when we get an inch of SWE and 600+ miles of wind in 24 hours. Hardly matters how well skied the bed surface has been.

I do know that Jamie Yount (WYDOT avalanche technician) wanted to close the pass much earlier that day, but was keeping it open in order to let the commuters make it home (what irony).

As far as what to do in the future, it will be most interesting to see. They left it up to us as a backcountry community to do the right thing and we failed. If the local posse comes forward to admit responsibility (now that the TCSO has avoided implicating anyone), that would be a good step towards placating not just WYDOT but some pretty pissed off commuters and some potentially pissed off backcountry skiers who don't want to lose access or be painted with the broad brush of having poor judgment.

And if WYDOT/ BTNF try to close Glory and Twin on High Danger days (which is how I see it now on a personal terrain choice basis), there is no way to enforce said closure.

We're working on an article on this topic for the April issue of The Avalanche Review. It follows up on a panel discussion at ISSW about the public's role in forecasting. You'll a first version/ first half of it in next weeks JHNAG from Molly Absolon.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Mmm, not really a measurable benefit when we get an inch of SWE and 600+ miles of wind in 24 hours. Hardly matters how well skied the bed surface has been.

I do know that Jamie Yount (WYDOT avalanche technician) wanted to close the pass much earlier that day, but was keeping it open in order to let the commuters make it home (what irony).

As far as what to do in the future, it will be most interesting to see. They left it up to us as a backcountry community to do the right thing and we failed. If the local posse comes forward to admit responsibility (now that the TCSO has avoided implicating anyone), that would be a good step towards placating not just WYDOT but some pretty pissed off commuters and some potentially pissed off backcountry skiers who don't want to lose access or be painted with the broad brush of having poor judgment.

And if WYDOT/ BTNF try to close Glory and Twin on High Danger days (which is how I see it now on a personal terrain choice basis), there is no way to enforce said closure.

We're working on an article on this topic for the April issue of The Avalanche Review. It follows up on a panel discussion at ISSW about the public's role in forecasting. You'll a first version/ first half of it in next weeks JHNAG from Molly Absolon.
    Won't they just stop plowing the lots? That threat has been tossed around before.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Sure there is. It's called jail. Catching offenders is pretty easy since they end up back at a parking lot. TCSO conducted an investigation whether there was a case for criminally reckless conduct, i.e. reckless endangering. No charges were brought because there was no clear evidence of causation. But, read between the lines: by the fact of their investigation, the Sheriff dept. showed it does consider skiers bringing avys down on the road to be potentially criminal conduct, subject to up to a year in jail. Furthermore, I doubt they would have conducted that investigation unless they knew that the DA was prepared to bring a case if the evidence warranted it. If a commuter gets killed, that raises the stakes to 2nd degree homicide.

Personal choices have public consequences, same as any other violation of the criminal code. Skiers aren't any different. That's what I've been trying to warn you guys about. They are getting pressure and are going to start making examples out of skiers if they have the case. Without a larger plan to deal with this issue, using criminal law against reckless skiers is going to be the default system to protect the commuters. A right to public access has fuck all to do with it. Access does not grant one immunity for his actions while on public lands.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 12-24-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Deeeep in the backcountry today, Merry Christmas.

Never skied on taters how's it compare to corn?

Any idea what the crowds are usually like the week after new years? I have several days off and its goin off up there
    T

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat67 View Post
    Any idea what the crowds are usually like the week after new years? I have several days off and its goin off up there
    T
    It can be one of the slower weeks of the winter for visitors, but more locals out sometimes. A quick check at Motel 6 showed $59 for tues/wed/thurs that week which is pretty low...a good indicator.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat67 View Post
    T
    Usually quiet(er)
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

on the tram today they announced that granite access was closed bc of a rescue (we weren't going there for the arm chair QB's out there
    but anyone have info? haven't seen anything. not sure if avi or lost wanderer
    hoping for the best
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    on the tram today they announced that granite access was closed bc of a rescue (we weren't going there for the arm chair QB's out there
    hoping for the best
    Heard it was a party of three spent the night out. The old "headed for Rock Springs/Four Pines out the top gate, in bad vis, end up going down the Cardiac Ridge drainage".

Overheard on Tram, so can't speak to veracity.

Did watch a marriage proposal on the 8:24 car this morning, it was pretty damn awesome!

