Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    After the bridge got bent, WYDOT went a different direction, hiring avalanche folks (no-one as good as Jamie Yount, who is the current guy, however), supporting an avalanche program and spending big $ putting in the Gazexs and the Dopplmeyr blaster boxes. Rod says that the bridge would have worked if it had been sited just a little differently, but WYDOT was just a little too cheap and shrunk it down to the scale where it was a target. It came down to $, so I hear, why they didn't put in snow sheds, which would be the true European stylish solution, ala Rogers Pass or even Snoqualmie Pass.

Red Mountain Pass in Colorado has one or two of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyQpX2aoTbs
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Yeah I was thinking snow sheds, not avy bridges. My mistake.

Currently stuck at fireside, odds on getting home tomorrow without driving to Rawlins first?
    Last edited by snapt; 01-10-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Currently stuck at fireside, odds on getting home tomorrow without driving to Rawlings first?
    where the hell is fireside?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

vertigo blizzard at the top of the world today,skiing all-time right now

http://www.jhavalanche.org/viewAdvisory

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    where the hell is fireside?
    Exactly https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...e_Wyoming.html

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Ah, on Togwotee? So close yet so far! If the wind backs off overnight the park would be trying to open the road just after daylight prolly...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Ah, on Togwotee? So close yet so far! If the wind backs off overnight the park would be trying to open the road just after daylight prolly...
    They had all plows trying to keep airport to town open since there were 5 flights still to land this afternoon/evening. Togwotee and the flats were fine, but they assumed we'd all crash on antelope flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Trace Hardslab View Post
    Man, I could post a picture of a squirrel on this fucking forum and people would get fired up. Hilarious.
    . . .

Moving to Idaho Falls

Hi Everone!

I am moving to Idaho Falls for work in late January/ early February. I was thinking about getting the mountain collective pass. First question, is it worth it? I just can't do the full season passes out there.

Second question: I want to stay safe out there. Do you know of any groups that go out together? I am so excited to go out there, but I am a little bummed I won't have anyone to enjoy it with and to stay safe with. What's the point of being out there if I can't ride the fun stuff?

Thanks!

Great day. Anybody else catch the drama in the Teewinot Line? Classic old school.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Great day. Anybody else catch the drama in the Teewinot Line? Classic old school.
    king was nice today too
    what happened in teewinot? people get their skis thrown out of line or something tram-like?
    skid luxury

See, I don't toss people's skis who put them down in line and leave them unattended. I just adjust the DIN on them appropriately...

Stoked to find out that Yonder Mountain is in town the week we are and we have tickets! March 16th at the Pink Garter. Always fun to see them especially now that they have Allie Kral and Jacob Jolliff on mandolin. I know the maggot get together is before this but I have a stepson in high school so we can't pull him out of school anymore. If any other peoples from Maggotdom are going let me know. I think the only JH mag I met once upon a time was skiing-in-jackson back when my stepson was a little guy.

Tickets:

https://events.applauze.com/events/3260817

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    See, I don't toss people's skis who put them down in line and leave them unattended. I just adjust the DIN on them appropriately...
    a real good smear of klister wax under the foot provides the most enjoyment at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    king was nice today too
    I bet it was awesome! The King ROCKS in years like this.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    people get their skis thrown out of line?
    Yes. Full crowd heckle as well.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Like.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by m55c27 View Post
    Hi Everone!

I am moving to Idaho Falls for work in late January/ early February. I was thinking about getting the mountain collective pass. First question, is it worth it? I just can't do the full season passes out there.

Second question: I want to stay safe out there. Do you know of any groups that go out together? I am so excited to go out there, but I am a little bummed I won't have anyone to enjoy it with and to stay safe with. What's the point of being out there if I can't ride the fun stuff?

Thanks!
    It's worth it if you can ski the number of days to make it pay off. It works for me since I am not able to ski enough days to justify a season pass because of work, but I ski enough days to justify the MCP, plus with Sun Valley and Alta/Snowbird in easy driving distance, it can be a good deal.

You may also want to look in to the Idaho Falls Ski Club. For the $25 membership you get a discount on Targhee tickets, though not as good as it used to be, but the discount on JH tickets is a pretty good deal ($80 v. $130) if that's your only option. Only pain is that you have to pick up vouchers in IF before heading to JH, you can't just show your card there like you can at Targhee. Sometimes Liftopia is a better deal than the IFSC discount for Targhee.

I've wanted to do that ever since seeing hot dog the movie
    skid luxury

Dang a LVE truck got hit by an avalanche in the canyon
    as an aside- interesting quote about the lineman wanting to go back to Haiti

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/c...17637677.33673

The Snake River Canyon between Hoback and Alpine may not reopen for hours after multiple avalanches closed Highway 89 today, burying a 5-ton truck.
    Troopers are turning commuters around and advising them to stay in Jackson overnight. Check WyoRoad.info for updates and see Thursday's Jackson Hole Daily for more on impacts of the continuing winter storm.
    The slides buried several stretches of the highway and at least one vehicle.
    The first slide was reported around 2 p.m. just south of Astoria near mile marker 183.
    Twelve feet of snow fell onto a Lower Valley Energy bucket truck that was driving southbound.
    “I could see the big cloud of snow dust and I was like ‘Aw crap,’” driver Clay Skinner said.
    Skinner, a lineman for Lower Valley Energy, and his passenger were able to escape with no injuries although most of their 5-ton rig was buried.
    “I glad they weren’t in one of our smaller vehicles,” Lower Valley Energy spokesperson Brian Tanabe said. “Thankfully they were in an area with cell phone service.”
    Skinner recently returned from a work trip to Haiti.
    “To go from that area to being in an avalanche is quite the swing,” Tanabe said.
    “I think I’m going back to Haiti,” Skinner said. “There’s no snow there.”
    U.S. Forest Service employees just happened to be in the area with a front-end loader and helped by starting to dig out the truck, Wyoming Department of Transportation spokesperson Stephanie Harsha said.
    “They were lucky that the Forest Service was in the area and were able to open a lane of travel right away,” she said.
    The Department of Transportation sent a plow and a wrecker to finish cleanup around 4 p.m.
    That’s when authorities realized there had been several slides in the canyon and closed Highway 89 for stabilization.
    “Right now we’re telling everyone to stay in Jackson,” Wyoming Highway Patrol Lt. Matt Brackin said. “There are several chutes down the canyon that our avalanche team is really worried about.”
    There were about 12 slides in Snake River Canyon on Monday and Tuesday, Brackin said.
    Avalanche danger was the highest some WYDOT officials had ever seen in Snake River Canyon, Brackin said.
    “The last thing we want is to open it and someone get stuck at midnight and no one knows about them,” Brackin said.
    skid luxury

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11117.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	197005
    today was extreme dontcha know.

Help Does anybody have a pair of 27.0 shells laying around I can barrow for a week. Turns out I left my boots in Skifishbum's truck. I have my intuition liners, just no boots klong story). I am staying at the hostel.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Pm sent.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Help Does anybody have a pair of 27.0 shells laying around I can barrow for a week. Turns out I left my boots in Skifishbum's truck. I have my intuition liners, just no boots klong story). I am staying at the hostel.
    doh! apparently you visited some smoke shacks with him too on that leg of the trip

hope to grab some turns with you this w/e
    I ski on 4frnts (hopefully new pink ones) blue jkt, green pants, 5,422nd best skier on the mtn
    skid luxury