Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backseat Skiing

Backseat Skiing

(Going to get lit up on this one... queue "send this to Epic")

Midwestern gaper who skis 15 or so days a year out west. Probably way too aggressive for my own good and have a tendency to get tossed in the backseat on uneven terrain. I'm 5'11, 175lbs on 173 Bonafies. First thing I suspect to get is "go take lessons" as back seat equates to shitty technique--Understood and will do. My question, how much impact does boot fit play into the equation?

Backseat Skiing

If they're loose fitting, that would be problematic. And get those shins up against the tongues at all times.

Oh, and take this to Gapicski or Alpyzone

I think a 173 bonafide is a little undersized for you. Probably preferable due to improved agility, many intermediate skiers think they prefer a shorter ski... and while it is personal preference I would say a longer ski and probably softer too will make things easier. There are a number a reasons for this: More edge in contact with the snow means you have bigger breaks, and a softer flex means when you start hitting variable chunder the ski will flex more and soak up more of the bumps (hopefully)... a deeper flex can also mean greater ability to vary the turn shape.
    Or maybe I should keep my mouth shut and let folks like whatever they want. I might guess that you wouldn't necessary prefer the 180 Bonafide... But something like the Peacemaker, a friendlier easier more forgiving ski might let you run them to their ragged edge of control.
    What do you mean why do I have duct tape on my skis!?! It improves edge hold, increases pop, adds durability, and most importantly, boosts horsepower by like 30%... what? your skis don't have horsepower?

Delete your account

Quote Originally Posted by Sillygoat View Post
    I think a 173 bonafide is a little undersized for you. Probably preferable due to improved agility, many intermediate skiers think they prefer a shorter ski... and while it is personal preference I would say a longer ski and probably softer too will make things easier. There are a number a reasons for this: More edge in contact with the snow means you have bigger breaks, and a softer flex means when you start hitting variable chunder the ski will flex more and soak up more of the bumps (hopefully)... a deeper flex can also mean greater ability to vary the turn shape.
    Or maybe I should keep my mouth shut and let folks like whatever they want. I might guess that you wouldn't necessary prefer the 180 Bonafide... But something like the Peacemaker, a friendlier easier more forgiving ski might let you run them to their ragged edge of control.
    A longer ski is not easier if one is out of balance, I don't know where this misconception comes from. A longer ski means more edge contact which means more ski to control. If you are not forward on the front of your boots it means there is a lot more ski in front of the boot and behind the boot that one needs to worry about when attempting to turn, stop, or frankly do anything else on snow.

But to answer OP, a boot is important but unless it is noticeably too big or too small, it won't make a massive difference at your level. You can check your cant which will certainly help rolling from edge to edge but as always, rolling from edge to edge requires a good stance. Go see a bootfitter (if you weren't fitted initially), ask them about canting and potentially custom footbeds. They will be able to tell you immediately if it is a necessity for you to get your boots worked on.

ma041a is the best Blurred troll yet.

So you're 2 inches taller and 15# less in this thread.

Great troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Remember when Blurred was Blurred11's BITD...hitting switch and riding it to the road at the mayor's house on grass and rocks.

Now THAT was a good troll.

This troll leaves a lot to be desired,...limp, flatulent, and disappointing...more like a Jer troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

So many maXXXX handles here now, ma041a, ma4149, etc. Sucks cause they're cool names, wish I was more creative like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillygoat View Post
    Good advice--Thanks Sillygoat.

A boot that is too stiff for you ability level can certainly toss you in the backseat in chop and ruts--if you don't have the strength, stamina, and reflexes to absorb the terrain with your legs. If that is the case, boots can be softened, but not be made stiff again (kind of like me). And of course a loose fitting boot will make it hard to control your skis which in turn can put you into panic mode (ie backseat). But basically it's not a gear issue.

It's not a gear issue. At the beginning of the turn, pull your feet back, by using the hamstrings. this will get you centered immediately, and more quickly than getting your body forward.

If the question is in tech talk its always a gear issue.
    Spending time and money acquiring gear is not only the most important part of improving your skiing... It is the single most important of skiing in general. Some of the best skiers I know acquire gear and never even ski on it before selling it.

As far as boots and boot fitting... If you get skis that are too big you can make up for it by getting boots that are too small. and vice versa.
    Try some snow blades, then some 220 DH planks. because ride whatever you want... wherever you want.

Also mounting point matters more to some than others, but if you haven't messed with the mounting point on a ski that you think is in the perfect spot... how would you know?...

I suppose I should have asked you whether you want to stop skiing in the back seat or if you like riding the tails without a care or concern.
    What do you mean why do I have duct tape on my skis!?! It improves edge hold, increases pop, adds durability, and most importantly, boosts horsepower by like 30%... what? your skis don't have horsepower?

If you don't have proper fitted boots, you will most likely never ski well. Weak legs, glutes and core is also usually a problem, this may very well be the reason you are tossed back seat.

WTF is going on

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Delete your account
    qft

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    This.

Seriously, how could anyone in their right mind start and maintain two ridiculous threads.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Oh, ... and get your boots aligned.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    So you're 2 inches taller and 15# less in this thread.

Great troll.
    Even the trolls suck these days.

Why can't anyone just give a straight forward answer to these type of posts it's not the boots or your technique. Ski switch backseat fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by mwthomsen View Post
    Why can't anyone just give a straight forward answer to these type of posts it's not the boots or your technique. Ski switch backseat fixed!
    Thanks.

And for the rest of you dickswingers: Do not mistake me for ma4149. That guy sucks.

No problem ski to your strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by ma041a View Post
    Thanks.

And for the rest of you dickswingers: Do not mistake me for ma4149. That guy sucks.
    Dude...

Backseat skiing is a function of several things either independent of one another or a combination thereof. It's technique driven for sure. But typically, the habit forms when a skier doesn't commit to the sensation of forward fall line skiing. Pressing onto their tongues and over the tips to engage the ski (standard camber). It's counterintuitive, and gets more and more prevalent the steeper the grade of slope, people who aren't confident in their approach and skill will tend to sit back to avoid "something" (it's mental), whereas the the advanced skiers know to stay over their skis which gives almost a sensation of jumping off from the hill (in steeper situations). Most of this is mindfuck - if you really sat back and look at the grade of the hill, it's not as steep as you think. But that doesn't help fix the problem.

Few pointers I've given campers over the years - your goggles are your TV screen - you must always be able to see your gloves in that TV screen. What does this do? Arms have weight, weight pulls your body forward, forward body means pressure on tongues and well centred on the boot and ski. If a hand slips past your hip? Boom, you've swung out and now you're immediately backseating due to kinematics. Maybe try this on a lesser graded slope - or - if you're already on a flat slope and trying to gain speed (which is totally a normal "backseat" function to just hang back to accelerate on roads and cat tracks and shit) get into a better pitch slope - one where you can thrust forward with your hands and chest (centre line matching fall line) letting the legs do the dancing.

Boots and gear can for sure have an impact - but this sounds to me like a poorly learned habit that needs to be broken. Your skis are fine - you're not charging waterfalls and cliff drops or Alaskan spines, no sweat. They're fine. Get the technique first and worry about gear later. But if your boots are super wriggly and you feel as though you're using your toes to grab the footbed - yep - get new boots that fit snug and solid.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ma041a View Post
    LOL. Well it was an easy mistake to make, I'm sure you understand.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Boot colour is key. Judging from your post I assume they are not Red. Get Red boots. Problem solved.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.