Page 10 of 107 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    The above is good advice. The best advice given to me when I was just starting to train for racing was an analogy to weightlifting (which I don't really do, but easy to understand).

You wouldn't lift max bench press every day without thinking that fatigue would set in. Same for cycling, hard days should be really hard (racing is perfect for that), easy days should be extremely easy. The middle is building and slowly elevating the base fitness so you are ready to really push yourself on those hard days.

Again, think of doing bench press every day. Some days are light weight to work on form and endurance by going light weights and high reps. Other days are going short reps and max weight.

Brown Santa brought me an Elite Direto X today, got it hooked up and went for the intro ride. Got me a new jersey and pretty happy with the potential of this setup.

Have some work to do on my tech set up.

Ride on!

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Brown Santa brought me an Elite Direto X today, got it hooked up and went for the intro ride. Got me a new jersey and pretty happy with the potential of this setup.
    Have some work to do on my tech set up.
    Ride on!
    Tech set ups can be tricky.
    I ride in our spare bedroom, with a 42" TV. I have a direct drive trainer, Kurt Kinnetic R1, and I bought an Apple TV for my set up. Apple TV can handle 3 Bluetooth signals. 1) Apple TV Remote, 2) My trainer puts a single Bluetooth signal for Power, Cadence, Speed. 3) I have a Bluetooth heart rate monitor. I use my iPhone with the Zwift Companion App to easily scroll through the screens or adjust the maps, but if you needed a 3rd Bluetooth signal you can bridge it through the Companion App.
    Zwift is directly uploads to Strava, and my Garmin Connect.

I have Garmin bike computer that I occasionally use with my Stages Power Meter which records Power and Cadence over ANT+. It uploads a duplicate ride to my Garmin Connect account so I can validate the power measurements between the Stages and Trainer.

Home Depot just got fans in stock and I'm going to pick up a good fan this week.

^^thanks Dee

Right now I've got an older apple TV and mirroring the Zwift app to the TV, no HRM yet. Could be wrong but I'm thinking if I add one I can connect it to phone and mirror both to the apple TV.

I don't use Strava or have a Garmin connect, probably won't use either of those.

Make sure you get a Bluetooth or Dual (BLE and ANT+) Heart Rate monitor. The older ANT+ that work with bike computers will not connect to your computer or phone. You would need a separate ANT+ dongle to connect that type of heart rate monitor.

Right now I've got an older apple TV and mirroring the Zwift app to the TV, no HRM yet. Could be wrong but I'm thinking if I add one I can connect it to phone and mirror both to the apple TV.
    This is exactly what I do. I have a MacBook Air w/ the Zwift app and connect my trainer (Wahoo Kickr Power) and my HR monitor (Garmin Dual) to it via Bluetooth and then "Airplay" to my Gen 2 Apple TV hooked up to my TV. I have 4 Bluetooth connections to the MacBook - Speed/Power, Cadence, Control-ability & HRM. Works pretty well. There is sometimes some lag on the TV but none to the MacBook. It's nice to have everything on the big screen.

Zwift, TR, Sufferfest etc

First time on the new Tacx, so freaking smooth and the decibel level is low. The Tacx has ‘road feel’, so you feel all the Zwift cobbles and wood-planks and gravel, and they all have a different and very realistic feel.
    Can’t believe how much better riding indoors is now. Used to be able to get a hateful half hour in on my rollers, now I don’t even think twice about jumping on for 90 minutes. How cool is it with all the pros hanging around Zwift right now? It’s fucking awesome.
    The Tacx has this cool light setup, as you pedal the light changes from blue to purple to bright red when you’re giving it the beans.
    Sick
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09B3BCE3-65C2-473A-A210-EA250F94F0B3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	645.9 KB 
ID:	325577
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Make sure you get a Bluetooth or Dual (BLE and ANT+) Heart Rate monitor. The older ANT+ that work with bike computers will not connect to your computer or phone. You would need a separate ANT+ dongle to connect that type of heart rate monitor.
    Got it, I see a Wahoo one for about $40.

