Page 83 of 107 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2662
    So interesting. I can't stand erg mode and never use it. It feels nothing like riding outside. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    I ride 90% of my rides on ERG as well. I did Trainer Road for a year and learned loads about recovery rides and created several that it had me doing, so whether I am doing a recovery spin or hard intervals I am typically in ERG. Two hours is about my limit as well.
    Everything I do is in ERG mode, except racing.

For Base Rides, I watch TV on the Big Screen and have Zwift running under it on a smaller monitor. This keeps me on target without having to pay attention. I can't put in miles starring at the Zwift world.
    For Workouts and Racing, I move Zwift to the Big Screen so that I can focus on the work at hand.

Alright---still riding outside a fair bit but finally brought the trainer back into view yesterday. I'll look forward to group rides whenever they come into the world.....but school me on Zwift racing really quick. If a casual guy like me wanted to race one day a week, how does that work? Just search on events and join? Like, I just sorta want to compete a little bit. I'm a solid cat C guy with very little ambition, so a team is probably not my thing, but I do like to have something to look forward to an maybe a race is it. How do you even get started on this crap?

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    Alright---still riding outside a fair bit but finally brought the trainer back into view yesterday. I'll look forward to group rides whenever they come into the world.....but school me on Zwift racing really quick. If a casual guy like me wanted to race one day a week, how does that work? Just search on events and join? Like, I just sorta want to compete a little bit. I'm a solid cat C guy with very little ambition, so a team is probably not my thing, but I do like to have something to look forward to an maybe a race is it. How do you even get started on this crap?
    Bunch of steps.

First, set up a zwiftpower account and link it to your Zwift account
    Then, find an event either looking through the calendar on Zwiftpower or on zwift.com/events
    Get a very good warmup. Get a very, very good warmup.
    Be prepared to hit it really hard for the first few minutes until groups form
    Stick in until the end

Zwiftpower will move you up to B or A depending on your power output and finishes within races. Generally you can't get placed in a category you exceed based on zwift power's rankings. The rankings are complicated, but well explained on their web site.

I find the Zwift Companion app the easiest way to find an event. Once you find one (they're on the "events" tab on the bottom of the app), you'll sign up for the C group (or the open class if the race doesn't have groups). Then, before the event, you go into zwift like normal, choose a world to ride in (doesn't matter where), and then in the bottom left of your screen a popup will appear to "join event". Click that and you'll be in the starting pen with a countdown to the start.

Most the info you need is here: https://zwiftinsider.com/how-to-race/

Yup. The racing is chill in that you can come and go to events as you please. No need for a team, etc. Can race once or 10x per day. All your choice.

I raced yesterday for the first time since April. It was 95 degrees outside and probably 105 in the garage but the wife was out running and I was on daddy duty.

2 Vornado's and a Commercial Grade blower + a mesh bag of ice and it wasn't too bad.

6 Laps of LaGuardia Reverse- Race started out as usual hard; off the gun. (340w for the 1st minute, 325 normalize for the first 10min). I was caught sleeping and missed the split. When I realized a group was up the road, all I could do was put head down and embrace the discomfort. 2 minutes at 420w and I bridged but was dangling 15m behind the lead group. That's the first hard effort I've done in a long while and I was cooked. My brain said I just needed one last dig, but my legs disagreed. I dropped back and waited for the second group, then sat in and recovered until the finish (average 275w for 15min). The group was a little disorganized and based on the yo-yoing on the small climbs some were barely hanging on. I took a flyer a bit further out than normal. 30s @ 850watts and I was clear of the group, 2nd behind a B ride that sat in the lead group of A's. Finish time 26:23 / 300w average / 337 Normalized.

I'm looking forward to training again after a summer of having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    For what it's worth, the "ZwiftPower" route is the way to go if you want to
    1. Have an easier / more detailed event calendar
    2. Be ranked against other riders
    3. See statistics / performance
    4. Track progress

However, you do not need to sign up with ZwiftPower to race or do an event.

You can always just look at https://www.zwift.com/events or the upcoming events window in the top right of the menu. From there you can sign up for an event or race without jumping through the ZwiftPower hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I find the Zwift Companion app the easiest way to find an event. Once you find one (they're on the "events" tab on the bottom of the app), you'll sign up for the C group (or the open class if the race doesn't have groups). Then, before the event, you go into zwift like normal, choose a world to ride in (doesn't matter where), and then in the bottom left of your screen a popup will appear to "join event". Click that and you'll be in the starting pen with a countdown to the start.

Most the info you need is here: https://zwiftinsider.com/how-to-race/
    sweet. yes this all makes sense. I've done a couple of casual races so I am on zwiftpower. Anyone have any recs on a group to watch for? For example I know the SAS races seem to always have a good number of folks and Team Time Trials are always full (but obvi geared toward the team thing). It's a big virtual world out there.

