Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Turiano's book is great, but Wilson Backcountry also sells a topo map with most of the popular runs labeled on it. Combine that with the Jackson Hole Ski Atlas for aerial photos of everything and caltopo/hillmap for slope angle shading and you can figure out a lot of the stuff on the pass pretty easily for way cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Oh no I thought Melvin was in that Thai place? Thai Me Up or whatever? Bummer. Oh well.
    same owners. brewing moved to the new facility in Alpine

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Oh no I thought Melvin was in that Thai place? Thai Me Up or whatever? Bummer. Oh well.

I would totally borrow your copy if you don't mind, as that fucker is a stiff $140 online somehow apparently... I'll PM you, maybe can meet up for a dawner sometime next week
    Both! Melvin is still in Thai me Up - but they also recently built a big bottling/ canning facility in Alpine, Wy just South of Jackson so you can bring some home

Ok, I think you two would LOVE skiing Grand Targhee- so you should put that on your list for your resort day and will keep you posted/ elaborate more back to your PM

Jackson peeps - we do also have an extra copy of the Turiano Teton Skiing History and Guide book that is out of print and thus super expensive to buy (andrew and I each had a copy when we came together and I think we can share)

.....might be willing to part with it to a worthy mag that doesn't have a copy.....maybe I should make a haiku contest or something? hmmmmm??
    skid luxury

Doesn't Turiano have a new book this year that's just the pass?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Yes. I paged through it quickly at Headwall the other day. It's real sharp. Not cheap ($50ish?), but looks really good and seemed extremely thorough!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    yes! been wanting to pick it up but it's like $80 or something so thinking maybe I'll use some of my christmas money

...this is funny- went to try to find a link to the book for here and the 2nd thing that comes up is Lou Dawson's site with Title- Turiano Publishes Most Expensive Guidebook in the World–Review
    https://www.wildsnow.com/14963/teton...ebook-turiano/
    skid luxury

Sushi place? 10yrs ago we ate at a place that was in a building upslope from the Mangy Moose. Maybe the same building as Stiegler Sports. Looks to be gone. Any other recommendations?

Also, looking at lodging. Surprisingly, might be cheaper to get 3 hotel rooms at the Hampton Inn. A few houses/condos in what appears to be called the Moose/Wilson Rd area (google maps). Thoughts on where to stay? Want a few low key bars and restaurants close by. 45-50yr male group, a few think they are into the bar scene....until they get there

probably masa sushi?
    I heard that Masa rolls once a week or something at Teton Thai in Driggs. maybe Teton Valley ID mags can confirm

Hotels in town are pretty cheap in the winter (compared with summer) so that is always a good bet
    Teton Village has lots of lodging at the base- I'd stay there. plenty of bars and dining there these days
    skid luxury

Thanks b-bear - I think it was Masa Sushi. We had a memorable night there with some amazing food.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    probably masa sushi?
    I heard that Masa rolls once a week or something at Teton Thai in Driggs. maybe Teton Valley ID mags can confirm
    Yep Masa is over here inconsistently.

A little stoke from last weekend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8392.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	195626
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Teton thread on page 2? For shame.

Not even one post about the potato truck over the edge on the pass in another snowstorm? http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jackso...fc7f21fe6.html

Sun and wind having effects on the snowpack. Still blower in the shade and did I mention cold? But some robust sun crust and wind pillows for sure. That October crust is testing my mindset discipline- stepping out very very gently. One more storm lined up for tomorrow night. Great coverage for this time of year.

