Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 102 103 104 105 106 107
Results 2,651 to 2,656 of 2656
    I did a ramp FTP test on zwift last night and the results are not believable: 276 watts, which is at least 20% too high. Are you supposed to stop pedaling entirely once you're not able to complete a minute at the specified power level? I treated the rest of the test once I tapped out as an interval workout, 3 minutes off, 1 minute on, and I think that screwed up the results.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I did a ramp FTP test on zwift last night and the results are not believable: 276 watts, which is at least 20% too high. Are you supposed to stop pedaling entirely once you're not able to complete a minute at the specified power level? I treated the rest of the test once I tapped out as an interval workout, 3 minutes off, 1 minute on, and I think that screwed up the results.
    For the ramp test you are supposed to keep pedaling until you physically cannot. Once the power drops from the current targeted minute it will end the test (if you are on ERG you won't be able to physically turn the cranks once your cadence drops, non-ERG your power will just be too low). It should auto-end the ramp test when this happens, not sure how you kept going with intervals. Other thing to remember is you should be seated for the test.

I find the ramp test overstates my FTP as well since I bias toward shorter power duration (strong legs). Once you know where your FTP likely is, try a 20 min test instead with steady power, 95ish % of what you believe your FTP to be. You can negative split it if you are feeling good the last half or 5 min.

Huh, yeah, I think I tapped out at 240 or 260, went down to 100 watts, went down to 100 watts as a cooldown, and the ramp test just didn't end so I tried to jump in on some of the higher output minutes. Maybe I should have just stopped pedaling once I couldn't keep up.

I did do the 20 minute ramp test one time, and it was so fucking painful that I couldn't bring myself to do it again. I'm probably going to switch to trainer road for targeted training anyways, so this is a little academic. Just thought that was a pretty weird reading

Bean and Jamal, thanks for the tips. First week of the Gran Fondo plan completed, felt pretty good. I found that spinning near 90rpm seemed to really help stay in the power target range. Oddly, it seem like my Erg only lightly works at that level, but if I get closer to 60rpm to stand, I can feel the Erg kick in.

Jamal, good reminder for me to get outside for those recovery rides. I've turned into an indoor rider....need to get out more now that our weather is getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Bean and Jamal, thanks for the tips. First week of the Gran Fondo plan completed, felt pretty good. I found that spinning near 90rpm seemed to really help stay in the power target range. Oddly, it seem like my Erg only lightly works at that level, but if I get closer to 60rpm to stand, I can feel the Erg kick in.
    If your cadence drops, erg mode will increase the resistance, which will make you slow down even more to keep power up, which leads to a death spiral. Might be helpful for people to try it with erg mode off if they’re not used to high cadence

I'm checking in after finishing week 3. The long, steady state intervals were hard. 20min at 85% of FTP, then 10min at 75%, repeat 3x. This was after doing 6x of 2min versions earlier. I took a big nap on the couch after lunch. Overall, hitting the power markers hasn't been hard, but I certainly feel the accumulation by the end of the week.