Page 20 of 107 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I like it Dee. We should maybe start a poll or something to figure out a day/time that works for most of us?

I am riding with another buddy and chasing the Cat C Pace Partner in Watopia at 10am MST this morning. Join up nerds. I am gonna try to hang for at least 45 minutes if not longer.

I have a trainer for next to nothing coming my way.
    It's either a mag or a fluid. Guy wasn't sure, but for the price, I don't care if I end up hating it and passing it along.
    https://www.saris.com/catalog/basic-trainers

I only have my enduro bike, so, I know I need to get a thru axle conversion for 148 x 12 (I have an inquiry in to Santa Cruz as to pitch 1.5?).

Is there a trainer tire that I can use with a 28mm internal width rim?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I have a trainer for next to nothing coming my way.
    It's either a mag or a fluid. Guy wasn't sure, but for the price, I don't care if I end up hating it and passing it along.
    https://www.saris.com/catalog/basic-trainers

I only have my enduro bike, so, I know I need to get a thru axle conversion for 148 x 12 (I have an inquiry in to Santa Cruz as to pitch 1.5?).

Is there a trainer tire that I can use with a 28mm internal width rim?
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but it's awesome you got a cheap trainer just don't expect a great Zwift experience if that's the goal. You really need a smart trainer for that. As far as tires are concerned, I just use an old road tire that is past its prime for outside. Usually 28mm which I imagine will work fine with a tube on a 28mm rim. Run whatever fits. It's really not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but it's awesome you got a cheap trainer just don't expect a great Zwift experience if that's the goal. You really need a smart trainer for that. As far as tires are concerned, I just use an old road tire that is past its prime for outside. Usually 28mm which I imagine will work fine with a tube on a 28mm rim. Run whatever fits. It's really not a big deal.
    I posted it here just thinking it was the best place to get a reply without actually starting a new thread.

Not expecting any sort of zwift thing.... until a few months from now when I'm bugging out I don't know if I burned one or two IPAs.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Google Robert Axle Project. Not sure of they have what you need, but i believe it got started to solve your thru axle question.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Google Robert Axle Project. Not sure of they have what you need, but i believe it got started to solve your thru axle question.

Thanks, they actually sell a product that I can use. I forgot about that company.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

So I've talked myself 75% of the way into pulling the trigger on a smart trainer. I love group rides (I mean, when it was possible), and since going to permanent WFH and losing my bike commute, I've been able to force myself to do 3 sessions on my dumb trainer a week, 60-70 minutes each, with a heart rate monitor to keep me honest. Here's the thing - I really don't like it, it blows. Will Zwifting on a smart trainer really turn this from something I force myself to do to something that I want to do? Possibly relevant: I watch Netflix during my rides now, and am not doing any intervals, just steady state riding in Zone 3. So needing to actually watch the screen would be a change for me and I might be a little bummed to miss my movies.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    So I've talked myself 75% of the way into pulling the trigger on a smart trainer. I love group rides (I mean, when it was possible), and since going to permanent WFH and losing my bike commute, I've been able to force myself to do 3 sessions on my dumb trainer a week, 60-70 minutes each, with a heart rate monitor to keep me honest. Here's the thing - I really don't like it, it blows. Will Zwifting on a smart trainer really turn this from something I force myself to do to something that I want to do? Possibly relevant: I watch Netflix during my rides now, and am not doing any intervals, just steady state riding in Zone 3. So needing to actually watch the screen would be a change for me and I might be a little bummed to miss my movies.
    If you have any competitive bone in your body I think it will totally change indoor riding for you. I look forward to indoor riding now when I used to dread it (was doing trainer road before). I started Zwift last year, but still didn't fully get it.

This year when I figured it out more and started racing random people on climbs, going for KOMs, just recently realized about levels and XP and drop shop points and all that stuff, etc I got really hooked almost overnight.

I wanna have a cool bike on there, I want the badges, I like racing strangers, etc......it's totally a video game with the side effect being that you get in killer shape doing it AND feel like you took drugs when you just hammered for an hour+. Instead of normal video games where you just feel like a POS for sitting on the couch for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    If you have any competitive bone in your body I think it will totally change indoor riding for you. I look forward to indoor riding now when I used to dread it (was doing trainer road before). I started Zwift last year, but still didn't fully get it.

