Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Also, anybody have a line on a level 1 refresher at some point this season? Homemadesalsa, you out there?
    We stopped scheduling level 1 refreshers at Yostmark because no-one signed up. It's better to collect a couple of friends and call Yostmark, or just grab me for a tour day with a bit of class/ discussion time before and after. AAI does them for $200: https://www.americanavalancheinstitu...l-1-refresher/

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Don't blame em. I'd do it if I was their mkt'g person.

You headin this way anytime soon Cristo?
    Hey yeah I'll be up in a couple of weeks for about 10 days or so. I'll message you and hope we can connect!

Great skiing at the ghee today

Quote Originally Posted by Ted26 View Post
    Great skiing at the ghee today
    I knew I should have sucked it up and came over, but getting off work at 8 and fighting a head cold made me puss out. D
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Threw down for a 4 packs at Targhee and coming with my girlfriend 1st week of Jan. Any mags care to show us the ropes would be most excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Threw down for a 4 packs at Targhee and coming with my girlfriend 1st week of Jan. Any mags care to show us the ropes would be most excellent.
    Can do. PM me.
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Haha!

Tate up to Targhee today. Looks most excellent.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BNkl-FyAqEH/
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

some nice blower LBL- just started following tate on instagram too- bound to be some delight in there

fun out there today despite the thinness
    skid luxury

Monday morning looks call in sick worthy. Ghee could use a tad more base in spots, still some sharks with frickin laser beams lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Monday morning looks call in sick worthy. Ghee could use a tad more base in spots, still some sharks with frickin laser beams lurking.
    heard of more than a few scrapes and gouges, but GaryH took the gold with breaking two boards in two days. Like full-on wish it was just a ripped edge broke. Careful loading up those heel-side turns!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    heard of more than a few scrapes and gouges, but GaryH took the gold with breaking two boards in two days. Like full-on wish it was just a ripped edge broke. Careful loading up those heel-side turns!
    Yikes! Well done Gary. Anything off the TVT is pretty rocky for the first couple hundred feet, North Facing off headwall is pretty safe.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    some nice blower LBL- just started following tate on instagram too- bound to be some delight in there

fun out there today despite the thinness
    ;-) It'll get there, soon. In the meantime, my snowboard is my rock board. One and the same!
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

First avalanche class of the season finished today with an interesting day off the south side of the pass. Even before noon the wind slab was starting to build, breaking at a density change (think that lovely light cold powder of a few days ago) about 10" down. Finding full propogation on facets on top of rain crust about 10 cm up from the ground in more places than I would have expected, even off the south side.

Full on old school driving home over the pass a little after 5pm. Ground blizzards= no vis below Shovel and Twin. It'll be interesting to see what they get at the 3am gazex blast. Lots of miles of wind, still honking at my house.

It's gonna be spicy out there tomorrow. Heads up if you're planning on a Glory lap- play the terrain game wisely.

Not sure if I'm qualified enough to be posting this however I found some very interesting as in I wouldn't ski it for $20,000 snow atop avi bowl yesterday.

ct2 Q2 @70cm
    ct29 Q2 @40cm

ECTP1 @70cm
    ECT10N @55cm-40cm
    ECT20N @18cm

was my first day out of the season, went out to see what we already knew, however it was much more delicate than expected. Watched 5 people center punch the bowl after I was finishing up my pit?
    Last edited by media310; 12-07-2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: ECTP1 not ECTPV

See the moose-Wilson road decision? Looks like longer winter commutes to wimpys/Albright in the future if I read it correctly. But maybe that's not a bad thing. I like the bike/hike closures for a couple days a week

Not sure where Powder got any of the info for this recent article on Teton Valley, as last time I checked it's flat and doesn't snow here....
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by christoweber View Post
    See the moose-Wilson road decision? Looks like longer winter commutes to wimpys/Albright in the future if I read it correctly. But maybe that's not a bad thing. I like the bike/hike closures for a couple days a week
    winter parking looks to be the same as now, just north of the death canyon road junction.