There's a poll running in JHNewsandGuide for solutions to the Pass issue. Better go vote because closing the north side of the Pass to skiers is currently winning by a very large margin.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    There's a poll running in JHNewsandGuide for solutions to the Pass issue. Better go vote because closing the north side of the Pass to skiers is currently winning by a very large margin.
    What section is that in? Couldn't find the link

I had to drive the desk today but andrew went heli skiing w/ high mtn
    it was bluebird and velvety snow so will request for him to post some stoke

ps I think neckdeep is making a funny- referring to the newspapers random weekly poll outside of alberstons
    but I could be wrong. I often am
    skid luxury

There's an online poll on the front page.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/how-sh...42ebdd4a0.html

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    There's an online poll on the front page.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/how-sh...42ebdd4a0.html
    snowshed or nothing.the threat of closure is unenforceable by any entity.the parking lot has to be there for commuters and no one is going to check parking.utards have to deal with that now in the canyon but they have 36 paths that could effect hwy,so they say.we have 2.common sense will prevail

Just a quick and probably unpopular question here, but why should the people of Wyoming be on the hook for $20 Million so that people can ski two slide paths any time they want? That dollar figure is just to build it, then you have to maintain them. I think enforcement would be fairly easy, as breaking trail up glory is not very swift. The south side would remain as is, so the parking lot would still be for skier parking.

Personally, I think the douchebag who decided to ski this on that day should out himself, issue a public apology, pay for the damage he did to the jeep, medical expenses for the dude in the jeep, and have to do service hours that educates people about the dangers of his actions. If people can't make good decisions, and can't own up to their bad decisions and face the consequences, decisions need to be made for them and unfortunately everyone else. As a pass skier, I can't imagine the North side being closed down, but I also can't see spending $20 million plus just to keep two runs open every day of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    Just a quick and probably unpopular question here, but why should the people of Wyoming be on the hook for $20 Million so that people can ski two slide paths any time they want? That dollar figure is just to build it, then you have to maintain them. I think enforcement would be fairly easy, as breaking trail up glory is not very swift. The south side would remain as is, so the parking lot would still be for skier parking.

Personally, I think the douchebag who decided to ski this on that day should out himself, issue a public apology, pay for the damage he did to the jeep, medical expenses for the dude in the jeep, and have to do service hours that educates people about the dangers of his actions. If people can't make good decisions, and can't own up to their bad decisions and face the consequences, decisions need to be made for them and unfortunately everyone else. As a pass skier, I can't imagine the North side being closed down, but I also can't see spending $20 million plus just to keep two runs open every day of the season.
    Is Avi reduction, at the cost of $20m, still worth it if no one skied the north side and they were only used to keep the pass open and safe for the thousands of commuters to drive over every day? We as skiers get this misconception that the Avi reduction work on the pass is for our safety, which it is 10% of the time, but it is mainly used to keep everyone else on 22 safe.

there really is no issue since the sheriff didn't find anyone to be responsible,the forest service doesn't wan't anything to do with this.wydot cant make the claim so, this is more about our public lands,there will be no power grabs like in utah

The danger to motorists from backcountry skiers pales in comparison to the danger from other motorists.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    The danger to motorists from backcountry skiers pales in comparison to the danger from other motorists.
    That's a really good point.

imho the next considerations should be:

more mid-day control like they do down past Hoback; this would unfortunately mean closing the north side that morning until reduction was complete. But i think most commuters would prefer an occasional [2-4 times/winter] planned 2-hour pass closure than unplanned overnights. And most skiers should prefer very occasional north-side closures for this than anything more restrictive.

banning semis year-round.

enforcement of tires/chains but only during first two or three chain law days.

I'm with Lawless regarding the action the skier should take, but my guess is that he told the cops that he didn't see anything cut loose so would be asking for trouble by now admitting maybe something did rip. If it's the skier i've heard it might be, he could also get a posse of other really good, established and respected local skiers and put out a group statement without admitting any fault...Because really the bottom line is everybody was lucky that nobody got hurt or killed and anything that could help prevent that from happening in the future would be a good thing...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Not to mention avi danger could actually increase with out skier activity and compaction.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

12/22/16

Anybody here in town have a salomon jig I could borrow? Tired of paper templates and paying the stupid shop fees. Will reimburse with