This year when I figured it out more and started racing random people on climbs, going for KOMs, just recently realized about levels and XP and drop shop points and all that stuff, etc I got really hooked almost overnight.

I wanna have a cool bike on there, I want the badges, I like racing strangers, etc......it's totally a video game with the side effect being that you get in killer shape doing it AND feel like you took drugs when you just hammered for an hour+. Instead of normal video games where you just feel like a POS for sitting on the couch for hours.
    Thanks, that's a great endorsement! I'm competitive (like, the kind of competitive where I approach playing Scrabble with the in-laws at Christmas like a professional sport) and I enjoy video games, so...seems like a good fit, right? I guess I'm in. Now I have to see if I can actually find a smart trainer, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    95% of the time, I run Zwift in the background and watch Netflix instead.

I run Zwift off an AppleTV, so I switch inputs to Netflix on the TV (The AppleTV will run both at the same time). I then monitor the workout on my phone using the companion app (Make sure I didn't lose connection, etc.). Additionally, you can watch TV on one device (e.g. apple TV, Chromecast, etc) and run Zwift on your phone.

I choose an easy workout in Zwift that keeps me in "Base" zone. (I created a custom one for myself, but there are easy pre-made workouts in the app). I can feel the workout changing in the background, but it's not hard enough to require me to pay attention.

If anything, using a Smart Trainer when you're not paying attention is actually beneficial as the trainer keeps you from working too hard or too easy.

With that said, Garmin and Wahoo computers, as well as the trainer's app will all control the the trainer (for free). So, you do not have to use Zwift if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    95% of the time, I run Zwift in the background and watch Netflix instead.

I run Zwift off an AppleTV, so I switch inputs to Netflix on the TV (The AppleTV will run both at the same time). I then monitor the workout on my phone using the companion app (Make sure I didn't lose connection, etc.). Additionally, you can watch TV on one device (e.g. apple TV, Chromecast, etc) and run Zwift on your phone.

I choose an easy workout in Zwift that keeps me in "Base" zone. (I created a custom one for myself, but there are easy pre-made workouts in the app). I can feel the workout changing in the background, but it's not hard enough to require me to pay attention.

If anything, using a Smart Trainer when you're not paying attention is actually beneficial as the trainer keeps you from working too hard or too easy.

With that said, Garmin and Wahoo computers, as well as the trainer's app will all control the the trainer (for free). So, you do not have to use Zwift if you don't want to.
    Sounds like you're someone who was always content using a dumb trainer without Zwift then? Or maybe your workout really is structured (or capped).

Yesterday was a big finish to claim the Tron bike. I had 5200ft to climb to get it and the Quatch Quest badge was 5500. That is a tough route. It starts with the little climbs through the redwoods, then up the KOM climb, down and into the Jungle and then up the Alpe de Huez climb. My fitness is down from the summer, so 2hrs is fine, this took 3. Of course, the final hour on the Alpe, which was painfully slow.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Sounds like you're someone who was always content using a dumb trainer without Zwift then? Or maybe your workout really is structured (or capped).
    Well, this is multifaceted.

1. Most dumb trainers have terrible "road feel". I only liked Lemond Revolutions or rollers. Wheel-off smart trainers, in general, are all acceptable.

2. I do not find Zwift to be that entertaining for general riding, I'd rather watch Netflix. Frankly a program like "Trainer road" is perfect for the majority of my riding whether base or structured workouts. However, I run these in Zwift to earn drops to buy better equipment because of point #4 below.

3. All of my workouts are specifically tailored, ERG mode, workouts. The majority of my riding is at "base intensity" but this is done through a workout that varies between 65 and 72% of ftp. I never ride Zwift in the normal free-living, shifting, mode unless I am racing.

4. Racing on Zwift is revolutionary. This is the primary value in Zwift for me. There's something about racing that lets me dig deep and the heads up competition is very engaging. It doesn't replace racing in person, because I don't take it seriously as there are so many caveats (altitude, trainer accuracy, calibration, etc) however, in general, it's a good facsimile.

