Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    selling my sled and trailer.. $1500

http://classifieds.jacksonhole.media...x#.WEhwAn35_qY

Quote Originally Posted by christoweber View Post
    According to this, C moves winter parking back to sawmill ponds area
    Is Sawmill Ponds the big parking/turnaround up on the small hill closer to Moose? That's a good mile and a half north of current WP, right?

Obviously secondary to the fantastic terrain, but one of the coolest things about where we park now is that we glide out in decent conditions as opposed to the standard shuffle on most east side exits. Good thing I'm not running the show, 'cuz I'm one of those nuts that thinks plowing the road to String Lake would be cool.

In other news, it was -37 in Bondurant yesterday morning.

Low angled powder :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1878.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	194518

Name:	IMG_1886.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	194519
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by christoweber View Post
    News article said "alternative c" had been chosen. According to this, C moves winter parking back to sawmill ponds area where the lot will be expanded. And it says 2 days a week in summer closures. Summer death canyon TH to be moved back, but not too much. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but here's the details with a map
    https://www.nps.gov/grte/learn/manag...PC-Version.pdf
    you've got the "alternative C" part correct, but are referring to an old, preliminary, document.

check out the actual * *record of decision** , dated 12/5/16
    https://www.nps.gov/grte/learn/manag...n_12-05-16.pdf

winter death canyon parking to stay where it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Careful out there, Wallys went wall to wall, Cajun went naturally, the snow pack is sketchy.
    saw some dudes putting in the first uptrack up Wimpys today.
    anyone that bothered to look at the mountains in early November could see that the south half of almost the entire main upper bowl kept it's snow/rain crust.

kinda like olive oil did.

Name:	10511_1340.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	194522

I'm sure when something big & shady rips above 9500 we'll get the usual handwringing about heuristics and group dynamics, just like the pucker face shitshow not too long ago. anything to excuse the willful ignorance of the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    you've got the "alternative C" part correct, but are referring to an old, preliminary, document.

check out the actual * *record of decision** , dated 12/5/16
    https://www.nps.gov/grte/learn/manag...n_12-05-16.pdf

winter death canyon parking to stay where it is now.
    Thanks for the clarification

Impressive debris photos on the events page from Steve Baugh going pretty good.

A bit OT, but the Center opened ticket sales for their winter series. Not cheap [as usual], but some killer options, I'm particularly stoked for Anders Osborne, Jackie Greene and Hayes Carll Jan. 15. And for Yefim Bronfman [piano] and Yo-Yo Ma next summer at the GTMF. [/musicgeekrant]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Couldn't understand why JH had 138" and Alta and Snowbird only 85". JH uses total from summit, Alta and Snowbird uses total from base. Misleading jackasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    A bit OT, but the Center opened ticket sales for their winter series. Not cheap [as usual], but some killer options, I'm particularly stoked for Anders Osborne, Jackie Greene and Hayes Carll Jan. 15. And for Yefim Bronfman [piano] and Yo-Yo Ma next summer at the GTMF. [/musicgeekrant]
    Got Ira Glass tix, Jackie Greene is a family friend so I hit him up, hopefully I'll get in to that too.

Anyone else snag some Reggie Watts tickets?
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

nah but these dudes are coming to town #facemelt if you like that sort of thing

http://www.pinkgartertheatre.com/eve...-jackson-hole/

nice upside down snowpack today, my dog was punching through. Tread lightly and be mindful of everything this season

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    Whimpys etc.....

I'm sure when something big & shady rips above 9500 we'll get the usual handwringing about heuristics and group dynamics, just like the pucker face shitshow not too long ago. anything to excuse the willful ignorance of the obvious.
    Nobody's perfect. I'd wager we have all been "willfully ignorant of the obvious" at least a few times both in and out of the snow world. Your message is a good one and might actually reach its intended audience if it didn't read like a parent scolding a child.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

from http://www.jhavalanche.org/viewAdvisory

The crown of a very large slab avalanche was observed today on the Powder Eight Face of Cody Bowl. It was reported to be five feet deep and to have propagated extensively across the slope. This destructive slide ran over cliffs into the cirque at the head of the Green River drainage and is believed to have released naturally. A very large natural slab avalanche was reported to have occurred on a southeast aspect of Taylor Mountain yesterday.

never heard it going this big in 15 yrs.

one of my worst nightmares right there.. hiking up powder 8's. wondered if that could happen, take a hard right over breakneck.the upside it all went au naturel.

We need it to facet out and disappear. Maybe? Hopefully?

"Facet out" won't happen as the snowpack deepens. Here's what the BT says: " In the long run, this storm will help to provide a fairly deep bridge between the surface of the snow and the weak snow". Could be exciting this storm cycle, be careful out there.

Seems like a better bet.

Fingers crossed

How terrible is my Drive from Denver home going to be tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    How terrible is my Drive from Denver home going to be tomorrow?
    It will be fine, Wamsutter has lots of great places to stay when 80 closes.

In case you've been in a cubicle all day, it's been snowing and ____ (the R word). The driving is horrific. Lots of shooting cracks and easily triggered wind slab out there. Play the terrain game to win, and don't forget to look above you, see what your current slope is connected to. Pass is closing at 3am, but I wouldn't be surprised if they bump it earlier. Then temps are supposed to drop to the teens and zero. Lovely.

JACKSON HOLE/TARGHEE/TETONS ROLL CALL 2016/2017

Tried to book a flight to JH on frequent flyer points, but there is nothing available right now, even in first class. I know that sometimes, the winter flight schedule is not known until the fall, but this is ridiculous! All available seats cannot be booked 6 months in advance.

slide closed the road, looks like some folks taking the long way home..

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/t...dba0afdfa.html

Wydot website says currently scheduled to open tomorrow by noon.
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

Beaned a car.

From the BTNF evening advisory :

"Just as darkness was approaching, the twin slides path over Teton Pass released with a two foot crown. Early reports state the avalanche deposited 15 feet of snow on the highway, knocking a vehicle off the road and onto its side. Nearby skier traffic may have initiated or remotely triggered the slide during these sensitive conditions."

That'll get everybody fired up.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Jackson Hole/Targhee/Tetons Roll Call 2016/2017

Good pic of the pass slide on the buckrail
    https://pitchengine.com/buckrail/201...04453988372370

Snapt- hope your drive went well
    Our flt from denver to jh was cancelled last Fri with the storm so we made that drive thru the night in a nissan sentra. Ahhh winter
    skid luxury

Seriously.... Twin Slides today?

In level 1 classes our curriculum revolves around this sentence:
    "Choose Terrain to Match the Conditions."

The trigger should buy motel rooms for all the Teton Valley locals stuck in Jackson tonight.