Question about getting out of the saddle, my front end gets pretty wiggly. Bike is a Small, wondering if bigger bikes are more stable and less prone to that

Got it, I see a Wahoo one for about $40.

Question about getting out of the saddle, my front end gets pretty wiggly. Bike is a Small, wondering if bigger bikes are more stable and less prone to that
    Let some air out of your tires. A riser block is also kind of nice (most allow for no rise too).

https://www.rei.com/product/740915/c...ng-riser-block

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Let some air out of your tires. A riser block is also kind of nice (most allow for no rise too).

https://www.rei.com/product/740915/c...ng-riser-block
    Have a riser block but hadn't thought about PSI.

So far this is a hoot, should've gotten it about six years ago when the stay at home thing started

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    First time on the new Tacx, so freaking smooth and the decibel level is low. The Tacx has ‘road feel’, so you feel all the Zwift cobbles and wood-planks and gravel, and they all have a different and very realistic feel.
    Can’t believe how much better riding indoors is now. Used to be able to get a hateful half hour in on my rollers, now I don’t even think twice about jumping on for 90 minutes. How cool is it with all the pros hanging around Zwift right now? It’s fucking awesome.
    The Tacx has this cool light setup, as you pedal the light changes from blue to purple to bright red when you’re giving it the beans.
    Sick

Name:	09B3BCE3-65C2-473A-A210-EA250F94F0B3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	645.9 KB 
ID:	325577
    Dang I’m jealous! I been in this kinetic rock and roll (wheel on) for 1.5 years or so and like it enough but I know I’m missing out on wheel off setup. My Trump bucks had to go to the auto shop for truck front end work, maybe next stimulus check will be Zwift upgrade lol

Have a riser block but hadn't thought about PSI.

So far this is a hoot, should've gotten it about six years ago when the stay at home thing started
    Lower air is a good call, even in riser block. I put a hardish foam floor mat under my riser block as well to give it a bit of cushion on a concrete floor.

Yoga mat on carpet, riser block with low air pressure, and a big wide velcro ski strap around my down tube and front wheel.
    This helps with the stability, and when I store the bike out of the way I just lift it up (stays in trainer and pivots on rear axle) and stand it against the wall, front wheel does not flop to the side.

Yoga mat on carpet, riser block with low air pressure, and a big wide velcro ski strap around my down tube and front wheel.
    This helps with the stability, and when I store the bike out of the way I just lift it up (stays in trainer and pivots on rear axle) and stand it against the wall, front wheel does not flop to the side.
    Velcro strap next addition, already got the yoga mat working and noticed improvement with that and lower PSI.

Did my first race today, 3 lap Gotham in the D group. Thought I was going to explode half way around the first lap, ended up finishing alone but not DFL after getting off the bike at end of lap 2 to grab the towel I forgot to put on the bars.

Guess my beer drinking training regime all winter didn't really keep my fitness up from last Fall.

After the race I wanted to look at results and discovered how convoluted it is to sign up for zwiftpower.com, got that licked and heading to the fridge.

After the race I wanted to look at results and discovered how convoluted it is to sign up for zwiftpower.com, got that licked and heading to the fridge.
    With ZwiftPower I had to read the instructions a few times, but once signed up its seamless, you don't have to do anything but look at your results.

I got it.

The zwift ID confirmation process reminded me of when I worked for a software startup and something would come up that we needed to game up a work around for.

Anyone know if a Fitbit Charge 3 will suffice as a HRM on Zwift?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Anyone know if a Fitbit Charge 3 will suffice as a HRM on Zwift?
    No, your Fitbit hardware shows your live heart rate and records your heart rate data. The Fitbit app can then share that "recording" with 3rd party apps like Strava.
    For Zwift you need a heart rate monitor that broadcasts your "live" heart rate to the Zwift app.
    The Fitbit does not broadcast any live signal, only download recorded data to its own app.