Anyone have any suggestions for a race on Saturday? I’m flexible that day so want to pick a fun one....and I don’t race much at all. Not looking to win anything here just looking to have some fun and maybe compete a bit. Sub 90 minutes would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Zwift, TR, Sufferfest etc

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for a race on Saturday? I’m flexible that day so want to pick a fun one....and I don’t race much at all. Not looking to win anything here just looking to have some fun and maybe compete a bit. Sub 90 minutes would be nice.

Go for a big warm up and be ready to bury yourself at the start of any and all Zwift races. If I had to pick one course to race on, it would be the Crit City Downtown Dolphin course. I really like the fast hot laps with just enough of a climb for my skinny ass to hang on tight with the big watt pushers. It’s a short but fierce race and a good way to get an FTP reading, it’s just a hair over 20 minutes for the 8 lap course.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Well, this is multifaceted.

1. Most dumb trainers have terrible "road feel". I only liked Lemond Revolutions or rollers. Wheel-off smart trainers, in general, are all acceptable.

2. I do not find Zwift to be that entertaining for general riding, I'd rather watch Netflix. Frankly a program like "Trainer road" is perfect for the majority of my riding whether base or structured workouts. However, I run these in Zwift to earn drops to buy better equipment because of point #4 below.

3. All of my workouts are specifically tailored, ERG mode, workouts. The majority of my riding is at "base intensity" but this is done through a workout that varies between 65 and 72% of ftp. I never ride Zwift in the normal free-living, shifting, mode unless I am racing.

4. Racing on Zwift is revolutionary. This is the primary value in Zwift for me. There's something about racing that lets me dig deep and the heads up competition is very engaging. It doesn't replace racing in person, because I don't take it seriously as there are so many caveats (altitude, trainer accuracy, calibration, etc) however, in general, it's a good facsimile.
    I get you on the racing aspect. The platform is fully capable of pushing you to levels similar to IRL races although I would say the effort is "different." Higher overall effort (less recovery) and the effort is less dynamic (on/off).

Hard to give you a specific race to join only because they're all time zone dependent. But one thing I'd suggest is finding something that has a large field of people in your class. You'll get to employ way more race/group tactics throughout the whole race with a big field vs. a small field where the chances of ending up riding solo are way higher.

Go to ZwiftPower.com. You can see all the races/rides and filter by course, length, elevation etc. You can see the results (most races rides are weekly) form last week, and see it took "C" level guys 42 minutes. You can get a course profile. It's handy to choose a ride. I find it easier to navigate/choose a ride than on Zwift directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Go to ZwiftPower.com. You can see all the races/rides and filter by course, length, elevation etc. You can see the results (most races rides are weekly) form last week, and see it took "C" level guys 42 minutes. You can get a course profile. It's handy to choose a ride. I find it easier to navigate/choose a ride than on Zwift directly.
    And there goes my evening.

Zwift, TR, Sufferfest etc

Local guy pulled the virtual Everest yesterday, freaking nutz.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4391303407

My Tron is looking fresh!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5235.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	531.3 KB 
ID:	349903
    crab in my shoe mouth

Buttah, do you notice a difference on the tron? Haven't ridden mine yet, hoping it will help in the longer badges I still have to chase.

Tarmac and climbing wheels felt better then expected, TT bike on the flats was noticeably faster. I'm hoping the tron will be the best of both.

Let’s get through Thanksgiving week and I’ll set up a ride early next week.
    45 minutes
    2.0-2.5 pace
    No fence
    Race results? Or allow late arrivals? (Can’t do both)
    Only our TGR group visible.
    Flatish course with a good climb or sprint to finish.
    Evening? 6 MST Is that too late for EST guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Buttah, do you notice a difference on the tron? Haven't ridden mine yet, hoping it will help in the longer badges I still have to chase.

Tarmac and climbing wheels felt better then expected, TT bike on the flats was noticeably faster. I'm hoping the tron will be the best of both.

It feels fast!
    crab in my shoe mouth

45 minutes
    2.0-2.5 pace
    No fence
    Late arrivals as I think we have a bunch here who will be uninterested in placings and we want to keep it friendly.
    That's 6PM MST/8PM EST is fine for me.
    Monday and Thurs are no beuno for me, but don't let me dictate the day. I'll join if I can.

45 minutes
    2.0-2.5 pace
    No fence
    That’s late for me but I’ll try to make work.
    crab in my shoe mouth