Winter Access and Use. Terminating winter maintenance and plowing of the MooseWilson
    Road at a parking area north of the Death Canyon Road junction (from the north
    corridor access) and at the Granite Canyon trailhead (from the south corridor access) will
    provide a range of opportunities for visitors (cross-country skiers, snowshoers, hikers,
    runners) to access and use the corridor in the winter
    where did you read about "bike/hike closures for a couple days a week" ??

got a quote/reference for that?

When they finally do reroute the north end of Moose-Wilson, it will come in behind the main park entrance station (right Tye?). So then all the cheap skids will have to pay or get a park pass even to go to the Albright parking.

As soon as the summer M-W car quota system is implemented then I am retiring from guiding. Honest.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    winter parking looks to be the same as now, just north of the death canyon road junction.

where did you read about "bike/hike closures for a couple days a week" ??

got a quote/reference for that?
    News article said "alternative c" had been chosen. According to this, C moves winter parking back to sawmill ponds area where the lot will be expanded. And it says 2 days a week in summer closures. Summer death canyon TH to be moved back, but not too much. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but here's the details with a map
    https://www.nps.gov/grte/learn/manag...PC-Version.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    When they finally do reroute the north end of Moose-Wilson, it will come in behind the main park entrance station (right Tye?). So then all the cheap skids will have to pay or get a park pass even to go to the Albright parking.

As soon as the summer M-W car quota system is implemented then I am retiring from guiding. Honest.
    Saw that too--no more free access to moose Wilson (not a big deal imo--parks pass is still a good deal despite being up to 80 now) and they're also gonna do a new bigger main gate entrance area. Biggest change to me is the moving back of the winter trailhead--not too much further, but still will add to Albright access I think. I use that for mavericks too... but apparently it's just as quick to go in from Bradley taggart(?) to get there. I wonder how many years out before these changes actual happen. Trump cutting the nps budget more?

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

Yes, idea is if you go thru Granite ES you'll come out north of the Moose ES, so only have to go thru one. And yeah, with the road re-route folks southbound on M/W Road will go through the Moose ES.

As far as I know winter parking continues at the modified Death Canyon TH and Granite TH.

I'm with ya HMS, and hope to be retired before a lot of this kicks in, hopefully 4-5 years. Will be interesting to see the phasing plan, as limits can't be implemented until the staging areas are there, so after reroute of north end, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Yes, idea is if you go thru Granite ES you'll come out north of the Moose ES, so only have to go thru one. And yeah, with the road re-route folks southbound on M/W Road will go through the Moose ES.

As far as I know winter parking continues at the modified Death Canyon TH and Granite TH.

I'm with ya HMS, and hope to be retired before a lot of this kicks in, hopefully 4-5 years. Will be interesting to see the phasing plan, as limits can't be implemented until the staging areas are there, so after reroute of north end, etc...
    This is the part under Alternative C that makes it look like winter parking is changed from current:
    "Winter maintenance of Moose-Wilson Road would end at Sawmill Ponds Overlook. The unplowed portion of the road between Sawmill Ponds and Granite Canyon trailhead would be available for cross- country skiing and snowshoeing, but would not be groomed."

Careful out there, Wallys went wall to wall, Cajun went naturally, the snow pack is sketchy.

from JHMR

“We are forecasted to receive one to three feet in the mountains this weekend with a very favorable westerly flow,” said Tim Mason, VP Operations. “Our plan is to get as much terrain and lifts open in as timely and safe a manner as possible. If snow and working conditions allow, we hope to try to open the Aerial Tram by the end of the weekend,” Mason added.

With the fortunate snow conditions JHMR has experienced since opening, it has the highest snowfall in the Rockies to date (137”) and the best snow conditions and terrain available this early in the season. Local “old timers” are being heard whispering that it’s setting up like a “good old Jackson Hole December.” JHMR welcomes skiers and snowboarders to experience the very best this weekend.

Tye you been around or still traveling the globe?