Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    -11 F at my house right now. I had to go to Victor earlier, and car thermometer read -23F.

-22 F here in 4 corners at sunrise. Yesterday the high reached 1.

Here is to hoping that the recent influx to Bozeman are questioning the wisdom of the move. And the bark beetles are freezing to death.

On the bright side my 95 Subie started after sitting unplugged for 5 days.

Was 1F on top of Thunder a few minutes ago.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Ouch dude, nothing like a warm beer in the moose to help warm ya up!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Skiing blindfolded?
    LOL!

I'd feel awfully bad for y'all about the cold and all if you had not already had TWENTY TWO FEET OF SNOW!!!!

*Cheers from New England*

Pretty sure we've had more than that at Baker, considering Stevens has caught 210" so far this season and there have been a lot of "Jesus Christ, Baker got another foot" days... not hatin', just sayin' things are looking good at the two BBI event sites this season

I know Corbetts has been planned to improve, but flush toilets, almost 7000 sq ft and 180 seats?

Fugly

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jackso...64384e237.html
    Plans also call for decreasing the slope on Moran run 5 percent by “cutting the top of the face portion down and filling the bottom portion,” according to a Forest Service document describing the projects.
    “As most of you know, our mountain is more advanced and needs to have a little bit more area where we’re sending the intermediates and giving them a little bit more terrain,” Schreiber said.
    The resort also intends to rebuild the 50-year-old Corbet’s Cabin to a 6,800-square-foot building to house a 180-seat restaurant, ski patrol, restrooms, weather station and storage.
    “The poor cabin that’s up there now is pretty undersized and pretty overwhelmed,” Schreiber told commissioners.
    The cabin upgrade also includes installation of a septic tank and leach field, allowing for flush toilets, Schreiber said. The water for the toilets would be hauled uphill via the Aerial Tram to a new underground water storage tank.
    The summer would also get a new addition, a 1.9-mile zip line starting at the top of Bridger gondola and zigzagging down the mountain to the base.
    . . .

There goes the neigbhorhood

Anyone here happen to be driving to the front range next week that has room for one more? Will split gas

I attended the resort's presentation to the county commishes this week. They vowed to "not put a Six Flags" in at the village. That's comforting.

On another note, the via ferratta looks like it will be pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    I attended the resort's presentation to the county commishes this week. They vowed to "not put a Six Flags" in at the village. That's comforting.

On another note, the via ferratta looks like it will be pretty fun.
    Where are the 3 new lifts mentioned in the article planned to be?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettostyle View Post
    Where are the 3 new lifts mentioned in the article planned to be?
    From what I can tell it's going to be 3 conveyor to tow lifts - 2 between Teewinot and Sweetwater and the other up by Apres Vous for the St. John's Race Arena

the part about flattening the Moran by 5% made me laugh, as did Anna's comment about wanting to be more family friendly? I guess the days of thinking Jackson was only for extreme skiers is long gone. And corbets, ain't nothing wrong with that little cabin. To go and build some Vail Resorts style building up top seems silly.

Word on the street is village road has been packed on the weekends? Town still seems busy. Why not make winter as busy as summers? Good for makig $$ bad for peace of mind.

Give the people what they want!
    Waffles.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    the part about flattening the Moran by 5% made me laugh, as did Anna's comment about wanting to be more family friendly? I guess the days of thinking Jackson was only for extreme skiers is long gone. And corbets, ain't nothing wrong with that little cabin. To go and build some Vail Resorts style building up top seems silly.

Word on the street is village road has been packed on the weekends? Town still seems busy. Why not make winter as busy as summers? Good for makig $$ bad for peace of mind.
    Village road traffic was a colossal goat fuck - although I think WYDOT extended the light to alleviate some of the standstill. I've heard many locals say the only solution is light rail from Jackson to the Village.

The reason the resort is going family friendly is because its the only growing market segment in the industry right now. JHMR can't be the one-time bucket list resort for extreme skiers any more and remain profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    I've heard many locals say the only solution is light rail from Jackson to the Village.
    I haven't heard anybody say this, but its almost certainly cost prohibitive. I suggest we start with a north bridge and the tribal trails connector.

January is 40% off tickets if you show your season pass from any other area.

How is the new Gondola working out? Base area pressure alliviated? Good zone too.

SkiJunky here. I try to stay aware of the forest service permit application stuff, but had completely missed the recent phase. Interesting stuff. Link to PDF with map at the bottom. Looks like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride becomes a groomer to access lower casper bowl. I always looked at that area as a cool graduation for the upper intermediate to advanced crowd. Saratoga Bowl exit traverse seems to be above BWMH, and I'm having a hard time picturing the potential race arena and how far down it'll run, along with it's tow. You can understand the desire to regrade and add traverses, and prudent move to extend snowmaking to the top of Teton lift given early season weather uncertainty. Terrain park location fits well with the newer gladed terrain leading into it...

I didn't see in the application if the soft warm air of the Corbet's Cabin toilets will be replaced with gold plated bidets.

I didn't see mention of via ferratta in this one, but were they approved in the previous round that included the expansion of summer trails? Zip lines will be popular, albeit expensive.
    Also, potential doubling of guided days in BC, but relegated to RS/GR. (...and we'll see how the approvals of everything goes.)

Also, this weather forecast. Shwing!
    skid luxury

ya they already started working on the via ferratta, ran in to an OG former Exum guide who was working on it last fall...

heard that the tram is already rigged to haul water up, as it's the system they use to add weight for the load testing...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Check out this screen grab from the water vapor loop. Avalanche danger is going through the roof- wet wind slab on top of facets, surface hoar, and weird wind slab. And powder skiing too. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WV loop still.jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	481.9 KB 
ID:	196665

Siberian meat locker lately. Been a buncha -40 something lows in MT/WY/CO last few days. A modest inversion today was a reminder of how few classic inversion days there have been this season. It's been cold at all elevations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8823.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	196666

Name:	IMG_8833.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	196667

Hippies

Name:	IMG_8900.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	196668

Name:	IMG_8925.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	196669
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Once again, how bad is my drive going to suck from Denver home on Monday/Tuesday. Heading through Casper, supposed to be like 60 on Monday down here. Not stoked, though the 1500 now has Blizzaks and is solid, snow tires don't negate the wind though, sigh.

Glad to see the hoards have been scared off by the temps in town (maybe a little less so this afternoon)- it has been fucking glorious on the pass the last couple days. I usually spend most of my time in the Snake and Hoback Canyons, but its been way to cold to start from the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Trace Hardslab View Post
    Siberian meat locker lately. Been a buncha -40 something lows in MT/WY/CO last few days. A modest inversion today was a reminder of how few classic inversion days there have been this season. It's been cold at all elevations.

Name:	IMG_8823.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	196666

Name:	IMG_8833.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	196667

Hippies