So was the skiing.
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

getting a little amped for my Targhee trip 01/02/17. What time should I hit the main lot to get close in parking? My pup will be chiilin in the car so want come down and fire it up at lunch and breaks. Also heard there's doggie daycare in town any recommendations?

830 will normally get you front couple rows, though with a pooch I usually park down in the employee lot, a little quieter down there and lots of room to toss the Frisbee. It's less than a 5 min walk to DC.

Best Doggy Daycare I've found in the Valley is Russ @ the Hairball Hotel in Victor. A bit further than Driggs but worth it. $20 a day. I've heard good things about Trail Creek but never used them.

Since the 2nd is a federal holiday it may be a marginally busier Monday, but still better than a Saturday.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    hoping for the best
    Saw they rescued the three skiers in Granite Canyon. But there is a snowboarder missing at Grand Targhee since Friday. Told his friends he was going to do some back country snowboarding.

Went to the gym and came back to 5" at my place in the big holes, tomorrows gonna be fun if all this fluff doesn't blow into S. Dakota.

86, 96, 2016

Out of curiosity for all the folks commuting, when the pass closes are you expected to take the long way around to get to work? Are your employers cool with you rolling in 2-3 hours late? Guessing not so much for hospitality gigs, hospital etc? What about dogs and kids if you get stuck over on this side?

Seems everyone I know is moving over yonder, personally it's not for me as tax laws here in Jackson (or lack there of) outweigh what I would save renting a place in Idaho.

Is it like moving to Arizona to ski Telluride?

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post

86, 96, 2016

Out of curiosity for all the folks commuting, when the pass closes are you expected to take the long way around to get to work? Are your employers cool with you rolling in 2-3 hours late? Guessing not so much for hospitality gigs, hospital etc? What about dogs and kids if you get stuck over on this side?

Seems everyone I know is moving over yonder, personally it's not for me as tax laws here in Jackson (or lack there of) outweigh what I would save renting a place in Idaho.

I think this was only the second time in my six winters living on the bright side that the pass closed overnight unexpectedly, as least the second that potentially impacted me. So for me it's not even close to often enough to have a plan all set in stone, just play it by ear.
    Ya it's cool that there's no income tax in WY, tying all their revenue to energy's working out just swell. That and 'I could never drive the pass every day' are the two things i hear the most, and I hope to keep hearing them a lot...

86, 96, 2016

Lots of people at the hospital on the ID side. Yeah it's a pain and they do expect you to make it to work, but on time isn't always the reality if the pass is closed. I was on the pass for a quick tour before my night shift when Twin slid and closed the road a couple weeks back. Had to go clear around and was late. Not the end of the world, but can't make a habit of it. Personally- I'd love to live on the victor side, but not if I still had to work in Jackson.

86, 96, 2016

It's like living in Arizona because it's not Telluride. Lots of people just would rather live in Teton Valley. If tax laws matter to you you probably wouldn't understand.

86, 96, 2016

If I had the money to choose which side I lived on (I don't) I would still pick the Idaho side. The lack of unpretentious people is a huge draw for me!!

Big soft slabs up high. Doctor Deep mid elevation.

Pulled a stoner move and spaced a pair of poles today: older BD adjustables, blue w/ thicker shaft. One gray basket, one green.
    They were left in Max's van (thanks for the ride!) or at the Heidlberg.

Send a PM if you picked em up, they're worth more than their weight in beer to me, thanks.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Anyone interest in 2 tix for Lukas Nelson tonight? Five bucks below face. Lower section.
    Pm me.

They found the snowboarders body out of bounds of Targhee today.

Yeah, saw the chopper working today. Mary's was closed until they were done with everything. Sad. Anyone have more details?
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/c...d25f10a84.html

Avalanche dogs located a body near Grand Targhee Resort today, according to the Bridger Teton Avalanche Center.

"The lost person at Grand Targhee was found by avalanche dogs today," the center's evening advisory read.

Searchers have been combing the area since Friday for Lee Kidd, a 34-year-old Grand Teton employee who went snowboarding before work that day.

The center's report said "the accident involved a cornice drop, avalanche, and travel over a significant cliff. The recovery efforts today by SAR and Grand Targhee patrol were complex and involved mitigation efforts to address lingering avalanche hazard prior to insertion of searchers."

Teton County Sheriff's Office is preparing a release about the recovery and rescue efforts, said Sgt. Matt Carr. This is a developing story.