No, your Fitbit hardware shows your live heart rate and records your heart rate data. The Fitbit app can then share that "recording" with 3rd party apps like Strava.
    For Zwift you need a heart rate monitor that broadcasts your "live" heart rate to the Zwift app.
    The Fitbit does not broadcast any live signal, only download recorded data to its own app.
    OK, thanks. Makes sense

Thinking of getting a Kickr Snap....from what I gather, I'll still have nearly all the "smart trainer" functions. Obviously a bit more wear/tear on my personal bike and tire. Anyone in here use the Snap and able to compare to the Core?
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Zwift, TR, Sufferfest etc

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalSJK View Post
    Thinking of getting a Kickr Snap....from what I gather, I'll still have nearly all the "smart trainer" functions. Obviously a bit more wear/tear on my personal bike and tire. Anyone in here use the Snap and able to compare to the Core?
    I just upgraded to a wheel off unit, but was running the Snap all winter. It a great little unit. You’ll get used to doing the spin down calibration a couple of times a week, only takes ten minutes. If you do order the Snap, make sure you get a trainer tire on your bike first thing. My first ride on the Snap with my regular road tire, ended with a very loud exploded tube.
    Added the Half PRL to my badge list today. I love that loop, Box Hill is my favorite climb on Zwift. The new Tacx Neo2T is a magnetic drive, no belts. So you actually feel the descents, you can sit up and freewheel down hills and not get dropped. It’s so cool. You enter your weight and your bikes weight into the app, and it figures out how to translate that to different grades and whatnot. The drive spins and you can hear the freehub clicks. Nuts!
    From today in the basement.

Name:	IMG_4337.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	509.2 KB 
ID:	325950
    crab in my shoe mouth

Thanks for the insight and feedback. I have a gravel bike (and MTB'ssssss), so i'd be riding it on the trainer. That is one of my sticking points. I think i'd have to get an entire 2nd rear wheel (slick tire/cassette) or completely wear through my gravel tire. That cost + the Snap puts me closer to the type you suggested....
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I just upgraded to a wheel off unit, but was running the Snap all winter. It a great little unit. You’ll get used to doing the spin down calibration a couple of times a week, only takes ten minutes. If you do order the Snap, make sure you get a trainer tire on your bike first thing. My first ride on the Snap with my regular road tire, ended with a very loud exploded tube.
    Added the Half PRL to my badge list today. I love that loop, Box Hill is my favorite climb on Zwift. The new Tacx Neo2T is a magnetic drive, no belts. So you actually feel the descents, you can sit up and freewheel down hills and not get dropped. It’s so cool. You enter your weight and your bikes weight into the app, and it figures out how to translate that to different grades and whatnot. The drive spins and you can hear the freehub clicks. Nuts!
    From today in the basement.

Name:	IMG_4337.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	509.2 KB 
ID:	325950
    So, if you put your bike weight at, say, 100 pounds, you would smoke the downhills?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

You can almost always use the supertuck in Zwift. To initiate the supertuck three factors must be met, and then you can stop peddling:
    1-You must be traveling at least 36MPH (58km/hr)
    2- The decline must be at least 3% (or steeper)
    3- Your power output must be below 11 watts
    This will allow you to maintain a speed equivalent to the pack putting out 2.5-3.5 w/kg.

You cannot super tuck while ridding a TT bike, or while your avatar is wearing no show socks (fake news on the socks)

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, if you put your bike weight at, say, 100 pounds, you would smoke the downhills?
    Just the opposite, as in real life the heavier person will go faster on the DH .

I was in a race last year with 2 laps on Innsbruck climb. On the dh I saw this name of a person behind me 45 sec or so and they were hammering like 4.0 on the dh. I was cruising at like 2.5 and kept getting scared they were gonna catch me. They never made a second .

I went to Zwift power post ride and saw that they weighed like 120 lbs to my 200.

Going uphill is another story