Thread: JH

JH

Did not see a thread for JH for this year... How is it looking out there? Considering early December trip (12/10-11ish)... Too early?

Thanks for info!

PS: Nice to be talking about white stuff again... it has been too long since our new president overdosed at the debate.

haven't started the thread yet bc we haven't really been skiing here yet- it's been warm...but it's just about time

we have snow in the higher elevations and some snow now down in the valley finally but it's still super thin

a few people got some turns during a bigger storm in Oct but it all melted off

chk out the webcams- will be skiing the thin white strip of death on Thurs tho so will report back
    http://www.jacksonhole.com/
    skid luxury

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4a236abd-1ada-4213-91eb-8dfb9b95475f.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	193133

From yesterday, though it snowed a fair bit last night, and I watched somebody ski through the bushes in tele bowl while driving over the pass this morning. Wish that October base had stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4a236abd-1ada-4213-91eb-8dfb9b95475f.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	193133
    Lookadat WROD, Jeebus.

Ouch...

This sucks.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Might be a blessing... when the faucet finally turns on there'll be no PWLs (except the high country maybe)

yea that's kinda been my thought process too- better for the overall snowpack and ideally once it does snow it'll be in masser quantities to make up for the slow start
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Might be a blessing... when the faucet finally turns on there'll be no PWLs (except the high country maybe)
    For sure, snow in the forecast for the next 10 days as well so its coming.

It only takes a couple of days for things to change.

I look at the Teton Pass Web Cam often.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

OP you coming out with here with kids you coach? or just solo trip?
    by the 10th there will most likely be quite a bit more terrain open but often they don't open the whole upper mtn until it gets closer to christmas week so just something to think about

at least the snow looks like it's going to be fairly wet/ dense over the 10 day forecast so will fill stuff in but it's not looking terribly cold, which would be nice

the pass cam is looking good tho! keep praying for snow kids
    skid luxury

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort will Postpone Opening

(November 21, 2016), Teton Village, WY – Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (JHMR) will postpone the opening of the 2016.17 winter season, and will not open on Thanksgiving Day for skiing and riding. JHMR will open the Aerial Tramway for sightseeing only Friday and Saturday, November 25th and 26th from 10am until 2pm. Tram sightseeing tickets will be $20 for general public and 2016.17 Season Passholders will have free tram access with their pass. Corbet’s Cabin will be open these days, serving up 2 for 1 waffles.

“Mother Nature hasn’t blessed the Rocky Mountain west with the conditions to allow for early openings. Jackson Hole is in the same boat as many of our sister resorts in Colorado and Utah that have also pushed back their opening dates. We’re all eager and ready to start up the ski season and will do so when we are assured we can offer a safe and fun product for our guests,” stated JHMR President Jerry Blann. “We are pleased to open up the Aerial Tram for sightseeing for the Thanksgiving holiday, giving our destination guests and passholders a mountain experience in lieu of skiing and riding,” Blann went on note.

Operations staff will be monitoring snow conditions daily, and it is JHMR’s intent to open for skiing and riding as soon as conditions allow. Daily updates will be posted on http://www.jacksonhole.com/weather-snow-report.html

just saw that on the good ol buckrail too

seems appropes
    skid luxury

I'm over this mentally.... at least this year.
    I'd choose a deep, shitty snowpack over a shallow solid snowpack any day, because a deep, shitty snowpack will eventually heal (and you can still ski on a deep shitty snowpack) and late april-may-june skiing are some of the best months to ski. and a shallow solid snowpack only takes one event to make it shitty. stack it up when you can I say.

shoot, i'm jealous of jackson's WROD, at least yall can ski. they've barely turned on the guns here in ootah

At least on the westside the October snow has stuck around on N. facing slopes above 8500-9000'. Still something to pay attention to.

My bad... I didn't mean to bring the 2014-15 snow plague from the PNW with me last Jan. I really should wash my boots more often...

We were considering a quick trip, no kids. My older one would not be interested until there is enough base to jump off things.

Looks like VT may be a better option for the next couple of weeks. You guys have nothing to worry about, it will turn around in no-time.