I typically end up doing either the "3R" or "ZHQ" races, but ultimately just choose based on the time I can ride and the length of the event.

One to watch out for is the group on Saturday mornings who sets their A group to 5 - 6 w/kg, B to 4.2 - 4.9 w/kg, etc. They always used to have a race starting early am MST so I'd inevitably click on the race, get confused as hell by the categories, and back away slowly.

If you’re at all hung up about fairness, then do zwiftpower. If not then just roll with whatever happens.

Just upgraded my trainer as my road drivetrain was pretty dead, so if anyone would like to buy my Direto, give me a shout. Have both campy and Shimano adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Just upgraded my trainer as my road drivetrain was pretty dead, so if anyone would like to buy my Direto, give me a shout. Have both campy and Shimano adapters.
    What did you upgrade to? Looking to add a wheel off trainer and might be interested in the direto. Been using a kickr snap for the past couple of years so the Mrs. and I could share. She’s on shimano and I’m on campy so a wheel on made sense. I’ve been considering the Kickr so I can ride indoors when rainy or hot. Right now I only ride indoors during the off season because it’s a pain swapping from a gravel tire to the slick tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    What did you upgrade to? Looking to add a wheel off trainer and might be interested in the direto. Been using a kickr snap for the past couple of years so the Mrs. and I could share. She’s on shimano and I’m on campy so a wheel on made sense. I’ve been considering the Kickr so I can ride indoors when rainy or hot. Right now I only ride indoors during the off season because it’s a pain swapping from a gravel tire to the slick tire.
    We picked up a tacx neo bike as we wanted 1 trainer for two people and clever training had a 25% off coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    FYI 11s Campy and 11s Shimano spacing is so close that it's nearly impossible to tell the difference and either will shift the other just fine. If you have 12s Campy, you can afford 2 trainers...
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

We picked up a tacx neo bike as we wanted 1 trainer for two people and clever training had a 25% off coupon.
    Nice upgrade. Was considering that but the missus is 4’-11” which is below the range of most bike trainers. She’s on a trek Domane that fits perfectly. Send me a pm if you decide to sell the Direto, I’m in Burlington. Hopefully you’ll get the trainer, I tried a clever training coupon on the snap a couple of years ago and they couldn’t fill the order, even pre covid.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    FYI 11s Campy and 11s Shimano spacing is so close that it's nearly impossible to tell the difference and either will shift the other just fine. If you have 12s Campy, you can afford 2 trainers...
    Good to know. Both road bikes we have are 10s not 11s so looking at 2 trainers or swapping a group set. I think 2 trainers could be fun, side by side riding in the basement! Easier for us to each fit in a hour long ride after work.

I am selling the Direto, price to local group was 450 or best offer and I'm fairly flexible on it if I don't have to ship (I dont have the box and it's a super awkward shape). My bro in law is in Stowe area and could get it couriered up if you're willing to wait.

PM sent. Thanks.

I am selling the Direto, price to local group was 450 or best offer and I'm fairly flexible on it if I don't have to ship (I dont have the box and it's a super awkward shape). My bro in law is in Stowe area and could get it couriered up if you're willing to wait.
    PSA - that's a good price. I just bought a used Direto on fleabay and it was almost $600 to my door after shipping and tax.

I’ll begin the TGR Group Ride for the first Tuesday in December.
    A week after thanksgiving, some time to get in some solo rides, get all the technology bugs ironed out.
    Follow DEE HUBBS on Zwift, send me a PM that you want an invite, and I’ll add you to the group.
    Some guys use their real names on Zwift/Strava so I try to use initials, not post Zwift screen shots with your real name, and not dox you on TGR.
    See ya Dec 7.

I had added a few new names, so I was looking at the spreadsheet from last season, here are our stats:

Last year we had 38 events from Dec 1st to April 15th. Every Tuesday and Thursday
    We had 37 riders on the invite list.
    We had 29 different riders join at least one event.
    We had an average age of 44.7 years old. (average of the 29 riders)
    There were 14 "core" riders, meaning 14 guys that showed up to more 25% of the rides.
    The average age of the "core" riders was 46.9 years old.
    The largest turnout to one event was 16 riders.
    The average turnout was 7 riders.

Notice I never said the word "race" once. We start slow, we will wait for guys (and girls) having technical issues. We keep together as a pack for 40 minutes, then the last few miles (5 minutes) we try to blow the group apart and see who still have legs into the finish line.
    Big shout out to the core crew:
    Dee Hubbs
    jamal
    buttahflake
    wendigo
    justcuz
    huckbucket
    Merlyn
    E.W.G.
    Vtskibum
    grmountainman
    Bennymac
    Full Trucker
    Dan PDX
    The Suit

Thanks for it keeping tight Dee!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Agreed. Thanks Dee!

Weather has been temperamental here so I’ve been jumping back onto zwift now and again (getting ready for race this month). Looking forward to a full off season of zwifting! Thanks for organizing Dee